Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Chantilly Say posted:

English is international and international is cool and sophisticated.
Interrrrrrrrrrr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tzz
May 15, 2005
COLD

Vogler posted:

I am looking to rent an apartment in central Chiang Mai for 15-25k baht. The Internet must be fast and reliable. Advice is much appreciated!

Edit: After some googling it seems that wired Internet is only for the luxury segment? =/

How central? There are plenty of serviced apartments around Nimman with wired internet.

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Also, even if the apartment doesn't come with wired internet, you might be able to get one on your own. Do ask your potential landlords about this.

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009

FortMan posted:

Also, even if the apartment doesn't come with wired internet, you might be able to get one on your own. Do ask your potential landlords about this.

Yes but I don't want to stay for more than one month. Actually now that I'm here I'm thinking two weeks. I guess I'll just buy a 3g USB-stick. So what is the coolest area to live in Chiang Mai

Vogler fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 25, 2014

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Looking like I am in Thailand for November into December, we can touch dicks irl soon

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Vogler posted:

Yes but I don't want to stay for more than one month. Actually now that I'm here I'm thinking two weeks. I guess I'll just buy a 3g USB-stick. So what is the coolest area to live in Chiang Mai

It's a very small city man, too small to have "areas" really.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Vogler posted:

Yes, shockingly as a two-week renter you have no leverage. Best advice there is to lurk TripAdvisor and elsewhere for a guesthouse with really good internet and just work a deal with them. I have one of these in Phnom Penh, Chiang Mai I can't help (because Chiang Mai is boring as gently caress and I never go).

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Renting short-term in Thailand is basically one of those things that is infinitely easy if you know an actual Thai person that can help you.. Do you know a Thai person?

tzz
May 15, 2005
COLD

Vogler posted:

Nimmanhaemin is where the cool kids go to drink expensive coffee, eat international food, dance in night clubs and pretend they are into artsy stuff but the University area is pretty fun as expected and Chang Phuak is cheap and full of foreigners.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

Vogler posted:

If you don't mind the environment, there are a ton of "co working" spaces in Chiang Mai, eg. Pun Space, which is here, a little outside the moat.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

I'm making my triumphant return in a couple of weeks, I reckon. We can all have a goon dick touch-a-thon.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Finch! posted:

If you don't mind the environment, there are a ton of "co working" spaces in Chiang Mai, eg. Pun Space, which is here, a little outside the moat.

I love this poo poo. My friend is getting kind of rich by opening beautiful co-working spaces in Pittsburgh, SF and LA. I love the concept and kind of want to rent a space one day myself if I ever work for myself.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

eviljelly posted:

I'm making my triumphant return in a couple of weeks, I reckon. We can all have a goon dick touch-a-thon.

To The Rock Murder Island, I guess? How long will you be there for? I get in a bit before Christmas.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I love this poo poo. My friend is getting kind of rich by opening beautiful co-working spaces in Pittsburgh, SF and LA. I love the concept and kind of want to rent a space one day myself if I ever work for myself.

I'm lucky enough to be able to work remotely, but I've never done so in a real co working environment. Only ever bars (Banyan Bar Koh Tao Murder Island) and bungalows in Thailand and Indonesia. One day I'l like to head up to Chiang Mai for a month and do some remote working from there. I guess I'll get to know the city a lot better that way rather than just being a tourist.

There are a few co working spaces here in Adelaide, and for some reason proximity to one or more is high on my list of criteria for my next house.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pretty sure we could get Finch arrested if we started calling it Murder Island and implying we know which goon did it.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

eviljelly posted:

O RLY

Email me details when you know what's what, yo. I'll see you off to your inevitable death.

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009

tzz posted:

Nimmanhaemin is where the cool kids go to drink expensive coffee, eat international food, dance in night clubs and pretend they are into artsy stuff but the University area is pretty fun as expected and Chang Phuak is cheap and full of foreigners.

Oh cool I just booked a hotel in Chang Phuak for Tuesday to Friday. If I like it there I'll stay in Chiang Mai for a month or so. The 3G seems to be working fine so I don't have to worry about stable wi-fi anymore.

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Finch! posted:

To The Rock Murder Island, I guess? How long will you be there for? I get in a bit before Christmas.

Yeah, man! I'm tentatively planning on a 2 month stint this time. We'll see how it goes.

