Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Uncle Jam posted:

Also, who was that dude in the gold top hot? I saw him there a few of the days this week. Its great haha.

I'm glad I''m not the only one that noticed that guy. He was rocking it well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

net work error posted:

That's a lot of envelopes. :eyepop:

The little spin at the edge that Aoiyama had there was pretty neat to see.

Envelope rankings:

1. Hakuho 390
2. Kakuryu 226
3. Goeido 92
4. Kisenosato 81
5. Ichinojo 76
6. Kotoshogiku 67
7. Harumafuji 43
8. Osunaarashi 41
9. Yoshikaze 38
10 Endo 35

Remember you have to win to take envelopes, so Endo still got 35 from 3 wins. Osunaarashi only made it to the top 10 because he beat Endo on the last day (biggest envelope day)

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

How much money do they put in the envelopes?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Diplomat posted:

How much money do they put in the envelopes?

The total value of each envelope is ~$600, but there is only $300 actually inside, as 50% is withheld for tax purposes. So you'll find both answers on google.

They used to put the whole $600 in there but there was always problems with guys getting in trouble with the government over taxes at the end of the year.

I don't believe the amount has increased in about ~15 years.

To explain more, the envelopes are money from advertisers who advertise on that specific bout. Its the only way to put advertising in and around the stadium. A company that pays $600 gets one banner marched across the ring before the specific bout they sponsor. Its very cheap, so the amount of envelopes are going up, especially since sometimes they get shown on TV.

Uncle Jam fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 28, 2014

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
This was the first basho I've watched, and it was really entertaining! I found myself rooting for some of the guys (Oosunaarashi, Aoiyama, Kakuryuu, Ikioi, the monster that is Ichinojo), and I'm excited to see what happens in the next tournament! There anything I should keep up with until the next basho? Smaller tourneys and the like?

net work error posted:

The little spin at the edge that Aoiyama had there was pretty neat to see.
That was awesome, great way to end that match.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Friar John posted:

This was the first basho I've watched, and it was really entertaining! I found myself rooting for some of the guys (Oosunaarashi, Aoiyama, Kakuryuu, Ikioi, the monster that is Ichinojo), and I'm excited to see what happens in the next tournament! There anything I should keep up with until the next basho? Smaller tourneys and the like?

There are things in between tournaments called jungyos but those are more exhibitions and off the cuff (a yokozuna will get up there and challenge some guy to a best of 5 or something).

Typically between basho this is how it goes:

Immediately after, there is a winners parade and TV interviews/ appearances on news shows etc.
Injury recuperation lengths are announced.
Everyone speculates about the next banzuke rankings.
New wrestlers commit to certain heyas, and take the entrance test (height and weight measurement minimum requirements). How much news this gets depends on the promise of the guys entering.
Jungyo happens, top wrestlers fulfill appearances/advertising etc. for the off month. Also, the off month is for condition, weight loss/gain, strength build. Bout practice doesn't occur too much.

Then, a little before the 1st of the basho month, the new banzuke rankings are announced. Afterwards, if the basho is outside of Tokyo, the heyas will start to temporarily relocate to temples/shrines/gymnasiums that can accommodate sumo wrestlers.
Once that is complete, bout practice begins. Top wrestlers will visit other heyas during this time to do bout practice, especially if there is no other strong guys in their heya. You'll see it get reported 'Hakuho visited blah blah blah, and of note took on Takayusa winning 27-1'. This is a good chance to see injury progress and things, but there is a lot of sandbagging and gamesmanship by some guys during this. This lasts 1-2 weeks.
Then everyone tapers and the basho starts (short for honbasho, or the real-deal basho literally)

The biggest intake of new wrestlers is the spring basho in March, because a lot of people graduate from school.

There are also meta-movements to follow, some guy with a kabu will start using it, which means he arrives in the sumo association and can start a heya and become a manager, heyas will close once in a while, retirement ceremonies are performed, etc.

There is a lot of downtime, which is a good and a bad thing. If you get busy, you don't lose the plot. Its really the nature of the sport: they need the weight so a lot of time is spent eating and sleeping.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Friar John posted:

Uncle Jam's info was awesome, so I'm not even going to attempt to add any more to that part of things. I'd say, though, that you might also enjoy catching up on some history during the downtime. There are lots of videos of the prior Yokozunae - Asashoryu, Musashimaru, Takanohana, Akebono... especially the amazing rivalry between Akebono and Takanohana. It gives you an appreciation for how invincible the present-day Hakuho really is when you realize those guys were averaging 11-4 or 12-3 and still considered excellent yokozunae.

