Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Devi posted:

Someone who's a comic strip buff and fan of Rob Zombie (Geeky Peter Griffin's shirt, El Superbeasto and Captain Spaulding are there in the front) would know about Nemi. Either one of those things is enough to make it likely someone's come across Nemi before.
What connection does Rob Zombie have to Nemi? Does she get name-dropped in one of his films or something?

Bloom County

Calvin And Hobbes

Ripley's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Dustin

He actually did a pretty good job on the costume.

On the Fastrack

Yeah, that's more than most people accomplish. Public shaming would be the guy who hacked KMart. Who the hell would bother to hack KMart?

Heaven's Love Thrift Shop

Thrift stores usually have lots of bargain bin DVDs too if you're into that kind of thing.

Slylock Fox

It's really rude to barge in one people when they're taking a bath, Slylock.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Besides, this is Count loving Weirdly. How do you know he didn't invent something to keep his bath hot and bubbly for over an hour?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Zereth posted:

Besides, this is Count loving Weirdly. How do you know he didn't invent something to keep his bath hot and bubbly for over an hour?

So what you're saying is that both Slylock and Inspector Danger graduated from the same detective school?

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Slylock is just jealous that Count Weirdly has invented invisibility potions and time machines and bred new genetic abominations. What has Slylock done with his life?

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Midnight Moth posted:

Slylock is just jealous that Count Weirdly has invented invisibility potions and time machines and bred new genetic abominations. What has Slylock done with his life?

Persecuted raccoons?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ensign_Ricky posted:

So what you're saying is that both Slylock and Inspector Danger graduated from the same detective school?
Pretty much yeah.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Dick Tracy

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Yes, because a fishbowl only a little bigger than the fish would weigh at least 200lbs.:doh:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Not to mention that the fish is already acclimatized to that bowl. A pro would never risk doing anything to cause environmental shock in such a valuable specimen.

The fish Inspector Danger found in the basement later proved to be a motorized singing fish trophy. The Inspector had gin on his breath and was heard saying "Alpy... c'mere. C'mere. You gotta lishen to dis fucken fitsh. Itsh incrediddle."

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Also, a tiny open bowl on a random counter somewhere in your house is definitely exactly where you'd put your irreplacable trillion dollar fish.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

RandomFerret posted:

Not to mention that the fish is already acclimatized to that bowl. A pro would never risk doing anything to cause environmental shock in such a valuable specimen.

The fish Inspector Danger found in the basement later proved to be a motorized singing fish trophy. The Inspector had gin on his breath and was heard saying "Alpy... c'mere. C'mere. You gotta lishen to dis fucken fitsh. Itsh incrediddle."

At first I thought you meant one of those water activated toys and was amused.

Then I realized what you were actually saying and have been giggling for a good 15 minutes at the mental image.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Sluggo wants his uncles dead?

Humanoid Female
Mar 13, 2008

What the gently caress is going on with that person's body? I thought at first it was a colorist error making it look like the exposed part of the body is a giant, shapeless, oozing mass cascading down the sides of the bed but it really looks like it was drawn that way on purpose. :cry:

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

You Are A Elf posted:

I think David Reddick reads this thread, because how well known is Nemi in the U.S.? I've only ever seen it mentioned here and never knew about it before joining SA.

I did not expect to see Captain Spaulding and El Superbeasto in the newspaper comics.

Actually I kinda like this. I only see two lower eye-lids creeping up (Conan in the back there and Slylock, who looks like he's about to sneeze) and I do like these cameos.

Darthemed posted:

What connection does Rob Zombie have to Nemi? Does she get name-dropped in one of his films or something?

Not as far as I remember, but I think the idea is that fans of Rob Zombie are likely to be fans of Nemi (I was unaware of Nemi before these threads though).

This however, is loving horrifying.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

catlord posted:

and Slylock, who looks like he's about to sneeze

Or in the middle of having a stroke.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Credit where it's due, Gilchrist really seems to understand the motivations of Newspaper Spider-Man.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Julet Esqu posted:

Credit where it's due, Gilchrist really seems to understand the motivations of Newspaper Spider-Man.

I really missed the brick, and I know you did, too.

Peanuts: Year One (August 27-29, 1951)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

This kind of stuff is why I love CdS.

All CdS strips where kids are talkin in unison are good.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Let's see, I recognize

Nemi
Dethany (On the Fastrack)
Gil
Scary Gary
Dustin
"The Duplex" guys (Glenn McCoy's strip)
Stuart (Retail)
Scully (PvP)
Schlock Mercenery
Slylock Fox
Popeye
Edison Lee (The Brilliant Mind of Edison Lee)
The Legend of Bill (Reddick's other strip)
Crankshaft
Phantom
El Superbeasto
Finn (Adventure Time)
Hammy (Baby Blues)
Charlie Brown (the ghost costume with holes)
Jughead (Snuffy Smith)
Velma (Scooby Doo)
Bleeker the Rechargable Dog
The teddy bear from "Imagine Me" (the one that accused Seth MacFarlane of ripping off for his "Ted" movie)

and Waldo (he's behind Stuart's house).

I'm probably missing others, but whatevs

And yeah, Reddick knows obscure cartoons. On Facebook he did a sketch of Deputy Dawg, a 1960s Terrytoons cartoon. But that's not unusual. I'm 24 (25 this November) and I know a shitton of obscure cartoons.

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Oct 27, 2014

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Evil Mastermind posted:

Working Daze forgot to tell a joke again.

Does anyone know if this steaming pile of quality actually runs in any printed papers? The Wiki page mentions an older version seeing some B & W runs in "a handful of newspapers". I can't imagine the stock photo backgrounds rendering well at all (then again, that's never stopped the Honorable Master of lovely Photoshop Effect Backgrounds).

