Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

Authenticity isn't really an issue when you have characters like Captain Falcon and Fox (where they're in vehicles almost all the time) or the anime swordsmen (who are pawns on a strategy game board). Or Ganondorf, for that matter; when was the last Zelda game where Ganondorf just cold-cocked Link like Hulk Hogan? My guess is that the people who want Bayonetta in Smash want her there because they like the game and think she's cool, just like every other character in Smash.

Captain Falcon is a pretty unique case as he was introduced in the original game to recycle a model from when it wasn't going to be a Nintendo character game. Fox's moves are mostly based on moves he has in-game or are also recycled from when it wasn't going to be a Nintendo character game. Almost every game since Star Fox 64 (except Command) has had him fight outside of his vehicles. There have been three Smash games since then.

RyokoTK posted:

Or Ganondorf, for that matter; when was the last Zelda game where Ganondorf just cold-cocked Link like Hulk Hogan?

Gannondorf has punched Link in the goddamn face in everything from Wind Waker to Hyrule Warriors.

RyokoTK posted:

My guess is that the people who want Bayonetta in Smash want her there because they like the game and think she's cool, just like every other character in Smash.

They want Bayonetta there except she doesn't look, act or play anything like Bayonetta. It's kind of weird honestly. You could include a Bayonetta who only has kid-friendly moves but at that point why bother? "Woman in skintight suit with laser guns and a whip and giant heeled shoes" exists already in the game, it's called Zero Suit Samus.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Oct 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

RyokoTK posted:

Authenticity isn't really an issue when you have characters like Captain Falcon and Fox (where they're in vehicles almost all the time) or the anime swordsmen (who are pawns on a strategy game board). Or Ganondorf, for that matter; when was the last Zelda game where Ganondorf just cold-cocked Link like Hulk Hogan? My guess is that the people who want Bayonetta in Smash want her there because they like the game and think she's cool, just like every other character in Smash.

Well in Wind Waker Ganon was cold cocking Link and Zelda all the time and was only defeated when he decided to pull out his swords.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Between ZSS butt shots and the easily mimic-able violence of hitting people in the face with a bat ftw, or just, you know, beating the poo poo out of each other, is smash really that pure of a think-of-the-children game anyway? Can DLC be rated differently than the game? (I know that would potentially restrict her from online play I'm just curious if it's ever been done)

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Doesn't every game ever have an "online interactions not rated by ESRB" disclaimer anyway?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Trent posted:

Between ZSS butt shots and the easily mimic-able violence of hitting people in the face with a bat ftw, or just, you know, beating the poo poo out of each other, is smash really that pure of a think-of-the-children game anyway? Can DLC be rated differently than the game? (I know that would potentially restrict her from online play I'm just curious if it's ever been done)

The game is rated E10, so yes. ZSS is a bit on the odd side but super-cartoony violence is not generally considered a bit rating raiser. There's a huge gulf between E10 and Teen while the gap between Teen and Mature tends to be a lot smaller. (And often kind of nonsensical.)

As for the second question:

ESRB Website posted:

Downloadable content (DLC) that will be appended to a previously-rated product need only be submitted to ESRB for rating if its content exceeds that which is in the existing "core" product. Otherwise, the rating assigned to the core product is applicable to the DLC as well. Where, however, DLC content exceeds the rating assigned to the core product, it must be submitted to ESRB and a different rating may be assigned to the DLC.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Doesn't every game ever have an "online interactions not rated by ESRB" disclaimer anyway?

That is referring to the actual people you play with online, not DLC content.

The major thing with Smash is that unless you intended to divide the playerbase, a new fighter is inherently going to be part of every game, even if just as someone people can face online. This means that a DLC like that has an actual impact on the game rating. I don't think that this has ever become a big issue because developers avoid it specifically because of that. Nobody wants to have to deal with a recall-for-rerating sort of situation.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 27, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

RyokoTK posted:

Authenticity isn't really an issue when you have characters like... the anime swordsmen (who are pawns on a strategy game board).

Despite them just being pawns on a giant chessboard, they actually are pretty authentic to Fire Emblem animations and mechanics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6GK8sj71rQ

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Pretty much, yes... the ESRB cannot protect lil Junior from hearing people call him "human being" on XBL.

But the operative word is "interactions"

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
There's no way nintendo would release DLC higher than the age rating it already has.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

ImpAtom posted:

No, because neither of those things are iconic to Snake and it is in fact possible (and encouraged) to go through the game without cutting anyone's throat. You literally can't do a basic attack in Bayonetta without the things I mentioned.

Bayonetta has literally hundreds of moves that does not involve anything that could be perceived as anything other than just kicking rear end. No poledancing or whatever else you are worried about needed.

