Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

notZaar posted:

Keep your distance and use guns. Make sure you're dodge offsetting to get those wicked weaves in.

Can somebody explain Dodge Offset to me? I never really understood it in either game.

Also: I'm looking for the third LP piece in the Depths. I got one near the start on the cliffs with the two-dog fight, and a second in the weird forest where you fight Sloth and the two ball wizard guys. Is the third in that stage or elsewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Can somebody explain Dodge Offset to me? I never really understood it in either game.

Also: I'm looking for the third LP piece in the Depths. I got one near the start on the cliffs with the two-dog fight, and a second in the weird forest where you fight Sloth and the two ball wizard guys. Is the third in that stage or elsewhere?

The third LP is in the next stage.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

Nah, all LPs are in the same stage. If it's the one I'm thinking of it is to the right when you reach the M-portal that is really obviously in the open.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Evil Eagle posted:

...is it in the horse section or during the boss?

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Basically, in the middle of a combo if you hold the button you're currently combining with and dodge, you'll retain the actual combo after the dodge. So, if you're doing a ppkkk combo, you could do this:

P, hold p and dodge, then kkk after the dodge. You can chain this effect as well. P, hold p and dodge, hold k and dodge, kk and come out with the same end result. It's tricky to get used to. If you do it during a long loading screen you'll be able to see the effect on the combo practicing thing.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Nah, all LPs are in the same stage. If it's the one I'm thinking of it is to the right when you reach the M-portal that is really obviously in the open.

There's at least one set that's spread out between 2 stages, maybe it's a different one.

The Harmonious Blacksmith

Chapter VIII:

Verse 5: Appears right after the battle with Allegiance.
Verse 7: After the Verse is over, behind the portal Loki opens that requires you to jump around it.

Chapter IX:

Verse 6: Before approaching the Golem fight, on a lower walkway beneath the platforms. Located on it's own platform.

Weapon: Takemikazuchi (Bayonetta) / 野牛 Yagyu (Jeanne)

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Just hold down the attack buttons. Do it all the time and extend every hit you can. Don't let go when you dodge, that's the trick to dodge offsetting. Do it with the guns first, they're the easiest weapon to learn and the most balanced.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

chumbler posted:

I don't think the outfit really works that well if your legs aren't like 4 times the length of your torso. It's a great recreation of the costume, though.

It's alright, Nintendo's put out a corrected version.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I will never stop using quad-chainsaws. Never. This is now my main build.

EDIT:

Beef Waifu posted:

:siren:YOU CAN LIFT BOSSES WITH THE WHIP!:siren:

Hang on! Nevermind!

Rocketlex fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Oct 27, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
:siren:YOU CAN LIFT BOSSES WITH THE WHIP!:siren:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I dunno how many people know about this mechanic with the chainsaws: if you hold down the attack button upon striking an enemy, the saws will keep cutting and glow red. That's pretty obvious. But, if you release the button and quickly tap it again when the glow appears, you'll add an extra Weave-strength hit to the combo that rips enemies apart with even more efficiency than the saws usually do.

Gahmah
Nov 4, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

I dunno how many people know about this mechanic with the chainsaws: if you hold down the attack button upon striking an enemy, the saws will keep cutting and glow red. That's pretty obvious. But, if you release the button and quickly tap it again when the glow appears, you'll add an extra Weave-strength hit to the combo that rips enemies apart with even more efficiency than the saws usually do.

oh is that how that works? good to know

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Sorry to the people that tried to invite me. Both times you caught me in the middle of a boss fight. RIP.

I'm missing one verse card now since the only thing left to beat in single player is Witch Trials V, Rodin, and the other difficulties. If anyone wants to play I'm down whenever I'm online.

NNID Dionysian

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
It's pretty premature to say, but I really am excited about what the hell they'll do for Bayonetta three's storyline. It seems obvious that the next step in the series is to take the fight to Inferno properly--where else could the plot go?

Oh and I found the last LP piece. Now I have made Rodin a liar--he said he wouldn't attach a chainsaw to my arm. Now he's attached TWO.

There's one more LP left to find though? Hmmmmm

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Has anyone found a way to use the Love is Blue moveset for Jeanne? I like it a lot more than the Scarborough Fair set.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

It's pretty premature to say, but I really am excited about what the hell they'll do for Bayonetta three's storyline. It seems obvious that the next step in the series is to take the fight to Inferno properly--where else could the plot go?

Oh and I found the last LP piece. Now I have made Rodin a liar--he said he wouldn't attach a chainsaw to my arm. Now he's attached TWO.

There's one more LP left to find though? Hmmmmm

Beat the game in third climax. Also, the whip is awesome, and feet chainsaws are the best. Can't find a ton of use for the bow outside of the surf boss though.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

A little late, but the best way to deal with Gracious and Glorious is to equip Evil Harvest Rosary and do nothing but dodge and let the exploding orbs take them out. It's really cheesy, but on hard or above I can't beat them any other way.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Mr E posted:

Beat the game in third climax. Also, the whip is awesome, and feet chainsaws are the best. Can't find a ton of use for the bow outside of the surf boss though.

Oh I disagree on the bow, it's the best boss weapon for the first few bosses (non Lumen Sage fights basically). Since you're always flying at a distance and closing in is risky, being able to deal decent damage from a distance can really help.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

If you go back to a chapter and get an LP piece that you missed, do you have to complete the chapter for you to keep it?

