Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

MasterSlowPoke posted:

The old ones cost like a thousand dollars.

In other words, $55 and with free shipping.

e: top of page, pad bost

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
We played a 3,000 per side unbound game yesterday and did a battle report. Check it out

http://youtu.be/nZ7yLgMdfsE

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

BULBASAUR posted:

In other words, $55 and with free shipping.

e: top of page, pad bost

A dreadclaw was like 90 of Her Majesty's Royal Doll Hairs last I checked.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Got the chance to play with a Knight this evening and hot drat that thing is loving nuts. They only ever put one hull point on it while it carved up their armies. Unfortunately, comically bad rolling ended up costing me the game.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
I was surprised to see that they could attack AND stomp in CC. Usually crap like that is either-or.

Also, bulbasaur, a bit ago I thought you said something about move 6" then disembark 3". In 6th/7th you can disembark 6" from the transport after the transport moves 6". Though no part of your base can be more than 6" from the access point so it's a bit different from 5th in that regard, so basing your cool characters on 40mm bases will not be as big of an issue (it still kinda is for people like me, who have problems with social skills and society as a whole).

After going back and forth I think I might just make my GK terminator army again (looking like chaos). I don't know. Maybe I'll ally in SM for some pods with melta or something or a blob of guard. Not sure which is needed more.

Do you guys feel that the nemesis Teleporter formation is key to GK now? Losing the object secured always sucks just to deepstrike like they already can, though maybe a turn early.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.
I think if you're running GK these days the Nemesis detachment is absolutely the way to go, yeah. My version- which admittedly isn't all that great of a list by competitive standards, but can do fine in a more casual environment- is basically a Terminator Inquisitor (or two), crappy henchmen squad manning an Imperial Bunker (with Comms Relay), a Librarian, two Dreadknights with Incinerator/Psycannon, and then some combination of Terminator and Paladin squads with maximum Psycannons. The Inquisitors make sure you show up where you need to via Servo-Skulls, the Henchmen on the Comms Relay ensure most everything comes in turn 1, and the rest of the army shows up in the enemy's face and shoots it as hard as they can before moving in to assault things. I tend to skimp on melee upgrades, since Hammerhand does a lot of the job for you, but a scattering of Daemonhammers is probably a good idea to deal with vehicles.

Objective Secured doesn't really matter a lot for GK because they have so few bodies they are already playing a "kill or die" kind of game. If your alpha strike plan doesn't work, the enemy will probably wipe your entire army (or very nearly all of it) out before the game ends, so not having ObSec is something of a non-issue.

Bringing in Space Wolves to put some Purifiers or something in a Drop Pod isn't a terrible plan, but it's not all that needed, either. Honestly I'd probably prefer SM for some Scouting bikes (to handle heavy armor like other Terminators and to Immobilize vehicles so you can assault them to death) or Imperial Knights to have another fast, hard-hitting melee component. I guess SW running the Fenrisian special detachment could also work, though.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Was down at my folks' place again this weekend, worked on some new tiles for my modular gaming table. Added a third river board to do setups where the river runs the length of the board, plus a couple "side road" boards to vary the table configurations. These went much faster than last time, thanks to a combination of favorable weather and knowing what the gently caress I was doing. I was able to knock out three new boards, start to finish, in about a day, including time for glue to set. Gorilla glue is your friend when it comes to working with foam.

WIP of one of the new boards. The process is to attach a 2x2' sheet of 1" thick insulation foam to a 2x2' of hardboard using gorilla glue and some clamps (let sit about 8 hours, I do this overnight), then lay down the sidewalk pieces using PVA glue. I then coat the exposed foam with a PVA glue -and-water mix to seal for when I paint, and use spackle to seal the sides of the foamcore board.

Next comes the painting, where I paint the whole thing with a custom-mix of latex paint matched to the Astrogranite shade (via Home Depot). This dries pretty quick, so I'll do 2 coats, and add grit to the road sections during the 2nd coat. Then I paint the roads black (usually with a bit of gray mixed in). Here are some shots of the new boards in an almost-done state, testing new table configs.

I also picked up a set of the Citadel plastic table boards (already painted) from my old former FLGS on Friday when I saw they had them on sale for less than they retail for currently on the Games Workshop site. They'll need a tiny bit of touch-up work, but they make it really easy to instantly vary up the table/game type and fit in the table frame I made very easily. I'm working on some additional elements for it, including a runway so I can build an old airport/landing station for that table.

After some painting, Shadow Daishi and I played a 1k point game using some house rules we're working on. Iron Warriors (me) vs. Space Wolves (him).

The table setup:

Daishi just started not too long ago, so he doesn't really have any long-range firepower yet. His force was a squad of Blood Claws, Grey Hunters, 1 5-man squad of Wolf Guard, some Wolves, and a squad of Thunderwolf Cavalry joined by a lord on a Cyberwolf (or whatever). I brought a Chaos Lord, 2 squads in rhinos, a 3-man Obliterator squad, a factory standard Helbrute, and a 5-man terminator squad. I chose to deep strike the Oblits and terminators, Daishi deep struck his wolf guard terminators.