I don't think Bayo would ever make smash anyways, but moveset is absolutely not the problem.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

A Bayonetta pole dance move would be too weird for Smash. That would be a weird thing, to have Bayonetta dancing on a pole in Super Smash Brothers. The game is rated E10, not DancePole. Imagine if that made it in.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I can't tell what's happening in that screenshot. Could you provide a cleaner picture with HD resolution? Preferably animated. Thanks in advance.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Evil Canadian posted:

Bayonetta has literally hundreds of moves that does not involve anything that could be perceived as anything other than just kicking rear end. No poledancing or whatever else you are worried about needed.

I don't think Bayo would ever make smash anyways, but moveset is absolutely not the problem.

The point is, why put in a character who literally has to hide themselves to be age appropriate, which goes against the main characteristic and reason Bayo is such an important character? Why put in bland combos when there are thousands of other characters they can and should use first? Just look at the Assist trophies.

The real problem is that Mr. Wedgewood isn't in this.

Chris Christie
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ugh. I'm really worried about Wii U games going out of print/skyrocketing in cost before I can buy physical copies of them. Same crap happened with the Wii, I never got the Metroid Prime Trilogy for example. I still want it, but not for $100 or more. Geez.

Pikmin 3 recently went out of stock on Amazon for good and can now only be had for like $70 from private sellers. Googling around, where it is still in stock, it's $60 at least. It was low on my wish-list, so I'll probably never buy it now.

Duck Takes went out of stock on Amazon a week or 2 ago, so I quickly bought it from a private seller before its price skyrockets.

Lego Marvel has now gone out of stock on Amazon and without a "more on the way" message. I can still find it for $19 elsewhere, but I can't buy it at the moment.

Sonic Racing and Lego Batman 2 are almost out of stock, but Amazon does say it will continue stocking them ("more on the way"). But for how long? They'll probably go the way of Duck Tales and Pikmin 3 eventually.

I'm hoping I can knock out a lot of my wish list after Christmas, BUT the Christmas shopping season over the next 2 months might cause many more of them to go out of stock permanently and skyrocket in price before then, like has happened with Pikmin.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Mercury Crusader posted:

I can't tell what's happening in that screenshot. Could you provide a cleaner picture with HD resolution? Preferably animated. Thanks in advance.

I sharpened it up a bit for your viewing pleasure

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Chris Christie posted:

Ugh. I'm really worried about Wii U games going out of print/skyrocketing in cost before I can buy physical copies of them. Same crap happened with the Wii, I never got the Metroid Prime Trilogy for example. I still want it, but not for $100 or more. Geez.

If you aren't opposed to the idea of searching local stores, you can probably find some of those games at a K-Mart or ShopKo or whatever kind of big retailer that people don't normally shop for games at, either at MSRP or priced for clearance. I know a local Toys R Us store still had a couple of copies of DuckTales Remastered, and every now and again I'll see a copy of Pikmin 3 occasionally at $50.

oddium posted:

I sharpened it up a bit for your viewing pleasure

:vince:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Evil Canadian posted:

I played through Bayonetta and Bayonetta 2. There are 'generic' moves but they're not really particularly iconic and beyond a certain point could be tied to any character in the world. Like I said, at this point people are going "Well, they could include Bayonetta as long as you trimmed out huge chunks of the character" and at that point why not just ask for someone else who fits better?

I mean beyond a certain point you could just include Wonder Red (w/W101-themed attacks) as a character and basically get a similar moveset from another Nintendo-Platinum game. It also has the advantage of being a wholly Nintendo-owned IP instead of another Sega-owned one.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 27, 2014

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Chris Christie posted:

Also, at the very least, every major release is downloadable too, so not being able to find a copy for a reasonable price only affects the collectors value of owning physical copies. Xenoblade Chronicles being rare wouldn't have been such a huge issues if the game was just downloadable also.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

bushisms.txt posted:

The point is, why put in a character who literally has to hide themselves to be age appropriate, which goes against the main characteristic and reason Bayo is such an important character? Why put in bland combos when there are thousands of other characters they can and should use first? Just look at the Assist trophies.

The Wonderful Ones would fit so much better than Bayonetta I'm not sure how people haven't realized this??

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

bushisms.txt posted:

To add on this, Nintendo redesigned the Link costume to add a little more cleavage in Bayonetta 1 and 2 themselves because Platinum's initial concept was more modest out of respect for Link, but Nintendo felt that was out of character for Bayonetta. Nintendo's not gonna include a character if they have to heavily suppress what makes that character unique and distinctive.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Looper posted:

The Wonderful Ones would fit so much better than Bayonetta I'm not sure how people haven't realized this??

