Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

PriorMarcus posted:

I have thousands of pounds of Lego, I wouldn't really judge you for any reason.

Weight or value

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Irony Be My Shield posted:

but their disguises had some weaknesses that were revealed during season 6.

Thanks to getting over the hard part of the story (remembering that the Silence exist and what they look like) offscreen. Also escaping from certain death (offscreen).

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Weight or value

Either is kinda sad unless he forgot to add at the end "in a box in my parent's basement from when I was a child."

Edit: Not saying Legos are bad, per se. There are worse ways to spend an afternoon than engaging in an mindlessly simplistic children's activity. The problem with Legos is that you're paying a lot of money to build this stupid thing once and then.. what? What do you do with a lego set once its finished? Stare at it like the chimp who discovered fire? What's the loving point? Buy Minecraft if you want to play with blocks. Its cheap and doesn't clutter your apartment/house with toys that make you look like a pedophile.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Oct 27, 2014

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Irish Joe posted:

Stare at it like the chimp who discovered fire?

If you were the chimp who discovered fire you would be the most innovative chimp who ever lived, so this isn't an insult really.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Weight or value

Value. And I either build my own creations with it or modify existing sets if it's from a theme I like to improve them. It's a hobby.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Irish Joe posted:

Its cheap and doesn't clutter your apartment/house with toys that make you look like a pedophile.

God forbid we end up looking like a pedophile.

quote:

That kid has the most amazing blow job lips I've ever seen.

Back on topic, I enjoyed this episode. The weak ones for me this season were Kill the Moon and Listen. Which were still good, but just B and B- episodes for me, respectively.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Thanks to getting over the hard part of the story (remembering that the Silence exist and what they look like) offscreen. Also escaping from certain death (offscreen).
Wow yeah I forgot how bad the time-skip was.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Man, some people are being real shitheads to a young man that had the gall to admit that he's lost some respect for somebody who opened his eyes to a lot of stuff during his formative years. It's not like Doctor What is expressing opinions that are actually moronic. I don't always agree with him, but he expresses himself well and often has some good ideas. I know wearing the coat is goofy, but it seems kind of absurd to hate him for it.

As for this week's episode, it looks like I'll have to wait a little longer to see what the fuss was about. I didn't get the chance to watch last night, and my card wasn't charged, so I have to assume there was a problem with the Amazon version coming through. :(

Astroman posted:

I realize that the audios are a peripheral part of the mythos, but Sandifer acts as though they ended in 2005. They don't neatly fit into the "Wilderness Years" narrative so that's that. Sandifer constructed this premise that the show was cancelled, the fans kinda kept a dim flame going, and then their meager, paltry efforts were crushed beneath the mighty triumphant return of the full show. Meanwhile you have writers and actors working on both series to this day, cross pollinating ideas, the audio showrunner is a major tv monster voice and the tv one canonized the audios.

I mostly agree with you, but I do think the audios sort of work if you think of them as being in the same category as "wilderness years," even though they kept going. I'll probably change my mind once I get to the EDAs, but so far, I think even the ones that I've heard post 2005 have that same feeling as the wilderness years stuff. Big Finish is just very well controlled and thought out compared to the rest of it.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

Man, some people are being real shitheads to a young man that had the gall to admit that he's lost some respect for somebody who opened his eyes to a lot of stuff during his formative years. It's not like Doctor What is expressing opinions that are actually moronic. I don't always agree with him, but he expresses himself well and often has some good ideas. I know wearing the coat is goofy, but it seems kind of absurd to hate him for it.

I wish I was as eloquent as DoctorWhat is when I was 18, and wish I had the stones to own and wear *the coat* in public now.

The writer of this episode was very nice about my negative blog on it on Twitter, and now I feel a bit of a heel.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
DoctorWhat's a good kid with bad taste in Doctors.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

DoctorWhat's a good kid with bad taste in Doctors.

Lord, no. Six is the best old series Doctor; I don't care how many people disagree.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Irish Joe posted:

The problem with Legos is that you're paying a lot of money to build this stupid thing once and then.. what? What do you do with a lego set once its finished? Stare at it like the chimp who discovered fire? What's the loving point? Buy Minecraft if you want to play with blocks. Its cheap and doesn't clutter your apartment/house with toys that make you look like a pedophile.

