Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Pham Nuwen posted:

You might wonder why nobody else uses signatures around here. It's because they look just as stupid as your posts

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Daily Drivers: 1991 Chevy S-10 Blazer, Red with black rattlecan accents, active weight reduction incl. door panel and window motor removal and rocker rust, keyless bare-wire ignition, chopped exhaust - also, a bicycle.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

ValleyGirl posted:

Referring to me? Or Him?

If me, it's called a "Signature". And if you're unclear as to what the "poo poo" is, Google is your friend. :)

It was sarcasm: signatures are retarded. This isn't miata.net.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
The vast majority of all drivers in my city:
It has rained for a week straight, it's nearly freezing degrees and night-time, I better speed up so that I can get home faster!

Former Ferrari driver in my city:

e: That pic is from like 22 hours ago, right now the streets are dry and safer and guess what, NO SPEEDERS. I gotta gtfo this town or get a tank license

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 26, 2014

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Geirskogul posted:

Driving the ambulance, waiting at a red light (first in line), and when the light turns green, some Paris-Hilton-sunglassed soccer mom in the opposing traffic lane, in a uhaul van, tries to make a u-turn in front of me, cutting me off. Then she has the nerve to flip me off? I blasted the ambulance siren and air horn so much, and advanced far enough, that I forced her to back up and make way. There was room in the lane to my right to go around her (because traffic made a clearing right quickly when I got on the horn), but gently caress you, bitch. You get to move for me on this one. I've got a patient.

Airhorns are grand.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

thelightguy posted:

Daily Drivers: 1991 Chevy S-10 Blazer, Red with black rattlecan accents, active weight reduction incl. door panel and window motor removal and rocker rust, keyless bare-wire ignition, chopped exhaust - also, a bicycle.

You forgot to list your computer specs.

Also, toss in a geek code.

MrLonghair posted:

The vast majority of all drivers in my city:
It has rained for a week straight, it's nearly freezing degrees and night-time, I better speed up so that I can get home faster!

Former Ferrari driver in my city:

Aww man everyone knows you destroy the front, so you can reuse the engine somewhere.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I'm not really sure what all you people are complaining about in regards to signatures. What's wrong with them?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I don't think I have ever had signatures turned on. Aren't they turned off by default? I tried turning them back on to see what the hubbub was about and nothing displayed for me. Eh, better off without them.

ValleyGirl
Apr 4, 2014

Orininated in the Silicon Valley, emigrated to the San Fernando - ValleyGirl is THE distinctive high-tech caricature of a single white paraplegic female IT geek and ubernerd for all things scifi, political, aviation, and fast cars.

atomicthumbs posted:

I'm not really sure what all you people are complaining about in regards to signatures. What's wrong with them?

Exactly! I don't see the problem. The forum is "Automotive Insanity" after all.

Uthor posted:

I don't think I have ever had signatures turned on. Aren't they turned off by default? I tried turning them back on to see what the hubbub was about and nothing displayed for me. Eh, better off without them.

Yeah, given the overblown response by some people, I rather agree with you now. I won't be bothering with a signature again.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

ValleyGirl posted:

Exactly! I don't see the problem. The forum is "Automotive Insanity" after all.

Yeah, given the overblown response by some people, I rather agree with you now. I won't be bothering with a signature again.

You'll fit in great here :)

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sviatoslav posted:

Of Love and Regret sounds like a restaurant that I really really want to eat at.

It's a hipster bar, enjoy your $13.50 snifter of random craft beer that some dude brewed in his basement.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Plinkey posted:

It's a hipster bar, enjoy your $13.50 snifter of random craft beer that some dude brewed in his beard.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

atomicthumbs posted:

It's pretty common on non-SA forums for people to have 300+ pixel tall images of their car/favorite anime/video game/whatever the forum is about and like 7 lines of text describing every car they've ever owned/animes watched/video games owned/etc. It's obnoxious as it adds nothing to the discussion and requires a lot of extra scrolling. Of course the discussion is usually just as garbage as the signatures but I think most people would rather not see that poo poo on SA.

