Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Christoff posted:

Some places just label poo poo kickboxing/Muay Thai which usually means it's some turbo kickboxing poo poo with loud electronic music and a bunch of white moms punching a bag over and over.

Martial arts are great for fitness but don't rely on them for that. That being said a lot also offer crossfit/circuit type training classes

Reminds me of a lot of my HS gym classes, I know some people really get into group settings but the music is always too loud and the instructor is too enthusiastic to be OK.

I have been to a few college fencing club meets but it was always divided a bit between new and competitive members. My main interest would be making progress at my own pace towards new skills?

Hmm---I admit, I had hoped if I became interested in martial arts I could use it as exercise instead of just doing cardio/weight lifting. I tend to easily bored if I just run at the treadmill even if there is music/TV available. I feel like I'm not making much progress w/no goal other than improving general fitness levels.

Thanks will check it out later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Where in NY are you, and how much are you willing to spend per month?

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I've heard loads of people say "I'll start coming to classes when I get fit enough/lose more weight" - most of the people in this thread who go to a club will have heard this over and over. It's fear of humiliation. I was a fatty, with no muscle. Now I'm less fat, with nice muscle. I still eat and drink the 'wrong' stuff, but because I work hard doing Muay thai/BJJ/conditioning 2/3 hours a day every other day, I can get away with it. I don't want to be awesome, I'm happy with being less poo poo. A lot of the non-starters assume this is an all-or-nothing deal; it doesn't need to be. Even two hours a week will make a huge difference in your life.

Everyone's friendly where I train, we all help get the new guys over the "holy gently caress everyone's steaming me" freakout that most of them seem to have. I look at at like this: Doing martial arts has gotten me into moving my body, and taking pleasure in my physical improvement, in a way that loving around at the gym never did. The results aren't so obvious, I don't think, in that pure gym work will sculpt your body in a certain way, but for being able to actually fight and breathe and move intelligently and maintain calm under pressure, and to be able to take a punch/choke and to still think your way out? That poo poo's almost priceless. I bang on about this because it has literally changed my life, and I think BJJ coupled with some form of standup art, and a good, supportive club, can make anyone's life measurably better.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Alder posted:

Reminds me of a lot of my HS gym classes, I know some people really get into group settings but the music is always too loud and the instructor is too enthusiastic to be OK.

I have been to a few college fencing club meets but it was always divided a bit between new and competitive members. My main interest would be making progress at my own pace towards new skills?

Hmm---I admit, I had hoped if I became interested in martial arts I could use it as exercise instead of just doing cardio/weight lifting. I tend to easily bored if I just run at the treadmill even if there is music/TV available. I feel like I'm not making much progress w/no goal other than improving general fitness levels.

Thanks will check it out later.

Doooooooo it. Just be warned. I got into martial arts to keep off the freshmen 15 and now I do things like:

Post in this thread.
Deal with liability waivers and all that BS.
Let sweaty men manhandle me allll the time.
Post in this thread defending my style.
Became sensei's favorite punching bag (aka 'uke') for demonstrating techniques.
Work myself sore, all over, all the time.
Get cranky when I can't hit things.
Take people/get taken to martial arts lessons as dates.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Alder posted:

Well what does it matter? It sounds like it'd be more exercise than you're doing now. BJJ and Muay Thai or kickboxing are exhausting enough in their own right. Do both of them 2-4 times a week and that's a lot more exercise than most people get. You'll definitely see some results, regardless. And although I don't really agree with it. Depending on the coach you'll do your fair share of body conditioning poo poo/calisthenics. Burpees, push ups, sit ups, etc.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

de la peche posted:

Everyone's friendly where I train, we all help get the new guys over the "holy gently caress everyone's steaming me" freakout that most of them seem to have. I look at at like this: Doing martial arts has gotten me into moving my body, and taking pleasure in my physical improvement, in a way that loving around at the gym never did. The results aren't so obvious, I don't think, in that pure gym work will sculpt your body in a certain way, but for being able to actually fight and breathe and move intelligently and maintain calm under pressure, and to be able to take a punch/choke and to still think your way out? That poo poo's almost priceless. I bang on about this because it has literally changed my life, and I think BJJ coupled with some form of standup art, and a good, supportive club, can make anyone's life measurably better.

Seconding this. Since I start judo in March of this year, I lost body fat, gain muscle mass in areas I never had it before, pushed my body to limits I did not think was possible, improved my mental toughness, and made a lot of great friends in the club I train with.

