Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

quote:

We’ve also pointed out the difference between science maps and knowledge maps. The maps presented here are not knowledge maps. There is no attempt to answer basic questions of ontology, or to make sure there is a direct and unambiguous correspondence between the phenomena (science) and the classification system. Rather, we address a cartographic question—how one might partition science into a small number of like-sized groups and which groups are adjacent. The fact that these adjacency relationships have not changed dramatically since 1939 is quite remarkable.

We would also like to point out that while this study has produced a consensus map of science, it is not a convergent map of science. There is a substantial difference between
the two.
That seemed interesting too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Eripsa posted:

Network theory isn't just graph theory; it is more like category theory. Category theory is also a branch of mathematics, but it is used to unify mathematics and appears regularly in discussions in the foundations of mathematics.

It collects some common aspects of many branches of Mathematics, but not everything.

quote:

I take Baez's work on network theory to show how category theory unifies not just mathematics but all the special sciences.

There you go again. Networks unify all the sciences. Except when they don't because someone points out this is bullshit, until a few pages pass and you feel safe dragging this bullshit out again. It still stinks, sorry.

Oh, and by the way:

Eripsa posted:

Did you even read the paper? http://sci.slis.indiana.edu/klavans_2009_JASIST_60_455.pdf

edit: I mean, obviously you didn't read the paper.

edit 2: VVV you didn't either. The circle of science is a consensus map, not the results of any particular framing.

For the gazillionth time, nobody is convinced by an argument that hinges on us a. reading some paper on mises.organswersingenesis.orgarXiv or whatnot, and then b. coming to the same conclusions. Your argument needs to be convincing at least on a superficial level before you can expect people to bother reading any further.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Calculus unifies certain aspects of certain sciences.

Linear algebra unifies certain aspects of certain sciences.

Category theory unifies certain aspects of certain sciences.

And, here's the kicker... network theory unifies certain aspects of certain sciences.

Each of these works better for certain types of problems and less well for other types of problems. Network theory is not loving special, Eripsa. No one except you is claiming it is.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

For the gazillionth time, nobody is convinced by an argument that hinges on us a. reading some paper on mises.organswersingenesis.orgarXiv or whatnot, and then b. coming to the same conclusions. Your argument needs to be convincing at least on a superficial level before you can expect people to bother reading any further.
I skimmed over that paper and like a lot of the stuff he cites it seemed perfectly reasonable, just not necessarily relevant to the grandiose statements being made.

Eripsa
Jan 13, 2002

Proud future citizen of Pitcairn.

Pitcairn is the perfect place for me to set up my utopia!

Cefte posted:

Possibly the best response I could have gotten from you for that question.

Do you think that the pruning performed on the 20 source maps had any effect on the consensus map? Are you advancing the position that a choice of 'at least half' for consensus edges was not an arbitrary choice by the designers? Could you explain, more explicitly, why you attempted to dismiss the idea of sensitivity to pruning when the abstract of the paper so explicitly highlights it?

Could you answer the questions I asked?

Okay, good. You are asking about whether the particular choice of consensus has in influence on the results. This is a good question, and one that actually matters for the discussion topic of the thread. I'll broaden your question a bit to make sure everyone is following: I'm arguing that the "circle of science" structure is a feature of science no matter how you look at it. You are challenging me because it appears as if I'm making a claim to objectivity, that somehow the circle of science is "frame neutral".

This matters to the larger thread because I'm arguing that "fixing our networks" (ie, explicitly representing our social relations and their dynamics) will yield more successful political action. And I've been repeatedly challenged on the basis of the apparently offensive naturalism of the position, that somehow the networks themselves suggest what we 'ought' to do. This is structurally identical to the objectivity charge you are raising. So again, good question.

The answer to you question is: of course the choice of pruning matters to the map being generated. The consensus map is not an objective map of science, it is a consensus of perspectives, something like what Davidson called the intersubjective. Most people talking about "science" are talking about a structure with this shape. They might be talking about other things besides, and some people are talking about a completely different structure, and by making it explicit we can represent explicitly how these different perspectives overlap or come apart.

And we can also treat that consensus structure as itself an object of inquiry. In what sense is that a good consensus? Should we act to move or improve where the center lies? If I were making a claim to objectivity these questions would be settled in advance, but as Obdicut rightly points out these things change over time; the consensus of science today is not where it was 200 years ago, and is not where it will be 200 years from now. And we are not powerless in the passage of this time; ee can use our models of how it has changed over that time to anticipate and direct its trajectory forward. Which, again, is the whole point of network theory. Making these networks explicit not only explains how they work but also presents opportunities to control their behavior and direct them towards whatever ends we might have.

Let me put things simply: it is literally true that people organize their social spaces through markers of rank and social structure. Within certain contexts (like the military) these ranks can be perfectly explicit and specific, but in most cases it is ambiguous and interpretive. These ambiguities in the social order create a lot of social friction, and have created a lot of circumstances in which we pretend that social order doesn't exist at all, or where things are ordered for completely skewed reasons (like the profits of a billion dollar corporation). The point isn't that this is bad objectively, but just that it undermines our social capacity to organize ourselves. We've basically given up organizing ourselves, and we pretend as if a few very rich people can do that job for us.

So I'm suggesting we make rank and order explicit and give everyone DBZ goggles so they can tell everyone's power level. But not just as an absolute value: I'm suggesting that "power level" is a community-relative thing, and that estimations of power level must be indexed to community and scale for it to have the proper organizing consequences. Okay, so let's say we build such a thing, and now everyone uses them to organize.

My claim isn't that the quantification measures the true value of some objective fact of persons that would be the same independent of any frame; for one thing I'm making those values explicitly community relative. But more generally, I don't think it matters so much how you measure the thing; any form of measurement with sufficient feedback will give us some measure of control. The question isn't about which is the "true" value, the question is about which kind of controls do we want.

Just for instance, in my phil tech class I have my students run a class twitter stream and we keep track of our klout score to measure our impact on our social network. Over the three week summer course we have an ongoing project of maximizing our klout score and beating high scores from previous years. The activity is great because there's a clear correlation between our activity on the network (and who is engaging us) and how high the klout score jumps from day to day, so it gives the kids an immediate sense of what makes an impact on the network. That doesn't mean klout is an objective measure of network influence, and we actually look at other services (kred, etc) to measuring the same thing and talk about how they differ. Klout is not an objective measure, and its not the only measure. But it is a measure of influence, and we can imagine a reliable consensus of several such measures actually being a useful tool for tracking network influence- useful not due to objectivity but due to the control they give me over the issues I care about.