Then there's also past fan-favorites/goon-favorites like Takanoyama, Baruto, Takamisakari.. a few more probably listed in the OP. It also may be worth following ex-Kotooshu, a Bulgarian who just retired after a long Ozeki career. I'm very interested to see how he fares as a sumo elder, since as far as I can tell he is the first high-ranking foreign rikishi to be fully nationalized and integrated into the post-wrestling arena.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Fryhtaning posted:

There are lots of videos of the prior Yokozunae - Asashoryu, Musashimaru, Takanohana, Akebono... especially the amazing rivalry between Akebono and Takanohana.

Excellent time to post these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLFYuyJTxGI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ipBrvlIR6c

All the Akebono-Takanohana bouts in makuuchi.

Makes you really appreciate how much of a monster prime Akebono was, and :staredog: at the fact Takanohana was able to stand toe to toe with him.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Its definitely a good thing to catch on history of the sport. The 90s were crazy and probably one of the better eras.

The total breadth of the history is kind of like baseball, especially in the 20th century. An attempt to formalize a rule code and set a consistent season, with everything coming into the modern 6 basho age after the war.

Not to be contrarian, but Kotooshu is not the first foreigner to get nationalized and join the association. I think he might be the first non-Japanese non-American though. Takamiyama (formerly Jesse James :wtc:) opened his own heya in 1986. They apparently read a letter from Nixon on the dohyou in English when he won a yusho - something that's hard to imagine now actually.
So if Kotooshu's entrance as an elder has seemed very incident free, this is why. The precedent is there and that's a good thing.

(To be honest, I thought the same thing too until a guy at work laid it out for me)

Also, it probably helps that Kotooshu is the most loved foreign wrestler by Japanese.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

anakha posted:

Excellent time to post these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLFYuyJTxGI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ipBrvlIR6c

All the Akebono-Takanohana bouts in makuuchi.

Makes you really appreciate how much of a monster prime Akebono was, and :staredog: at the fact Takanohana was able to stand toe to toe with him.

The crowd is so hot for every match, it's ridiculous.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
This tournament I also noticed Hakuho helping people up a lot, where as last time he was just fierce after his confrontation with the JSA. I wonder what's going on in the background.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Uncle Jam posted:

This tournament I also noticed Hakuho helping people up a lot, where as last time he was just fierce after his confrontation with the JSA. I wonder what's going on in the background.

I'm sure since the JSA sees the writing on the wall and know that it is almost impossible that he won't get the yusho record, they want him to be less of a hard-rear end so when he takes up the record they can parade him around in the media as a great(est?) competitor but still a respectful one. One willing to help his defeated opponent up and not give those little extra shoves he was growing accustomed to giving. And I'm sure some day the footage of him helping other wrestlers up will be juxtaposed with footage of the scowls and extra shoves and then used to show his "maturation" as a wrestler so that the JSA can rest easy in referring to him as the greatest of all time. And exploit the fact that the GOAT is currently competing against the future of the sport to push ticket and merchandise sales as well as drive advertising revenue up.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
My thoughts from this basho: Ichinojo is a very large young man.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

It has been kind of a cycle I think. Hakuho used to help people up all the time a couple of years ago (the Hakuho-hum days), but when he was "sliding" to the 12-3 range on the average is when I started noticing him channeling his inner Asashoryu.

What exactly went down in the JSA confrontation? Are you referring to when he was taking poo poo when in reality he was dealing with a late miscarriage at home?

anakha posted:

Early Akebono stood so loving far behind the line and made Aoiyamas tsuppari look like a sissy slapfest. It's amazing how much that dropped off later on in his career.

Fryhtaning fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Sep 29, 2014

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
one more to tie taiho's record, and he's not even 30 until march. he's still probably got at least 10 in him.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
No, it was a bit before the miscarriage thing. There were a lot of rumors flying around of some disagreement or something, I wasn't really tuned into it though. Whatever it was caused a bunch of people that were hyped up to it to jump on the missed interview thing a lot harder than normal and make asses of themselves though.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Banzuke has been updated

http://www.sumo.or.jp/en/honbasho/banzuke/index

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.

Haha, those are the best sekiwake ever. This basho will be awesome

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Good to see Amuru up there, too.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
The best apron of them all

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
How is this real. I love it!

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

So have there been other rikishi that have jumped up as high as Ichi after their first top-level basho?

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Asasekiryu went from M12 to M2 on the Natsu 2004 banzuke.