Alder posted:

I went from being not active to training judo 4 times a week and going to the gym on non-training days to improve my conditioning for fighting. I used to be the same boat where I couldn't keep a gym routine going because I was lacking any motivation. Now that I want to compete in tournaments and I just got my Orange Belt, I have motivation to keep going to the gym to improve for the next training session.

For now, use marital arts to start getting exercise and go from there.

TacticalHoodie fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 26, 2014

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Alder posted:

I read the OP a while ago and now that I have free time I'm considering looking into martial arts. Oh and I'm out of shape if that matters but I'm not exactly going into it 24/7 anyways.

I am concerned if my height and/or weight might be awkward if I were to start though?

Height: 4'11
Weight: 135lb

I disliked gym and didn't care enough to do any sports clubs in school. So essentially complete beginner apart from mandatory HS gym class experience :v:

I live in lower NY/NYC area if you know any decent places I'm curious too.

I can afford some lessons/clubs fees but nothing extremely pricely. I have a small shared apartment gym too. Thanks.

If you're interested in something a bit more eclectic, our school Sword Class NYC has been showing enormous growth and new comers seem to enjoy the atmosphere. We've expanded our European weapons from just longsword and lange messer to arming sword + buckler and dagger fighting, and we also offer ringen (wrestling). There's a groupon available that will give you three classes of your choice for $30.

As for your size, in weapons-based systems size is somewhat of a limiting factor but ultimately technique will beat out pure strength/speed/size. A clear case of this is when Kristine Konsmo (a woman not too much bigger than you) beat someone more than a foot and a half taller than her (and not to mention much stronger/quicker) AFTER he broke her arm halfway through the fight because her technique is practically flawless (you can see the fight here). We have several girls in our school around your size, and so long as you have the right attitude you can still perform alongside the best.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Where in NY are you, and how much are you willing to spend per month?

I'm located just outside the city in the suburbs but it'll require a bit of commuting and I figured I'd list NYC too because most people know that area well. Actually, I hate to say IDK but I've never done any kind of sports related activity before is around $300 enough?

Christoff posted:

Well what does it matter? It sounds like it'd be more exercise than you're doing now. BJJ and Muay Thai or kickboxing are exhausting enough in their own right. Do both of them 2-4 times a week and that's a lot more exercise than most people get. You'll definitely see some results, regardless. And although I don't really agree with it. Depending on the coach you'll do your fair share of body conditioning poo poo/calisthenics. Burpees, push ups, sit ups, etc.

Burpees... that reminds me of that one time I thought it would be a good idea to follow a 15 min workout guides online. Um, suffice to say I don't recommend it :geno:

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

For now, use marital arts to start getting exercise and go from there.

Thanks for the feedback and I'm glad I'm not alone wrt to gym routines. I recall walking by the college gyms and wondering how dedicated some people were to running/weightlifting 4-5x a week but weren't on a team.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

So I'm taking the dive and buying a BJJ GI. Any tips on where to get them/ what to look for in the sub 120$ range. Thoughts?

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Verisimilidude posted:

(you can see the fight here).

It looks so much like shotokan sparring. Corner judges with the flags, central ref stopping the fight for each point. :3:

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

KildarX posted:

So I'm taking the dive and buying a BJJ GI. Any tips on where to get them/ what to look for in the sub 120$ range. Thoughts?

Trolling BJJHQ.com until a decent deal comes up. Or you can do what I did and buy a Tatami Zero G V3 Gi for 120 (plus shipping) at bjjwarehouse.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

ElMaligno posted:

Trolling BJJHQ.com until a decent deal comes up. Or you can do what I did and buy a Tatami Zero G V3 Gi for 120 (plus shipping) at bjjwarehouse.

Uh, new to this and all, but that is one intense looking DVD set. Am I being kinda picky or the sites kinda awkward looking? Most of the time it's mentions calling them to get more info but phone calls...

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Alder posted:

Uh, new to this and all, but that is one intense looking DVD set. Am I being kinda picky or the sites kinda awkward looking? Most of the time it's mentions calling them to get more info but phone calls...

BJJHQ (and MMAHQ) are sites with that sell one item only and they rotate them daily. Its overall less expensive then buying them at another stores, but you have to wait for what you want to buy to pop-up.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

ElMaligno posted:

BJJHQ (and MMAHQ) are sites with that sell one item only and they rotate them daily. Its overall less expensive then buying them at another stores, but you have to wait for what you want to buy to pop-up.

So, it's like woot? I wonder if I can get once a day email from it.