Highlights:
- We both got our squads in on T2 with Deep Strike, with Daishi dropping his terminators behind my lord and me dropping my Oblits behind his Grey Hunters. The Oblits revved up 3 Assault Cannons and totally shredded the Hunters.

- The Thunderwolf Cavalry and the wolf lord flanked around the side of the board and made a daring assault on the Dreadnought, which whiffed on both of its Power Fist attacks (snake eyes to-wound!). The wolf lord retaliated by scoring 2 glancing hits and a penetrating hit on the dreadnought with his frost axe, taking it down.

- My Chaos Lord took out the wolf guard champion in a challenge, then rolled a 65 on the boon table,terminators. transforming into a DAAAAAAEMON PRIIIIIINCE, which was rad as gently caress. This was the only time I have ever used the daemon prince model I own.

- The prince then got slaughtered by the Wolf lord and remaining terminators while Daishi's blood claws made short work of my other chaos marine squad. I managed to wipe out the hunters and Daishi's terminators, but ultimately lost by a narrow margin. Fun game and it was really close near the end.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

muggins posted:

We played a 3,000 per side unbound game yesterday and did a battle report. Check it out

http://youtu.be/nZ7yLgMdfsE

I really enjoyed this, it's rare to find a battle report that's watchable. Think I'll check out hte rest of the Fresh Coast reports too!

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
My favorite part about that Basileus abomination is the chains from the old Spiky Bits sprue glued to the tail. Wh- why are those there?

LingcodKilla posted:

I got ten real krieg rough riders I'm looking to dump....

:vince:

Sent. Let's shower and/or play Warhams together.

Shut the fff-ront door that is cool.

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 26, 2014

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Is the melta-knight the recommended version of the imperial rear end-raper?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

DJ Dizzy posted:

Is the melta-knight the recommended version of the imperial rear end-raper?

It's slightly cheaper and S9 melta is hard to come by, plus it's a longish-range large blast that absolutely decimates Terminators and the like. I definitely prefer that one, unless I know for a fact that my opponent is going to be rocking lots of 3+ or worse infantry and few vehicles.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I finally caved and ordered the FW cityscape tiles. I'll probably need 2 more sets to cover my table but it'll give me something to model my Death Guard on, at least.

Solar Auxilia, please be bad so I don't buy you.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
OK, I'll be the only one to poo-poo that DE Armies on Parade entry: It's a fantastic idea but the individual models aren't great, they're kind of what I'd call 'good tabletop quality'. Is that the general way of things with Armies on Parade: okay-looking models on a cool base?

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

I'd love to see what you think is golden daemon level.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Uh Kushgroove has some legit paint jobs.

The concept is great but overall seems kinda dark.
Though since I paint like a paraplegic four year old on crack I really shouldn't judge.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
^^ thanks :)

Ultramega posted:

I'd love to see what you think is golden daemon level.

...kind of...whatever wins Golden Daemon?

e: I'm not saying the models look bad, they would look fine on a tabletop. But that's it. They're very very dark with hardly any highlights or bright colors and the transports are mainly empty - they do come with figures to hang off the sides, for example.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 26, 2014

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

krushgroove posted:

OK, I'll be the only one to poo-poo that DE Armies on Parade entry: It's a fantastic idea but the individual models aren't great, they're kind of what I'd call 'good tabletop quality'. Is that the general way of things with Armies on Parade: okay-looking models on a cool base?

nope, that owns

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

I think it's the coolest thing that's been posted in this thread for the past 10 pages or so but eh this is SA so there's gotta be someone to nitpick it.

I ran out of devlan mud and I'm functionally broke until I get a replacement card mailed to me so I broke out some minwax chestnut stainer and tried it on a few krieg guardsmen and a chimera turret. Should have put it on a bit thinner because now my guardsmen are glossy and I can't do anything to them yet because they still haven't finished drying after like 12 hours but the chimera turret, after a little drybrushing and edge highlighting looks fantastic. I'll post some pictures of it once I get the whole thing painted.

Ultramega fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Oct 26, 2014

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
that dark eldar stargate thing is loving rad

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Krushgroove has a point. It could be even better. Imagine it with legit wizard van DE coming out of the portal.

It's still the coolest thing in this thread. :colbert:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Its an amazing idea and the portal is fuckin balls cool but the actual army is a bit lackluster. I didn't think they'd been painted until I saw the close up shots.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Moola posted:

I imagine GHs house to be like santas workshop, only instead of little wooden trains and poo poo its filled with warhams in various states of completion.

I promised I would post a picture of my game room when I got back. The room is a complete disaster at the moment as I have been rushing to complete my Word Bearers and pretty much ignoring everything else and tearing the room apart before I head to Warhammer World at the end of next week.

PeterWeller posted:

Krushgroove has a point. It could be even better. Imagine it with legit wizard van DE coming out of the portal.

It's still the coolest thing in this thread. :colbert:

Pictures of it have been blowing up all over the internet. I think conceptually it is brilliant and honestly the paint job is pretty drat nice imho.