Say, do you know any bungalow or guesthouse on Murder Island with really reliable/fast internet? I need to be able to make voip calls pretty seamlessly (you know, for work ;-* )

ReindeerF posted:

O RLY

Email me details when you know what's what, yo. I'll see you off to your inevitable death.

I'll know in the next couple of days! We need to conquer another tower of beer.

tzz
May 15, 2005
COLD

Finch! posted:

Punspace is okay, but it gets a bit overcrowded sometimes and it's not worth it unless you need stuff like big monitors. There are other alternatives and tens of small cafés nearby that cater to remote workers with plenty of power outlets and nice tables.

Last month I was there I didn't renew my Punspace membership and ended up spending a lot of time at CAMP at Maya. It's huge, it has decent cheap food, good coffee and a nice mixture of Thai students and remote workers. You get a couple of hours of Wi-Fi for every 50 THB you spend, so as long as you eat there and have a couple of coffees you have enough for a full workday's worth of internet access.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

eviljelly posted:

Yeah, man! I'm tentatively planning on a 2 month stint this time. We'll see how it goes.

Say, do you know any bungalow or guesthouse on Murder Island with really reliable/fast internet? I need to be able to make voip calls pretty seamlessly (you know, for work ;-* )

Awesome. See you at Banyan around 8pm on December 19th - I'll be jetlagged as gently caress. I'm flying from Vancouver to Taipei to Bangkok to Samui and hopefully making the evening Lomprayah from Nathon at 5pm.

I'm not 100% sure which wifi is the best. I usually just buy a DTAC sim and a data package and tether my phone to my laptop. A while back I managed to somehow get unlimited full speed 3G Internet for the month but have no idea how I did it and haven't been able to do it again since.

tzz posted:

Punspace is okay, but it gets a bit overcrowded sometimes and it's not worth it unless you need stuff like big monitors. There are other alternatives and tens of small cafés nearby that cater to remote workers with plenty of power outlets and nice tables.

Last month I was there I didn't renew my Punspace membership and ended up spending a lot of time at CAMP at Maya. It's huge, it has decent cheap food, good coffee and a nice mixture of Thai students and remote workers. You get a couple of hours of Wi-Fi for every 50 THB you spend, so as long as you eat there and have a couple of coffees you have enough for a full workday's worth of internet access.

Thanks for the tips. I only mentioned Punspace because it was the first one I knew about in Chiang Mai.n I'm still not sold on the city itself, but maybe if I went back for longer I'd like it more.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
So first of all, I met up with Tytan (Matt) a couple weeks ago in Phnom Penh and that was a blast. Thanks again. The western (non-Asian) food in Cambodia was pretty drat good. So is the beer.

Beginning next week Air Asia is starting direct flights between Chiang Mai and Surat. It might not sound like a big deal (and it probably isn't to most people), but I'm looking forward to it. There are already direct flights to Bangkok and KL, but it's nice to have an option to bypass Bangkok completely. It's too expensive to fly from Koh Samui and it's annoying to fly to Krabi or Phuket and then take a bus/minibus to this side of the peninsula.

Again, if anyone ever finds themselves passing through Surat, let me know. It's actually a decent little place.

Tytan
Sep 17, 2011

u wot m8?
Great to meet you dude, glad you had a good time here. Like I said give me a shout if you're back in town at all. And apologies for the crazy bar staff, although it was pretty funny... I've confirmed my theory that she is a lot better behaved when the boss is around haha.

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009

ReindeerF posted:

Yes, shockingly as a two-week renter you have no leverage. Best advice there is to lurk TripAdvisor and elsewhere for a guesthouse with really good internet and just work a deal with them. I have one of these in Phnom Penh, Chiang Mai I can't help (because Chiang Mai is boring as gently caress and I never go).

I am actually considering going to Phnom Penh after I tire of Chiang Mai as I think the mood there will suit me better. I would need wired Internet though, I am a professional poker player so wi-fi won't cut it. I disconnected twice using Truemove H 3G today. It's a lot better than shared wi-fi, but still not good enough.

If you know of a riverside serviced apartment with cabled Internet and overall nice facilities for 1-1.5k USD then I'm there in a few weeks time.

Edit: Of course it doesn't have to be riverside, but somewhere central is a must. I spent a couple of nights in Phnom Penh back in 2008 and I remember it being difficult to walk anywhere due to the sidewalks being parking spaces for SUVs. I like going for midnight strolls to find a midnight snack or a night cap. I will check out the town for a week or so before I make a decision.

