Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
The Holy Roman Emperor has become the pope. It's been that way for a few decades now. His vassals all hate him, but there haven't been any revolts for the longest time. Is there a reason for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Teddles posted:

The Holy Roman Emperor has become the pope. It's been that way for a few decades now. His vassals all hate him, but there haven't been any revolts for the longest time. Is there a reason for this?
I don't think factions can form in a theocracy, if that's what your Holy Holy Roman Empire is considered to be.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

shortspecialbus posted:

Anyone have any idea? Bug? Do you lose this mechanic after you become King of Sweden? This kind of sucks because there's nothing for me to do now except raid with my piddly waste of a retinue that makes me about 3 gold a year if I do a good job raiding with it because of the expense of itself and boats. Using my levy seems to be even more of a waste since it costs even more than the retinue I think, although I can raid a bit better with more than the lovely 350 man retinue.

Are retinues simply no longer worthwhile in any way? Costing 13 gold a year to just have 350 men stand around and not reinforce seems pretty pointless when my normal income is only 14 gold a year.

You lose the subjugation CB after you use it once per lifetime. You get unlimited uses within your de jute kingdom if you have the "become king of ___" ambition.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide

Strudel Man posted:

I don't think factions can form in a theocracy, if that's what your Holy Holy Roman Empire is considered to be.

Succession is by investiture, if that's what you mean.

hiandbaii
Jul 24, 2014

Teddles posted:

how did this happen?

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Apoffys posted:

Raiding has become much more difficult to get started with it seems, because you start out with 0 boats and have to ever so slowly build up a large enough fleet to do anything. I don't know what determines if ship levies "spawn" and how quickly they do so, but they only seem to appear if my army levies are full and no ship levies are raised. This of course means I have to sit on my hands and not fight anyone or do any raiding for several years before I can even get started with raiding...

Speaking of barbarians, what determines whether I take or vassalize titles when using the "subjugation" CB? It's a bit annoying to fight a huge war with someone to "subjugate them" and only take their king-title, while they get to keep their 3 duchies and every single piece of their demesne.

You should get claims on their counties and you can revoke without vassal penalty (on the counties) if you have the laws to do so, at least in my experience. The Duchy not so much, but in my case I was able to just execute him for a -10 relations hit and inherit because his family was dead and he was in my prison as part of his surrender.

Average Bear posted:

You lose the subjugation CB after you use it once per lifetime. You get unlimited uses within your de jute kingdom if you have the "become king of ___" ambition.

I'm talking about Conquest CB.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

shortspecialbus posted:

I'm talking about Conquest CB.

I'm playing my first Norse game and I've never seen it. It might be bugged.

KOraithER
May 13, 2007

Kids, go in the other room. Grown-up talk.
Conquest CB is only available against rulers of other religions.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

shortspecialbus posted:

Anyone have any idea? Bug? Do you lose this mechanic after you become King of Sweden? This kind of sucks because there's nothing for me to do now except raid with my piddly waste of a retinue that makes me about 3 gold a year if I do a good job raiding with it because of the expense of itself and boats. Using my levy seems to be even more of a waste since it costs even more than the retinue I think, although I can raid a bit better with more than the lovely 350 man retinue.

Are retinues simply no longer worthwhile in any way? Costing 13 gold a year to just have 350 men stand around and not reinforce seems pretty pointless when my normal income is only 14 gold a year.

...I'm pretty sure it doesn't cost 1 gold/month for 350 once they're reinforced up.

Like, I've got a giant block of Welsh archers that doesn't cost that much more than that.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Oct 26, 2014

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
For whatever reason right-click doesn't work in CK2 for me now. Is anyone else who plays this on a Mac having the same problem?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

canada jezus posted:

Say you are a jewish/muslim whatever count under a orthodox duke in the empire. How exactly do you go about improving your position? Fake a claim somewhere and conquer outside of the empire?

The first thing you'll probably want to do is plot for your liege's duchy. You can still fight plot/anti-tyranny related wars under medium and above crown authority so that's the easiest way to expand first. After that, depending on the mood of the empire in general, you'll either want to start pushing for lower crown authority with factions and conquer within the empire once you get it down below medium, or start taking land outside the empire if you're on the border and there are independent counts/dukes that you can reasonably defeat.

Playing under another ruler always makes for an interesting game because you can't just do whatever you want like you can as independent. You can also try making factions to push for elective monarchy and try to get yourself voted emperor, although as a non-Christian most of the electors probably won't like you enough to vote for you.