Eripsa
Jan 13, 2002

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I skimmed over that paper and like a lot of the stuff he cites it seemed perfectly reasonable, just not necessarily relevant to the grandiose statements being made.

Yeah no grandoise statements being made here.

http://arxiv.org/abs/0903.0340

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
The second you start talking about making loving Scouters not only an actual thing but also necessary to interact with society is the exact moment when you lose all credibility.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I had forgotten that strangecoin reintroduced a caste system by the end of thread, thanks for the reminder!

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"
It's amazing how predictably bad his ideas are.

yeah, Eripsa, none of that is relevant to the question that was asked of you. You seem incapable of understanding it. He's asking about the arbitrary decisions of anyone actually using network theory. You spasm off into horseshit because you can't answer it, or you don't understand the question.

Like this sad, pathetic bit:

quote:

I don't think it matters so much how you measure the thing; any form of measurement with sufficient feedback will give us some measure of control. The question isn't about which is the "true" value, the question is about which kind of controls do we want.

Measurement, one of the absolutely most fundamental questions/problems/aspects, whatever you want to call it, just doesn't matter that much. Why? Because any form of measurement with 'sufficient feedback' (argle-bargle unexplained term with hand-wavey lovely subjectiveness in it) will give us 'some measure' (more hand-wave ridiculousness) control (another undefined term).

But to return to the first: how can you not understand what the hell you're being challenged on about the pruning poo poo? That is such a basic concept in philosophy and you can't grasp it: why?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Eripsa posted:

Holy poo poo highly abstract maths can be a generalisation of slightly less abstract maths :vince:

The grandiose bit is when you take that and try to apply it outside of fields that are already standing firmly on a foundation of abstract algebra.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Eripsa posted:

As I said before, there is a fundamental thing lacking in all of these. In computing that's I/O, timing, etc; in Physics it's:

Obdicut posted:

Measurement, one of the absolutely most fundamental questions/problems/aspects, whatever you want to call it, just doesn't matter that much. Why? Because any form of measurement with 'sufficient feedback' (argle-bargle unexplained term with hand-wavey lovely subjectiveness in it) will give us 'some measure' (more hand-wave ridiculousness) control (another undefined term).

Measurement is connection to reality. Reality is boring and full of these icky people with opinions, and failures of everything he tries to do. Eww. Better stick to the parts that do not interface with reality too much. Safer that way.

Eripsa
Jan 13, 2002

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Holy poo poo highly abstract maths can be a generalisation of slightly less abstract maths :vince:

The grandiose bit is when you take that and try to apply it outside of fields that are already standing firmly on a foundation of abstract algebra.

The only area I've claimed it applies outside of discussions from Baez and Bechtel is to social networking. Baez applies it specifically to economics (and a ton of other domains) here: http://johncarlosbaez.wordpress.com/2013/04/23/network-theory-part-29/

My extension of this work is incredibly modest and relatively straightforward if you accept the picture they are telling. Again, I struggle to understand why the obvious interpretation of Baez's work is receiving so much criticism.

No one has provided any other interpretation of Baez's "network theory" in this thread. People say it is interesting but keep downplaying the results I'm emphasizing here. The best anyone makes of them is that "there are interesting connections between fields", but that seems to completely overlook the systematic methological program being advanced. If Baez isn't doing what I think he's doing, then what the hell is he doing?

Eripsa
Jan 13, 2002

Absurd Alhazred posted:

As I said before, there is a fundamental thing lacking in all of these. In computing that's I/O, timing, etc; in Physics it's:

Measurement is connection to reality. Reality is boring and full of these icky people with opinions, and failures of everything he tries to do. Eww. Better stick to the parts that do not interface with reality too much. Safer that way.

You might be interested in the Latour talk I referenced earlier. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtTaEw37BlE

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Eripsa posted:

The only area I've claimed it applies outside of discussions from Baez and Bechtel is to social networking. Baez applies it specifically to economics (and a ton of other domains) here: http://johncarlosbaez.wordpress.com/2013/04/23/network-theory-part-29/
Yeah, he does

John Baez posted:

I’m suspicious of any attempt to make economics seem like physics. Unlike elementary particles or rocks, people don’t seem to be very well modelled by simple differential equations. However, some economists have used the above analogy to model economic systems. And I can’t help but find that interesting—even if intellectually dubious when taken too seriously.

Eripsa
Jan 13, 2002

He takes the analogy more seriously (by way of game theory) here: http://johncarlosbaez.wordpress.com/2013/01/15/network-theory-for-economists/

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Eripsa posted:

No one has provided any other interpretation of Baez's "network theory" in this thread.

Yes, they have. That it's just a descriptive way of looking at things, and not in any way the far-reaching, transcendent, fundamental, unifying god-poo poo you make it out to be.

Which happens to be the truth.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Eripsa posted:

If Baez isn't doing what I think he's doing, then what the hell is he doing?
Categorification: taking something which already has a lot of maths and then replacing it by abstract nonsense.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Eripsa posted:

So I'm suggesting we make rank and order explicit and give everyone DBZ goggles so they can tell everyone's power level. But not just as an absolute value: I'm suggesting that "power level" is a community-relative thing, and that estimations of power level must be indexed to community and scale for it to have the proper organizing consequences. Okay, so let's say we build such a thing, and now everyone uses them to organize.
Oh come on you know there's only one proper response to that:

No wait, there is another one:

I'm going to be (slightly) serious and note that you're literally saying "my idea is to take a completely made up object from an anime series, create it, and use it in the real world".

How do you plan to do this, where will you get the money/time/manpower to do so, why would you want to do so, how do know it's even possible to make the DBZ scouter real (and no, Google Glass does not count as a scouter, no matter how much you want it to) and finally, are you aware of just how loving dumb "give everyone DBZ goggles so they can tell everyone's power level" sounds?

fade5 fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 26, 2014

Caros
May 14, 2008

fade5 posted:

Oh come on you know there's only one proper response to that:

No wait, there is another one:

I'm going to be (slightly) serious and note that you're literally saying "my idea is to take a completely made up an object from an anime series, create it, and use it in the real world".

How do you plan to do this, where will you get the money/time/manpower to do so, why would you want to do so, how do know it's even possible to make the DBZ scouter real (and no, Google Glass does not count as a scouter, no matter how much you want it to) and finally, are you aware of just how loving dumb "give everyone DBZ goggles so they can tell everyone's power level" sounds?

Hey wait.. he said that?!

Eripsa you fucker! I had the idea for a Dragonball based social network days ago, I even posted about it in this thread. You don't get to steal my intellectual property!

