Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.

TheDK posted:

One of them was 3500 goddamn US dollars. May have been sideswipe I think?

:psyboom:

Smokescreen is $4000, for that price he better help me cheat at slots!

HiriseSoftware fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Please post pics of AFA graded guy and his wares.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

BBTS has a gold chrome MP-05 Megatron up for preorder. Are they doing a better one soonish? I kind of blacked out and woke up with aone of those preordered; is that a bad thing? Is MP-05 not so great?

Similar line of questioning: how different is the MP-11 mold from the MP-whatever it was that was Wal-Mart Skywarp? I have Wall Mart Skywarp, and I'm okay with his hip kibble: how different is the MP-11 mold, anyway?

Given the two dif reissues they're putting out, it seems like a MP Megs 2.0 announcement isn't far off.

MP-05 has issues. The knee ratchets tend to just break after awhile, and various other pieces feel very fragile. He looks okay in bot mode once everything is aligned, but you better not touch him if you want those things to stay aligned. His waist separates very easily when picked up, and he can stand in very few poses. His arm canon is enormous (it's in scale to the gun mode) and he can't support it without the right side of his body drooping under its weight. His face sculpt doesn't look quite right, and his skinny legs are oddly long to get him to MP-01's height.

His P38 mode is spot on, albeit giant, and is the only real strength of the figure.

I've defended this figure in the past because he was sort of impressive in his complexity and was at the time the best Megatron, but figures have gotten so much better since. Hegemon, the X-Transbot one above...they simply leave MP-05 in the dust.

tldr: MP-05 sucks, wait for Takara to announce 2.0 version or go 3rd party.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What part of the city is the con? I declined to go to Supernatural Con with my girlfriend but now I feel stupid as I could have hitched a ride and hung out with you dudes.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.

Rhyno posted:

What part of the city is the con? I declined to go to Supernatural Con with my girlfriend but now I feel stupid as I could have hitched a ride and hung out with you dudes.

It's at the same hotel. She's buying Transformers right now.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Rosemont.

This was my second con (first was Charticon last year) and I had a blast. Got way too drunk Friday and slept too much on Saturday as a result. Ended up passing out early last night and missed the party at the bar. However, got some awesome robots, got to meet strangehamster (missed the doctor), and had some deep dish pizza. Overall I give it two thumbs up. I'm planning on Toronto next year.

Will post a lovely phone pic of my haul later when I get home. Still amazed I fit everything into my suitcase.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HiriseSoftware posted:

It's at the same hotel. She's buying Transformers right now.

gently caress. Me.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
Yay, Chevy Aveo for $30! Was only in a few countries (not US) and only sold at Chevy dealers after a test drive.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

HiriseSoftware posted:

Yay, Chevy Aveo for $30! Was only in a few countries (not US) and only sold at Chevy dealers after a test drive.

Having driven an Aveo, I think $30 is still overpriced.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Ka0 posted:

I almost feel bad for TFC. After the tfcon reveals, lots of people are jumping off the ship on Prometheus.

I will concede about TFC's plain-ness but based on their Hercules and Uranos I do not think that it is such a bad thing. When I finished assembling Fansproject's M3 I realized how futile the over-fiddliness of design is if the engineering isn't there to back it up. I sold mine because I could not enjoy a toy that constantly fell apart just from trying to pose it, let alone uncombine and transform. Whenever I see Quantron it becomes clear how the same mistakes were repeated. I'm not blindly knocking on Maketoys or FP, but their offerings seem overtly complex for the sake of being.
:goonsay:

I find M3 to be pretty solid once he's all together, but he is unquestionably the fiddliest third party combiner I have when it comes to transformation and the actual act of combining. Diesel is so overdesigned that I came back around the other side and love him because of it. I would have a hard time recommending him to the average fan, but as someone who always wanted high end Stunticons, that set is glorious. That said, I am not particularly interested in any more like that. I think Herc and Uranos are about the right level of detail versus plain, but Defensor is just too far in the other direction. And yeah, Quantron and now Maketoys' Defensor just remind me of how annoying Giant's components were, and combined with how small they are, I have no interest in any more of their combiners.

quote:

Granted I just care for Hot-spot and First Aid. Whoever gets those right will interest me.