*edit* can Muslims not legitimize bastards? I've got a genius bastard son I'd really like to make an heir but I don't have the decision available. It has my current ruler listed as the father so he's acknowledged (I never got the popup though, is that a thing?). I'm running the beta patch if that makes any difference.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 26, 2014

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Teddles posted:

How? I just imagine the Holy Roman Emperor travelling to Rome for his coronation, only for the Pope to say, "Haha, just kidding" and crown himself instead.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Teddles posted:

I had all of Scotland conquered by the Norse, then they lost a liberation revolt which for some reason lead to a bishop becoming independent. The Prince-Archbishop ended up Holy Warring the rest of them and now Scotland is the Theocracy of Scotland.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Spiderfist Island posted:

For whatever reason right-click doesn't work in CK2 for me now. Is anyone else who plays this on a Mac having the same problem?

Yeah I get it periodically, but a restart always fixes it for me.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Maybe a guy with claims on the Empire got elected Pope and then a faction installed him on the throne?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Tevery Best posted:

Maybe a guy with claims on the Empire got elected Pope and then a faction installed him on the throne?

Either that, or the other way, someone with a claim on the Papacy became Emperor, and then pressed his own claim.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011
Is there a good reason why you can't press your claims or something in a defensive war if you win? I get that it would take effort to add the mechanic to the game, but is there a good reason why they haven't bothered?

It's just really annoying to win a huge defensive war and then get practically nothing as a reward. At least against richer nations you can demand a decent sum of money as reparations, but if you fight off some dirt poor tribe you barely get enough to pay for troop upkeep during the war.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

shortspecialbus posted:

13 gold a year...I don't think so. I have 4k retinue cap worth of skirmishers and light skirmishers and it does't even cost me a ducat a month when full.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

Knuc U Kinte posted:

13 gold a year...I don't think so. I have 4k retinue cap worth of skirmishers and light skirmishers and it does't even cost me a ducat a month when full.

He's probably talking about the reinforcing. If he has a more expensive retinue that's about right.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

MegaGatts posted:

He's probably talking about the reinforcing. If he has a more expensive retinue that's about right.

Yeah but that was about how it was before, and he said it wasn't reinforcing.

Though he is probably just exaggerating like most people talking about retinues.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

Apoffys posted:

Is there a good reason why you can't press your claims or something in a defensive war if you win? I get that it would take effort to add the mechanic to the game, but is there a good reason why they haven't bothered?

It's just really annoying to win a huge defensive war and then get practically nothing as a reward. At least against richer nations you can demand a decent sum of money as reparations, but if you fight off some dirt poor tribe you barely get enough to pay for troop upkeep during the war.

Yeah it seems odd, especially as this is how it works in the EU games. There should be a crap general negative modifier for aggressors who lose badly.

Also, Dear Paradox, I know you read this thread, so I must tell you that your duchy of Normandy is simply unacceptable in the context of pre 1066 starts :sperg:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Bishop Rodan posted:

I had all of Scotland conquered by the Norse, then they lost a liberation revolt which for some reason lead to a bishop becoming independent. The Prince-Archbishop ended up Holy Warring the rest of them and now Scotland is the Theocracy of Scotland.

I can do you one better

Theocracy of England and Scotland. Absolute CA too. :smug: Last I checked, he had one vassal with a positive opinion of him (positive being the number '1'.) Everyone else pegged him to -100.

How this happened: this landless bloke had a strong claim to England-Scotland so I invited him to court and pressed his English claim. Apparently the only holding the previous King had in England proper was a bishopric, so he became a bishop and then King-Bishop.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 26, 2014

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bitter Mushroom posted:

Yeah it seems odd, especially as this is how it works in the EU games. There should be a crap general negative modifier for aggressors who lose badly.

I think it's just meant to be a feudal thing - wars are over specific titles rather than just two guys feeling a bit scrappy and taking whatever they can from each other. Does losing a war if you're the aggressor make you lose the claim (provided it's not a de jure claim or non-claim based CB like holy wars or conquest)? I know there's some CB that makes that happen if you lose but I might be thinking of a plotting related one.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

KOraithER posted:

Conquest CB is only available against rulers of other religions.

Reloading twice fixed it. Not once, but twice. :shrug:

Knuc U Kinte posted:

You're right - it was reinforcing. It's something like 1 gold for 250. Still pretty pricey to reinforce.