Also I enjoy the irony that Eripsa doesn't realize that power levels were in fact, bullshit. They didn't give an accurate representation of the information they were supposed to convey, just like Eripsa's system wouldn't actually do what it supposedly proports to do.

Caros fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 26, 2014

Cefte
Sep 18, 2004

tranquil consciousness
This rather long post doesn't address two fundamental underlying issues.

The first is why when the issue of pruning of network graphs was raised, you tried to dismiss it by tell me I hadn't read the paper, then when I quoted the abstract explicitly describing the pruning involved, you suddenly decided that pruning was very interesting and a good question, but one you'd previously considered.

The contrast between the two posts is really jarring.

The reason I asked you if you'd actually produced a network diagram yourself is because once you try, it becomes incredibly obvious that the network you get can be massaged to fit almost any structure you want, by arbitrary data selection and pruning. It's a cliche in the branch of biological sciences that I work that network diagrams are designed to obscure the absence of expertise in multivariate statistics. That's a preconception that's eerily prescient, given your explicit preference for network diagrams in place of scary math.

You spent an awful lot of words to say not very much - I'm selecting pretty much at random from what you posted:

Eripsa posted:

And we can also treat that consensus structure as itself an object of inquiry. In what sense is that a good consensus? Should we act to move or improve where the center lies? If I were making a claim to objectivity these questions would be settled in advance, but as Obdicut rightly points out these things change over time; the consensus of science today is not where it was 200 years ago, and is not where it will be 200 years from now. And we are not powerless in the passage of this time; ee can use our models of how it has changed over that time to anticipate and direct its trajectory forward. Which, again, is the whole point of network theory. Making these networks explicit not only explains how they work but also presents opportunities to control their behavior and direct them towards whatever ends we might have.
One possibility I take from reading this is that you've derived some sort of central limit theorem for network analysis, so you think that sticking together enough arbitrary networks you'll approach some sort of normal distribution that will approach a mean network singularity to inform us of... something. I'm not in any way a network expert, but that's the sort of thing that I think would fit really well in an actual paper, because it would be a proof, not a narrative, and a really interesting one, given my very limited understanding of modern statistics.

The other option is that you're either missing or sidestepping the point. I'm not arguing that the consensus network in that paper is five percent off, or that it should somehow be eternal and unchanging (that proposition, that you seem to be attributing to me, is so facile as to be an obvious distraction). I'm pointing out that unlike means, the production of network diagrams is at a fundamental level arbitrary and subjective and - as the paper you cited explicitly states - small variations in the arbitrary choices made by the designer produce large changes in the resulting end-product. These aren't properties that are conducive to any sort of quantitative understanding - you need to generate n networks for every dichotomized point along every arbitrary variable induced.

There will come a point where people start to think wistfully of bar charts.

Are you holding back a network theory central limit theorem? Because in terms of academic contribution to the world, I'm pretty sure that would dwarf any social network you can imagine, let alone design.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Cefte posted:

Are you holding back a network theory central limit theorem? Because in terms of academic contribution to the world, I'm pretty sure that would dwarf any social network you can imagine, let alone design.

I bet that now that you've said this he discovers this is what he was doing all along.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
^^^^^^^^^^
"This beatdown is a circular network!"

loving :laffo: that was beautiful.
Does anyone else remember near the end of the Strangecoin thread when Eripsa tried to write fiction? And he wrote a short "story" about some kids sneaking into their mom's room to use her Scouter and when they put it on their friend had a :krad: spirit dragon in his aura because of his karate class?

Eripsa's was dead serious about it too. That's how he wants the world to operate.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 26, 2014

Caros
May 14, 2008

Who What Now posted:

^^^^^^^^^^
"This beatdown is a circular network!"

loving :laffo: that was beautiful.
Does anyone else remember near the end of the Strangecoin thread when Eripsa tried to write fiction? And he wrote a short "story" about some kids sneaking into their mom's room to use her Scouter and when they put it on their friend had a :krad: spirit dragon in his aura because of his karate class?

Eripsa's was dead serious about it too. That's how he wants the world to operate.

"Move it, scrub, we're using the computer."

"What? No you're not, Mom said I can play on it until she comes back from work."

"Mom's not here dumbass." Matt pushed Brian off his chair and into the floor, and then pulled the chair out and gestured with a flourish. "Your table awaits, sir."

Jack jumped into the chair, dug around in his pockets for a small thumb drive, and pushed it into the computer, which made a satisfying THONK-THONK sound in response.

"What's that?" Brian asked, picking himself off the floor.

"It's a botnet," Jack replied with a grin.

"Jack's a hacker," Matt told Brian matter-of-factly.

"You better not break the computer or I'm telling Mom."

"We're not going to break the computer you dweeb. We're going to make you rich." Jack clicked around for a bit and was soon staring at a command line. "What's his account number?"

Matt pulled a wad of paper from his pocket: account statements from last season's audits, recently procured from his parent's office down the hall. Matt read a long string of letters and numbers off the paper, which Jack entered into the computer. After three tries and several more protests from Matt, Jack finally got the program running. On the screen, his blinking cursor had been replaced by a short list of labels followed by a set of numbers, some of which were static and others of which were changing:

code:
code:
~*~*~STRANGEHACK 3.2b~*~*~~

Instances: 50
Average transfer rate: 5.(variable) c/s
Target account: DWEEB (**********365) 
Target transfer: 4000±15c
Time remaining: 0h2m30s
The three boys watched with growing tension as the timer started ticking down.

"What is that?" Matt asked again.

"He said its a botnet, dumbass. It's like stealing."

"It isn't like stealing," Jack quickly replied. "It's just whipping. It goes away in like half a second."

"What goes away?"

"All the money we're making for you, kid."

"What do you mean, money?"

"Money, Brian. Strange. Don't you know anything? See, I told you my brother was a dweeb."

"You know what Strangecoin is, don't you Brian?" Jack asked earnestly, happy for the chance to show off his knowledge to another rapt audience.

"You mean the viewers?"

"Yeah, that's what the viewers are for. poo poo, we need those to watch it happen." Jack swiveled towards Matt. "Do you have any lying around?"

"Sure we do, they're in the office," Matt said, and ran off down the hall.

"So you know how the viewers lets you see how people glow? All the colors and shapes?"

"Yeah, my mom lets me look through ours all the time. She says it's like a game that grown ups play, but it seems boring to me. It's like watching the weather channel. Besides, me and all my friends glow white in the viewers because we're not old enough. Matt too. So I don't see any point."

