Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Hey Pham, this is pretty cool. V8, stick, looks clean. Uncommon.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/4732920031.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

This guy has a metric fuckload of 911s

With how prices are on these things... :aaaaa:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Raluek posted:

Hey Pham, this is pretty cool. V8, stick, looks clean. Uncommon.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/4732920031.html

That owns

We're still mulling over the Midget. I'm leaning toward buying it... Gotta make a good argument for it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Jesus, I'd hold on to that poo poo for about another five years when prices double :v:

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Yeah it's a tough call. Will they keep going up or will the bubble pop?

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Yeah it's a tough call. Will they keep going up or will the bubble pop?

They'll probably keep going up with how revered they've become. I find it funny how even the models that were known for being bad due to rust, or head issues, or chassic flex (targa) seem to be highly prized compared to cars of the same era that are arguably just as good if not better.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Yup. Realistically a 240Z was just as capable but cost like 1/3 of what a 911 went for.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yup. Realistically a 240Z was just as capable but cost like 1/3 of what a 911 went for.

Maybe at the time, but if you've priced decent S30s lately they're pretty drat expensive too.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
C'mon, take a chance. You know you want it.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/4732396454.html

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Aside from the HVAC controls being utter cunts the rest of the car isn't that bad. Engines and associated poo poo is actually decent, just the v12 specific poo poo is a pain. Luckily there are a ton of work around tricks now.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Worst case scenario, you end up with a coffee table and a kick-rear end couch/chair set.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
No matter how hard
I labor and toil
I'll never afford
a 75 0iL.

- a letter to Car and Driver, ~25 years ago

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Fucknag posted:

Maybe at the time, but if you've priced decent S30s lately they're pretty drat expensive too.

Yeah, like 1/3 of a comparable 911.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Errrrr...maybe...ish
As a former '69 912 and '73 911 owner (yes, I regret selling them before the bubble, yes my former car was featured on Jalopnik)
and current '73 240z owner I am not sure I would go quite that far.
Under normal speed the 911 is way more dialed in. At the limits, way more murderous.
But the Z cars have an ocean of upgrades that the 911s dont/cant have without a major investment.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/4726887470.html

this would be the perfect car for me except for the fact that it's got 226k miles, it's got a blown turbo, and he still wants $2800 for it.

:sigh:

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/4726887470.html

this would be the perfect car for me except for the fact that it's got 226k miles, it's got a blown turbo, and he still wants $2800 for it.

:sigh:

Maybe if the fucker paid his mechanic to put that $900 turbo in it'd be worth the KBB value? Why do I always see people bring up the book value of their shitpile and quote the good condition price then list a bunch of stuff that puts the car's value at just above scrap?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
It's also not an R, just a Turbo with the seats from an R. No R bumpers, spoiler, wheels...

So he's a liar and a cheapskate, I'd run unless you can talk him down farther and the rest of the car checks out. Turbo rebuilds are cheap if that's really all it needs.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
The VIN comes up as an R. Maybe a previous owner swapped off everything but the seats.

or the VIN is fake

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tai-Pan posted:

Under normal speed the 911 is way more dialed in. At the limits, way more murderous.

This is why my 911 had to go when I got serious about track days. I'm just not a good enough driver/can't put in the time to drive an older 911 well at the limit.

It was a '76 and was sold WAY before the bubble. I guess I could regret it now, but whatever. It's probably a rotten pile of poo poo now like most pre-'78 Porsches that actually get used.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
:shepspends: Oh goddamn.. what a horrible time to be broke. This is exactly the kind of crazy rotary project I was looking for several months ago

http://parkersburg.craigslist.org/cto/4706245746.html

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

I can't wait to get this and then die a horrible death:

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/mcy/4723095844.html

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Quantrill posted:

I can't wait to get this and then die a horrible death:

http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/mcy/4723095844.html

I'm the open carburetor intake at crotch height

I guess if you have to stop suddenly, you'll slide forward into the carburetor and plug it up with your pants (and your junk) and the engine will die. It's a safety feature!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'm the open carburetor intake at crotch height

I guess if you have to stop suddenly, you'll slide forward into the carburetor and plug it up with your pants (and your junk) and the engine will die. It's a safety feature!