Vogler fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 27, 2014

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
http://phuketwan.com/tourism/phuket-local-confesses-bashing-american-lump-wood-21267/

:ughh:

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

I dont know whos the worse dumbass in that stostory.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
No running into the bushes on behalf of either party is what shocks me the most.

Reforger
Apr 9, 2004

Master of Matebas
I'll travel to Phuket in a week. First time trip to Thailand.

Should I preventively start to chew imodium like candy as soon as I land or wait for the shits to actually start?

Also I'm telling myself that Malaria isn't a problem in Patong: Confirm/Deny?

Any special things to do in Patong other than the Soi Bangla shenanigans that I'm unfortunately not interested in? (But I travel with a group of male friends so there will be no evading of Chang, Singha, women offering companionship, ping pong balls, eels, cigars or whatnot for me.)

Basically what can be done during the day other than beach stuff?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I've been in Thailand for a number of months at different intervals and had diarrhea exactly two days. North, South, middle, all around. Maybe that's luck or proper attention to situations that appear unhealthy but I consider Thailand, and the tourist areas in particular, to be low diarrhea risk areas.

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.
I've been in SE Asia for two months now and have had no unusual making GBS threads activity.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

HelixFox posted:

I've been in SE Asia for two months now and have had no unusual making GBS threads activity.

Did you see people street poo poo

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

yah bah, yah ice?

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.

caberham posted:

Did you see people street poo poo

That's not unusual though?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
SEAMT: I travel with a group of male friends

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

You and your male friends should be less concerned with Malaria and more concerned with Super Ebolaids

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006

Tytan posted:

Great to meet you dude, glad you had a good time here. Like I said give me a shout if you're back in town at all. And apologies for the crazy bar staff, although it was pretty funny... I've confirmed my theory that she is a lot better behaved when the boss is around haha.

Yeah I definitely want to head back to Phnom Penh and Cambodia in general. I really loved it out there. No need for apologies, even if her attention wasn't 100% genuine, it was still entertaining.

Completely off topic, do any of the Thai-based goons here know if there is some kind of decent online shop for getting Western products delivered to you? My friends and I make (semi-)decent beer here and we usually order our stuff online. It would be nice to order something like, I dunno, some American potato chips or shampoo from home that you can find in Bangkok but not Surat. Thanks.

LosMein fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Oct 28, 2014

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
In Bangkok you would go to Foodland for that kind of stuff but I'm pretty sure they don't ship anything out.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

XyrlocShammypants posted:

You and your male friends should be less concerned with Malaria and more concerned with Super Ebolaids

Or just aids and other STD's

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Shnicker posted:

Yeah I definitely want to head back to Phnom Penh and Cambodia in general. I really loved it out there. No need for apologies, even if her attention wasn't 100% genuine, it was still entertaining.

Completely off topic, do any of the Thai-based goons here know if there is some kind of decent online shop for getting Western products delivered to you? My friends and I make (semi-)decent beer here and we usually order our stuff online. It would be nice to order something like, I dunno, some American potato chips or shampoo from home that you can find in Bangkok but not Surat. Thanks.

Yeah, try out Brew Craft. It's a Hong Kong based store but they ship their items all over South East Asia for small batch brewers like you guys. It's a small network of brewers in SEA so the owner has a great rep

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
I'm still annoyed that they don't stock cheese at 7-11. Had to go all the way to a Tesco Lotus.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Negligent posted:

I'm still annoyed that they don't stock cheese at 7-11. Had to go all the way to a Tesco Lotus.

I feel like I've seen packs of cheese slices at the 7. I'll have to remember to check next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Reforger posted:

I'll travel to Phuket in a week. First time trip to Thailand.

Should I preventively start to chew imodium like candy as soon as I land or wait for the shits to actually start?
Absolutely not. As far as I've read, Imodium is used in emergencies to "plug" your diarrhea so you can do something important, like boarding an airplane without making GBS threads yourself. You must at the same time treat the symptoms, probably best done with natural methods like rest, drinking liquid, getting a little salt and sugar, and eating very simple.

Instead you can preventively eat probiotics made for travelling. They're a bit overpriced though, the next time I go I might just look at some probiotics not specifically made for travelling; I bet they work just as well. Or maybe I don't need them at all, it's tough to say. Anecdotally, I spent two weeks in Phili this summer and had no problems at all, except after drinking coffee the first couple of times (whoa).