Verisimilidude posted:

If you're interested in something a bit more eclectic, our school Sword Class NYC has been showing enormous growth and new comers seem to enjoy the atmosphere. We've expanded our European weapons from just longsword and lange messer to arming sword + buckler and dagger fighting, and we also offer ringen (wrestling). There's a groupon available that will give you three classes of your choice for $30.

Thanks for the info. I originally wanted to learn fencing in HS but it was too small to get much of a following/funding apart from being a gym elective. During college the official fencing team felt standoffish and I lost interest despite looking forward to it for awhile.

I have watched videos w/broadswords and talked to people about kendo/kumdo clubs yet she warned me it was mostly angry men practicing in the college basements.

Oh and one of the reasons I didn't really consider classes like self-defence because I felt that it lacked structure and well direction?

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Alder posted:

Oh and one of the reasons I didn't really consider classes like self-defence because I felt that it lacked structure and well direction?

Basically true. A lot of the self defense things I've seen have been 'let's make up a scenario' and then 'let's make up a precise chain of events that let you leave the situation mostly because our hypothetical attacker stops doing anything.' Once you cover the basics (avoid dangerous scenarios, don't escalate situations, comply with 'reasonable' requests (e.g. your wallet is not worth you life), scream loudly, strike forcefully at sensitive areas) there's really not much to cover. I mean, all that is useful, but if you want something more reliable than all that, you need to drill drill drill against resisting partners. Soooooo... basically any sufficiently sporty martial arts. From there you get structure and direction.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
If I was in New York I'd definitely check out Renzo Gracie's and Marcelo Garcia's schools.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

the JJ posted:

Basically true. A lot of the self defense things I've seen have been 'let's make up a scenario' and then 'let's make up a precise chain of events that let you leave the situation mostly because our hypothetical attacker stops doing anything.' Once you cover the basics (avoid dangerous scenarios, don't escalate situations, comply with 'reasonable' requests (e.g. your wallet is not worth you life), scream loudly, strike forcefully at sensitive areas) there's really not much to cover. I mean, all that is useful, but if you want something more reliable than all that, you need to drill drill drill against resisting partners. Soooooo... basically any sufficiently sporty martial arts. From there you get structure and direction.

Yeah, it was a easy gym elective though, my favorite part was "Pretend to seriously choke me now" followed by "This isn't working." Top favorite sport electives next to weight room (free time, all the time), track (walking mostly for me), fencing (avoid the face), and archery (don't shoot at the teacher, kids).

Kekekela posted:

If I was in New York I'd definitely check out Renzo Gracie's and Marcelo Garcia's schools.

Thanks will add it to my list too.

BTW: What is "strength and conditioning"? Is it just training for the sake of training?

Alder fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Oct 26, 2014

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Alder posted:

I'm located just outside the city in the suburbs but it'll require a bit of commuting and I figured I'd list NYC too because most people know that area well. Actually, I hate to say IDK but I've never done any kind of sports related activity before is around $300 enough?

Oh yeah, that's more than enough. Most quality gyms in the city will run you aroudn 150-200 a month, and that's on the expensive end for the country at large because New York.

As Deathy McDeath mentioned, there's a few of us who train at New York Combat Sambo -- it's close to both Grand Central and Penn Station, we have a decent number of women who train, and the instruction and atmosphere are great. I've been there for about 6 years, you can PM me if you have any questions.

Marcelo's academy is also a great place to train if you're interested in BJJ, a few people from our club including our wrestling coach cross-train there. I'd avoid Renzo's, I've heard a number of complaints from people who used to train there.

Alder posted:

BTW: What is "strength and conditioning"? Is it just training for the sake of training?

Basically just doing exercises and cardio to improve your strength and stamina for when you're actually doing the sport. A 'strength and conditioning' class at a grappling gym likely won't involve any sparring or technique instruction, just hard exercise.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 26, 2014

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I'd avoid Renzo's, I've heard a number of complaints from people who used to train there.
I couldn't disagree with Mechafunkzilla more. I've been there for almost a decade now and would be happy to show you around and introduce you to women who train there. However, you did say that you were on a budget and Alliance/Marcelo/Renzo's are all relatively pricey If you let us know where outside the city you are, we could give far more tailored recommendations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Alder posted:

I have watched videos w/broadswords and talked to people about kendo/kumdo clubs yet she warned me it was mostly angry men practicing in the college basements.