Scrotal de-gloving via manifold vacuum.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

MrYenko posted:

Scrotal de-gloving via manifold vacuum.

Welp, now I have a definitive response to the perennial "What is the worst possible death".

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tai-Pan posted:

Welp, now I have a definitive response to the perennial "What is the worst possible death".

Hey now, no need to get all melodramatic about it.

You'd live. :unsmigghh:

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/cto/4734976495.html

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Just catching up on this thread, but I think I'm missing something.. Dude wants 18k for a 540it with a mad tyte (tm) conversion that thinks it'll magically appreciate even though blue book is 6,500 in non-rust land?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Time + money invested, duh.

Imagine how long it took him to do the conversion, he's gotta bill those hours!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
He's asking 18k, that doesn't mean he expects to get it. Judging by the fact that the car has already sold I think he's done well, what do you think a clean M5 conversion in a clean E39 touring should go for? Book means poo poo for a lot of enthusiast cars that AI deals with.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Legit 2000 M5's with around 100k on them go for 13k around here, soooooo... MAYBE 7-8k then since it's essentially an "M5 touring tribute" and has 150k miles? I understand I'm not the buyer for this sort of thing, but has the aftermarket really got that stupid with pie in the sky pricing?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Well, 18k might be a bit high but for something this extensive the real price is "whatever someone will pay that wants it."

If this is as well-done a conversion as it looks like I would certainly price it at 12-15k. People love E39 M5s and many people love wagons.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

keykey posted:

Legit 2000 M5's with around 100k on them go for 13k around here, soooooo... MAYBE 7-8k then since it's essentially an "M5 touring tribute" and has 150k miles? I understand I'm not the buyer for this sort of thing, but has the aftermarket really got that stupid with pie in the sky pricing?

have you seen what older BMWs are going for these days? It's ridiculous. clapped out E30 sedans are going for 5k, E30 M3s are going for 25-30k

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
There was a rolled E30 M3 on Craigslst a few years back, local to me. It was like $3000, and only needed some glass and a door. Of course it was already sold by the time the ad had been up for 15 minutes.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

rscott posted:

have you seen what older BMWs are going for these days? It's ridiculous. clapped out E30 sedans are going for 5k, E30 M3s are going for 25-30k

poo poo, if a clapped out E30 sedan is going for $5k I should be listing my 91 318iS for like $8k and praying. I paid $3800 for it and I've dropped another probably $2k-ish into it. I wish the non-M cars were going for great prices but I don't really think they are selling for what people are asking. I'd be moving on to an E36 M3 or E39 M5 if that were the case.

DJ Commie posted:

There was a rolled E30 M3 on Craigslst a few years back, local to me. It was like $3000, and only needed some glass and a door. Of course it was already sold by the time the ad had been up for 15 minutes.
Some of the body panels are literally unobtainum already.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Oct 30, 2014

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
In the right region, if your car had no rust you could get 7-8k in a week or two. E30 price inflation is definitely much higher in the rust belt.

BlackMK4 posted:

Some of the body panels are literally unobtainum already.

Windshields are a pain and I can only assume the rear window is as well. I know a guy who bought a rolled shell for 2800, missing the windshield. It's still just sitting under a tarp. In the condition it is in it should just be caged with an S52 and tracked/raced, otherwise it needs a huge restoration job.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Crustashio posted:

In the right region, if your car had no rust you could get 7-8k in a week or two. E30 price inflation is definitely much higher in the rust belt.

What the gently caress is rust? :v: It'd be mildly amusing to drive the thing across the country and sell it.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Why the gently caress do people agree on a price when they don't have the money ready to go? I was supposed to sell these wheels tomorrow and the jabroni texts me today to tell me he can't get the cash together. loving craigslist people.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Why the gently caress do people agree on a price when they don't have the money ready to go? I was supposed to sell these wheels tomorrow and the jabroni texts me today to tell me he can't get the cash together. loving craigslist people.

I was supposed to go look at a car with a buddy today but the mouthbreather selling it hosed up his own address (which we managed to puzzle out ourselves) and then never let us know when a good time to stop by was.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Even just looking for MR2 parts, I still pull up the dumbest poo poo. How in the gently caress can this person possibly think this price is even close to sane :psyduck:

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/4736742485.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Maybe he accidentally added 2 extra zeroes.