Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

It's very definitely an episode of Doctor Who, yes. :)

Do you have proof?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

DoctorWhat posted:

When the rest of About Time becomes available for my Kindle I will happily read every word of their stuff, but only volumes 3, 5, and 7 are available digitally at last check (and I've read all of those).

Suck it up and buy the hard copies

Larry Miles posted:

As a child, I stabbed a kiwifruit with a screwdriver. It bled green, and I cried because I thought I'd killed an alien. #TrueThingsAboutMe

Larry Miles posted:

The "Doctor Who" special has made me feel like a 13-year-old again! Because in the week of my thirteenth birthday, they showed "Timelash".

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Suck it up and buy the hard copies

but i don't wanna and i have literally no room in my home for books right now because all my shelving is devoted to keeping my transformers figures away from the dog.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Acne Rain posted:

Don't forget Listen's premise about evolution of perfect hiding and all that the doctor yells about at the beginning.

At the very least that one's probably intentionally wrong. It's hard to poke holes in the concept of the 'monster' from Listen, since there's a pretty good chance there wasn't one.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

DoctorWhat posted:

but i don't wanna and i have literally no room in my home for books right now because all my shelving is devoted to keeping my transformers figures away from the dog.

Good Lord...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CobiWann posted:

Do you have proof?

I try not to drink alcohol when I'm watching television sorry.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

DoctorWhat posted:

Oh boo hoo, when I was six my cousin snapped the legs off Metroplex. Character building.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

I try not to drink alcohol when I'm watching television sorry.

I bet you wished you had.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

Good Lord...

Would you believe that my primary motivation for collecting the drat things is that I find the transformation engineering really neat?

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Oh boo hoo, when I was six my cousin snapped the legs off Metroplex. Character building.

Yes, when I was a kid lots of my toys got lost or broken, too. That's why I have shelves now.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

Good Lord...

I repeat: He is basically a fetus.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I lost Optimus Prime's fists :smith:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I lost Optimus Prime's fists :smith:

You didn't put them in the cab? That's what I do with my G1 reissue...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

You didn't put them in the cab? That's what I do with my G1 reissue...

I did, but they fell out somehow and got lost along the way, first one and then the other.

I'm sorry Optimus, I failed you!

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I am glad to know that I wasn't the only one who had my Metroplex snapped in half.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I twisted my friend's Mirage clean in half. Ended up getting him some Go-Bots to make up for it. This made things worse somehow.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

glowing-fish posted:

I am glad to know that I wasn't the only one who had my Metroplex snapped in half.

I had Metroplex too and I'm a little confused as to how that happened to you guys, that thing was built solid!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

Even as a joke I think I could find a place to advise you to stop.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

Would you believe that my primary motivation for collecting the drat things is that I find the transformation engineering really neat?

I have thousands of pounds of Lego, I wouldn't really judge you for any reason.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Cleretic posted:

At the very least that one's probably intentionally wrong. It's hard to poke holes in the concept of the 'monster' from Listen, since there's a pretty good chance there wasn't one.

We still had the ultrasmart scientist spouting that load of crap at the beginning and since he was talking to himself he had no reason to be bullshitting. To me it was like hearing Bill Nye say the Earth is flat and was created in a week. Well, not THAT extreme.

Republican Vampire posted:

I repeat: He is basically a fetus.

I'm far more mature, I have far too many books on my shelves to put my transformers on them. (Transformers More Than Meets The Eye is actually a good fit for the whovians here as a work of science-fantasy space opera with brilliant worldbuilding, charmingly disfunctional characters, and a staggering novel-ideas-per-page ratio, but I doubt anyone will believe me about that. You would probably believe me if I said that it was at least far more fun than this season has been).

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Acne Rain posted:

I'm far more mature, I have far too many books on my shelves to put my transformers on them. (Transformers More Than Meets The Eye is actually a good fit for the whovians here as a work of science-fantasy space opera with brilliant worldbuilding, charmingly disfunctional characters, and a staggering novel-ideas-per-page ratio, but I doubt anyone will believe me about that. You would probably believe me if I said that it was at least far more fun than this season has been).

I'm not trying to be dismissive or to moralize. I'm just saying-- he's like eighteen, isn't he? Everyone's kind of a moron at that age. The brain's not done cooking, and all that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Acne Rain posted:

Incidentally, James Roberts is reputedly a massive, massive fan of RTD Who (he also likes Moffat Who, but he likes RTD Who better).

