Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Insurrectionist posted:

Honestly Shirou gets a lot of character-development and the game explores a lot about his beliefs and opinions, and challenges them. I won't take that away from it, and in certain ways he's one of the more developed protagonists I've seen in VN/anime. The problem I have with it is that the base character is so loving generic and boring, I don't give a poo poo about his progression, whether it's big arc-defining things like his superhero-complex getting challenged or just if he learns to not be condescending to Saber. It's nice if I've got a great idea of his moral compass and he's seen more character-development than most other characters I've seen, but that doesn't help when his basic attributes and opinions are and remain off-putting.

In the end I can't connect with him at all because he still does all the dumb generic protagonist poo poo like walk in on Saber in the bath or spouting stupid phrases or, for large periods of the game, act like a complete moron about the war, interacting with friend and foe, etc. I mean, in the end there was enough magic fighting, somewhat appealing characters and good BGM to keep my attention throughout but I still don't like Shirou. It's like polshing a turd, F/SN does the best and most thorough turd-polishing anyone could ask for, sparing no expenses and using high-quality polishing-cream imported from Brazil, you can see that they don't want to just make a generic turd MC with no thought or plot put into it. But they still start off with a turd, and a turd it ends up.

/

Me while reading your opinions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Insurrectionist posted:

Honestly Shirou gets a lot of character-development and the game explores a lot about his beliefs and opinions, and challenges them. I won't take that away from it, and in certain ways he's one of the more developed protagonists I've seen in VN/anime. The problem I have with it is that the base character is so loving generic and boring, I don't give a poo poo about his progression, whether it's big arc-defining things like his superhero-complex getting challenged or just if he learns to not be condescending to Saber. It's nice if I've got a great idea of his moral compass and he's seen more character-development than most other characters I've seen, but that doesn't help when his basic attributes and opinions are and remain off-putting.

In the end I can't connect with him at all because he still does all the dumb generic protagonist poo poo like walk in on Saber in the bath or spouting stupid phrases or, for large periods of the game, act like a complete moron about the war, interacting with friend and foe, etc. I mean, in the end there was enough magic fighting, somewhat appealing characters and good BGM to keep my attention throughout but I still don't like Shirou. It's like polshing a turd, F/SN does the best and most thorough turd-polishing anyone could ask for, sparing no expenses and using high-quality polishing-cream imported from Brazil, you can see that they don't want to just make a generic turd MC with no thought or plot put into it. But they still start off with a turd, and a turd it ends up.

I don't agree, but unlike forums bully Cake Attack, I respect your right to feel that way.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
The fact that people still argue about Shirou being a dumb protagonist in the year of our lord 2014 proves to me that somehow that he is at least more interesting than that Sword Art Online guy because at least people argue about whether Shirou is interesting or not.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Is the only good anime on crunchy roll Parasyte? As in current.

Edit: just saw mushishi is getting a second season, dunno how they can keep going with that but cool! And where are people catching the second season of psycho pass? And mushishi for that matter?

Just for shits and giggles; are there any other anime suggestions along these lines (mature, kinda no bullshit) reccomendations, again current, that anyone would have off the top of their head?

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 27, 2014

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

NeoSeeker posted:

Is the only good anime on crunchy roll Parasyte? I think I saw mushishi on there but I've seen that series half a dozen times.

Like at all, or being simulcast?

Yes either way, but there's obviously more quality amongst the library as a whole

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

NeoSeeker posted:

Is the only good anime on crunchy roll Parasyte?

Madoka and Kyousougiga were still on CR last time I checked :confused:

If you're talking about poo poo from this season, KimiUso and Yona are pretty okay, but Parasyte is pretty much the best thing they got.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Redcrimson posted:

If you're talking about poo poo from this season, KimiUso and Yona are pretty okay, but Parasyte is pretty much the best thing they got.

Chaika is good too, although it's a second season

Also F/SN although we may have talked about that one enough

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Is Chaika S1 still on CR?