They wouldn't be in because the 3DS probably couldn't handle it (it's why Ice Climbers are gone and why the transforming characters were split up).

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Looper posted:

Because nobody bought that game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Renoistic posted:

I hate to break it to you about Bayonetta 2...

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Renoistic posted:

I hope that now that W101's getting music and trophies in Smash, more people will buy that game.

ImpAtom posted:

If we're talking about Japan's sales, then yeah Bayonetta 2 royally sucked and was doomed from the word go. Is there any indication of western sales for Bayonetta 2 yet?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

If we're talking about Japan's sales, then yeah Bayonetta 2 royally sucked and was doomed from the word go. Is there any indication of western sales for Bayonetta 2 yet?

Not yet but it's extremely unlikely that it will see a significant jump. Japan's first-week sales for the original Bayonetta were x3 the US's. It probably won't be that bad this time but it's pretty unlikely it is gonna be anything but a super-niche seller.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Unlike W101 though this was getting stellar reviews across the board and press, positive or negative, for being tangentially related sexism in gaming and gamergate.

(though personally I think the W101 characters and fan service camera are actually far more problematic)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

greatn posted:

Unlike W101 though this was getting stellar reviews across the board and press, positive or negative, for being tangentially related sexism in gaming and gamergate.

Nobody who isn't knee-deep in gamer culture gives a poo poo about that stuff and Platinum's games are limited market at best. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'd love for Bayo2 to sell a billion copies and keep getting sequels but it isn't. It's going to under-perform, be in bargain bins in a few months and in upcoming years more people than actually bought it are going to whine about how people bought Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty instead.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Not yet but it's extremely unlikely that it will see a significant jump. Japan's first-week sales for the original Bayonetta were x3 the US's. It probably won't be that bad this time but it's pretty unlikely it is gonna be anything but a super-niche seller.

I've been hearing lots of reports that the game's sold out in stores and my friend, who works an assistant manager at a gamestop, says his store's out too, so maybe that's a sign of good news? It also seems that Bayonetta 2's landed at 6-7th place on UK's sales numbers and was the only new thing released to make the chart, so it definitely seems that the game's selling.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

greatn posted:

You think gamergate will have any significant effect on sales? Or well, anything?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Does anyone know what difficulty the Bayonetta 2 demo is set to? I'm hoping it was Normal since I intend to play on Easy...

It was insanely cool though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Regy Rusty posted:

Does anyone know what difficulty the Bayonetta 2 demo is set to? I'm hoping it was Normal since I intend to play on Easy...

It was insanely cool though.

I'm pretty sure it is Second Climax (Normal)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

greatn posted:

(though personally I think the W101 characters and fan service camera are actually far more problematic)
Good jokepost, very funny.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

ImpAtom posted:

The first one sold over a million at least. I hope 2 does reasonably well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Renoistic posted:

The first one sold over a million at least. I hope 2 does reasonably well.

The first sold over a million across X-Box 360 and PS3 with a strong presence in Japan.

Bayonetta 2 is a single-SKU release sold on a poorly-selling system that already solid less than a quarter of Bayonetta 1's initial sales in Japan. It ain't impossible for it do well but the odds are pretty slim. The reports about it being sold out suggest a very low print run, not gangbuster sales.

It sucks because it's probably the best game this year. :smith:

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Bayonetta 2 moving 2 million copies is very possible and would be a respectable number.

shhhh don't burst my bubble.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I think caring about sales numbers is very problematic.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

elf help book posted:

I think caring about sales numbers is very problematic.

That's nice, but that's what publishers tend to care about if you're worried about a sequel.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
I don't understand why people wouldn't buy Bayonetta 2. If they're getting a Wii U for Smash, they should at least pick up the best game on the system to tide them over. :smith:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sometimes I wonder how I ended up on this forum that caters to high level video game publishing executives.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Sales numbers are usually inversely correlated with the quality of the game (minus a *few* exceptions).

If you worry about that bullshit then lol.

Call of duty, GTA, halo, WoW expansions, etc will still pump lovely sequels. Who cares.

Bayonetta 2 loving owns.

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

ImpAtom posted:

The first sold over a million across X-Box 360 and PS3 with a strong presence in Japan.

Bayonetta 2 is a single-SKU release sold on a poorly-selling system that already solid less than a quarter of Bayonetta 1's initial sales in Japan. It ain't impossible for it do well but the odds are pretty slim. The reports about it being sold out suggest a very low print run, not gangbuster sales.

It sucks because it's probably the best game this year. :smith:

Crap, I'm abroad and won't be in my home region until next year. I searched the online stores and there are barely any Bayonetta1+2 packs left. I'm gonna have to call someone to pick it up! I don't even own a Wii U.

• Locked thread