Fortunately you can just turn signatures off (or never turn them on) and the problem is solved.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Galler posted:

It's pretty common on non-SA forums for people to have 300+ pixel tall images of their car/favorite anime/video game/whatever the forum is about and like 7 lines of text describing every car they've ever owned/animes watched/video games owned/etc.

:thejoke:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Galler posted:

It's pretty common on non-SA forums for people to have 300+ pixel tall images of their car/favorite anime/video game/whatever the forum is about and like 7 lines of text describing every car they've ever owned/animes watched/video games owned/etc. It's obnoxious as it adds nothing to the discussion and requires a lot of extra scrolling. Of course the discussion is usually just as garbage as the signatures but I think most people would rather not see that poo poo on SA.

Fortunately you can just turn signatures off (or never turn them on) and the problem is solved.

Turn signatures on and re-read his post.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Presented without comment

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Pham Nuwen posted:

I did but I still don't see anything so :shrug:

I'll assume it was funny, sorry for assuming you were a retard atomicthumbs.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

dissss posted:

Presented without comment

Jesus. How can you not be terrified of trying that?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

sleepy.eyes posted:

Jesus. How can you not be terrified of trying that?

It's just a Nissan Lucino, it's not that bad of a car.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Galler posted:

or never turn them on

but enough about your interactions with women

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
There are signatures on the forums? You can turn them on? I been here since 2000 and I didn't know that.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Pham Nuwen posted:

I always have sigs on because sometimes I lurk in FYAD and BYOB and they embrace the artistic form.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's just a Nissan Lucino, it's not that bad of a car.
Every time it accelerates, the corner of that fridge/freezer is getting shoved right into the junk of that dude wearing flipflops.

Who is standing on a car in traffic.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 27, 2014

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Signatures on this forum are dumb.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

These are the people you share a forum with.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

CannonFodder posted:

I always have sigs on because sometimes I lurk in FYAD and BYOB and they embrace the artistic form.

I think I will start trolling people with a sig, since I don't have mine on, maybe I should embrace my inner self and come up with something horrible.

http://horticulture.fullcoll.edu/DianesGG/GuardiansoftheGarden.html

I think I will start here and work my way up.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Uthor posted:

These are the people you share a forum with.

No! These are the people with whom you share a forum! :colbert:

Melting Eggs
Jul 17, 2006

Quis custodiet custodes ipsos?
Preface: I don't support speed traps like the one mentioned,

Sviatoslav posted:

But now the Malibu kid is suing my friend, because according to the state of Ohio its his fault.

Sviatoslav posted:

Yes, he should have had assured cleared distance. According to my drivers ed class its one car length per 10mph. At 65mph thats 6 1/2 car lengths... which is never going to happen in rush hour traffic. To keep distance you'd have to travel 40mph with your hazards on and even then 3 cars are going to move into that gap and you'll slow down further.
Presumably the Malibu driver was able to stop without ploughing into anybody, why couldn't the other two drivers do the same? This attitude of :cry: I have to tailgate otherwise people will pull in front of me :cry: is dumb as hell. If you can't come to a complete stop without ramming someone, you are following too closely. (most) Semi drivers do it everyday.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Yellowstone Rd to Dell Range Blvd in Cheyenne, WY.

A line of Northbound cars headed north will turn Eastbound onto the busiest street in the entire state along that green line. Without so much as a yield or stopsign to direct them to do so, they will stop or yield for exactly no reason at all in the area of the red box.

They somehow believe that cars on that blue route will wreck into them if they do not do so. It is always the elderly, handicapped, both, or out of state/area plates such as Colorado rental cars.

edit: Not related to the situation I described, if you look closely you can see a near accident if a vehicle turning in front of another in the middle of the intersection.

LloydDobler posted:

You're not kidding. Denver drivers are incredibly aggressive while simultaneously not paying attention to jack poo poo around them. I've changed my habits considerably since moving here, but for the better. I drive really fast but follow at large distances.