On a less negative note: please never stop posting "Chief Dharma", Some Guy TT! Even when I miss the nuances of the joke, the artwork is just so amazing. Thanks for all your work translating. :) How often did it come out when it was still running? The level of detail always blows my mind.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

On a less negative note: please never stop posting "Chief Dharma", Some Guy TT! Even when I miss the nuances of the joke, the artwork is just so amazing. Thanks for all your work translating. :) How often did it come out when it was still running? The level of detail always blows my mind.

I've got to second this. I was pretty harsh when SGTT started posting it but either I've gotten acclimatized to phrasing or they've gotten better at translation, because I appreciate the hell out of it now.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Mister Beeg posted:

Let's see, I recognize

Nemi
Dethany (On the Fastrack)
Gil
Scary Gary
Dustin
"The Duplex" guys (Glenn McCoy's strip)
Stuart (Retail)
Scully (PvP)
Schlock Mercenery
Slylock Fox
Popeye
Edison Lee (The Brilliant Mind of Edison Lee)
The Legend of Bill (Reddick's other strip)
Crankshaft
Phantom
El Superbeasto
Finn (Adventure Time)
Hammy (Baby Blues)
Charlie Brown (the ghost costume with holes)
Jughead (Snuffy Smith)
Velma (Scooby Doo)
Bleeker the Rechargable Dog
The teddy bear from "Imagine Me" (the one that accused Seth MacFarlane of ripping off for his "Ted" movie)

and Waldo (he's behind Stuart's house).

I'm probably missing others, but whatevs

And yeah, Reddick knows obscure cartoons. On Facebook he did a sketch of Deputy Dawg, a 1960s Terrytoons cartoon. But that's not unusual. I'm 24 (25 this November) and I know a shitton of obscure cartoons.

The one-eyed rabbit thing is Weenus from Rabbits Against Magic. How about the dogs with antennas behind Nemi?

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Prince Valiant

I don't remember whose kid that is. :saddowns:

Juliet Jones

Somebody agreed to name her child Tag Aloe? What comic is this, Rip Kirby?

Phantom Classic

Hold on. Do they want 250,000 one dollar bills, or are they asking for 250 one-thousand dollar bills? This is very important information to clear up.

Big Ben Bolt

Prof. You are adorable, as always. But those fists are weapons. You don't just unload them on random guys in the park. I don't care if it is 1953 and the random guy coincidentally turns out to be the lightweight champ.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

Julet Esqu posted:

I don't remember whose kid that is. :saddowns:

Nathan is Valiant's younger son.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

EasyEW posted:

I really missed the brick, and I know you did, too.

Peanuts: Year One (August 27-29, 1951)

God, I've been waiting for this repost. It's more convincing this time, look! I'm really proud of it!

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Selachian posted:

The one-eyed rabbit thing is Weenus from Rabbits Against Magic. How about the dogs with antennas behind Nemi?
They're from Dogs of C-Kennel, a really bland dog strip written by the grandsons of Johnny Hart (B.C./Crock.)

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Also, for what its worth, I know a guy from Portland who's obsessed with Nemi, and he's been a fan years before the strip even appeared here!

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Classic Funky

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 27, 2014

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Dustin

I have a plastic centipede toy that looks like the real deal. Was never enough of a dick to use it though.

On the Fastrack

For those who came in late, apparently Dethany's Halloween setups are such a big to-do that she has a following among the neighborhood kids. Except her house is undergoing construction so she's living with Fistula who's evidently OK with Dethany running roughshod all over her house.

Safe Havens

Whose bright idea was it to give these dodo brains opposable feathers?

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Oof, I'm behind. Extra dose to make up for the lost times.

Sergio Aragones

The Lighter Side of Birthdays

Don Martin Dept.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

God, I've been waiting for this repost. It's more convincing this time, look! I'm really proud of it!

It's a very nice edit. I chuckled.
This one too. I like the Nancy hairdo detail.

F Minus comes on little cat feet

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Reply All

Pearls Before Swine

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
Jane's World

The plot's still grinding along here.

Non Sequitur

Oh Cap'n Eddie. And that's not how lobster pots work, Wiley.

Heavenly Nostrils is yesterday's, but new.

So it's like SimCity for animals? Is there a real world equivalent for what Phoebe's playing?

Kliban

Uh.. huh. Are her boobs sideways? I wonder, like in the case of Ikea, if he had parts left over after assembly. :v:

9 Chickweed Lane 10/27/2003

Whatever, Brooke. You use big, usually non-standard words. I'm impressed.

Zits

:ohdear:

Kevin & Kell

I wish it was over.

:3:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Heavenly Nostrils is yesterday's, but new.

So it's like SimCity for animals? Is there a real world equivalent for what Phoebe's playing?
Pretty sure it's Animal Crossing.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Phoebe's referring to Animal Crossing from Nintendo where you as a little squat human moves into a town full of little squat animals and befriend them. It's a very idyllic little small forest town life simulator, surprisingly relaxing, like a little vacation you can take for an hour a day and do some chores like pulling weeds, beach-combing, and fishing to earn money to pay off a mortgage.

Cul-de-sac

The Creeps

Poptropica

Heathcliff

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
well, poo poo. ^^what he said^^

Zereth posted:

Pretty sure it's Animal Crossing.

My immediate thought, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Phoebe's referring to Animal Crossing from Nintendo where you as a little squat human moves into a town full of little squat animals and befriend them. It's a very idyllic little small forest town life simulator, surprisingly relaxing, like a little vacation you can take for an hour a day and do some chores like pulling weeds, beach-combing, and fishing to earn money to pay off a mortgage.

Ah, I see. A reflection of my life. I beach comb, and fish to pay off my mortgage, too! :v:

• Locked thread