Ghost Hand fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 26, 2014

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
oh lordy thats a lot of warhammers!

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Direwolf posted:

I really enjoyed this, it's rare to find a battle report that's watchable. Think I'll check out hte rest of the Fresh Coast reports too!

Thanks! We do our best.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Ghost Hand posted:

I promised I would post a picture of my game room when I got back. The room is a complete disaster at the moment as I have been rushing to complete my Word Bearers and pretty much ignoring everything else and tearing the room apart before I head to Warhammer World at the end of next week.

Pictures of it have been blowing up all over the internet. I think conceptually it is brilliant and honestly the paint job is pretty drat nice imho.

This doesn't look any worse than my own work room.

Except that in my case the work room is also the living room since I'm a bachelor with a tiny apartment. :shepface:

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Is Warhammer World the new Games Day or is that something else?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Business Gorillas posted:

Warhammer world is the shop at head office that also has a gigantic gaming hall and a bar. Its been around for over a decade now. Massive refit this year though so most of its closed down for awhile.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Business Gorillas posted:

http://warhammerworld.games-workshop.com/

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Just picked up a Dread today, and I have to say that I am looking forward to building it. How is a Las Cannon and missile launcher combo on the table top? Also, what is up with it not containing all of the weapon options? It doesn't even have the base multi melta.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

krushgroove posted:

they do come with figures to hang off the sides, for example.

This is such a huge pet peeve for me. The wingriders are like the best part of those models, it's dark eldar as gently caress, and everyone keeps leaving them out! I mean seriously, you have no trouble putting effort to your transport or to painting the models when they're on foot, but here they're too much effort? Just straight up incomplete model in my book. Might as well be straight black primer at that point. Then there's the people who can't even be arsed to put in the gunnery crew or the pilots. Why do you even bother assembling the drat thing, just put the sprue on a base.

Yes I know it's a personal preference thing but no gently caress you for ruining the best vehicle models in the range you dickless poo poo.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
:stare:

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
I don't sperg often but when I sperg I sperg about the most petty poo poo.

Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!

Hra Mormo posted:

This is such a huge pet peeve for me. The wingriders are like the best part of those models, it's dark eldar as gently caress, and everyone keeps leaving them out! I mean seriously, you have no trouble putting effort to your transport or to painting the models when they're on foot, but here they're too much effort? Just straight up incomplete model in my book. Might as well be straight black primer at that point. Then there's the people who can't even be arsed to put in the gunnery crew or the pilots. Why do you even bother assembling the drat thing, just put the sprue on a base.

Yes I know it's a personal preference thing but no gently caress you for ruining the best vehicle models in the range you dickless poo poo.

Show me on the tiny plastic spaceman where Slaanesh touched you.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

You freaked out Moola. Good sign you might need to take a break.

jadebullet posted:

Just picked up a Dread today, and I have to say that I am looking forward to building it. How is a Las Cannon and missile launcher combo on the table top? Also, what is up with it not containing all of the weapon options? It doesn't even have the base multi melta.

I wouldn't run Dreads any other way back when I ran dreadnoughts. One of my first models was the all-metal Dark Angels Dreadnought, which I still have and still doesn't have a base because it's a dreadnought and didn't come with one and since when do dreadnoughts need bases???

I also don't play with it any more because it's not good, especially with AP 3 not mattering against vehicles. Double twin linked autocannon dreads are popular for their ability to hit flyers and get a decent amount of anti-light vehicle shots in, so you might want to consider that? A multi-melta might be worth it if you drop-pod in.

Direwolf fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 27, 2014

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

You can get the arms fairly easy on eBay.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Ghost Hand posted:

Are you playing or just displaying? What's your list? I wanted to do Word Bearers but I never got a list I felt was worthwhile.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Yeah, I know I can get arms off ebay, but lack of cash puts a bit of a damper on that. I do have to say though, the fact that I don't have to glue the arms on is a plus, since I can just arm swap. At some point I think I will pick up a plasma arm just for the fun of having a plasma cannon.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

To the guy who sperged about not adding the extra bits and bobs to dark eldar vehicles. You try attaching all that poo poo on and not needing to worry about it falling off/fitting really oddly into a carrying case. There's a really good reason forge world has only made like...2 dark eldar models to date.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Are you playing or just displaying? What's your list? I wanted to do Word Bearers but I never got a list I felt was worthwhile.

I'm playing - but it's not exactly a huge cohesive list. It's mainly a bunch of Word Bearers along with some demon allies. The game I am playing is probably very much free form (mainly people putting large amounts of painted models out for a good time)... I'll get more serious about something competitive later. Right now its primarily Lorgar, two squads of tac marines, rhinos, Land Raider Achiles, Terminators, Gal Vorbak, Storm Eagle, some demons including a Demon Prince from FW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Ghost Hand please give me some tips for painting treads on imperial vehicles because it's annoying and I want to throw all my dumb battle tractors away thinking about having to do this like 10 more times.

• Locked thread