Matt returned with three small black headsets that looked like high end swimming goggles, with elastic straps and completely black lenses with many sharp edges. "Put them on anyway, dumbass." The boys all donned the headsets, and a low hum filled the room as the viewers turned on and the images came into focus. After a few seconds warming up, the boys were greeted with a more or less identical perspective on the room to the one they enjoyed unmediated just moments earlier.

But there were differences that made their perspective unmistakably distinct. For one thing, the edges of the visual field seemed to curve away like a fisheye lens. Everything had the almost uncomfortably crisp color of HD video, the sort of color that is absent from the grimey dullness of the real world on all but a few days in spring. When the viewer first starts up and the image loads, a flurry of white outlines trace out the edges of each object in the visual field, indicating that the set's native object recognition has successfully identified the object and cross-referenced its various functions. There is a slight greying of objects whose specific identities were not known exactly, like the few books on the shelf in the background whose spines are too thin and distant for the onboard cameras to discern-- the viewer is pretty sure it's a book, but which book it can't yet tell, and will have to wait for the opportunity for a closer look. As the viewer's perspective on the world adjusts there are occasional flashes of white outline, as if the viewer is cheering at another successfully recognized object. The results of these miniature celebrations are tiny digital artifacts that sometimes surround objects between image refreshes, just barely perceptible evidence of the computer algorithms at work in the construction of the image.

The most salient feature of the viewers is the way it presents other humans who happen to be standing in the visual field. Through the viewer, all three boys were replaced by avatars of their exact shapes and proportions, but skinned with an animated texture that looked like the glowing surface of a writhing white hot star. The avatars has edges that indicated clothing but did not otherwise appear to be clothed or to have any specific anatomical features-- except for facial features, configured to closely resemble the person being viewed and move as the person talked and looked around. So these avatars looked like the people you expect to see, and you have no trouble identifying people by their avatar. Even still, a viewer of this scene would appear as if three glowing white ghost children were standing around a computer desk. If viewing weren't such a mundane experience it would have been a shocking thing to witness.

Underneath both Matt and Brian's avatar was a warning label in large red letters:

PRIVATE/MINOR
NO TRADES AVAILABLE

But underneath Jack's avatar was a yellow label reading:

PROBATIONARY
SOME TRADES AVAILABLE

Neither Matt nor Brian knew what that meant, and were embarassed to ask. But before they could Jack interrupted:

"It's almost time! Look! Look!" Jack looked back and forth from the timer to Brian. The timer hit 0, and the computer issued a beep. 20ms after the beep, exactly the round trip lag between Jack's botnet and Brian's account, Brian's avatar suddenly grew several orders of magnitude in brightness and intensity: still white, but now blindingly so. For almost exactly 500ms, or the average response time for the network to identify and revert whipping attacks, Brian's avatar continued to glow at this new intensity, and then returned to its previous rate nearly identical with the other boys. Although it was literally over in a flash, those 500ms were enough time for Jack and Matt to begin issuing a behavioral response: averting their eyes and the beginnings of a laugh. Brian also issued a behavioral response in his amygdala, experiencing a heightened sense of anxiety, making his eyes grow wide and his palms start to sweat.

And then it was over. The two older boys burst out laughing, while Brian continued to look down at his glowing body in nervous fear. "What did you guys do? What just happened?"

Jack looked at the screen between howls. "Well, Brian, for almost half a second the world thought you were making 4000 bucks a second. For just a moment you were the richest person in the world."

"That was stupid." Brian said.

"That was awesome." Matt said. "How did you do that?"

"I used a botnet. I set up a bunch of fake accounts that keep trading coin among themselves in a circle to ramp up their coin velocity. You can make as much money as you want in a botnet like this, just by trading around coins. You have to do it slowly and randomly so the computer believes its real for long enough to do something with it. What's why they call it whipping, because it looks like you can keep making more coin just by stirring the network, but you're really just whipping in air and not adding any substance. It's not real money because there's no real people to actually trade anything. And its not stealing because you aren't taking anything from anyone. We're just playing with bots, it's no big deal. After a few minutes of whipping I told it to transfer to your account, and when it did it made you glow really bright in the viewer. But then the network managers caught it and reverted the transfer and shut the botnet down and everything returned to normal. I can start up another one real quick if you want to see it again. You can do it a few times with minor accounts before anyone gets suspicious."

"How did they know it wasn't real?"

"Something about how the pattern of activity in the botnet doesn't fit the expected patterns of natural organization. I don't know all the details. I just know this script was released on the 2600 forums this morning and its supposed to be the only one that can still get past the Strangecoin network defenses, at least for half a second. The website is filled with people trying to use it to scam people, but as far as I can tell the only thing you can do with it is flash someone's viewer avatar like we did to Brian. It goes away too fast to do anything useful or really convince anyone you have more money than you do. I saw one guy with a set-up that created a bunch of botnets so that when one shut down the next started up. He kept flashing for almost 2 full seconds until the network shut down his account for suspicious activity. But even that didn't really work because it flickered. A real aura doesn't flicker."

"So big deal. So you flashed me, I don't see what's so funny about it. My mom's avatar is way cooler than that, it has this big black snake on the back because she trains at Cobra Kai." Brian reached up to pull off his headset, but Jake stopped him.

"You want to see something really awesome? I learned how to jailbreak my account and start my probationary period early. So I'm already trading real coins on the network. Check this out," Jake said. He entered a new number at the prompt to start another timer, this one shorter than before, and then turned around to present the left shoulder of his avatar to the other boys.

Although most of Jake's avatar was a writhing, milky white almost as pure as theirs, on Jake's left shoulder sat a dark green smudge that looked rather like someone stepped in the poo poo of a sick dog. Jake displayed the mark proudly to the others. "That's the 2600 official green avatar. I've gotten enough upvotes on the forum that they just gave me this. Watch."

The timer hit zero and the computer beeped again. Jakes avatar just barely perceptibly flashed for 500ms and then dimmed again. But smudge on Jake's left shoulder swirled and appeared to grow out from his body, coming to take on the shape and dimensions of a small yellow capacitor protruding from a green silicon board. After a few seconds the image sank back into the white background of his avatar skin, and the capacitor and board returned to the proportions of smudged dogshit.

"If I keep writing for the hacker forums, I'll eventually get a whole circuit board on my back."

"That's so cool."