I have learned the War Games lesson for driving in the Denver Metro area, "The only winning move is not to play." I just don't get in a competition, I won't race to improve position in traffic. There are already plenty of aggressive people doing that to each other. I will drive close to the speed limit, I get into my turn or exit lane early, I just deal with the traffic associated with it.

I don't even get mad watching each jackass making the problem worse by running to the beginning of the line and aggressively force merging their way in. I can handle arriving the extra 60-120 seconds to my destination without the stress.

To me the most dangerous situation are the two lane 65 mph highways. Driving anywhere near the speed limit here creates an ire from the 85 mph drivers that will bring down anger and road raging of a level usually associated with mass gun shootouts. Especially on Highway 287 between Ft Collins CO and Laramie WY or US 85 between Greeley CO and Cheyenne, WY.

I was traveling in a northbound group of cars that were doing only a couple over the speed limit and a diesel 4x4 truck whipped around the entire group and ran a southbound UHAUL moving truck with car trailer completely off the road to finish his pass.

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 27, 2014

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Melting Eggs posted:

Preface: I don't support speed traps like the one mentioned,

Presumably the Malibu driver was able to stop without ploughing into anybody, why couldn't the other two drivers do the same? This attitude of :cry: I have to tailgate otherwise people will pull in front of me :cry: is dumb as hell. If you can't come to a complete stop without ramming someone, you are following too closely. (most) Semi drivers do it everyday.

Because the Malibu driver is the one that stood on his brakes to begin with. Like a dumbshit.

I've gotten tagged once because the lil' pickup in front of me stopped for a pedestrian, I stopped, car behind me stopped, and gomer in his big pickup wasn't paying attention, locked up and slid into the car behind me hard enough to sandwich it into my bumper. :ughh: I've also tagged someone's bigass brotruck once because it turns out that an '81 Buick does take longer to stop on wet pavement than said brotruck with ABS - so I know both ends of it. (Only two damaging accidents I've ever been in, barring a deerstrike in rural Montana. :argh:)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

B4Ctom1 posted:

Yellowstone Rd to Dell Range Blvd in Cheyenne, WY.

A line of Northbound cars headed north will turn Eastbound onto the busiest street in the entire state along that green line. Without so much as a yield or stopsign to direct them to do so, they will stop or yield for exactly no reason at all in the area of the red box.

They somehow believe that cars on that blue route will wreck into them if they do not do so. It is always the elderly, handicapped, both, or out of state/area plates such as Colorado rental cars.

edit: Not related to the situation I described, if you look closely you can see a near accident if a vehicle turning in front of another in the middle of the intersection.

It's the exact same situation at the corner of Allen and Pioneer Parkway in Peoria, IL. Worse because that concrete island actually extends between the two lanes for a few car lengths making it almost impossible to cross both lanes and side swipe the other car. I say almost because people try it every once in a while.

Melting Eggs
Jul 17, 2006

Quis custodiet custodes ipsos?

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Because the Malibu driver is the one that stood on his brakes to begin with. Like a dumbshit.

I've gotten tagged once because the lil' pickup in front of me stopped for a pedestrian, I stopped, car behind me stopped, and gomer in his big pickup wasn't paying attention, locked up and slid into the car behind me hard enough to sandwich it into my bumper. :ughh: I've also tagged someone's bigass brotruck once because it turns out that an '81 Buick does take longer to stop on wet pavement than said brotruck with ABS - so I know both ends of it. (Only two damaging accidents I've ever been in, barring a deerstrike in rural Montana. :argh:)
The Malibu driver coming to a stop was an idiot move for sure, but still no excuse. In rush-hour traffic, going 40-70mph and being forced to a sudden stop isn't exactly rare. Wrecks, debris in the road, idiot Malibu drivers, etc. Even in non rush-hour traffic it isn't rare, a moose in the road for example.

Reacon
Feb 17, 2013

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.
Another car from the military base I'm stationed at. The antenna is bolted on to the lovely Taurus so tightly that it has caved in the roof. This picture does nothing to describe just how lovely this car is in person.

EDIT: Not a Taurus, whoops.