Just thought that would be an mildly interesting piece of trivia to mention.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Republican Vampire posted:

I'm not trying to be dismissive or to moralize. I'm just saying-- he's like eighteen, isn't he? Everyone's kind of a moron at that age. The brain's not done cooking, and all that.

Then we should turn up the fires and help him finish. Here, I'll start. If someone purposely uses overly large words to review a "children's"* television show and tops it off by spending half of the review talking instead about racism, comic books or the Beatles then that person is a poor writer and fit for mockery.

* Its not honestly, at this point. They build it to be child-friendly by and large but know and aim at their huge adult audience too.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Metal Loaf posted:

Incidentally, James Roberts is reputedly a massive, massive fan of RTD Who (he also likes Moffat Who, but he likes RTD Who better).

Just thought that would be an mildly interesting piece of trivia to mention.

He also posts "soundtracks" for each issue that often include bits of Murray Gold's score, in particular from the Davies era.

As the BSS thread title says, James Roberts is a better writer than we deserve. He also got Hasbro to sign off on having a(n implicitly gay) romantic relationship between two of the comic's major characters, and Megatron is currently an Autobot. It's a great book.

Cliff Racer posted:

Then we should turn up the fires and help him finish. Here, I'll start. If someone purposely uses overly large words to review a "children's"* television show and tops it off by spending half of the review talking instead about racism, comic books or the Beatles then that person is a poor writer and fit for mockery.

* Its not honestly, at this point. They build it to be child-friendly by and large but know and aim at their huge adult audience too.

Examining Doctor Who, or any media, in the context of the cultural zeitgeist from which that media emerged is a thoroughly reasonable and valid field of study.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

He also posts "soundtracks" for each issue that often include bits of Murray Gold's score, in particular from the Davies era.

As the BSS thread title says, James Roberts is a better writer than we deserve. He also got Hasbro to sign off on having a(n implicitly gay) romantic relationship between two of the comic's major characters, and Megatron is currently an Autobot. It's a great book.

Gay robots?

Also, this James Roberts man sounds like a cool dude, he understands that RTD is better than Moffat and that Gold did better work for him.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

PriorMarcus posted:

Gay robots?

Also, this James Roberts man sounds like a cool dude, he understands that RTD is better than Moffat and that Gold did better work for him.

Transformers, depending on the continuity, have genders. So yeah, gay robots.

If you ever doubt Transformers can be sexual characters in any fashion, check out Beast Wars. They got away with a LOT of adult jokes.

Mind you that only applies to the ones that aren't specifically built and instead are born and you know how that I am no where near a big enough Transformers fan to keep this up

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

Gay robots?

Well, the IDW Transformers universe has (or, rather, HAD - recent developments have improved things) a strange position on Cybertronian gender because one of the previous head writers, Simon Furman, has some lovely attitudes.

"Officially", all Cybertronians are genderless, but they all use male pronouns. Arcee was an aberration caused by a mad scientist trying to "introduce" gender (and was horrendously handled in that regard).

So any romantic relationship between Cybertronians in the IDW comics is effectively a "gay" relationship (until you factor in the recently-introduced races of colony-world descendants that developed gender-dimorphism over the eons.)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

DoctorWhat posted:

"Officially", all Cybertronians are genderless, but they all use male pronouns. Arcee was an aberration caused by a mad scientist trying to "introduce" gender (and was horrendously handled in that regard).

Transformers are literally Smurfs.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Cliff Racer posted:

To be honest I really don't get why Sandifer's a thing. I mean he occupies this bizarre space between fan/recap culture like the various recaps and the unofficial books Miles and what's-his-name did, an actual academic texts that can back up their discussion of racism or historical context or whatever with theory and citations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'd much rather people overthink things than underthink them. Sometimes people disappear up themselves doing so, but sometimes it makes for interesting reading or listening, and sometimes those two things happen simultaneously.

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU
So I went to a convention in Belfast today and met Paul McGann! William Russell was also there but I didn't get to talk to him.

Food for thought:
* Paul's favourite companion is Lucie Miller. His favourite Doctor is Hartnell.
* Tom Baker had one condition for Light at the End, and that was that the other Doctors had to record at his house. He's apparently very timid and self-conscious during recording
* A kid asked Paul to name every Doctor and he said "nnnno I probably can't. But I could try!" and proceeded to do it! It took him some thought to get Troughton and Davison, but he did it!
* During the talk a little girl dressed as Supergirl turned up and he couldn't get over how adorable she was :3:

Got my copy of The Silver Turk signed, too. :toot: http://i.imgur.com/7CGsxku.jpg
I thanked him for his audio work, especially since I've been having a rough time the last few years and Big Finish is always a great pick-me-up. He was super nice about it! McGann is pretty amazing.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Transformers are literally Smurfs.