"A black cobra is way cooler than a computer," Brian said, and ripped his headset off.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Christ that was even worse than I remembered. He even describes the goggles as being incredibly uncomfortable.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"
I'd forgotten how bad that was.

quote:

Although it was literally over in a flash, those 500ms were enough time for Jack and Matt to begin issuing a behavioral response: averting their eyes and the beginnings of a laugh. Brian also issued a behavioral response in his amygdala, experiencing a heightened sense of anxiety, making his eyes grow wide and his palms start to sweat.

I love this just crowbarred in there for no reason at all.

Also that Strangecoin can be 'jailbroken' by 17 year olds makes me feel very secure about the technology.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Cefte posted:

This rather long post doesn't address two fundamental underlying issues.

The first is why when the issue of pruning of network graphs was raised, you tried to dismiss it by tell me I hadn't read the paper, then when I quoted the abstract explicitly describing the pruning involved, you suddenly decided that pruning was very interesting and a good question, but one you'd previously considered.

The contrast between the two posts is really jarring.

The reason I asked you if you'd actually produced a network diagram yourself is because once you try, it becomes incredibly obvious that the network you get can be massaged to fit almost any structure you want, by arbitrary data selection and pruning. It's a cliche in the branch of biological sciences that I work that network diagrams are designed to obscure the absence of expertise in multivariate statistics. That's a preconception that's eerily prescient, given your explicit preference for network diagrams in place of scary math.

You spent an awful lot of words to say not very much - I'm selecting pretty much at random from what you posted:

One possibility I take from reading this is that you've derived some sort of central limit theorem for network analysis, so you think that sticking together enough arbitrary networks you'll approach some sort of normal distribution that will approach a mean network singularity to inform us of... something. I'm not in any way a network expert, but that's the sort of thing that I think would fit really well in an actual paper, because it would be a proof, not a narrative, and a really interesting one, given my very limited understanding of modern statistics.

The other option is that you're either missing or sidestepping the point. I'm not arguing that the consensus network in that paper is five percent off, or that it should somehow be eternal and unchanging (that proposition, that you seem to be attributing to me, is so facile as to be an obvious distraction). I'm pointing out that unlike means, the production of network diagrams is at a fundamental level arbitrary and subjective and - as the paper you cited explicitly states - small variations in the arbitrary choices made by the designer produce large changes in the resulting end-product. These aren't properties that are conducive to any sort of quantitative understanding - you need to generate n networks for every dichotomized point along every arbitrary variable induced.

There will come a point where people start to think wistfully of bar charts.

Much like economics, network theory is a facile bow wrapped on a box of the speaker's biases. That Eripsa uses both for his basic understanding/delusions is a joke on himself, to the world at large.

Will there still be a central-authority run bounty system for your "unheirarcal social network"? Or was that just a spitball that you walked back when the internal betrayal was made clear to all involved?

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

Christ that was even worse than I remembered. He even describes the goggles as being incredibly uncomfortable.

And getting reputation makes you look smeared in dogshit. This is important so he described it repeatedly. This was the worst garbage I've read in a while.

Caros posted:

PRIVATE/MINOR
NO TRADES AVAILABLE

I thought he said this was impossible to prevent...

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Imagine that, novel length.

Caros
May 14, 2008

I am really glad that Who What Now pointed this out to me. I really needed something to let off steam about my frustrating day, and pointing and laughing at this was totally worth it.

quote:

"Move it, scrub, we're using the computer."

"What? No you're not, Mom said I can play on it until she comes back from work."

"Mom's not here dumbass." Matt pushed Brian off his chair and into the floor, and then pulled the chair out and gestured with a flourish. "Your table awaits, sir."

Jack jumped into the chair, dug around in his pockets for a small thumb drive, and pushed it into the computer, which made a satisfying THONK-THONK sound in response.

Improper comma use in the first sentence, this is a good sign of things to come. Two sentences in there is no definitive speaker, surrounding or setting.

You don't push people into the floor, you push them onto the floor. Most people use desks for their computers and the dialogue is generally silly and nonsensical.

Eripsa continues to not understand how to use commas. Four commas in one sentence. More to the point this has the opposite of Eripsa's usual problem insofar as he is writing only single line paragraphs for the first chunk of this, only to turn into giant walls o' text as things continue.

quote:

"What's that?" Brian asked, picking himself off the floor.

"It's a botnet," Jack replied with a grin.

"Jack's a hacker," Matt told Brian matter-of-factly.

"You better not break the computer or I'm telling Mom."

"We're not going to break the computer you dweeb. We're going to make you rich." Jack clicked around for a bit and was soon staring at a command line. "What's his account number?"

It isn't a botnet. It is a flash drive that at most contains progamming to control a bot net. No hacker would ever say 'It's a bot net'.

Weird comma usage at the end of these single word sentences. The phrase Jack's a hacker should not be ended with a comma. Also I have no idea the age of these characters or anything else. Is Brian five? Ten? I know nothing about them at all other than their names. But I suppose that isn't important.

quote:

Matt pulled a wad of paper from his pocket: account statements from last season's audits, recently procured from his parent's office down the hall. Matt read a long string of letters and numbers off the paper, which Jack entered into the computer. After three tries and several more protests from Matt, Jack finally got the program running. On the screen, his blinking cursor had been replaced by a short list of labels followed by a set of numbers, some of which were static and others of which were changing:

In the grim dark future Eripsa is proposing, who the gently caress uses paper accounting for their finances? More to the point, what kind of financial statements does Eripsa think fit into someone's pocket. As an actual adult, I can say that any paper filings I keep are full page documents.

Bank account numbers generally do not contain letters, by virtue of being numbers.

quote:

"What is that?" Matt asked again.

"He said its a botnet, dumbass. It's like stealing."

"It isn't like stealing," Jack quickly replied. "It's just whipping. It goes away in like half a second."

"What goes away?"

"All the money we're making for you, kid."

"What do you mean, money?"

Does Eripsa think that people talk like this? Eripsa, helpful tip. A comma is meant to indicate a pause in a sentence. So the phrase "All the money we're making for you, Kid" read aloud would be "All the money we're making for you [pause] kid." Which reads really oddly.

quote:

"Money, Brian. Strange. Don't you know anything? See, I told you my brother was a dweeb."

"You know what Strangecoin is, don't you Brian?" Jack asked earnestly, happy for the chance to show off his knowledge to another rapt audience.

"You mean the viewers?"

"Yeah, that's what the viewers are for. poo poo, we need those to watch it happen." Jack swiveled towards Matt. "Do you have any lying around?"

"Sure we do, they're in the office," Matt said, and ran off down the hall.

"So you know how the viewers lets you see how people glow? All the colors and shapes?"

