Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Duncan Doenitz posted:

Has anyone dug into why Sheldon Adelson is dumping millions into the anti-Amendment 2 campaign? What possible stake could an 81-year-old Las Vegas billionaire have in whether or not Florida allows medical marijuana?

He's fighting against John Morgan for the governorship. He supports medical pot everywhere else in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

He's fighting against John Morgan for the governorship. He supports medical pot everywhere else in the world.

Well hey, at least it's a little more complex than the average contest to see which candidate can poo poo on it more. That's an upgrade.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I'm following the three legalization campaigns in OR, DC, AK pretty closely in news reporting, my take:

- DC is almost positive to vote in Initiative 71, and by a large margin, maybe even 65%. Washington Post is (almost bafflingly considering their white, liberal readership) regularly whining about it, but that's not likely to sway many folks, and the perception of inevitability probably helps us more than it hurts. Downside is that Congress can mess with us on it, so the margin by which it wins matters way more than in a normal state, as higher margins put way more pressure on the Council and Mayor to defend DC's decision against Congressional fuckwittery.

- Oregon is looking pretty good though not definite; the No on 91 campaign raised way less money than Yes (and "No" got a lot of funding from LEO organizations, funnily enough). Yes is running TV ads, No isn't even bothering. The poll numbers aren't gorgeous, some even showing below 50% support, but even those have enough "undecided" that the Yes is consistently beating out the No.

- Alaska is pretty patchy, with both polls showing a clear loss and a clear win, but Alaska is pretty hard to poll so at this point I'm pretty unclear on it. The No campaign appears to be having some success with this narrative that "outsiders" are the ones trying to foist marijuana off on the proud and independent Alaskan people, which is a baffling argument considering how massively high the potsmoking rate is in Alaska. So if the Alaska one fails, my gut is that the "outside agitators!!!" narrative will have played a big role in it. Also their Yes campaign seems a lot more slapdash than the other states; it doesn't even have its own Twitter feed for crying out loud.

Overall if I were a betting man, I'd bet on legalization passing handily in DC but getting dragged out by Congress; maybe non-commercial legalization sort of kicks in mid-2015, maybe even de-facto with DC just refusing to prosecute any marijuana infractions, but commercial sales taking at least a year or two to fire up, maybe even until after the 2016 election. I expect Oregon will pass by a narrow margin and things will kick in pretty smoothly. If I had to lay cash, I'd say Alaska is going to miss this one, but I'll be only mildly surprised if they manage to pull through, and will expect very little hassle in enacting any passed legalization, except for disputes about jurisdiction with "dry" townships.

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot
Gonna be damned embarrassing if the capitol of the united states gets legalized weed but federal statute still classifies it as illegal, with no medical benefits at all.

Humphry
Oct 25, 2014

by XyloJW

peengers posted:

Gonna be damned embarrassing if the capitol of the united states gets legalized weed but federal statute still classifies it as illegal, with no medical benefits at all.

I think the negative effects outweigh the medical benefits so I am glad it's an illegal class B drug here in the UK. About 8 months ago I could smell cannabis coming from my neighbours house, he wasn't smoking it he was growing cannabis illegally. His windows where blacked out, I could see condensation on the windows and hear a whirring sound through the walls. He had turned his house into a cannabis farm, well I phoned the police because they dangerously hack the electrical meter for free electricity and it's a fire hazard. And since his house is adjoined to mine then my home is at risk. A few weeks later the he got raided by the police and he is now sitting in prison. The stuff is evil, I wish the penalties where harsher here inline with class A drugs like cocaine or heroin.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Humphry posted:

I think the negative effects outweigh the medical benefits so I am glad it's an illegal class B drug here in the UK. About 8 months ago I could smell cannabis coming from my neighbours house, he wasn't smoking it he was growing cannabis illegally. His windows where blacked out, I could see condensation on the windows and hear a whirring sound through the walls. He had turned his house into a cannabis farm, well I phoned the police because they dangerously hack the electrical meter for free electricity and it's a fire hazard. And since his house is adjoined to mine then my home is at risk. A few weeks later the he got raided by the police and he is now sitting in prison. The stuff is evil, I wish the penalties where harsher here inline with class A drugs like cocaine or heroin.

Sounds like your beef is with the law, not the plant.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Humphry posted:

Congratulations on being a caricature and a scold, I guess. Good job being a bulwark against humanity moving forward.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Humphry posted:

Weed should be considered the same as cocaine or heroin because i don't like the smell.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Humphry posted:

You registered yesterday just to post this, eh?

Humphry
Oct 25, 2014

by XyloJW

How are u posted:

You registered yesterday just to post this, eh?

Nope. Can't remember my ac.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3676075&userid=212498

Humphry
Oct 25, 2014

by XyloJW

SedanChair posted:

Congratulations on being a caricature and a scold, I guess. Good job being a bulwark against humanity moving forward.

If they legalize a medicine made from the plants then I am all for it. Not smoking yourself stupid because you wanna get high or feel the effects even if it's pain relief.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Humphry posted:

If they legalize a medicine made from the plants then I am all for it. Not smoking yourself stupid because you wanna get high or feel the effects even if it's pain relief.