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

If you go back to a chapter and get an LP piece that you missed, do you have to complete the chapter for you to keep it?

Not in the first game. I'd assume you wouldn't have to in the second either.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Oh I disagree on the bow, it's the best boss weapon for the first few bosses (non Lumen Sage fights basically). Since you're always flying at a distance and closing in is risky, being able to deal decent damage from a distance can really help.

Yeah, I'll try that out when I play through again later to get all the HP/MP upgrades. Seems like it'd make a large portion of some of the fights easier to get a decent combo on.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I was just about to ask if the bow is useful for anything at all. It's good for hiding from bosses? We will see but it's not an action game if you aren't slapping at some god's nostril.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Um, how do I use the Master Sword as the Hero of Hyrule? It's not showing up in my weapon wheel.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Rocketlex posted:

Um, how do I use the Master Sword as the Hero of Hyrule? It's not showing up in my weapon wheel.

I think you need Shuruba or whatever it's called.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Suspicious Cook posted:

Not in the first game. I'd assume you wouldn't have to in the second either.

I tried it myself, and it works. As soon as you get the LP piece you want to can go back to chapter select.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Its a super long range weapon that can apply a DOT. In Umbran Climax you can just keep shooting tremendous dragonflies at things for repeated knockback. Only extremely mobile enemies can get away from it.

That's about it. Poisoned enemies may or may not have lowered dizzy resistance but I doubt it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Just finished up the game and this is easily my favorite game this year. It improves on Bayonetta in nearly every way and is an absolute blast to play. Probably the one criticism I have is that I think the first game's cardinal virtues gave a better structure to the story than Bayonetta's bosses. They segmented the game into short arcs, whereas 2 didn't have the same kind of break points or arc structure as much. That is an extremely minor criticism, though. The final boss I think was better than Bayonetta 1's. It may not have had the same scale as 1's, but the fight itself was an absolute blast, fast-paced, and had more in common with the Jeanne fights from 1.

There were also some nice touches in the ending. It was great that Jeanne's final summon was Gomorrah, the one that had killed her, for some payback. I also liked that in the final sequence when her outfit gets slashed she immediately rushes to cover it up, a nice contrast with Bayonetta. And I hope the pink dress is unlockable as well as the white one.

I absolutely loved this game. Please don't let it end here, Nintendo. Even if sales end up being bad (god I hope not).

Edit: In answer to my own question, you do get both dresses with the costume unlock.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Oct 27, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chumbler posted:

I absolutely loved this game. Please don't let it end here, Nintendo. Even if sales end up being bad (god I hope not).

It's an inevitability. :smith:

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
Speaking of nice touches, during the ending I cracked up when I realized a somber, dramatic piano version of Balder's boss fight theme is playing when he bids farewell to Bayonetta.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Oh my gently caress, they should have called Bayonetta 1 Hard Mode "Grace and Glory gently caress You Up" mode because Grace and Glory are loving me up oh my fingers

oh my poor poor fingers

Why are torture attacks so drat finnicky? What even triggers a torture attack, I thought it was based on my combo meter.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Oh my gently caress, they should have called Bayonetta 1 Hard Mode "Grace and Glory gently caress You Up" mode because Grace and Glory are loving me up oh my fingers

oh my poor poor fingers

Why are torture attacks so drat finnicky? What even triggers a torture attack, I thought it was based on my combo meter.

You have to have a full magic bar (10 pearls) and hit punch+kick while close enough.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

oh my poor poor fingers

Having a full magic meter, same as Umbran Climax in Bayo2. (That's why you see them pop up at the same time.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

oh my poor poor fingers

You press X+A when you have a full orb of magic.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

You need a full orb (one of the big ones) of magic to do a torture attack. Getting hit causes you to lose some magic (only in Bayo 1, thank god). Hope you can dodge!

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Well, trying to fill my magic bar against Grace and Glory without being able to Witch Time (Prologue verse 2) can suck a DICK

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Well, trying to fill my magic bar against Grace and Glory without being able to Witch Time (Prologue verse 2) can suck a DICK

I've never tried it myself, but I've heard of people cheesing them by running away, charging the katana, releasing it on them when they get close and repeating.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Dodge offsetting with guns gets you magic pretty fast in bayonetta 1. Also, save the magic in verse 1 to use in verse 2.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Gold motherfuckers!

As it turns out, taunting raises my magic meter. Running away, taunting, running back again. gently caress me but I didn't get hit. Too bad the previous five deaths already tanked my rating. And it wasn't even a perfect platinum...

EDIT: I have been playing Bayonetta(s) all day and now I think I have carpal tunnel. Thanks Kamiya!!

BottledBodhisvata fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Oct 27, 2014

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Oh poo poo the witch trials in post-game get hard fast. There's a Masked Lumen fight at the end of the second one that is intense well beyond what the normal fight is. He's super fast, attacks constantly, and you don't get witch time for very long against him.

This game is real good, guys.

Edit: Also, if anyone else is dumb like me and didn't realize this for some reason, the umbran armor attacks naturally have additional fire attached to them if you hold down the button. The punches fire a machine gun spread and the kicks fire shotgun blasts.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Oct 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The Bullet Climax for the Arwings is insane. Check this out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E4cZknFUD8

• Locked thread