Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

bowmore posted:

Does anyone else have 5+ series they have all started and are halfway through?

I'm going to have to start finishing them

I don't know about finished series, but I'm sure there's at least that many unfinished ones I'm partway through. I do know that since I've had a Kindle I'll be reading multiple books at the same time a lot more than before I had one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

bowmore posted:

I pretty much only ever read one book at a time, so no, not really.

Exception: series that the author has not yet finished. :argh:

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

bowmore posted:

I do this with books in general

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Detective Thompson posted:

Should I buy the newer translation of Roadside Picnic? I have an older one downloaded, but I've heard it's a bit janky.

I read the 2007 edition recently, which I believe still uses the original Antonina Bouise translation. I didn't notice any glaring syntax issues or had any problem following the story or dialogue FWIW.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

bowmore posted:

So many more than that. Usually because I read all the books the author has released, and then when he comes out with a new one like 2-3 years later I don't really remember it in detail enough to be as interested in reading the last book, so it just sits there, on my 'to read' list, forever. If I actually force myself to read it it usually (but not always) comes back, but getting to that point is hard, and the longer I wait the harder it is.

I read a lot of books, so a lot of the ones that aren't amazing blur together with time.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I always finish what I start.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I never do, which makes detective books more intriguing.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Its not about finishing. Sometimes your just like, Balano I was really enjoying your orgies but your wearing me out I think we should see other people for a bit plus I just met this guy Svevo and we really hit it off and well let's take a break. Then do this like four more times before getting back to 2666

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Well 2666 is the most overhyped garbage I've ever read so good choice.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
What's the best way to go about selling a bunch of books? I'm moving overseas (for good, this time) and I don't think it makes financial sense to take them with me. Is it at all cost-effective to do online, should I take the better ones to a used bookstore, or what?

Gonna donate the leftovers to my local library (they run a small second-hand bookshop stocked with donations to help with operating expenses) :3:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The only local used bookstore to me just gives store credit, so if you are moving it doesn't seem that that'd be a great idea.

Online might work though.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

Pompous Rhombus posted:

What's the best way to go about selling a bunch of books? I'm moving overseas (for good, this time) and I don't think it makes financial sense to take them with me. Is it at all cost-effective to do online, should I take the better ones to a used bookstore, or what?

Gonna donate the leftovers to my local library (they run a small second-hand bookshop stocked with donations to help with operating expenses) :3:
Depends on the books, but you might try SA Mart first, goons do buy books, and you'll avoid fees. Bookstores are usually not a very good option, they'll give you a bit of credit.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

blue squares posted:

Well 2666 is the most overhyped garbage I've ever read so good choice.

Please source your scoff posts

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Anyone have any thoughts on Perfidia yet?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
So I've got three possible series I'm considering getting into, at this point just based on reading the rear cover. Since I don't necessarily trust that this is painting an accurate picture of what I can expect the story to be about, has anyone here read The Dwarves, Leviathan Wakes, or ExHeroes?

Of the three I kind of expect Leviathan Wakes or ExHeroes to turn out to be schlock, but just checking.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Those all look terrible and schlocky

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
ExHeroes was pretty decent.

The entire pretense is superheroes vs zombie apocalypse, so if you don't expect more than that you'll be golden.

There's like 4 in the series and I've read em all. All pretty good.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...
Neuromancer by William Gibson is on sale for Kindle today for $1.99. Definitely worth a read if you haven't. Laird Barron's The Imago Sequence is also $1.99. I haven't read this one, but I see it posted all the time... Figured I'd post them since they're pretty popular and a good deal. Plus, how appropriate to read Neuromancer on an ereader... SO FUTURISTIC!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Neuromancer-William-Gibson-ebook/dp/B000O76ON6
http://www.amazon.com/The-Imago-Sequence-Laird-Barron-ebook/dp/B0070YQT4A

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

tonytheshoes posted:

Neuromancer by William Gibson is on sale for Kindle today for $1.99. Definitely worth a read if you haven't. Laird Barron's The Imago Sequence is also $1.99. I haven't read this one, but I see it posted all the time... Figured I'd post them since they're pretty popular and a good deal. Plus, how appropriate to read Neuromancer on an ereader... SO FUTURISTIC!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Neuromancer-William-Gibson-ebook/dp/B000O76ON6
http://www.amazon.com/The-Imago-Sequence-Laird-Barron-ebook/dp/B0070YQT4A

Great Neuromancer related story: The first time I read the book was on my kindle. After finishing it, I didn't have anything else on it that I felt like reading, so I grabbed a paperback. Read the first page. Tapped the page so it would turn to the next.

Was really glad no one saw that.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I need a new book for my kindle, guess I'll check Kindle Unlimited to see if there's anything interesting available. Sort by average customer review and..

:lol:

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
So I wana read "American Gods" by Neil Gamian, but the "author's perfered text" is twice as much as the first edition. Is there a significant difference between the versions, or can I get away with being a cheapskate?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Benny the Snake posted:

So I wana read "American Gods" by Neil Gamian, but the "author's perfered text" is twice as much as the first edition. Is there a significant difference between the versions, or can I get away with being a cheapskate?

I've only read the preferred version, but I think it's supposed to be the uncut original manuscript (though copy-edited). Something like 20% longer?

But no idea if it's worth it..

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
So it's nearly October, so I'm absorbing a lot of horror, I find a copy of Bentley Little's book The Burning. Okay, so I'm reading it, stuff about the old sins of America visiting itself on the present and causing all sorts of havoc, there's black mold that turns people into murderous racists, and trains destroying poo poo because it's tied into the abuse of the Chinese that helped build America's railways, and the ending's kinda weak, eh okay overall I guess, but there was just one part that bothered me.