I refuse to believe anyone would use a currency that would be called strange. It just sounds so weird and makes me think they're talking about sex. Comma abuse continues.

Eripsa also has a bad tendency of starting sentences with the same word, a similar word, or a word starting with a similar letter. YYYSS, in this example. That is visually unappealing and a reader would notice it. Try and vary up the dialogue and word choice.

quote:

"Yeah, my mom lets me look through ours all the time. She says it's like a game that grown ups play, but it seems boring to me. It's like watching the weather channel. Besides, me and all my friends glow white in the viewers because we're not old enough. Matt too. So I don't see any point."

Matt returned with three small black headsets that looked like high end swimming goggles, with elastic straps and completely black lenses with many sharp edges. "Put them on anyway, dumbass." The boys all donned the headsets, and a low hum filled the room as the viewers turned on and the images came into focus. After a few seconds warming up, the boys were greeted with a more or less identical perspective on the room to the one they enjoyed unmediated just moments earlier.

But there were differences that made their perspective unmistakably distinct. For one thing, the edges of the visual field seemed to curve away like a fisheye lens. Everything had the almost uncomfortably crisp color of HD video, the sort of color that is absent from the grimey dullness of the real world on all but a few days in spring. When the viewer first starts up and the image loads, a flurry of white outlines trace out the edges of each object in the visual field, indicating that the set's native object recognition has successfully identified the object and cross-referenced its various functions. There is a slight greying of objects whose specific identities were not known exactly, like the few books on the shelf in the background whose spines are too thin and distant for the onboard cameras to discern-- the viewer is pretty sure it's a book, but which book it can't yet tell, and will have to wait for the opportunity for a closer look. As the viewer's perspective on the world adjusts there are occasional flashes of white outline, as if the viewer is cheering at another successfully recognized object. The results of these miniature celebrations are tiny digital artifacts that sometimes surround objects between image refreshes, just barely perceptible evidence of the computer algorithms at work in the construction of the image.

No kid old enough to use a computer thinks that the Weather Channel is a game grown ups play.

This is the third iteration of the word dumbass. Children vary their insults unless they are homing in on a character flaw or repeating for effect. Try a new insult maybe?

The final paragraph gets into the meat of Eripsa's writing style and goal. He isn't here to tell a story, he is here to jerk off onto a page about his cool theoretical technology that doesn't and wouldn't exist. Erpisa won't go into detail about any of his characters, but by god will he give a two hundred word rant about how the world looks through magic goggles.

Occational tense problems abound through the work, but a good example in this paragraph would be "There is a slight...." Everything else is past tense, while this is present tense.

I have no idea what possible application there could be for the features described of this technology. Congratulations, you have developed technology that can recognize a potted plant, or a book etc. Why the gently caress would any electronics consumer care about that? These things sound like they would be incredibly distracting and functionally useless.

quote:

The most salient feature of the viewers is the way it presents other humans who happen to be standing in the visual field. Through the viewer, all three boys were replaced by avatars of their exact shapes and proportions, but skinned with an animated texture that looked like the glowing surface of a writhing white hot star. The avatars has edges that indicated clothing but did not otherwise appear to be clothed or to have any specific anatomical features-- except for facial features, configured to closely resemble the person being viewed and move as the person talked and looked around. So these avatars looked like the people you expect to see, and you have no trouble identifying people by their avatar. Even still, a viewer of this scene would appear as if three glowing white ghost children were standing around a computer desk. If viewing weren't such a mundane experience it would have been a shocking thing to witness.

Tense issues again. Erpisa is not good at writing fiction.

Why would anyone want to wear goggles that showed someone like this. Can you imagine trying to have conversations with someone and instead of seeing them, seeing some weird digital overlay of them. Clearly these things can't be something that people would use frequently, which begs the question why the gently caress you would buy them in the first place.

quote:

Underneath both Matt and Brian's avatar was a warning label in large red letters:

PRIVATE/MINOR
NO TRADES AVAILABLE

But underneath Jack's avatar was a yellow label reading:

PROBATIONARY
SOME TRADES AVAILABLE

Yeah... so that is weird.

quote:

Neither Matt nor Brian knew what that meant, and were embarassed to ask. But before they could Jack interrupted:

"It's almost time! Look! Look!" Jack looked back and forth from the timer to Brian. The timer hit 0, and the computer issued a beep. 20ms after the beep, exactly the round trip lag between Jack's botnet and Brian's account, Brian's avatar suddenly grew several orders of magnitude in brightness and intensity: still white, but now blindingly so. For almost exactly 500ms, or the average response time for the network to identify and revert whipping attacks, Brian's avatar continued to glow at this new intensity, and then returned to its previous rate nearly identical with the other boys. Although it was literally over in a flash, those 500ms were enough time for Jack and Matt to begin issuing a behavioral response: averting their eyes and the beginnings of a laugh. Brian also issued a behavioral response in his amygdala, experiencing a heightened sense of anxiety, making his eyes grow wide and his palms start to sweat.

Eripsa should be embarrassed by his spelling mistake. Seriously, how hard is spellcheck.

The weird talk about behavioral responses is... well... weird. There is a place for a biological explanation for human behavior. I read a novel once that had a chapter that was pretty much entirely concerned with the workings of a single bullet fired from a sniper rifle into someone's head. Here though? It isn't appropriate in any way, shape or form to the topic at hand and it seems like this is being written by a loving alien.

quote:

And then it was over. The two older boys burst out laughing, while Brian continued to look down at his glowing body in nervous fear. "What did you guys do? What just happened?"

Jack looked at the screen between howls. "Well, Brian, for almost half a second the world thought you were making 4000 bucks a second. For just a moment you were the richest person in the world."

"That was stupid." Brian said.

"That was awesome." Matt said. "How did you do that?"

Good to see that you are admitting that in your proposed strangecoin system, a small child (or a young teenager? I don't loving know) can make someone the richest person in the world for 1/2 a second. If a bunch of children can break the system that easily I am certain it is entirely secure and there would never be any problems with it.

Also, said, said, said, said, replied, said, said, questioned... you need to come up with new words to describe your dialogue. But you won't because that would take precious time away from jerking off onto electronics.

quote:

"I used a botnet. I set up a bunch of fake accounts that keep trading coin among themselves in a circle to ramp up their coin velocity. You can make as much money as you want in a botnet like this, just by trading around coins. You have to do it slowly and randomly so the computer believes its real for long enough to do something with it. What's why they call it whipping, because it looks like you can keep making more coin just by stirring the network, but you're really just whipping in air and not adding any substance. It's not real money because there's no real people to actually trade anything. And its not stealing because you aren't taking anything from anyone. We're just playing with bots, it's no big deal. After a few minutes of whipping I told it to transfer to your account, and when it did it made you glow really bright in the viewer. But then the network managers caught it and reverted the transfer and shut the botnet down and everything returned to normal. I can start up another one real quick if you want to see it again. You can do it a few times with minor accounts before anyone gets suspicious."