Kotonishiki went from M12 to Komusubi on the Hatsu 1999 banzuke.

Those are both Rikishi that had some top divison experience when they received those large promotions (Asasekiryu was in his first year of Makuuchi, while Kotonishiki was at the end of his career). What Ichinojo has done this last basho is something really impressive in general, let alone for a Makuuchi rookie. I can't wait to see him mix it up with the big boys.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Kotomitsuki went from J4 in September 2000 to M9 in the next, then sekiwake in January 2001.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

TotallyGreen posted:

Haha, those are the best sekiwake ever. This basho will be awesome

What sucks is that means Ichinojo and Gynecoyama will be in the meat grinder right from the start, so we'll know in 5 bouts if they're in or out.

Course Ichinojo will probably gently caress up all three yokozuna and leave everyone going :wtc: just happened?

Haha of course serious goon Takayasu gets an apron like that. Only Takamisakari would look better in it.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Fryhtaning posted:

What sucks is that means Ichinojo and Gynecoyama will be in the meat grinder right from the start, so we'll know in 5 bouts if they're in or out.

Course Ichinojo will probably gently caress up all three yokozuna and leave everyone going :wtc: just happened?

I'll be surprised if Ichinojo manages a winning record this time around.

I suspect the blueprint on how to beat him is already out, and people will be looking for the henka this time.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

anakha posted:

I'll be surprised if Ichinojo manages a winning record this time around.

I suspect the blueprint on how to beat him is already out, and people will be looking for the henka this time.

Is the blueprint to also be a gigantic motherfucker?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
He just lets himself get owned in training all the time, it's really bizarre.

Phone posting from around Tokyo minivan, really sucks the basho is out in Dinkins.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Uncle Jam posted:

He just lets himself get owned in training all the time, it's really bizarre.

Phone posting from around Tokyo minivan, really sucks the basho is out in Dinkins.

I remember hearing that there is nobody even close to his level in his heya, so he's probably used to holding back quite a bit in sparring matches. Add in the fact that Japanese athletes in general tend to overtrain, and it's easy to see why he would be easily beat when it doesn't matter.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Came across a longform piece that's about sumo and seppuku simultaneously. Works for me.

http://grantland.com/features/sumo-wrestling-tokyo-japan-hakuho-yukio-mishima-novelist-seppuku/

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

WindyMan posted:

Came across a longform piece that's about sumo and seppuku simultaneously. Works for me.

http://grantland.com/features/sumo-wrestling-tokyo-japan-hakuho-yukio-mishima-novelist-seppuku/

That was a fun read. All over the place, yet kept you sucked in.

And we're off!

Sumo -Kyushu Basho 2014 Day 1 , November 9th

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

That really should have been a matta.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Good first day. Yokozuna's winning and making it look easy always looks so cool.

Not really basho related but anyone in this thread in Tokyo? Going to be in that area in a few days and wondering what are cool spots to watch the bouts live.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

net work error posted:

Good first day. Yokozuna's winning and making it look easy always looks so cool.

Not really basho related but anyone in this thread in Tokyo? Going to be in that area in a few days and wondering what are cool spots to watch the bouts live.

I'll actually be going there myself on the 15th. My group is planning on getting tickets to the tourney on the 18th. The website they are trying to buy the tickets from isn't accepting their credit cards, so we may have to buy from the box office.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
drat lots of close calls today.

Was there a lot more arguing between the gyoji and ringside refs back before camera review?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Welcome back Tochinoshin :)

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Tsaedje posted:

Welcome back Tochinoshin :)

I meant to comment that he looks better than ever. Seriously great technique and his lower half looked as balanced as Kisenosato's. I would love to see that goony goon make a run for it.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

net work error posted:

This basho is in the south part of Japan, really far from Tokyo. I just came from Tokyo yesterday and visited the sumo-related area but I really couldn't find anyone, I think they are all away at this event.

You can see the sumo museum which is free (and a little small,) and buy some stuff from the store.
You can go to the heya (they give you a map) but like I said nobody is there now.

It kind of sucks because I always seem to be in the wrong place/wrong time for my business trips.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

net work error posted:

Yokozuna's winning and making it look easy always looks so cool.

I mean, Hakuho made short work of Ikioi but the other two didn't have quite the same effect. Harumafuji came off before his opponent was set and Kakuryu had to dance around the ring for several seconds before he got a hold of Takekaze and forced 'em out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Partial coverage up.

Aoiyama, why go for the belt against Kotoshogiku? :psyduck:

Somewhat sloppy sumo from Hakuho and Kakuryu today, I think.