There was this one chapter like 2/3 of the way in where we find ourselves visiting a kid's classroom where some black mold has shown up. The mold's whole purpose is 'turn people into lunatics' or 'form bodies and kill white people'. So what happens in this chapter? The mold attracts a bunch of bees. Then the bees form into the shape of George Washington's head. Then the bees buzz in such a way that it implants some kind of post-hypnotic suggestion in the kids, and they all go and try and bash all their teeth out so they can put wood in their mouths to crudely replica Washington's supposed wooden teeth. Then the teacher faints and a kid starts bashing her teeth in with a rock, and the chapter ends.

This never comes up again, the mold never again demonstrates the ability to do anything like this, it's just this random slice of mean horror out of nowhere (and yes, while horror books often love the "Let's go briefly look at this bad thing" trick, usually the bad thing is SOMEWHAT related to the story). It's like Little had this random horror idea, couldn't make a short story out of it, so he just dumped it into this narrative. You'd think professional writers or editors wouldn't allow that, it's just plain weird.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Bentley Little books tend to be a lot like that, and that's not even one of the better Bentley Little books. It's not really the type of book you're supposed to be thinking about.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
Bentley Little novels are amazing because each one has structurally the same plot concerning the incredibly rapid escalation in the scope/powers of some supernatural evil, inevitably losing all impact on the reader as it becomes increasingly absurd and fragments the tone and narrative arc. I'd wager Little was a satirist, or at least aimed to be a comic writer, if his output frankly suggested he is not that self-aware.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Having also just read The Store and The Academy, I get the impression that that is exactly what he's doing. He's basically going "Okay, this thing? It has some pretty nasty things about it if you look closely or at the right angle. doesn't it? What, you don't notice? You don't want to notice? Okay, let's take this thing with its small bad aspects and then get its dial and crank it and have exponentially more horrible things happen. Notice it now? Why not before? Why didn't you care before? How would you feel if others didn't notice or care this cranked-up version? How would you feel if you were stuck in this nightmare version and couldn't get out? Scary, isn't it?"

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

So I've been thinking about picking up two books.

The first is Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. I've picked up and set down this thing about five times, reading the first 100 pages or so every time. I don't have very strong opinions about DFW, but my composition instructor this term is head over heels for him. I was hoping that by picking the book back up again and reading more than just the intro, I could attempt to incorporate some of his writing style to get that sweet sweet A.

The second is Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert M. Pirsig. I have been listening to this on audiobook and feel as if I am missing out by not reading it paperback.

Any of you have experience/opinions on these two books?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Read Infinite Jest
Read Infinite Jest
Read Infinite Jest
When you feel like stopping, don't. The story is not presented chronologically. There is much that you will not and can not grasp until a second read-through (or going to a fansite). Enjoy the individual scenes for what they are. Let go of your attempts to understand everything. It will all begin come together before page 300.
Read Infinite Jest

DannyTanner
Jan 9, 2010

IJ takes a bit to get going. Don't give up!

As far as Zen, I thought it was unbearably bad and one of few books I could not finish.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Was The Goldfinch as great as everyone says it is? I just overheard two random people ranting about it at Barnes and it's not the first time. I feel as if I'm missing out on having avoided reading it since it's not anywhere near the usual type of thing i'd read.

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

It's not a literary masterpiece but the story is great. Have you ever read anything by Donna Tartt before?

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

elbow posted:

It's not a literary masterpiece but the story is great. Have you ever read anything by Donna Tartt before?

Nope, never. A friend of mine really loves The Secret History but that's the only other time I've heard of her.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
It certainly is very compellingly readable, and Boris is a pretty cool character. I definitely liked it, though Secret History is still my favorite of hers.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

So I've been trying to find an EBook copy of Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian

B&N , Kobo, Amazon, etc... all list the ebook as "unavailable"

Did something happen to cause all the major sites to take down their EBook copy?

If anyone can steer me to the right place to purchase it it would be great!

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Sappo569 posted:

So I've been trying to find an EBook copy of Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian

B&N , Kobo, Amazon, etc... all list the ebook as "unavailable"

Did something happen to cause all the major sites to take down their EBook copy?

If anyone can steer me to the right place to purchase it it would be great!

Are you outside the US or something? I just checked Amazon and the kindle version is available.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Radio! posted:

Are you outside the US or something? I just checked Amazon and the kindle version is available.

Yes Canada, I wonder if someone would kindly buy me the Nook version?

Maybe if its gifted they can get around the US restriction

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/master-and-commander-patrick-obrian/1100871637?ean=9780393307054

Nevermind, apparently you can spoof B&N by entering a US billing address, and using your regular CC

Yay

Blue On Blue fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 19, 2014

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
How is John LeCarrè's last name pronounced?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Le Carrei, like the A in "base".

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
It's a bit of a weird question, but has anybody here read The Screwtape Letters? I'm trying to find the part where a couple are planning a meal out (a picnic maybe?), and each goes out of their way to be courteous to the other and to refuse the other's courtesies which leads to an argument and bad blood on both sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

AlsoD posted:

It's a bit of a weird question, but has anybody here read The Screwtape Letters? I'm trying to find the part where a couple are planning a meal out (a picnic maybe?), and each goes out of their way to be courteous to the other and to refuse the other's courtesies which leads to an argument and bad blood on both sides.
It's the "generous conflict illusion", and it's in letter 28.