Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

sellouts posted:

This thread is now Ask Mackieman about being Sasquatch.

Good god I can't believe you travel for work.

Someone has to fly around the country dunking on fools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

So once agan, gently caress MCO and everything within about a 30 mile radius of it.

That said, does anybody have a recommendation for an iOS app to track money spent on tolls? I'm looking for something where I can just type in dollar amounts at the end of a drive that keeps a running total, so that when I get home I can put the rental car tolls in my voucher before the rental car company bills me for them, and not have to amend my voucher later.

Right now I'm just tossing it all in a note on my phone and adding it up when I get back, but I don't feel like that's the best way to do it.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

sellouts posted:

This thread is now Ask Mackieman about being Sasquatch.

Good god I can't believe you travel for work.

It's really the reason I became so familiar with airlines and loyalty programs in the first place: I like to travel and I don't fit in airplanes, so I needed a cost effective way to make the best of a lovely situation. Thankfully I don't travel every week like some of the folks in this thread (and a lot of other people I know), and I travel for leisure a fair bit, but I make it work. It's worth it once I get wherever I'm going. And when work pays for J on international flights, it makes significant strides in maintaining access to seats and benefits that make it possible.

But yeah, I'm just a giant pile of a man. Thankfully my wife considers that a feature, not a bug. :cool:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

P.D.B. Fishsticks posted:

So once agan, gently caress MCO and everything within about a 30 mile radius of it.

That said, does anybody have a recommendation for an iOS app to track money spent on tolls? I'm looking for something where I can just type in dollar amounts at the end of a drive that keeps a running total, so that when I get home I can put the rental car tolls in my voucher before the rental car company bills me for them, and not have to amend my voucher later.

Right now I'm just tossing it all in a note on my phone and adding it up when I get back, but I don't feel like that's the best way to do it.

I usually don't bother tracking spend on tolls. Most toll systems have a calculator where you can enter in your trip and view the toll amounts afterwards. I find that to be the most convenient way to do it.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

I go through the same poo poo. Not sure you can get to MCO easily without hitting a toll road. By the time the tolls hit my corporate credit card my expense report has already been approved and processed. So I submit an expense report for $7.60.

Sitting at the gate right now because United overbooked and they had to beg people to take a later flight and the voucher. I have date night with the wife planned when I get home otherwise I would have jumped on it once they hit $500.

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee
lol if you don't have a recurring expense named "FL State Road 528"

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

tomapot posted:

I have date night with the wife planned when I get home otherwise I would have jumped on it once they hit $500.

My wife would kill me if I didn't take the $500 to pay for some of our next vacation.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

majestic12 posted:

lol if you don't have a recurring expense named "FL State Road 528"

And 417, and 408. Basically any road that doesn't require me to sit at a five minute traffic light every mile, where I can watch turning cars try to run over pedestrians crossing 8+ lanes of crosswalk.

P.D.B. Fishsticks fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Oct 25, 2014

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

sellouts posted:

My wife would kill me if I didn't take the $500 to pay for some of our next vacation.

For reals; my wife has actually taken more bumps than I have.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Mackieman posted:

For reals; my wife has actually taken more bumps than I have.

I only ever seem to get the bump offers when I am on my way TO a work site and can't accept it. Had to pass on a $800 offer from United a few months ago.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

Tyro posted:

I only ever seem to get the bump offers when I am on my way TO a work site and can't accept it. Had to pass on a $800 offer from United a few months ago.

Same, it is terribly annoying.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Sometimes I wish I was 6 feet tall

Nevermind. 171 cm is not too bad. God Bless Cathay.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Y'all want bumps?

Book Monday morning AUS / DFW after SXSW. They'll take volunteers every time. Usually AUS - LAX too.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I just flew dtw to ngo and it was the first day the route was using a new plane. I have never been in such a clean plane where all the seat bits worked perfectly like that before.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Delta doesn't like to bump DMs so I always have to beg.

The Risk
Mar 6, 2014
Anyone has any tips to pack suits in the carryon wrinkle free

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

sellouts posted:

Y'all want bumps?

Book Monday morning AUS / DFW after SXSW. They'll take volunteers every time. Usually AUS - LAX too.

I generally try to get out of town during SXSW as a whole. This year was Europe. But I'm moving to CLT in January so I won't have to deal with it anymore. Good loving luck getting a ticket out of town leading up to it as well; every airline only sells full Y so it's $450 for AUS-IAH. Insanity.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Delta doesn't like to bump DMs so I always have to beg.

I beat Lebron in a pickup game.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

The Risk posted:

There's this

http://www.redoxx.com/flying-fortress-garment-bag/91034/product

Or you can steam your suit when you have a shower/use a portable steamer

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Mackieman posted:

I generally try to get out of town during SXSW as a whole. This year was Europe. But I'm moving to CLT in January so I won't have to deal with it anymore. Good loving luck getting a ticket out of town leading up to it as well; every airline only sells full Y so it's $450 for AUS-IAH. Insanity.

This hasn't been my experience booking direct lax Aus or connecting through to dfw. I mean they aren't q fares but I wasn't ever lucky enough to get y. I usually book a few weeks out.