Not gonna lie, if TFC's Hot Spot was better, I might be willing to overlook the rest of the set's flaws, but I just find him kind of repulsive. Maybe we're just expecting too much from a group of emergency vehicles after teams of planes, construction equipment, exotic cars, and war machines? Is that as good as the Protectobots are going to get?

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:

Endless Mike posted:

Having driven an Aveo, I think $30 is still overpriced.

A guy on the other side of his little booth had one for $75, so I think I got a good deal for the rarity of this thing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
AoE Voyagers are $20. Aoe Leaders $35. Anything must have?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

HiriseSoftware posted:

A guy on the other side of his little booth had one for $75, so I think I got a good deal for the rarity of this thing.
I got my Aveo for like $20 from sirtoys or whatever that website is maybe 2 months ago.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:

Xenomrph posted:

I got my Aveo for like $20 from sirtoys or whatever that website is maybe 2 months ago.

Eh well it's been on eBay for far too much and it was calling my name at the show, so..

Plus with Transformers I like to see things in person before I buy them.

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Rhyno posted:

AoE Voyagers are $20. Aoe Leaders $35. Anything must have?

Don't bother with the Leaders unless you really want them. Leader Optimus is alright, Leader Grimlock has lots of problems, such as the fact that his dino mode looks like crap. Neither of them are outstanding enough to be a must-buy

Voyager-wise, I'd say anything is fair game. Evasion Mode Optimus is a must-buy, Voyager Grimlock is overall better than his Leader version (albiet with a more garbage weapon), AoE Hound is just a really fun figure with a load of guns.

AoE Galvatron is a fun figure, who compacts his vehicle mode shell really well, but he lacks in paint apps.

Slog is kinda weird, but I like him. Part of his soft plastic is misformed due to how he's in the package, but if you want all of the Movie Dinobots, you should get him.

Voyager Drift is just a repaint of that one voyager from Dark of the Moon (I forget the name), but he was a pretty drat rad mold, and it looks great in Drift's color scheme. If you already owned the origional figure, then you might give it a pass, but otherwise, get him

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

XavierGenisi posted:

Voyager Drift is just a repaint of that one voyager from Dark of the Moon (I forget the name),

Skyhammer

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

I love the robot toys. They are good. It is immensely calming to transform. Things fit together like they should.

I want a Devestator. Make me one Hasbro.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

XavierGenisi posted:

Don't bother with the Leaders unless you really want them. Leader Optimus is alright, Leader Grimlock has lots of problems, such as the fact that his dino mode looks like crap. Neither of them are outstanding enough to be a must-buy

Voyager-wise, I'd say anything is fair game. Evasion Mode Optimus is a must-buy, Voyager Grimlock is overall better than his Leader version (albiet with a more garbage weapon), AoE Hound is just a really fun figure with a load of guns.

AoE Galvatron is a fun figure, who compacts his vehicle mode shell really well, but he lacks in paint apps.

Slog is kinda weird, but I like him. Part of his soft plastic is misformed due to how he's in the package, but if you want all of the Movie Dinobots, you should get him.

Voyager Drift is just a repaint of that one voyager from Dark of the Moon (I forget the name), but he was a pretty drat rad mold, and it looks great in Drift's color scheme. If you already owned the origional figure, then you might give it a pass, but otherwise, get him

Sweet, might go back for some Dinobots.

Xenomrph posted:

Cool, thanks!