Also, any idea what I'm losing 10 moral authority for "Irminsul Destroyed" for? I successfully defended a crusade to a white peace, but I don't think it has to do with that - my guess is a holy site was somehow destroyed. How does that happen? I'm in control of someone else's holy site, can I torch it?

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.
On the flip side, after winning a defensive war you can immediately attack your aggressor without penalty, since the truce only applies to the attacker. After losing a war, your enemy probably doesn't have many levies to call on and it should be a cakewalk to victory. Still, it would be nicer if you could add war goals mid-stream like other Paradox games.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

Bitter Mushroom posted:

Also, Dear Paradox, I know you read this thread, so I must tell you that your duchy of Normandy is simply unacceptable in the context of pre 1066 starts :sperg:

What would replace it in the earlier start dates? I was thinking the same thing, but I don't know a drat thing about feudal French history.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

brocretin posted:

What would replace it in the earlier start dates? I was thinking the same thing, but I don't know a drat thing about feudal French history.

The Duchy of North Men.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I just subjugated the Kingdom of Bihar as the Kingdom of Orissa, and I can't get Primogeniture to keep it with my heir because my petition for High Crown Authority is hung up in voting. All the opposition have a positive opinion of me. Nothing amazing, but between 20-60. I've bribed most of them, and still nothing. Am I just hosed or is there anything I can do to fix it? If it comes down to it I'll just switch to Ultimageniture in both kingdoms.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

brocretin posted:

Eseentially the area that became the Duchy of Normandy came under the control of Franks under Clovis I in the late 5th century. For the next few centuries, it was a part of Neustria and later West Francia in 843. During this time, wealthy aristocrats built many abbeys in the area which became the target of the Vikings starting around 790. The Vikings did so much damage that the Carolingians had to give away part of their territory to the Bretons, who established a march there. Paris was sieged on a couple of occasions, once in 845 by Ragnar and against a few decades later by Rollo. The raids were so damaging that Rollo was eventually given land in Normandy in 911, as long as he would protect the area against other Vikings. He sorta kinda did that but also grabbed a bunch of land to the west and expanded his realm through conquest and turned it into a duchy.

E: To answer the question there really weren't any duchies in France before the 10th century (in the sense that no one was really called a dux.)

Don Pigeon fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 27, 2014

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

shortspecialbus posted:

Also, any idea what I'm losing 10 moral authority for "Irminsul Destroyed" for? I successfully defended a crusade to a white peace, but I don't think it has to do with that - my guess is a holy site was somehow destroyed. How does that happen? I'm in control of someone else's holy site, can I torch it?

It's a story event during the invasion of Saxony that kicks off early on in the Charlemagne start. If (when) the Karling blob takes the county with Irminsul, the Germanic holy site in Saxony, they can choose to leave it, build a church over it, or burn it.

The effect of it should disappear after ten years.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mystic_Shadow posted:

Eseentially the area that became the Duchy of Normandy came under the control of Franks under Clovis I in the late 5th century. For the next few centuries, it was a part of Neustria and later West Francia in 843. During this time, wealthy aristocrats built many abbeys in the area which became the target of the Vikings starting around 790. The Vikings did so much damage that the Carolingians had to give away part of their territory to the Bretons, who established a march there. Paris was sieged on a couple of occasions, once in 845 by Ragnar and against a few decades later by Rollo. The raids were so damaging that Rollo was eventually given land in Normandy in 911, as long as he would protect the area against other Vikings. He sorta kinda did that but also grabbed a bunch of land to the west and expanded his realm through conquest and turned it into a duchy.

E: To answer the question there really weren't any duchies in France before the 10th century (in the sense that no one was really called a dux.)

So it wasn't like this then: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y30nGVHZe24

I imagine it works the way it does just because the game probably isn't set up to allow for duchies to change de jure borders/be created whole cloth during the game the way you can with kingdoms/empires. The various titular duchies never have the ability to become more than that - all they do is allow you as the owner to have counts as vassals.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Tehan posted:

It's a story event during the invasion of Saxony that kicks off early on in the Charlemagne start. If (when) the Karling blob takes the county with Irminsul, the Germanic holy site in Saxony, they can choose to leave it, build a church over it, or burn it.

The effect of it should disappear after ten years.