Fake edit: It is, yes. Also good, Chaika. Worth watch.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Redcrimson posted:

Can you sell me on Kyousougiga? It sounded interesting but I need a little push to put down Hunter x Hunter

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Razzled posted:

Can you sell me on Kyousougiga? It sounded interesting but I need a little push to put down Hunter x Hunter

Just watch the first episode.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Razzled posted:

To paraphrase my spiel on the wiki: Kyousougiga is like if you took FLCL and replaced the comedy with character-drama. It's frenetic, colorful, kinda confusing, and overflowing with creativity and artistry. It features what is arguably the strongest role in Rie Kugimiya's career. The story is thematically consistent and resonant, tightly paced and plotted, emotional and affecting. Kyousougiga is the kind of show that retroactively justifies all the schlocky nonsense that pays for passion projects like this, and asserts anime as a legitimate artform.

As an aside, if you're going to watch it, start with episode 1 of the TV series and skip all the ONA/OVAs.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Redcrimson posted:

As an aside, if you're going to watch it, start with episode 1 of the TV series and skip all the ONA/OVAs.

To elaborate, the first half of TV series expands upon the content from the preceding ONA/OVAs. As a result, you won't get much additional content out of watching them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Compendium posted:

The fact that people still argue about Shirou being a dumb protagonist in the year of our lord 2014 proves to me that somehow that he is at least more interesting than that Sword Art Online guy because at least people argue about whether Shirou is interesting or not.
otoh Shirou doesn't get beautiful long hair in any of the spinoffs and thats frankly a shame

Endorph fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Oct 27, 2014

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Compendium posted:

Or...it's because he's in an anime airing right now?

I mean I don't read SAO threads because why would I but I imagine when a season is airing there are generally people arguing about Kirito.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Insurrectionist posted:

Or...it's because he's in an anime airing right now?

I mean I don't read SAO threads because why would I but I imagine when a season is airing there are generally people arguing about Kirito.

There is a season of SAO airing right now.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

nielsm posted:

There is a season of SAO airing right now.

Well there you go.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Isn't it an adaptation of a hetero dating sim? :confused:

It's a mobile card game, so, the player barely exists and there's no story to speak of

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Phobophilia posted:

I watched F/Z and have never touched the F/SN VN because it seems like the most boring spergiest thing ever.

Yeah, F/Z was drat awesome, the best show of it's season, but watching how people in the discussion thread would sperg about the stupidest poo poo completely turned me off the rest of the media.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Compendium posted:

That really only says something about their respective fanbases here because if you don't think people are arguing about SAO guy on Gaia or somewhere then I dont know what to tell you.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Just watch the first episode.

Thanks, did so and it was pretty neat. I think it's kind of refreshing for it to be so zany but it seems to tell the story in such a matter of fact way that it doesn't bother mincing words on the why as opposed to some other series where the world building begins with an hour long exposition of explicit details.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rexides posted:

Yeah, F/Z was drat awesome, the best show of it's season, but watching how people in the discussion thread would sperg about the stupidest poo poo completely turned me off the rest of the media.
that's just the fanbase

nasu's fond of infodumping about how magic works but he just likes having rules clearly defined. the fanbase is just bad and likes debating power levels because, well, dbz ended and they need something to do. it isnt really all that 'spergy' and as an anime adaptation the anime airing now can't really have all of the text that the vn has

i mean there's still exposition but the f/z anime had plenty of exposition too. remember that time tokiomi and kotomine's dad walked in circles around kotomine for like ten minutes explaining the plot

anyway im not saying you have to watch ubw or nothing but you can give it a shot and just ignore the terrible threads.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
but DBZ is airing right now, as well

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

NeoSeeker posted:

Just for shits and giggles; are there any other anime suggestions along these lines (mature, kinda no bullshit) reccomendations, again current, that anyone would have off the top of their head?

Garo It's like Kino's Journey but more people die along the way :choco:

Oh it's a medieval setting w/mecha knights and I miss Gatchaman Crowds a lot. Story is OK. Animation is tolerable. Chars are not original but I like their designs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

but DBZ is airing right now, as well
yes but we already decided many years ago that goku could totally beat sephiroth

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Endorph posted:

yes but we already decided many years ago that goku could totally beat sephiroth
Anyone with energy attacks these days could beat Sephiroth...