There's several very good kendo clubs in NYC. Here's my favourite: http://shidogakuin.com/ (Or rather, the only one I've been too :P).
Kato-sensei is one of the very few 8th dans in North America.
It's been several years since I've been there, but they had a couple of strong female instructors as well.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I'd avoid Renzo's, I've heard a number of complaints from people who used to train there.
Just curious, but what's the nature of the complaints? (provided its not something that's gonna make the thread explode in drama)

I've never been to either Renzo's or Marcelo's but they're both places I wanted to check out if I could swing a BJJ vacation to the area.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

ImplicitAssembler posted:

There's several very good kendo clubs in NYC. Here's my favourite: http://shidogakuin.com/ (Or rather, the only one I've been too :P).
Kato-sensei is one of the very few 8th dans in North America.
It's been several years since I've been there, but they had a couple of strong female instructors as well.

Nice, I like how there are a few locations near I live so I don't have to commute into the NYC. I'll check it out since I've always had interest in it but like a ton of other cool sports it wasn't offered at HS level.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Kekekela posted:

Just curious, but what's the nature of the complaints? (provided its not something that's gonna make the thread explode in drama)

I've never been to either Renzo's or Marcelo's but they're both places I wanted to check out if I could swing a BJJ vacation to the area.

High prices/contracts, big classes, people feeling ignored by the top instructors if they're not involved in higher level competition, staph/ringworm issues. Just what I've heard, I'm sure lots of people have very positive experiences training there.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 26, 2014

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Alder posted:

Thanks for the info. I originally wanted to learn fencing in HS but it was too small to get much of a following/funding apart from being a gym elective. During college the official fencing team felt standoffish and I lost interest despite looking forward to it for awhile.

That sucks. But once you're of drinking age, there are a fair number of drinking clubs with a fencing problem out there. :v:

I'd recommend giving (Olympic) fencing a shot but know that the clubs in NYC can be pricey. The major selling point I can give over the HEMA groups that Veris was talking about is that injuries are rare and broken bones aren't even on the radar. Just the occasional stabbing to the legs, hands, or chest.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

BirdOfPlay posted:

That sucks. But once you're of drinking age, there are a fair number of drinking clubs with a fencing problem out there. :v:

I'd recommend giving (Olympic) fencing a shot but know that the clubs in NYC can be pricey. The major selling point I can give over the HEMA groups that Veris was talking about is that injuries are rare and broken bones aren't even on the radar. Just the occasional stabbing to the legs, hands, or chest.

Whoa, injuries from Fencing? IIRC don't most clubs rent/loan out protective gears? However, I can understand how sabre would be riskier :coffee:

BTW: http://www.bjjhq.com/ has a Fuji #7000 All Around Jiu Jitsu Gi for $70 +SH if anyone is interested.

Alder fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 27, 2014

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Alder posted:

Whoa, injuries from Fencing? IIRC don't most clubs rent/loan out protective gears? However, I can understand how sabre would be riskier :coffee:

BTW: http://www.bjjhq.com/ has a Fuji #7000 All Around Jiu Jitsu Gi for $70 +SH if anyone is interested.

The most common fencing injury is going to be bruises and welts. Yes you do wear protective gear that does a very good job of protecting you from anything that requires more than some ice. In competition, I once took a lunge with a broken foil to the chest and it didn't break through the jacket, although it did leave a pretty nice bruise that stuck around for weeks. If you're concerned sabre is actually the safest, but they're all very safe.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Alder posted:

Yes, yes. Like Gadamer said, fencing is real safe and only mentioned that as a joke. Fencing injuries are typically normal athletic injuries, e.g. sprains, pulled muscles, and other stress related injuries. Hell, I ref national events and have only had to call medical twice and both were for falls. Nearly all of the puncture injuries happen in high level competition, which, hate to break it to you, you're extremely unlike to participate in.

Yes, protective gear comes with the territory. Practicing in club can be done with just a jacket, mask and glove, but a full competition kit includes a mask, jacket, glove, plastron (or underarm protector), knickers, socks (I poo poo you not), and, because you're a chick, a chest/boob protector. Nearly all competitions I've ever been at include checking masks by punch test, i.e. seeing if a spring-loaded nail will pierce the mask.

Fencing is just as safe as any of the martial arts that goons in this thread do. I just wanted to make a joke, because Veris mentioned that HEMA fencer winning a bout after having an arm broken. If it's something you'd, I'd recommend looking into foil or sabre over epee. Right of way in sabre and foil generally evens out the playing field in terms of height disadvantage. And, really, sabre is the best choice, because it's just running and hitting and doesn't take an hour to fence.

