Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
the gold god should gift rings imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

or set up a ring shop

El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial

EvilMike posted:

the best thing to do is press ~ and set macros for your most used spells. if you have magic dart on "c" you can make the macro "zcf" and bind it to 1 or something. you basically create a hotkey for "cast magic dart at default (usually meaning nearest) target" this way.

I like to bind the key to cast the spell ("zc"), then bind the targeting-mode for that key to "."

Lets you double-tap the key to fire at the same target, but you can single-tap and still have targeting mode.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

El Wombato posted:

I like to bind the key to cast the spell ("zc"), then bind the targeting-mode for that key to "."

Lets you double-tap the key to fire at the same target, but you can single-tap and still have targeting mode.

I don't understand. What key binding/macro do you set up?

El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial
What I'm doing is binding the same key to different things for regular and targeting mode. So like to bind 1 to cast the spell in slot c, I'd to ~ -> m -> 1 -> zc then to bind 1 to fire that spell in targeting mode, I do ~ -> t -> 1 -> . (the period key)

So now in normal mode, the 1 key will cast spell c, and if it's a targeted spell, it'll flip into targeting mode where I bound the 1 key to do . (fire at current target)

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

El Wombato posted:

What I'm doing is binding the same key to different things for regular and targeting mode. So like to bind 1 to cast the spell in slot c, I'd to ~ -> m -> 1 -> zc then to bind 1 to fire that spell in targeting mode, I do ~ -> t -> 1 -> . (the period key)

So now in normal mode, the 1 key will cast spell c, and if it's a targeted spell, it'll flip into targeting mode where I bound the 1 key to do . (fire at current target)

cool, didn't know about targeting macros. or that you could use '.' to target. i always used 'f'

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

for anyone who hasnt ascended yet do a centaur hunter and just shoot everything to death. it is the only ascention i ever got and im useless at this game

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Stoat posted:

for anyone who hasnt ascended yet do a centaur hunter and just shoot everything to death. it is the only ascention i ever got and im useless at this game

I'd actually suggest a DDBe

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
This guy was funny, I got the hellfire mut but Dith wouldn't let me use it because he hates hellfire.
code:
Goodbye, rnglessons.

1851878 rnglessons the Sensei (level 27, 272/336 HPs)
             Began as a Demonspawn Enchanter on Oct 26, 2014.
             Was the Champion of Dithmenos.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 4 runes on Oct 27, 2014!

The game lasted 08:15:15 (112803 turns).

Best Crawlers -
  1.38718980 4thArraOfD LOFE-27 escaped with the Orb
  2.38718212 Bruce      DEFE-27 escaped with the Orb
  3.37113564 Tabstorm   DDBe-27 escaped with the Orb
  4.37100501 DrKe       VSDK-27 escaped with the Orb
  5.36121808 buffalo66  DEFE-27 escaped with the Orb
  6.33791499 buffalo66  DEFE-27 escaped with the Orb
  7.33420146 Bruce      DECj-27 escaped with the Orb
  8.32104059 Roshnak    VSMo-27 escaped with the Orb
  9.32017815 buffalo66  DEFE-27 escaped with the Orb
 10.31226665 Implojin   TrMo-27 escaped with the Orb
 11.29634595 DrKe       MiGl-27 escaped with the Orb
Currently 3 for 7 on my random class, race and god account. Next is DECK so probably soon to be 3 for 8.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

i got to zot 5 and died to a freakin' killer klown

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how do yuo even win fights against uniques and poo poo in this game. once and a while i die due to my own brazen stupdiity (fighting a group all at once instead of in a hallway, etc) but 90% of my deaths are poo poo i couldn't possibly prevent, like dying to a poison spell when i haven't even collected any curing potions or rpois rings.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

Larry Parrish posted:

how do yuo even win fights against uniques and poo poo in this game. once and a while i die due to my own brazen stupdiity (fighting a group all at once instead of in a hallway, etc) but 90% of my deaths are poo poo i couldn't possibly prevent, like dying to a poison spell when i haven't even collected any curing potions or rpois rings.

sometimes you wont be able to win against an unique enemy when you first encounter it and should just avoid it or skip the level its on entirely. sigmund and grinder can be really bad

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Swelter Discharge posted:

i got to zot 5 and died to a freakin' killer klown

killer klowns are kinda brutal.

also, lol.

Swelter Discharge
Mar 21, 2013

PleasingFungus posted:

killer klowns are kinda brutal.

also, lol.

it went berserk and really kicked my rear end

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Swelter Discharge posted:

sometimes you wont be able to win against an unique enemy when you first encounter it and should just avoid it or skip the level its on entirely. sigmund and grinder can be really bad

but whenever i go down a level it happens again when the level spawns an out of depth on me or something