Reacon fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 28, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

HAM radio operators seem very narrowly focused in the things they care about.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
That Taurus looks a bit dodgy.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Uthor posted:

It's not an acronym (just ham, not HAM), but yeah, would you give a poo poo about that ugly-rear end Taurus? I'd gently caress up the roof like that if it made the antenna mount properly.

Edit: yeah, actually, that doesn't look like a Ford badge on the front, what gives?

Edit 2: ^^^ vvvvv nice, I suck at getting jokes

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 27, 2014

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Bucephalus posted:

That Taurus looks a bit Dodgy.

At least it's painted a subdued silver, and not some gaudy Neon color.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
That would be the best looking Taurus I'd ever seen.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Uthor posted:

I'm eternally glad that I got over amateur radio before I started being able to drive. I would have been the dork with 30 antennas sprouting out of a Dodge Caravan otherwise.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Melting Eggs posted:

The Malibu driver coming to a stop was an idiot move for sure, but still no excuse. In rush-hour traffic, going 40-70mph and being forced to a sudden stop isn't exactly rare. Wrecks, debris in the road, idiot Malibu drivers, etc. Even in non rush-hour traffic it isn't rare, a moose in the road for example.

I agree with you that the parties behind the Malibu share some of the fault of the accident, but the way the law is written in Ohio, the Malibu is absolved of all responsibility whereas he should reasonably share some of it for stopping on the highway for no reason. Reasonably, the cops should share some responsibility for causing the situation as well. At the very minimum, they should have had lights and flashers lit to make everyone on the road aware of their presence.

All of us drive down the road with the expectation that the traffic around us will behave in a predictable manner. All of the experience we've gained since day 1 behind the wheel goes into the second-to-second decisions we make. Consciously or not, good drivers study the pattern of traffic around them looking for anything that sticks out. Even when tailgating, a good driver will feel 'safe' doing so because they're scanning ahead for obstructions in front of the car or the few cars they're following. If you see traffic slowing down ahead of the car in front of you, you'll instinctively slow down as well regardless if the guy in front of you hits their brakes or not. Likewise, you'll probably see the moose or deer pop out in front of the car you're tailing just as they see it, and slow down just as quickly as they do. I'm not writing this to condone tailgating, but to try and explain why even attentive and otherwise safe drivers occasionally will.

The accident happened, as most accidents do, because the Malibu broke the pattern and did something the other drivers didn't expect. They came to an immediate stop on the highway with no visual cue to help the drivers predict that they would do so. The cars behind him might have given up their safe stopping distance because 99% of the time, traffic doesn't come to a complete stop for no reason.

You see the pattern broken when someone cuts you off without a signal or blows the light you just saw go red. The pattern is broken when someone drives after dark with no headlights or weaves in their lane. A good driver recognizes these patterns and adjusts their driving or attention in time to avoid these people, and in this case, the Audi drivers couldn't adjust their driving quick enough.

NoWake fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ValleyGirl
Apr 4, 2014

Orininated in the Silicon Valley, emigrated to the San Fernando - ValleyGirl is THE distinctive high-tech caricature of a single white paraplegic female IT geek and ubernerd for all things scifi, political, aviation, and fast cars.

B4Ctom1 posted:

Without so much as a yield or stopsign to direct them to do so, they will stop or yield for exactly no reason at all in the area of the red box.

I haven't caught this on video yet, but I've had this happen numerous times on freeway ramps and merges here in LA... Usually elderly, or, hate to stereotype - but Asian. I believe they're probably foreign drivers - there's no way to tell a rental car from anything else here in CA, unlike in CO, but I'm sure that a majority of those folks are visiting from China or Vietnam, or whatnot...

Usually I'll just sit on the horn until they move.

About 5 years ago, I was merging onto I-280 in the Bay Area, and the car I was behind stopped suddenly before the merge... I stopped too, started honking... abut 5 cars back, I hear a *SMASH*... somebody rear ended another one of the people who was stuck behind the idiot. And then the idiot was just too timid to go... I ended up passing him on the shoulder, blowing by at full throttle, getting up to speed for the merge. I'm not sure what happened with them, but it was... memorable.