The hotels though. Downtown sells out in about 4 hours when registration opens. I mean everything. Like 6 months before.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 27, 2014

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

sellouts posted:

This hasn't been my experience booking direct lax Aus or connecting through to dfw. I mean they aren't q fares but I wasn't ever lucky enough to get y. I usually book a few weeks out.

The hotels though. Downtown sells out in about 4 hours when registration opens. I mean everything. Like 6 months before.

Last time I went was such short notice I had to fly to San Antonio, stay out in San Marcos, and drive in. It sucked.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

MickeyFinn posted:

I beat Lebron in a pickup game.

come on, this thread is a safe space for travel humblebrags

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

The Risk posted:

Lookup bundle packing. I carried a suit that way a few times and it was fine. If you're only taking a suit (so you can't bundle) then I think garment bag is your safest option but I don't travel with only suits regularly enough to have a good opinion.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

If you are only taking one jacket, usually wearing it works out better than folding it up.

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

come on, this thread is a safe space for travel humblebrags

If you are ever in Manila at the Shangra-la, I recommend going for the Horizon Club level. The lounge and concierge services make it worth every penny.

Hi from the Philippines, just sayin.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

AA just sent out an email with the new combined status perks that start Jan 1. Exec Plat is now 120 segments, which I will probably never make with my current travel. Thankfully, they're keeping the rest of the segments/miles/points the same (for now).

quote:

Once we combine programs, systemwide upgrades can be used on any American and US Airways marketed and operated flights worldwide.
Yaaay. They're keeping the sticker upgrades too.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
It's actually surprisingly good, although US Platinums (75k) and AA EXPs who qualified on segments are understandably unhappy.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Shockingly good although sticker upgrades are loving bullshit.

At least next year my short hops on USAir will be in F for the most part.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Not sure if this is the right place, but I need some advice on a prepaid sim to use while traveling (I am from the US). Here's where I'm going:
  • England: 1 day
  • Netherlands: 3 days
  • Belgium: 2 days
  • Philippines: 3 days
  • Thailand: 5 days
  • Hong Kong: 2 days

What are my options? Ideally it'd be nice to have one sim to cover it all, but I'm not sure I need to buy a sim in each country. Mainly needing data so I can have access to maps while on foot.

Also saw that T-Mobile has this: http://www.t-mobile.com/simple-choice-international-plans.html

air- fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Oct 30, 2014

The Risk
Mar 6, 2014
gently caress DCA and United.

Sorry for the rant. Is the United Club even good?

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

The Risk posted:

gently caress DCA and United.

Sorry for the rant. Is the United Club even good?

gently caress United. gently caress EWR.

The Risk
Mar 6, 2014
I am still in the Tarmac.

Apparently the new issue is that the airplane has a new flight system and the pilot does not know how to put the airplane weight on it.

They are moving us around the Tarmac to make us think we are taking off.

This airplane is hot as balls.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

The Risk posted:

Is the United Club even good?

Hahaha no. The one at DCA is even worse than at IAD. Sorry for your runway shuttling bullshit.

majestic12
Sep 2, 2003

Pete likes coffee
One of the three people in my service group gave notice :/ Helloooo probly 15 straight weeks of travel starting Nov 10 :geno:

AgrippaNothing
Feb 11, 2006

When flying, please wear a suit and tie just like me.
Just upholding the social conntract!

DJCobol posted:

gently caress United. gently caress EWR.

EWR is fine for transiting purposes, never got a bag there but they transfer fine. I like IAH better and EWR won't turn the a/c on before April something which can make for an uncomfortable layover but what is wrong with EWR?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

it's in new jersey, for starters

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Aristotle Animes posted:

EWR is fine for transiting purposes, never got a bag there but they transfer fine. I like IAH better and EWR won't turn the a/c on before April something which can make for an uncomfortable layover but what is wrong with EWR?

One time I rented an Impala from Hertz at EWR and even though there were "no smoking" stickers all over by the time I was in the highway heading south to Monmouth I was getting pretty tired of the obviously-smoked-in smell. I tried rolling the windows down and the outside air smelled even worse.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

Aristotle Animes posted:

EWR's a lot better when you can stay in Terminal C, as opposed to having a layover between two regional jets and being stuck in the obnoxious Terminal A rotunda, where every gate is doubled or tripled (Hello, A27/A27A/A27X) but the seats, restrooms, and restaurants aren't. I saw that one so many times flying DAY-EWR-CHS.

Of course, my other two layover options were IAD (get stuck at A1-A6 ground level gates) and ORD (Usually end up in Concourse F), but at least at those two airports I could move around without having to wait for a bus.

I guess my real complaint is that I wish I could get more mainline flights, because regional jet gates at hubs are usually pretty terrible.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Of course, my other two layover options were IAD (get stuck at A1-A6 ground level gates) and ORD (Usually end up in Concourse F), but at least at those two airports I could move around without having to wait for a bus.

This is the only time I've heard IAD described as easy to get around. Dulles is a pile of poo poo infested with dishonest scum from all over the world, much like the city it serves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Dulles is pretty nice, though? I always am in B gates and there are nice shops, acceptable food options and it's clean. What else do you want?