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
How are you guys escaping on the early levels from mobs you can't defeat? I've never made it past level 9, and usually die around level 6 (dungeon, I mean, not XP), for reference. If I'm playing a class with any kinda stealth, I can kinda skirt around and hope they don't notice me, but if I'm playing any kind of armored class, haven't gotten a tele scroll or whatever yet, and am low on health, I'm dead. Is that just the way it is, or am I missing something?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

recognize problems before you face them and run accordingly

see an orc priest and don't think you can take it? don't fight it and walk away

see an ogre and you don't have might or berserk handy? walk away

just go up the stairs closest to you and back down a different set of stairs

you need to be doing this before you fight so that nothing comes up with you

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Third World Reggin posted:

recognize problems before you face them and run accordingly

you need to be doing this before you fight so that nothing comes up with you

This is kinda what I'm asking about. For example, right now I'm playing a Minotaur Berserker. By the time an enemy appears in my LOS, they're already coming for me. It seems like nearly everything runs faster than me, as well. Should I be trying to kinda zigzag and break LOS?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Nothing runs faster than you except for like bats and unseen horrors and maybe dogs

everything else is the same speed if not slower

if you are not using diagonals the enemy will use them and seem faster

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Nothing runs faster than you except for like bats and unseen horrors and maybe dogs

Makes sense. Thanks!

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

DECK was doing really well until I walked into a cloud of chaos in front of an orc warrior and got paralyzed...

Next is draconian summoner... of Xom :twisted:

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Larry Parrish posted:

Almost all of your deaths are preventable. Elliptic (the best player) has a random combo account, where the RNG picks a random class and race for him, and he wins 70% of those games. You have to work at your fundamental game skills. What you have to do with uniques is figure out how strong they are and run away if you can't kill them. Here are a couple tips: if you are confused, drink a curing potion which will cure the confusion. Also, if an enemy is stuck on you, keep retreating over and over and eventually a space will open up so you can go up the stairs without it following you. This can take a long time, but it takes a LOT less time than it would to regen your HP. Of course, it doesn't work on stuff that is faster than you, like adders.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

This is nonsense. Off the top of my head, here are some other early game things that are faster than the player: giant geckos, giant cockroaches, ball pythons, quokkas, adders, Natasha, worker ants, giant frogs, centaurs and Prince Ribbit.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

Solid Poopsnake posted:

How are you guys escaping on the early levels from mobs you can't defeat? I've never made it past level 9, and usually die around level 6 (dungeon, I mean, not XP), for reference. If I'm playing a class with any kinda stealth, I can kinda skirt around and hope they don't notice me, but if I'm playing any kind of armored class, haven't gotten a tele scroll or whatever yet, and am low on health, I'm dead. Is that just the way it is, or am I missing something?

See above post about not fighting stuff that's too strong from you and using One Weird Trick to escape from ogres etc. that are stuck on you.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

ok fine those guys are faster than you and also a joke to kill except maybe ribbit

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

ok fine those guys are faster than you and also a joke to kill except maybe ribbit

Are you seriously going to tell me adders, worker ants, centaurs and giant frogs are jokes? Because those (especially the first) rank as some of the top killers in the game.

El Wombato
Mar 19, 2008

Mexican Marsupial
Travel exclusions are also really useful - if you see a nasty unique you don't want to fight and it doesn't wake up, do shift-x, move the cursor to its square, and hit e to exclude it and every square in LOS of it. auto travel will now avoid those squares so unless something makes noise near it you can keep autoexploring without waking it up.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Thug Lessons posted:

Are you seriously going to tell me adders, worker ants, centaurs and giant frogs are jokes? Because those (especially the first) rank as some of the top killers in the game.

to a heavy ac guy? yah

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

to a heavy ac guy? yah

Heavy AC is WORSE for most of those because they poison. You don't know what you're talking about.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Do you guys drink potions when you get them? I feel like whenever I get in deep poo poo, I end up dying as I'm randomly quaffing poo poo while trying to run away. Or do you guys read scrolls when you get them and use IDs to find healing pots?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I tend to id things by dungeon level 3 and blow identity scrolls if I got them on potions

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I AM BRAWW posted:

Do you guys drink potions when you get them? I feel like whenever I get in deep poo poo, I end up dying as I'm randomly quaffing poo poo while trying to run away. Or do you guys read scrolls when you get them and use IDs to find healing pots?

I usually wait until I have multiple of something to quaff/read id something unless I'm in a pinch.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
D:5 random items on the floor..

:vince:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I found the glaive of the guard in a shop on d:5.
then I died. :rip:

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Parallax Scroll posted:

cool, didn't know about targeting macros. or that you could use '.' to target. i always used 'f'

they have slightly different meanings. "." will mean the attack stops at the square you target. "f" lets it continue past, if its a bolt spell or if it misses. dont use "." to target stuff unless you have to.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

to a heavy ac guy? yah

centaurs can still gently caress up a low level tank, but just get behind cover or rush him if that's not an option. those poison monsters aren't generally too bad cause if i have high ac i probably have high health too

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Does forlorn affect Xom? I chugged a mut potion by accident in a scramble to ID curing and things seem to be a little quiet for Xom, but I can't be sure

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

I am Otis posted:

Does forlorn affect Xom? I chugged a mut potion by accident in a scramble to ID curing and things seem to be a little quiet for Xom, but I can't be sure

I'm not certain but I believe so, yeah.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

PleasingFungus posted:

I'm not certain but I believe so, yeah.

now Xom seems to be as active as ever!

edit: in 5 turns I went from 'boring thing' to 'favorite toy' just by walking in and out of water

I am Otis fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I should get in on the random combo thing.

• Locked thread