Ah, great. Thanks. My moral authority has dropped down to 18% because everyone else is an rear end in a top hat and I'm either stuck with truces for everyone I can conquest or I don't have a CB.

When does the "any coastal" portion of the Conquest CB start to take effect? I'd love to thump Denmark because they're weak as hell after getting hosed up by some insane holy order during their attempt to get Holstein. Maybe I could just go the old fashioned route of fabricating a claim on parts of it.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

shortspecialbus posted:

Ah, great. Thanks. My moral authority has dropped down to 18% because everyone else is an rear end in a top hat and I'm either stuck with truces for everyone I can conquest or I don't have a CB.

When does the "any coastal" portion of the Conquest CB start to take effect? I'd love to thump Denmark because they're weak as hell after getting hosed up by some insane holy order during their attempt to get Holstein. Maybe I could just go the old fashioned route of fabricating a claim on parts of it.

It's at the start of the Viking age, which kicks in about 50 years or so after the CM start? It's usually not a long wait.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
The more I watch the AI conduct wars now the less sense the system makes. It takes way too long for a war to conclude because the score always hovers around +/- 30% and sieges aren't necessarily enough to move the score up. I'm watching a slapfight between the Greeks and the Muslims right now and the Muslims have about 8000 men just standing around Anatolia while the Byzantines with 5000 men just sit there and scowl because they can't do anything. This has been going on for years.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's at the start of the Viking age, which kicks in about 50 years or so after the CM start? It's usually not a long wait.

That happened for me in 792ish (where you get automatic boats, right?) and I still can't conquest coastal provinces that aren't adjacent to me.

Edit: fixed date

ssb fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 27, 2014

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Apoffys posted:

Speaking of barbarians, what determines whether I take or vassalize titles when using the "subjugation" CB? It's a bit annoying to fight a huge war with someone to "subjugate them" and only take their king-title, while they get to keep their 3 duchies and every single piece of their demesne.

To answer this question, you vassalise them if they have no land outside the DJ kingdom you're subjugating. I don't know how it works for their vassals, but I assume it works the same.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I appreciate this probably gets asked quite often but is there a more recent instructive LP that goons would recommend for the clueless than in the OP.

I keep coming back to this because I know I'll enjoy it once things click into place, but I just don't seem to be reaching that point. Even hours into a game I feel like my character is doing nothing and I'm just staring at a map waiting for a pop up.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC

Rather Dashing posted:

I appreciate this probably gets asked quite often but is there a more recent instructive LP that goons would recommend for the clueless than in the OP.

I keep coming back to this because I know I'll enjoy it once things click into place, but I just don't seem to be reaching that point. Even hours into a game I feel like my character is doing nothing and I'm just staring at a map waiting for a pop up.

Search for Arumba's tutorial on YouTube. It doesn't cover Charlemagne but is only a few months old. All of his stuff his great, really. Just pick a series and watch and learn.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Monopthalmus posted:

Search for Arumba's tutorial on YouTube. It doesn't cover Charlemagne but is only a few months old. All of his stuff his great, really. Just pick a series and watch and learn.

Arumba is doing one on Charlemagne (as a norse republic, I think!) right now actually, but the one linked a few pages back to me by Arumba was stupidly useful.

Also gently caress you gavelkind in tribal - I had taken all of Sweden and Finland but refrained from creating the Kingdom of Finland, and then when I died my heir got Sweden and the second son got Finland and went independent. Another son also went independent in my De Jure kingdom but I just asked him to vassalize and he said yes immediately so :shrug: on that.

But dammit, I'm never going to become emperor this way. Although I can't see getting emperor of Scandinavia before 820, heh. My brother also doesn't like me because apparently someone pillaged his lands and he blames me. It actually wasn't me and must have been a vassal, and I don't know how he *started* with that malus seeing as I checked it the second he inherited Finland. I was pillaging but I was off in England and Francia. So what the gently caress on that.

Seriously I could have created Finland anytime and I was only 2 counties short of getting Norway as well, and then it was just a matter of money for Emperor :(

Edit: As a second thing, learn to play most times on full speed (all 5 bars or whatever.) It's way less boring and things happen. Start on 4 until you get used to it, and then switch to 5. Drop to 3 or 4 for raiding or other wartime stuff. Also don't be afraid to pause a lot to do poo poo when you need to.

ssb fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten
Any chance we'll be getting an After the End release sometime soon? I think the last version I have is 0.2 and it's CTDing when I try to start it up.

• Locked thread