It works because I arbitrarily declare it to work in my fiction work, even though logic dictates that this is stupid as gently caress. More importantly I want to point out that this is 211 words in a single paragraph. It takes nearly a full minute to read that out loud, and in discovering this I also noticed that there is another typo. "What's why they call it whipping? Surely you mean That's."

quote:

"How did they know it wasn't real?"

"Something about how the pattern of activity in the botnet doesn't fit the expected patterns of natural organization. I don't know all the details. I just know this script was released on the 2600 forums this morning and its supposed to be the only one that can still get past the Strangecoin network defenses, at least for half a second. The website is filled with people trying to use it to scam people, but as far as I can tell the only thing you can do with it is flash someone's viewer avatar like we did to Brian. It goes away too fast to do anything useful or really convince anyone you have more money than you do. I saw one guy with a set-up that created a bunch of botnets so that when one shut down the next started up. He kept flashing for almost 2 full seconds until the network shut down his account for suspicious activity. But even that didn't really work because it flickered. A real aura doesn't flicker."

How did they know it wasn't real? Eh, don't sweat the small stuff. I actually believe this more than the ranting above because you're not trying to explain your bullshit, unrealistic garbage tech, you're just saying it works. That makes it a lot easier to check out than when you bring in details.

I enjoy how there is some sort of overarching 'management' of the decentralized network that has the power to shut down people's accounts.

quote:

"So big deal. So you flashed me, I don't see what's so funny about it. My mom's avatar is way cooler than that, it has this big black snake on the back because she trains at Cobra Kai." Brian reached up to pull off his headset, but Jake stopped him.

"You want to see something really awesome? I learned how to jailbreak my account and start my probationary period early. So I'm already trading real coins on the network. Check this out," Jake said. He entered a new number at the prompt to start another timer, this one shorter than before, and then turned around to present the left shoulder of his avatar to the other boys.

Don't bring good fiction like Karate Kid into your filth.

The fact that this system appears to be able to recognize any human being in the world by facial recognition is creepy. It is that or some sort of implant chip. Both are pretty hosed up. Are you writing some kind of 1984 slash fiction? I enjoy the fact that the system can be jailbroken by the way, more proof that it is pretty suceptible to hackers despite what you've said. Surely we should base the world economy on this.

quote:

Although most of Jake's avatar was a writhing, milky white almost as pure as theirs, on Jake's left shoulder sat a dark green smudge that looked rather like someone stepped in the poo poo of a sick dog. Jake displayed the mark proudly to the others. "That's the 2600 official green avatar. I've gotten enough upvotes on the forum that they just gave me this. Watch."

The timer hit zero and the computer beeped again. Jakes avatar just barely perceptibly flashed for 500ms and then dimmed again. But smudge on Jake's left shoulder swirled and appeared to grow out from his body, coming to take on the shape and dimensions of a small yellow capacitor protruding from a green silicon board. After a few seconds the image sank back into the white background of his avatar skin, and the capacitor and board returned to the proportions of smudged dogshit.

"If I keep writing for the hacker forums, I'll eventually get a whole circuit board on my back."

"That's so cool."

"A black cobra is way cooler than a computer," Brian said, and ripped his headset off.

I'm bored. This is stupid, and boring. Do not quit your dayjob Eripsa. Do not try to write fiction, you are loving awful at it.

Caros
May 14, 2008

quote:

"Harry, can I have a word with you in my office?"

"Sure. Is everything okay, Lisa?"

"Well to be honest no, Harry, things aren't okay. You've been coupled with our organization for over three years, but I think your relationship with this company has run its course. I'm afraid I'll be terminating this transaction, effective immediately. I'm letting you go, Harry."

"I... I don't understand. What did I do wrong?"

"You're drawing pictures of naked children, Harry."

"I'm driving traffic to the site, Lisa. Isn't that what you hired me to do?"

"We hired you to illustrate an interactive website on fire safety for children ages four to seven. And until about two months ago you were doing just fine. But then there was that meeting in February where you went on about how the heat from the fires would make the kids look uncomfortable if they were fully clothed. And then the theme of your drawings started following a clear pattern: Fire Safety in the Pool, Fire Safety in the Shower, Fire Safety in the Closet with your Uncle. I mean, these don't even make sense. But your most recent series, Fire Safety and Cock Rings... it just goes too far."

"15 million visits this week already, Lisa. And it's Wednesday."

"It's wrong, Harry."

"I can't believe this. You said I've been here three years, but you aren't counting the three years before that when I was struggling out of college and this place noticed me and started endorsing my work around the web. It was that early exposure that helped me to develop my craft into the polished work I'm producing for you today. Those endorsements let me prove that I could attract an audience with my illustrations, and that's precisely why you eventually offered me the coupled position I have now."

"Harry, your 'polished work' is totally inappropriate. I mean, look at this one. Peeing on things is not an example of fire safety!"

"I... seriously? You don't like it? Not even Flamey?"

"Flamey the anthropomorphic flame? The one that tells kids to pee on him and he'll stop being scary? No, it's disturbing to the point that I've reported you to the authorities for investigation."

"Wow. Okay. But what about the traffic? 15 million hits is nothing to snark at."

"Yeah, but 90% of those are sham accounts with no connections at all, or botnets whose activity will all get reverted in the next system audit. It's worthless traffic. Our primary audience are children. Which means families. And that's network gold."

"1.5 million hits is nothing to snark at."

"Well... true. And some of those hits are surprisingly well-connected. But our business is in providing safety information to children. We're not pornographers. Your recent illustrations have attracted the kind of attention that is hurting our reputation among our target audience. We're receiving far more coins than we were anticipating, but everyone will see in the audit that it's coming from dirty sources. Spending it would mean spreading that dirty money around our friends at the library and in the elementary schools and fire stations and other organizations we've coupled with. Exploiting the attention of pedophile networks risks losing our transactions with our primary coupling partners. In the interest of preserving those relations, we're starting a process of inhibition to return most of the coins we acquired over the last few months to TUA. Also, you're fired."

"Well, poo poo. Fired. I don't know what I'm going to do; two-thirds of my income and about a quarter of my expenses are the result of my coupling with this business. Losing this job throws my whole financial situation out of whack."