I am glad I don't live in Irish Joe's world, where no one can have a hobby unless it "has a point". Y'know, beyond being enjoyable and probably stress relieving.

I fight as an amateur, don't have any intention to go Pro for a career (though I will do it as a "end goal" before I retire). I basically get injured for no purpose what-so-ever. Same thing with any amateur athlete or hobbyist for ANY ACTIVITY.

Unless you spend 100% of your time making direct contributions to society as a whole, you're essentially wasting your time and resources on "pointless activities". Except no activity is pointless, we're human beings. Every action has a point, no one does anything unless they get something positive from it . It may not be obvious as a direct cause/effect, but he's benefiting somehow from the activity/collection/whatever.

I understand your point is to piss people off and that's how you get enjoyment, but come on. At least make a better argument if you're going to pointlessly engage in discussion in this thread, or attack someone directly. I mean, poo poo, by that logic why even bother living? You're going to die and lose all your money/friends/family/etc anyway. Why waste the time/effort?

edit: I just realized that Irish Joe is basically the anti-Doctor, arguing against some of the primary 'ideals' the show tries to inspire in people.

And to make this post relevant to the show itself: I enjoyed the magical growing forest, but I recognize the stupidity of the entire concept. It's was enjoyable, and that's what matters to me.

vvvv Sorry about the effort post response to a troll, but I was a philosophy major (pointless degree btw) and this poo poo is fun for me, even if I sound heated I still would love to debate with you Irish Joe but you gotta put a little more effort into the logic behind your statements.

McGann fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 27, 2014

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Irish Joe is an "edgy" shitposter and it's best to just ignore him.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
The Seventh Doctor is the best Doctor because he's always prepared for rain.

McGann posted:

vvvv Sorry about the effort post response to a troll, but I was a philosophy major (pointless degree btw) and this poo poo is fun for me, even if I sound heated I still would love to debate with you Irish Joe but you gotta put a little more effort into the logic behind your statements.

My statements don't have a solid throughline because I genuinely don't understand the appeal of Legos. Its not so much the enjoyment of it (I get that its a mindless activity after a hard day's work), but the cost/benefit ratio of it. Spending $35 dollars for a half hour of enjoyment, and then being left with the clutter of the completed lego kit, seems crazy to me. Why not take that time and money and put it towards building furniture, something people actually use and has actual value?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Irish Joe posted:

My statements don't have a solid throughline because I genuinely don't understand the appeal of Legos. Its not so much the enjoyment of it (I get that its a mindless activity after a hard day's work), but the cost/benefit ratio of it. Spending $35 dollars for a half hour of enjoyment, and then being left with the clutter of the completed lego kit, seems crazy to me. Why not take that time and money and put it towards building furniture, something people actually use and has actual value?

Let he who has not spent :10bux: on a forum account cast the first stone.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Irish Joe posted:

But then you can take it apart and make something else. And again, and again, and again.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
When I was younger I'd spend hours engineering new and increasingly complex action-figure designs from Bionicle/Technic parts. Added articulation, more diverse proportions, et cetera. It was hugely rewarding.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Irish Joe posted:

That's the trick, though. The value you attach to it is not the same as someone who enjoys the activity. Never mind the better argument that's already been posted (You're not paying for a single 30 minute session, but a lifetime of rebuilding and tweaking/etc), you're making the mistake of thinking the $Amount:Value is the same for you as it is for someone with an engineering streak.

Hell, I've never owned nor do I understand the appeal of Legos - but I do understand that some people get enjoyment out of it. The same as I get enjoyment out of being punched in the face (well, more so if they miss but you get the idea), but 99% of the world thinks I'm a loving loon. Plus, there are side benefits not directly related to the actual activity which add value.

I do appreciate the additional thoughts because it lets me see better where you're coming from - I agree that on the face, the cost/benefit does suck. But I also think $150 to enter a bodybuilding show is retarded (plus $200 more for a NPC card required to compete, and it expires in TWO MONTHS), but that doesn't stop people who enjoy the process. (Sorry, spent the weekend watching my sister compete in a physique competition, and it blows my mind what a rip-off/cash cow that entire sport is). But she loves it, it relieves stress and it's a hell of a lot better than what she focused on before (It ended with her in an orange jumpsuit, to give an idea).

