Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

Stairs posted:

I used to live in Peachtree City GA and it was awful the amount of people that would come in asking where to get peaches.
There are no peach trees in Peachtree City.

On the other hand, there are more than enough golf carts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
what the gently caress is grocery shopping? what is servings?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Daniel Bryan posted:

what the gently caress is grocery shopping? what is servings?

I don't understand how you can so blatantly ignore that each part that's listed can be used for more than one meal.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
What if he really uses $3.69 of mayo on every hamburger?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Chomp8645 posted:

What if he really uses $3.69 of mayo on every hamburger?

This but with mayo:

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view2/3524626/simpsons-lighter-fluid-o.gif

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

So this

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Mr E posted:

I don't understand how you can so blatantly ignore that each part that's listed can be used for more than one meal.

"What do you mean, serving size? A serving is as much as i can cram into my cavernous gullet in one sitting"*downs 5 hungry man TV dinners a week for a decade, dies of CHD at age 35* :downs:

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
Wait, so I wasn't supposed to use *all* the slices of cheese for just one burger?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Even if he eats 2 burgers and an entire box of macaroni per meal, he still gets almost 2 meals for the price of 1 if he buys and prepares them himself (assuming that $5 burgers is a pack of 4 or more burgers). Does he seriously think that you just get one burger in the box or something?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

DrProsek posted:

Even if he eats 2 burgers and an entire box of macaroni per meal, he still gets almost 2 meals for the price of 1 if he buys and prepares them himself (assuming that $5 burgers is a pack of 4 or more burgers). Does he seriously think that you just get one burger in the box or something?

That presumes 1 patty per burger.

House Rabbit
Dec 17, 2008

Don't go into Mr. McGregor's garden: your Father had an accident there; he was put in a pie by Mrs. McGregor.

Riot Food posted:

Isn't this just a wizard of oz reference rather than lack of geography knowledge, and he's just missed the joke? Or is that in itself :thejoke:

That's what I thought the joke was. "You're not in Kansas anymore" being synonymous with "Don't get comfortable, you're not home anymore". If that's the case, it tickles me how many people got so indignantly upset over a pop culture reference they didn't get.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kavak posted:

That presumes 1 patty per burger.

It also presumes he's not buying some lovely precooked patties from a box that you microwave to "cook".

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

House Rabbit posted:

That's what I thought the joke was. "You're not in Kansas anymore" being synonymous with "Don't get comfortable, you're not home anymore". If that's the case, it tickles me how many people got so indignantly upset over a pop culture reference they didn't get.

That was the joke, but they made it because the Royals play in Kansas City. I guarantee everybody here got it.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
My feed is currently blowing up with "Say no to Halal meat!".

It's pretty hilarious because I work in the industry and all the people that have liked or posted a "Say no to Halal meat!" thing all work in Halal accredited meat works so they are directly benefiting from Halal meat.

It's the most :psyduck: thing ever.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Oh man. No screenshots cause mobile, but what do you even say when someone sharts "feminism had its place when women couldn't vote" onto the table? And then goes on to say about how feminism doesn't care about men raped by women, etc?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

M42 posted:

Oh man. No screenshots cause mobile, but what do you even say when someone sharts "feminism had its place when women couldn't vote" onto the table? And then goes on to say about how feminism doesn't care about men raped by women, etc?
Unfriend them because they're probably too far gone to ever listen to reason.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
You don't say anything, because that person is not going to listen to anything you say and you will just be wasting your time.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Aside from that. There are so many arguments that crowded into my head immediately, my brain BSOD'ed and I'm just sittin here slackjawed.

e: yeah, you guys are probably right.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into. Gonna have to accept that some of your friends are bad people :v:

I've had to silently sever with a few people because I don't want to deal with their profound intellectual laziness and have my kids exposed to toxic dogwhistle bullshit before they're old enough to know better.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

M42 posted:

Aside from that. There are so many arguments that crowded into my head immediately, my brain BSOD'ed and I'm just sittin here slackjawed.

e: yeah, you guys are probably right.

No matter how good your arguments get, they can always fall back on brick walls like "you're just brainwashed by the liberal media." There's no arguing with them because they have to be willing to critically examine their own ideas.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Dear god!

That70sHeidi
Aug 16, 2009
Woman posts how her daughter is moving out and then why. Comments are supportive, and she explains more of her situation, then someone comes in with a big bag of nothing to offer.