Whatever you decide to do, just do it and do it now. And if what you're not feeling it in about a month, it's one of two things: wrong place or wrong martial art/sport. Both can be solved by choosing something else.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Also your knees can just explode in fencing.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

BirdOfPlay posted:

Do Olympic fencing clubs drink too? I thought that was a HEMA thing. I guess swords and beer go together well.

As for injuries, that broken arm was a bunch of different factors all coming together at once, and since then (2011) the quality of protective equipment has increased dramatically. Nowadays decent hand protection and jackets exist, in part because Olympic fencing companies have started producing HEMA equipment of their own. But things like tennis elbow and tendinitis can still sneak up on you if you're not careful.

I don't know any Olympic fencing schools that I'd recommend, but the Martinez Academy of Arms offers classical fencing on top of historical, and the maestros there are quite literally some of the best in the world. I know a couple people on university teams who practice there in their free time.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I'm being treated to a lot of awesome poo poo, first a head boxing coach from our local alliance is coming over to give a free of charge 3h set about strength (including gym) and speed training for boxers, and in a few weeks we'll have another 3h set about first aid in the most common MA related injuries.

I love this stuff.

Will also share with anyone here who is interested.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

BirdOfPlay posted:

And, really, sabre is the best choice, because it's just running and hitting and doesn't take an hour to fence.

Whatever you decide to do, just do it and do it now. And if what you're not feeling it in about a month, it's one of two things: wrong place or wrong martial art/sport. Both can be solved by choosing something else.

I admit, I probably have the most beginner exp w/foil and I thought sabre was considered more challenging? Not to mention renting gear was kinda expensive. Wait, does that mean I can take lessons for any of the 3 weapons at no particular order :v:?

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

Alder posted:

I admit, I probably have the most beginner exp w/foil and I thought sabre was considered more challenging? Not to mention renting gear was kinda expensive. Wait, does that mean I can take lessons for any of the 3 weapons at no particular order :v:?

It probably varies by club. I attend a fencing class run by a retired Olympic instructor and the way he does things is you start with foil, then learn sabre, then learn epee. Reason being is that foil is the most limited, so it's less likely stuff will go wrong. Sabre is less limited and also different enough that you need to pick up some new things. Epee has almost no limits at all compared to the other two weapons, so you don't get cut loose until you kind of know what you're doing. Once you have the basics in all three weapons usually everyone goes foil at least once on bouting (sparring) days and then you can do whatever you want.

A basic summary:
Foil requires you to have right of way, thrust attacks only, target is the torso (chest, stomach and back) only.
Sabre requires you to have right of way, cut or thrust attacks, target is everything above the waist.
Epee has no right of way, thrust attacks only, target is everything although going for the family jewels intentionally will get you yelled at.

Sabre is kind of the safest because fencing weapons are basically long metal antennas, and while getting whipped by one of those can hurt like hell, it's unlikely to cause injury. Now if you're mid-thrust (which is the only attack you can do in foil/epee) and something breaks, that might result in an actual stabbing. So an actual serious injury is more likely to occur in foil or epee as opposed to sabre, owing to the lack of thrusting in sabre.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Sabre also became less bruising after electronic scoring was added.
Way back when I was fencing, welts on the arms were common after a sabre session (Admittedly, we were not very good).

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Verisimilidude posted:

Do Olympic fencing clubs drink too? I thought that was a HEMA thing. I guess swords and beer go together well.

As for injuries, that broken arm was a bunch of different factors all coming together at once, and since then (2011) the quality of protective equipment has increased dramatically. Nowadays decent hand protection and jackets exist, in part because Olympic fencing companies have started producing HEMA equipment of their own. But things like tennis elbow and tendinitis can still sneak up on you if you're not careful.
I think drinking and recreational sports just go together.

I'm glad to hear about the improvements in protective equipment and especially pleased that they're having positive results. I had assumed that the risks were coming more from the structure of the bouting than could be solved with protective equipment, specifically, ringen being allowed.

Alder posted:

Pretty much, there are loads of clubs out there that do only one weapon. There is a strong notion to avoid starting with epee, as it makes the learning of right of way that much more difficult.

Sabre is fun. I enjoy it because of it's simplicity of action. The tactical toolkit is light, but the speed of action and the timing of the box force your actions to be ever tighter and more refined. Whether or not you can just jump straight to sabre, varies by club.