However, I like your point about turning your creative hobby into a productive outlet - though you run the risk of ruining the hobby by making it a "job", if you can find a hobby you enjoy and not let it become "work", that's the best possible outcome right there. Some people don't want to run that risk, though - or prefer to keep it a hobby for simplicity sake, or have no interest in producing additional value for society. That's not to say it's not an investment in themselves, if it's a positive outlet and doesn't overtake higher priority things (food, shelter, mental and physical health, financial health, etc).

btw I have to agree about 7's Umbrella being the best possible accessory, except when it (spoiler for the Klein trilogy) gets him shot for having it mistaken for a gun .

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

We should move off this debate and onto something more relevant, like how it's Lego not Legos.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

Why not take that time and money and put it towards building furniture, something people actually use and has actual value?

What is gained by posting on forums instead of using that time to build furniture?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

MrL_JaKiri posted:

We should move off this debate and onto something more relevant, like how it's Lego not Legos.

Sorry, I don't care enough about corporate branding IP-protecting jargon to take part in that particular bit of linguistic commodification.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I am very upset that they removed the plea on their website asking for people to refer to them as Lego bricks or Lego blocks and not Legos in an effort to preserve the integrity of the Lego brand. It was one of my favorite little bits of corporate PR-speak.

My fiance and I stopped in the Lego store during a wait in between cake tastings a few months ago, just to see what they're doing these days and some of it seems kind of cool. They're wicked expensive though, and I assume they always must have been. I have no idea how my parents ever afforded them!

I could make some token effort to relate this back to Doctor Who here, but I shall decline.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

Sorry, I don't care enough about corporate branding IP-protecting jargon

Lego vs Legos both contain the brand, duder

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

I could make some token effort to relate this back to Doctor Who here, but I shall decline.

Oooh, I'll do it. I really learned to appreciate Lego's design and build quality when I helped my sister put together the Doctor Who Character Building Tardis Console Room Mega Set. Compared to Legos, some of the pieces just didn't quite fit together right, and it was frustratingly difficult to connect some of the wall sections to the base at the correct angle.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Lego vs Legos both contain the brand, duder

Yes, but Lego insists on "Lego bricks" instead of "Legos" because they don't want the brand to be genericised.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I wasn't suggesting calling them Lego bricks, I'm not sure how you got onto that.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Please do not refer to other fascist automatons as Daleks. Use the terms "Dalek-like" or "reminiscent of Terry Nation's robots mutant creatures." Please preserve the brand integrity of the majestic Dalek by only referring to genuine, BBC approved Daleks using that name. Thank you.

-The Nation Estate

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Diabolik900 posted:

Oooh, I'll do it. I really learned to appreciate Lego's design and build quality when I helped my sister put together the Doctor Who Character Building Tardis Console Room Mega Set. Compared to Legos, some of the pieces just didn't quite fit together right, and it was frustratingly difficult to connect some of the wall sections to the base at the correct angle.

I got my son the Dalek Factory set about three years ago and I can testify that this is 100% accurate. poo poo pops off all over the place and doesn't line up quite right, the angles are weird, and that goddamn thing remains only halfway constructed to this day as a result.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

My aunt used to basically consider it a prank to buy Lego sets for birthdays and Christmases, because in a family with three children, inevitably one of them is going to just leave them lying around until an adult steps on them, getting them embedded in their feet and screaming like one of the burglars from Home Alone. If the Doctor Who versions are difficult enough to assemble to not only require adult help, but to give the adults pause when assembling, then this only increases their prankitude.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Suck it up and buy the hard copies

quote:

Larry Miles posted:
The "Doctor Who" special has made me feel like a 13-year-old again! Because in the week of my thirteenth birthday, they showed "Timelash".

Lawrence Miles wrote "Interference" and "The Adventuress of Henrietta Street". He is in no position to criticize any one else's writings.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Diabolik900 posted:

Yes, but Lego insists on "Lego bricks" instead of "Legos" because they don't want the brand to be genericised.

Seriously? As someone whose work includes a lot of marketing, I gotta disagree with them on that. It certainly hasn't hurt Kleenex, Bandaid, or Coke (if you're in the south, I guess). That's like free top of mind awareness IMO.

But I don't run a multi-million dollar corporation, either, so they win that argument no matter what.