I got him, $17 and change after tax, I'll find a box tomorrow and figure out shipping costs. You want him out of package to save?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Phy posted:

Skyhammer

aka the best ever transformer to turn into a helicopter as its primary goal. Gen Springer owns, but it's not the best at being a heicopter-Robo; Skyhammer's a masterwork.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Saw the $30 walmart Jetfire display, could not resist

DoctorWhat posted:

aka the best ever transformer to turn into a helicopter as its primary goal. Gen Springer owns, but it's not the best at being a heicopter-Robo; Skyhammer's a masterwork.
That moment where his blades transform from vehicle to robot and you notice it has little perfect tabs to lock them in you're just like yessssss

I'm pretty sure in the Vangelus interview where he asks about using that mold the Hasbro dude was like 'mold ownz, wanted to use it again'

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Spiderdrake posted:

Saw the $30 walmart Jetfire display, could not resist
That moment where his blades transform from vehicle to robot and you notice it has little perfect tabs to lock them in you're just like yessssss

I'm pretty sure in the Vangelus interview where he asks about using that mold the Hasbro dude was like 'mold ownz, wanted to use it again'

Well yeah, it's the best ever use of helicopter blades ever in a TF figure that isn't turning them into seperate weapons or whatever.

They turn into speed lines! :krad:

It'd only be better if it had thigh swivels, but there's just no room in the engineering for them.

I'm so glad the Drift version happened, because that gives it actually-good weapons instead of mechtech nonsense. But I love my skyhammer well enough anyway and I got it for like 10bux at an outlet store so I'M NOT COMPLAINING.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Oct 26, 2014

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So if you have a biglots around it might be worth checking for older CHUG stuff. The ones near me had some Universe 2.0 stuff including Autobot Countdown.

http://randomtoyreviews.blogspot.com/2012/09/transformers-universe-autobot-countdown.html

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Countdown_(G1)

He's around the size of Leader jetfire and way more bulky. And for a good long time he was the largest figure until Metroplex came out. Granted his G1 version was a micromaster, but the figure is one hell of an upgrade.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

$30 Jetfire at Walmart? Brb.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Semi-ironically eating at Toby Keith's I Love a This Bar and Grill, is anyone still here?

gently caress the haters 34oz of beer is just $4!!!!
(That is a whole liter of piss water, The Doctor!)

strangehamster fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 27, 2014

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

The Taint Reaper posted:

So if you have a biglots around it might be worth checking for older CHUG stuff. The ones near me had some Universe 2.0 stuff including Autobot Countdown.

http://randomtoyreviews.blogspot.com/2012/09/transformers-universe-autobot-countdown.html

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Countdown_(G1)

He's around the size of Leader jetfire and way more bulky. And for a good long time he was the largest figure until Metroplex came out. Granted his G1 version was a micromaster, but the figure is one hell of an upgrade.

Biglots are super hit-or-miss by me. They used to be havens of after-market TF releases but starting about a year ago most of them cleaned out their entire toy section and since then they've barely had any Transformers at all. The ones by me just got the first wave scouts w/minicons (Starscream, Bumblebee, Prime, and Megatron) and are selling them at the somewhat ludicrous price of $10. They also just got the last Kre-O combiner wave in with Computron and Menasor, also $10.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

strangehamster posted:

Semi-ironically eating at Toby Keith's I Love a This Bar and Grill, is anyone still here?

gently caress the haters 34oz of beer is just $4!!!!
(That is a whole liter of piss water, The Doctor!)
I ended up leaving around 11, sorry I didn't come say goodbye. Thanks for the brawl though!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

No $30 Jetfire :argh: where did that number come from anyway?

But I did pick up Skybyte and Roadbuster for $20 each. So, we'll call it evens.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So they posted spoilers about the new cartoon

Optimus needs to evolve into OPTIMUS SUPREME by going on a spiritual journey. Now the only Optimus Supreme that ever existed was the Energon Optimus and Omega Supreme combination. Which I assume any sort of combiner for RID15 is next to impossible given the limited size class.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

catch22 posted:

Given the two dif reissues they're putting out, it seems like a MP Megs 2.0 announcement isn't far off.