You think THAT'S a funny comparison?

In the latest Transformers cartoon and its associated universe (which includes the "X of Cybertron" games), Optimus Prime's backstory is LITERALLY the Cartmel Masterplan. Not even fuckin' joking.

The Other The Thirteenth Prime throws himself into The Loomworks The Well of All Sparks in order to be reincarnated as a "common" Gallifreyan Cybertronian.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cruel Rose posted:

* Tom Baker had one condition for Light at the End, and that was that the other Doctors had to record at his house. He's apparently very timid and self-conscious during recording

That sounds less like a condition and more like a benefit! For all parties involved!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

That sounds less like a condition and more like a benefit! For all parties involved!

"Hello, Ms. Fisher, Ms. Bryant, Ms. Sutton, Ms. Aldred, Ms. Jameson. And the rest of you chaps."

FYI, this Simon Furman fella also wrote the Big Finish story Axis of Insanity.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Listened to "Tom Baker at 80" and I love the idea that he brings a notepad to interviews and references it with stories and ideas, but it's completely blank.

Somebody check his pockets for a yo-yo and a bag of jelly babies. Are we sure he ISN'T the Doctor?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jet Jaguar posted:

Listened to "Tom Baker at 80" and I love the idea that he brings a notepad to interviews and references it with stories and ideas, but it's completely blank.

Somebody check his pockets for a yo-yo and a bag of jelly babies. Are we sure he ISN'T the Doctor?

No one told you he was?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

What exactly is the objection to the start of Listen? Obviously there are creatures that evolved to hide, but he meant something with a disguise so perfect that there's no way you'd ever know it's there if it didn't want to be seen. The Silent were kindof able to mimic this ability, but their disguises had some weaknesses that were revealed during season 6.

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

DoctorWhat posted:

You think THAT'S a funny comparison?

In the latest Transformers cartoon and its associated universe (which includes the "X of Cybertron" games), Optimus Prime's backstory is LITERALLY the Cartmel Masterplan. Not even fuckin' joking.

The Other The Thirteenth Prime throws himself into The Loomworks The Well of All Sparks in order to be reincarnated as a "common" Gallifreyan Cybertronian.

I THOUGHT Orion Pax's backstory sounded familiar, but couldn't put my finger on it.

Note: I am the kind of person autistic enough to not actually WATCH things, just read their wiki pages when I'm bored.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I said my big issue with Sandifer was his slagging of the books and audios, and to elaborate, it's because of why he did so. He went into this project from the beginning with a conclusion in mind. He was going to watch the show from Unearthly Child, read the books, listen to the audios, and come out into the apotheosis of the Plationian Perfect Form of Doctor Who as realized by Russell T Davies. But he made it seem like he was just objectively critiquing the whole series with no agenda.

I realize that the audios are a peripheral part of the mythos, but Sandifer acts as though they ended in 2005. They don't neatly fit into the "Wilderness Years" narrative so that's that. Sandifer constructed this premise that the show was cancelled, the fans kinda kept a dim flame going, and then their meager, paltry efforts were crushed beneath the mighty triumphant return of the full show. Meanwhile you have writers and actors working on both series to this day, cross pollinating ideas, the audio showrunner is a major tv monster voice and the tv one canonized the audios.

Which to me is pretty crappy scholarly work from a self confessed graduate student in media criticism or whatever he's degreed in.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

What exactly is the objection to the start of Listen? Obviously there are creatures that evolved to hide, but he meant something with a disguise so perfect that there's no way you'd ever know it's there if it didn't want to be seen. The Silent were kindof able to mimic this ability, but their disguises had some weaknesses that were revealed during season 6.
For me it was mainly the word "hiding". It's such a weirdly basic word to be coming out of the mouth of a smart character, what's wrong with "camouflage" or something. Plus there isn't even any acknowledgment of something like a stick insect or the thousands of animals which scuttle between hiding places under your feet every day, he just jumps straight to "there is perfect defence, as demonstrated by this puffer fish, but there are no hide-gooding animals in the universe!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CobiWann posted:

I twisted my friend's Mirage clean in half. Ended up getting him some Go-Bots to make up for it. This made things worse somehow.

Let's just say you'd have made less of an insult if you'd set the pieces of Mirage on fire or pissed on them.

• Locked thread