Speaking of cold replies, I forgot I saved this one.

That70sHeidi has a new favorite as of 03:01 on Oct 27, 2014

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

House Rabbit posted:

agreed but I think it was more that they thought it was supposed to be a double entendre and it kinda wasnt... Still pretty clever.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

agreed but I think it was more that they thought it was supposed to be a double entendre and it kinda wasnt... Still pretty clever.

Even if they were right and the Royals were actually in Kansas, it's still a pretty old and really common expression. Cute, but not clever. Instead they just look really dumb.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

So why loving post it, then?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

MAKES YOU THINK

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
If Family Guy blows your mind, you may want to re-evaluate your life.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Garrand posted:

Even if they were right and the Royals were actually in Kansas, it's still a pretty old and really common expression. Cute, but not clever. Instead they just look really dumb.

By "clever" I meant the people making the joke, but yeah it's probably more cute than clever

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Apropos of nothing, her's a query: What's going on with Titanic guy? Or that guy who was super enthused about becoming a Fireman? I miss those happy chappies.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Also, big companies will totally abandon long-term income for a short-term boatload of income. Especially if it shifts the balance of power in the industry.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

BonHair posted:

Also, big companies will totally abandon long-term income for a short-term boatload of income. Especially if it shifts the balance of power in the industry.

As someone who lives in a place where tourism and resource extraction is at war over land use, and resource extraction wins every time, you're 100% right.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

BonHair posted:

Seriously, if a pharmaceutical company developed a reliable and safe cure (with few side effects) for even one of the more fatal cancers, they could print money on name recognition alone. "New from the people who loving cured this cancer - Placebex! It doesn't loving do anything, but if you pretend it does, it might!"

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
Nah we'll just sit on this poo poo, not patent it and wait around until a rival company or independent scientist inevitably makes the same discovery and reaps all the profit and glory

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

BonHair posted:

Besides, having a cure doesn't mean that you don't have a vaccine. People would still continue to get cancer, and a legit cure for it would sell for approximately infinity money.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

Seriously, if a pharmaceutical company developed a reliable and safe cure (with few side effects) for even one of the more fatal cancers, they could print money on name recognition alone. "New from the people who loving cured this cancer - Placebex! It doesn't loving do anything, but if you pretend it does, it might!"

I'd buy it. I mean poo poo, they cured loving cancer.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

This is what my mom believes on cancer so it's great seeing good arguments against it. It's still sad that she doesn't think that they'd come out with a cure for a cancer if they had it because of Big Pharma wanting to keep making money.

But I'm starting to think she might be going a little dumb about doctors in general now. She's got Fibromyalgia and recently went to an acupuncturist. Is acupuncture an actual legitimate thing? It hasn't been really helpful the last times she went either.

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 13:00 on Oct 27, 2014

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

RareAcumen posted:

This is what my mom believes on cancer so it's great seeing good arguments against it. It's still sad that she doesn't think that they'd come out with a cure for a cancer if they had it because of Big Pharma wanting to keep making money.

But I'm starting to think she might be going a little dumb about doctors in general now. She's got Fibromyalgia and recently went to an acupuncturist. Is acupuncture an actual legitimate thing? It hasn't been really helpful the last times she went either.

It's been studied and most experiments have found insufficient evidence that acupuncture provides anything more than a short-lived placebo effect. Any evidence suggesting it is better than sham acupuncture (basically "fake" acupuncture used as a placebo/control in testing) is inconsistent at best.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Bertrand Hustle posted:

It's been studied and most experiments have found insufficient evidence that acupuncture provides anything more than a short-lived placebo effect. Any evidence suggesting it is better than sham acupuncture (basically "fake" acupuncture used as a placebo/control in testing) is inconsistent at best.

Right there! That's the problem with your reasoning.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Bertrand Hustle posted:

While that's true, I wouldn't necessarily discourage your mum from getting acupuncture, if she can easily afford it. The placebo effect is a significant effect, sometimes have an average effect size of 0.4. So even if it's not an effect specific to acupuncture, it can still be clinically effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Goosed it. posted:

While that's true, I wouldn't necessarily discourage your mum from getting acupuncture, if she can easily afford it. The placebo effect is a significant effect, sometimes have an average effect size of 0.4. So even if it's not an effect specific to acupuncture, it can still be clinically effective.

Especially with a diagnosis of FM. There really is no set cure or course of treatment for it so if something helps her, then it helps her.

• Locked thread