"I'm sorry Harry. I wish there was something more I could do."

"If the rest of my network remains stable I have about a month before my account bottoms out, so hopefully I can put something together with the network I have left. Until then, I've recently received a lot of, well not job offers exactly but requests for illustration work. Hopefully freelancing will hold me over until something better comes along for me to couple to. Maybe I can get a few supporters so that each illustration I sell earns me more income"

"Good luck out there. The pedophile networks are dangerous and aren't most stable source of income."

"True, Lisa. Thankfully we live in the utopian future where enlightened democratic principles ensure that communities of shared interest can gather to trade illustrations of of naked children without living in fear of the tyrannical oppression of a majority who finds our aesthetic tastes offensive. I can trust that a thorough and lawful investigation by the authorities will conclude that I've not and have no plans to put any children in danger, and will therefore be exonerated of any accusations you've made."

"Either way, Harry, I have developed so much confidence in the smooth functioning of our leaderless, self-organized utopian future society that I didn't hesitate to report you to the authorities. If there was trouble I trust that they'd find it, and if not I trust that you'd be treated humanely and respectfully to continue pursuing your hobbies as you see fit. Although I personally find your interests reprehensible, the structure of our social organization allows me to sublimate that emotion into the formally straightforward and symbolically meaningful economic activity of decoupling our activity from yours. Completing the transaction expresses my repulsion well enough that I can continue to treat you civilly, without resorting to witch hunts or violence."

"You said it, Lis. And I can trust that the system will continue to support my transactions even after losing a major source of employment, because my economic situation is supported in multiple ways, and improving that situation is simply a matter of finding others who are interested in my work. Which for me isn't a problem because apparently there's a lot of interest in pictures of kids loving. If there wasn't and I don't find a job, TUA ensures that I can still trade for goods, although without a support network it will be difficult to trade anything of much value. But that's okay because we live in a post-scarcity world where food is freely available and I can easily print any material object I need, so even without employment of any sort I will want for nothing except to occupy my boredom. I leave you now to go shade in the testicles of a young boy, since I have customers waiting."

"Hail Satan."

"Hail Satan."

One more for nostalgia.

I really wish I'd saved the copy of that :stare: gif that just gets larger and larger.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Caros posted:

One more for nostalgia.

I really wish I'd saved the copy of that :stare: gif that just gets larger and larger.

Haha, that's obviously a satire, right?

Right?

edit: Like I'm pretty sure it is, but the fact that I'm not entirely sure is pretty telling.

Sharkie fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 27, 2014

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Wait, Eripsa wrote that? I assumed someone else did to mock him.

I feel justified in having called him a supporter of child pornographers.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Kalman posted:

Wait, Eripsa wrote that? I assumed someone else did to mock him.

I feel justified in having called him a supporter of child pornographers.

Nope, totally him. This what what he had to say about the second piece.

quote:

Pedantic moral of the story using simple bullet points

- You couple to the people you want to succeed along with you. They share your fate; they're people you trust to perform well. They are your self-selected caste.
- You endorse someone to help them succeed by gaining exposure (opening doors that are otherwise unavailable).
- You support someone to amplify the successes you already perceive them to have.
- You inhibit to correct mistakes of various sorts that might arise.
- All the balancing acts are performed by TUA.
- Networks > coin
- The Randian-esque speeches at the end about our utopian future is meant as sarcastically. Pigs will always be scum. Death is certain.
- If you actually bite the "but they're illustrations!" troll bait you are a moron.

To address GulMadred explicitly, hopefully the above story suggests at least some answers to your questions. It's pretty thoroughly attention economic. The system is "objective" in the sense of trading coin, but "subjective" in the sense that the implication of network effects vary from person to person. Harry has reasons to be attracted to the attention of the pedophiles, and Lisa doesn't, and so even though its a large volume of attention they react to it differently. So even though everything is quantified and objective, the system is still subjective in the sense of the network analysis, which is what matters anyway. Also, the above story suggests something like regular audits to find the cheaters and assess the network structure. I've suggested this earlier, than Strangecoin world will have economic reports that are mostly about the organizational structure of the economy and not just the performance of its parts. So it's right to point out that Strangecoin specifies the structure of the network and provides some details of its behavior, but full analysis of the network would take some additional nontrivial work to make explicit.

I have another short dialog in mind for dealing with the potential issue of ring structures, but it will have to wait until tomorrow. <3

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

So we can keep kids from trading, but not known child pornography producers and consumers.

Eripsa's fiction shows where his priorities are.

(Also, I forget what Baez's crackpot scale awarded for relying on fiction but I think it was on the order of 50 points. I wonder what the bonus for having written the fiction in the first place should be.)

Caros
May 14, 2008

Kalman posted:

So we can keep kids from trading, but not known child pornography producers and consumers.

Eripsa's fiction shows where his priorities are.

(Also, I forget what Baez's crackpot scale awarded for relying on fiction but I think it was on the order of 50 points. I wonder what the bonus for having written the fiction in the first place should be.)

Yeah, the fact that Eripsa envisioned a network that could block people based on age but couldn't stop the spread of child pornography is... well its just special.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Caros posted:

Yeah, the fact that Eripsa envisioned a network that could block people based on age but couldn't stop the spread of child pornography is... well its just special.

Pretty sure he only thought to add age restriction because we called him on having minors enter into legal transactions for several pages. His initial plan seemed to scale down to infants being treated as economic agents.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Well, to be fair, Eripsa did say earlier ITT that he doesn't have any interest in/understanding of fiction that actually delves into human motivations and relationships and that the only reason that he'd ever write fiction is to try and build a world/display his ideas in a hypothetical situation.

I'm pretty sure he's legitimately autistic.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Republican Vampire posted:

Well, to be fair, Eripsa did say earlier ITT that he doesn't have any interest in/understanding of fiction and that the only reason that he'd ever write fiction is to try and build a world/display his ideas in a hypothetical situation.

When he mentioned how much he dislikes speaking with people face to face, particularly other department members whom he disagrees with philosophically, was what convinced me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Kalman posted:

We're at Erispa unironically talking about how he wants a real-life DBZ goggle scouter (that fact that he can't even correctly call it a scouter is somehow the most insulting part to me; he can't even get the loving name right.) He's earned a perfect score.

There's also really nowhere to go from there but (even more) and mockery and laughter.

Republican Vampire posted:

He almost has to be, either that or some other condition (maybe manic-depressive or bi-polar).

Get help, Erispa. Seriously, you'll be happier if/when you do.:smith:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 27, 2014

• Locked thread