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

That really only says something about their respective fanbases here because if you don't think people are arguing about SAO guy on Gaia or somewhere then I dont know what to tell you.

I'm pretty sure if the people here had read the SAO books when they were 14 instead of playing FSN we'd be getting plenty of arguments about how deep and cool and complex Kirito is.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Razzled posted:

Thanks, did so and it was pretty neat. I think it's kind of refreshing for it to be so zany but it seems to tell the story in such a matter of fact way that it doesn't bother mincing words on the why as opposed to some other series where the world building begins with an hour long exposition of explicit details.

That recommendation was literal. The rest of the episodes of the series are as you described.

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

Paracelsus posted:

Or you could just power through Seorin's LP in a lot less time. A 10-15 hour investment is a lot to ask of someone who wants to know whether to watch a show that's only a couple hours long so far.

...or you could just google the plot and figure it out in a few hours.

Seriously, if you manage to get into it'll be a fun ride and you'll enjoy every minute of it, wishing that there was more to it, not less.

quote:

Also the first route of F/SN is often said to be a lot weaker than the others.

I disagree with that. The first route isn't as good as the others but it's still a fun ride and you will appreciate the other two routes a whole lot more (not because they're better, but because of 'what could have happened if X didn't Y"? as well as character development which follows through naturally as you read them in order). If you grow to like Saber (and what's not to like?) you'll not think of it as a 'weak route' or 'mandatory introduction' either.

I don't think there's much point to getting involved in the Fate franchise unless you become a bit of a fanboy (which isn't hard if it's your type of thing) and just want to learn as much about the characters as possible.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

Redcrimson posted:

They have Another and Angel Beats as well as Madoka. I was scanning the double digit catalog for hellsing cause I thought I saw it. I'll check out Kyousougiga though.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Kubla Khan posted:

...or you could just google the plot and figure it out in a few hours.

Just reading up on the plot of something can't really tell you if it's good or bad. Especially with anime in particular :v:

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

Alder posted:

Oh it's a medieval setting w/mecha knights and I miss Gatchaman Crowds a lot. Story is OK. Animation is tolerable. Chars are not original but I like their designs.

The OP is also really good. I actually dropped the show after a few episodes because I was watching way too much at once, but I'm glad I watched as much as I did just for the OP.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

glomkettle posted:

The OP is also really good. I actually dropped the show after a few episodes because I was watching way too much at once, but I'm glad I watched as much as I did just for the OP.

As in, it's good visually and aurally. JAM Project + Yuasa-style animation = win.

This is an excellent season for fantasy anime.

Chromius
Aug 5, 2014

Stays shiny, even in milk.
I agree with Paracelsus that when it comes to Fate/Stay Night I think the Let's Play is probably the better way to experience the VN. Especially when it comes to the Fate route.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Garo is basically Joseph and Jotaro: Demon Hunters. And it's totally worth watching.

Personal_Nirvana
Dec 28, 2012
Man Bahamut just keep getting better/more ridiculous with each new episode. Any chance the show gets the 2 cour treatment?

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Bahamut is the best show this season so far and probably will be overall depending on how much F/SN is going to cover.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Today I stumbled upon the greatness that was the Animerica comic series line. Which ended in 2004 when I was 9. And never got to read...

I suddenly feel very sad. :negative:

Kubla Khan
Jun 20, 2014

Srice posted:

Just reading up on the plot of something can't really tell you if it's good or bad. Especially with anime in particular :v:

I was trying to be ironic, I guess I failed.

:negative:

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Alder posted:

Is it actually like Kino's Journey? If so I will get on that immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
Started watching Shirobako, am on the second episode now where they record the voices, and it just hit me...the show they're making looks exactly like real life. As in, there's no discernible difference between the art style of Shirobako and Exodus. Exodus maybe looks a tiny fraction of a bit more "moe". I guess it's just a suspension of disbelief thing. But like if there was a shot of a dude going through the channels on his television the news and Exodus would look almost identical, it's pretty funny.

• Locked thread