OK on to Doctor Who! I did a re-listen of the UNIT stories while working in the yard today and I really wish we'd get more. Unfortunately with no Brigadier (even though he was only in the 'prequel' and last one, with a small part in #2), I think it's pretty unlikely we'll see any more soon.

I got halfway through Unbound: Deadline, which I've had for a while but never got into. Liking it so far - I'm a tad confused but then again I think I am supposed to be. Gonna finish it on my commute to teach tonight but so far so good.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I can't remember is this thread had told me already or not, but if you had, I had completely forgotten that the Big Finish Sarah Jane line ended on a cliffhanger and that she got her role on the show shortly afterward, leaving it forever unresolved. :stare:

It's too bad. The second season was actually okay once they'd worked out some of the kinks.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
I'm glad to see that I'm not alone in thinking that this latest Who episode was just... boring as hell. I didn't read too much into the "meds" message, so I'm not outraged or anything, but the entire ep was just, "A Thing happened and The Doctor and Danny and Clara and a bunch of stupid kids were there."

Too bad, too, because I've enjoyed most of what this season has had to offer. (Yes, even Robots of Sherwood, because gently caress it, I love me some brainless fantasy cheese.) In fact, if they don't screw the pooch on the finale too much, I'd declare it the best of the new run so far, IMO.

Then again, that's a very big "if."

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I call it Lego because "Legos" looks really awkward (legoss?)and it isn't nice to say, that might be why they branded it as such.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Diabolik900 posted:

PantsOptional posted:

I got my son the Dalek Factory set about three years ago and I can testify that this is 100% accurate. poo poo pops off all over the place and doesn't line up quite right, the angles are weird, and that goddamn thing remains only halfway constructed to this day as a result.

Well good news everyone, they might make Doctor Who Lego in the future! Assuming the proposed designs make it past the Lego approval process.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

McGann posted:

OK on to Doctor Who! I did a re-listen of the UNIT stories while working in the yard today and I really wish we'd get more. Unfortunately with no Brigadier (even though he was only in the 'prequel' and last one, with a small part in #2), I think it's pretty unlikely we'll see any more soon.

'Sup Listenin'-to-UNIT buddy? :hfive: I finished The Wasting last night, and that was definitely a great series. Parts of The Longest Night were some of the tensest moments I've heard in Big Finish yet.

Throughout the whole thing, all I could think was that this is what Torchwood should have been. Now it's my turn for Sarah Jane Season 2, then I, Davros and I'll be caught up in the spin-offs to where am in the main range.

I posted a while ago about both the revived series and Big Finish being fan creations, where one has a bigger budget and better distribution network. Dismissing one because the other is on TV is missing the point.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Davros1 posted:

Lawrence Miles wrote "Interference" and "The Adventuress of Henrietta Street". He is in no position to criticize any one else's writings.

"The Adventuress of Henrietta Street" is great! It's the one Doctor Who novel I wish wasn't a Doctor Who novel, because it'll never be reprinted and I think it really deserves to be. Not that I agree with him about Day of the Doctor; I have personal problems with it but think it's very solidly put together.

vegetables fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 28, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

HEY GUYS LET'S TALK ABOUT FACTION PARADOX said nobody ever

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Devil Wears Wings posted:

In fact, if they don't screw the pooch on the finale too much, I'd declare it the best of the new run so far, IMO.

Then again, that's a very big "if."

I'd say the same. Listen, Mummy and Flatline were as good as anything in the revival, and even the failures have had enjoyable bits. I can't thing of anything as mediocre as Idiot's Lantern or 42 or Rings of Akhaten.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 28, 2014

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

HEY GUYS LET'S TALK ABOUT FACTION PARADOX said nobody everLawrence Miles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bicyclops posted:

Please do not refer to other fascist automatons as Daleks. Use the terms "Dalek-like" or "reminiscent of Davros' robots mutant creatures." Please preserve the brand integrity of the majestic Dalek by only referring to genuine, Kaled approved Daleks using that name. Thank you.

-Davros

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well good news everyone, they might make Doctor Who Lego in the future! Assuming the proposed designs make it past the Lego approval process.

:clint: When I was a kid we just made our OWN Doctor Who legos. I had a TARDIS exterior, console room set, and Daleks.

• Locked thread