MP-05 has issues. The knee ratchets tend to just break after awhile, and various other pieces feel very fragile. He looks okay in bot mode once everything is aligned, but you better not touch him if you want those things to stay aligned. His waist separates very easily when picked up, and he can stand in very few poses. His arm canon is enormous (it's in scale to the gun mode) and he can't support it without the right side of his body drooping under its weight. His face sculpt doesn't look quite right, and his skinny legs are oddly long to get him to MP-01's height.

His P38 mode is spot on, albeit giant, and is the only real strength of the figure.

I've defended this figure in the past because he was sort of impressive in his complexity and was at the time the best Megatron, but figures have gotten so much better since. Hegemon, the X-Transbot one above...they simply leave MP-05 in the dust.

tldr: MP-05 sucks, wait for Takara to announce 2.0 version or go 3rd party.

Good to know, thank you I'm reconsidering.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is that better looking Evasion Mode two-pack out yet? I've been waiting on that to pick up EM Prime.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Captain Invictus posted:

Is that better looking Evasion Mode two-pack out yet? I've been waiting on that to pick up EM Prime.

Is that the one with the faceplate?

Hey Xeno, Slog is cheaper on Amazon right now
http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-...s+voyager+class

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 27, 2014

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Captain Invictus posted:

You're going to have to be specific. There's a bunch of them out.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Rhyno posted:

I got him, $17 and change after tax, I'll find a box tomorrow and figure out shipping costs. You want him out of package to save?
Absolutely.

In fact if you want to hold off on shipping and see if you can get lucky on the ML Target 3-pack, I don't mind waiting.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Xenomrph posted:

Absolutely.

In fact if you want to hold off on shipping and see if you can get lucky on the ML Target 3-pack, I don't mind waiting.

I'll give a look but there were none at Target today.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The Taint Reaper posted:

So they posted spoilers about the new cartoon

Optimus needs to evolve into OPTIMUS SUPREME by going on a spiritual journey. Now the only Optimus Supreme that ever existed was the Energon Optimus and Omega Supreme combination. Which I assume any sort of combiner for RID15 is next to impossible given the limited size class.
I think it's really unlikely that's going to tie into the Generations combiner theme in any way, they probably just still had the trademark on the name. But hopefully it means we'll get a better-looking Prime figure later in the line.

Rhyno posted:

I think the faceplate one was going to be the TRU two-pack with Classics Prime but then that ended up using the normal head, and the only place the faceplate mold has been released so far was as a Japanese exclusive.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Knormal posted:

I think it's really unlikely that's going to tie into the Generations combiner theme in any way, they probably just still had the trademark on the name. But hopefully it means we'll get a better-looking Prime figure later in the line.

I think the faceplate one was going to be the TRU two-pack with Classics Prime but then that ended up using the normal head, and the only place the faceplate mold has been released so far was as a Japanese exclusive.

Ah poo poo, that's the one I wanted. But I like the mold enough to drop $20 on it so I guess I'll buy the standard one.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Rhyno posted:

Hey Xeno, Slog is cheaper on Amazon right now
http://www.amazon.com/Transformers-...s+voyager+class
Oh poo poo, nice catch!

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Keldroc posted:

Not gonna lie, if TFC's Hot Spot was better, I might be willing to overlook the rest of the set's flaws, but I just find him kind of repulsive. Maybe we're just expecting too much from a group of emergency vehicles after teams of planes, construction equipment, exotic cars, and war machines? Is that as good as the Protectobots are going to get?

Definitely not. I mean one the First-Aids looks like the RotF twins Ice Cream truck so at least that can improve. The big thing I want out of a Defensor is the ability to have it with only one arm because First Aid isn't there.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
Here's a few images of that "selling AFA graded Transformers for $4000" guy (he is "IAMRATCHET TOYS"):

Buy today, and pay tomorrow, and the next month, and the next month, etc etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

HiriseSoftware posted:

Here's a few images of that "selling AFA graded Transformers for $4000" guy (he is "IAMRATCHET TOYS"):

Buy today, and pay tomorrow, and the next month, and the next month, etc etc.

Some of those things are box only. He is selling AFA graded boxes.