Speaking of clubs, the clubs serving NYC are all in the Metropolitan Division. I can't really suggest a club, because I don't even know where Lower NY is. All that I peeked at looked fine, it's just that most of the prices are a bit up there.

Buried alive posted:

Sabre is kind of the safest because fencing weapons are basically long metal antennas, and while getting whipped by one of those can hurt like hell, it's unlikely to cause injury. Now if you're mid-thrust (which is the only attack you can do in foil/epee) and something breaks, that might result in an actual stabbing. So an actual serious injury is more likely to occur in foil or epee as opposed to sabre, owing to the lack of thrusting in sabre.

Umm, that's not entirely accurate.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Well poo poo. So guys sometimes it's smart to tap out of a guillotine even if you aren't getting choked. A girl I was sparring me got me in a guillotine but I was blocking it and it just wasn't going anywhere. Still my head was jammed against her gi and now I have nice red gi-burned nose. :v:

BJJ is so much fun I can't believe it. 420 pull guard every day.

Edit: I swear I'm a dumbshit who doesn't realize stretching is magic. I've been having some knee tingling/minor pains the days after judo/bjj. I'm paranoid about my knees so yeah was loosing sleep over it. The thing is now I started doing a good 15-30min stretching session with a foam roller in the evenings after practice and every morning too. Knees are normal again. I gotta get it in my head that stretching is something you just gotta do so you can do the thing you actually love to do.

General Emergency fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Oct 28, 2014

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Buried alive posted:

Epee has no right of way, thrust attacks only, target is everything although going for the family jewels intentionally will get you yelled at.

Curses :synthy:

TBH, I just wanted to try a new weapon since I'd been practicing w/foil because it being the only one allowed for beginners/HS. Right now interest level is sabre>foil>epee.

BirdOfPlay posted:

Sabre is fun. I enjoy it because of it's simplicity of action. The tactical toolkit is light, but the speed of action and the timing of the box force your actions to be ever tighter and more refined. Whether or not you can just jump straight to sabre, varies by club.

Speaking of clubs, the clubs serving NYC are all in the Metropolitan Division. I can't really suggest a club, because I don't even know where Lower NY is. All that I peeked at looked fine, it's just that most of the prices are a bit up there.

Reminds, me one of the reasons I liked Fencing (other than Princess Bride) is how exact and precise movements were compared to some other sports. IIRC matches would be fast and I felt my height/weight mattered less vs footwork.

There's a few HS and recreational Fencing clubs local by me so I probably will be visiting those. I mean other larger HS had Fencing clubs just not mine and since it's not related to getting higher grades my parents thought it was a waste of time/$$$ :yaycloud:

Oh and HS gym classes were more about not getting maimed due to the teacher's negligence than learning new lessons. I had random people charge at me w/foils because.

Alder fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 28, 2014

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I'll be trying a Katori Shinto Ryu class this Saturday...just recently found out that there was a group here.
It's of the Sugawara-branch, but they don't do any aikido in this group, so hopefully it isn't too aikido-shaped.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Question - does watching the Rocky movies ever get old?

Specifically the first one

It's cool when he knocks out communism too

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Christoff posted:

No. Also Rocky V is actually good I don't know why it gets so much flack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

General Emergency posted:

Well poo poo. So guys sometimes it's smart to tap out of a guillotine even if you aren't getting choked. A girl I was sparring me got me in a guillotine but I was blocking it and it just wasn't going anywhere. Still my head was jammed against her gi and now I have nice red gi-burned nose. :v:

BJJ is so much fun I can't believe it. 420 pull guard every day.

Edit: I swear I'm a dumbshit who doesn't realize stretching is magic. I've been having some knee tingling/minor pains the days after judo/bjj. I'm paranoid about my knees so yeah was loosing sleep over it. The thing is now I started doing a good 15-30min stretching session with a foam roller in the evenings after practice and every morning too. Knees are normal again. I gotta get it in my head that stretching is something you just gotta do so you can do the thing you actually love to do.

I stretch every afternoon after I get home from work on days I'm not training I find just being by myself for 20 mins helps get rid of the tension of the day too, but I'm almost never injured. The only three issues I've had was 1) a bout of staph 2) a sore knee that I tore about a decade ago but that cleared up after a technique tweak and 3) a neck injury from being stacked too hard by a behemoth.

Never torn a muscle or anything else lifting or training.

Christoff posted:

I think it's the third one with a montage featuring a Robot, which makes it the best. Also the bit where Clubber Lang tells him to send his wife around so she can be with a real man.

• Locked thread