Getting high is actually super fun :catdrugs:

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Humphry posted:

They tried that with Marinol, it doesn't work as well as the plant. Why gently caress with it when nature's got it right already?

fake edit: btw you suck and so does your posting

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Are you also against tobacco, alcohol and coffee?

A coffee addict scares me much more than a weed addict. Mostly because the latter doesn't exist.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mans posted:

Weed should be considered the same as cocaine or heroin because i don't like the smell.
I thought it was because if it was legal people would still continue to dangerously bypass electricity meters to produce it, like they do all the time with their home stills.

Humphry
Oct 25, 2014

by XyloJW

Mans posted:

Are you also against tobacco, alcohol and coffee?

A coffee addict scares me much more than a weed addict. Mostly because the latter doesn't exist.

Nope they are legal here. I smoke tobacco, I drink 5-6 coffees and 1-2 energy drinks a day. I cant drink alcohol because of opiate pain meds I take.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Humphry posted:

Nope they are legal here. I smoke tobacco, I drink 5-6 coffees and 1-2 energy drinks a day. I cant drink alcohol because of opiate pain meds I take.

"no you see, my drugs are ok because they're legal, nevermind that they kill/maim plenty of folks and are responsible for many problems in society!"

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I posit a direct relationship between consumption of marijuana and susceptibly to obvious trolling

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Guavanaut posted:

I thought it was because if it was legal people would still continue to dangerously bypass electricity meters to produce it, like they do all the time with their home stills.

Home stills are legal in the UK? That's pretty cool.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

Home stills are legal in the UK? That's pretty cool.
Technically. Home distillation of liquor is a tax code offense instead of a criminal offense, so if you're caught with one (something that they'll normally only ever bother with for people selling) you can expect to be fined duty for the amount you've produced, or what an auditor thinks that is, plus 5% to cover the cost of the audit.

I don't think anybody except farmers bothers anyway though, because the risks and effort outweigh the cost of just buying a bottle. I've never heard of anybody illegally tampering with a meter to run a still, or anybody outside of rural areas setting things on fire while trying to make moonshine.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mans posted:

I wonder how many people are honestly still on about banning weed simply because of the smell of the smoke. Maybe a requirement to vape when in public would tilt them.

:v:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Weed smell is basically how you know if an outdoors concert is good or not.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Humphry posted:

*drinks wine*

Humphry
Oct 25, 2014

by XyloJW

SedanChair posted:

*drinks wine*

I dont drink or rather cant because of medication... please keep up with the current before posting.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Humphry posted:

I dont drink or rather cant because of medication... please keep up with the current before posting.

But do you think alcohol should be illegal?

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Humphry posted:

You're an idiot. Tobacco is much more harmful to yourself and society. Congratulations on being a fuckwit narc.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Humphry posted:

I think you're a troll, but please do enlighten me as to what these supposed "negative effects" are. :allears:

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Brave New World posted:

I think you're a troll, but please do enlighten me as to what these supposed "negative effects" are. :allears:

http://youtu.be/54xWo7ITFbg

RichardGamingo
Mar 3, 2014
I know it's dumb to sign my posts, but I can't stop no matter how many times I'm told, because I'm really stupid and I want to make sure that shines through in everything I do and say, forever.

Best Regards,
RG
Legalize it.

Too many Pharoahs of Egypt were buried with a sack of cannabis in their hand for modern civilization not to understand there's something to the stuff.

Best Regards,
RG

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Humphry posted:

Nobody cares, but you seem to care about what others do. Maybe stuff it?

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012

Humphry posted:

This person in his youth constantly went to illegal raves and got so off his tits that he's now on opiates for chronic pain, for those wondering why he may resent people who just chilled and smoked some bud consequence free.

Exponential Decay
Sep 10, 2009

i bound fire to q

Humphry posted:

I cant drink alcohol because of opiate pain meds I take.

Opiates are worse than weed, hope this helps.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Exponential Decay posted:

I think you'll find that they only have a mild smell, and nobody sets fire to their house while trying to make them. These are the only two factors we should be considering in prohibition.

Flaming Sambucas, the worst drug.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Exponential Decay posted:

Again this.

Especially over long term. Have fun trying to piss when your prostate is the size of a golf ball.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I can't tell if you're all just using his posts as target practice or if you think he's serious.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

Inspector Hound posted:

I can't tell if you're all just using his posts as target practice or if you think he's serious.

He's obviously trolling, but doing a great job at the same time. Hitting all the talking points and sounding just convincing enough to fool people. He's clearly been around.

Humphry
Oct 25, 2014

by XyloJW

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

But do you think alcohol should be illegal?

NO. Alcohol is great in moderation.

Humphry
Oct 25, 2014

by XyloJW

Brave New World posted:

Anxiety, paranoia, cause mental illness's like schizophrenia, psychosis, can change your blood pressure etc...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humphry
Oct 25, 2014

by XyloJW

Benjamin Arthur posted:

This person in his youth constantly went to illegal raves and got so off his tits that he's now on opiates for chronic pain, for those wondering why he may resent people who just chilled and smoked some bud consequence free.

You are talking about what I did in the late 80's and 90's. That was 20 years ago.

• Locked thread