Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
CBeebies is good and objective and they give coverage to green issues (Mr. Bloom's Nursery even features talking vegetables) and international stories and cultures (Tinga Tinga Tales), awareness of your rights in trade and employment (Short Change - is that still on? It was like Watchdog for kids) and have a whole bunch of shows that portray ethnic minorities, girls and disabled kids in a positive light. The rest of the network ought to study it and learn from it to improve all their shows. They made a start with Lizo Mzimba; he was my favourite presenter when he was on Newsround when I was a kid because he didn't talk down to us, and now he's on the proper World Service and he hasn't changed his reporting style at all. :neckbeard:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Stottie Kyek posted:

They made a start with Lizo Mzimba; he was my favourite presenter when he was on Newsround when I was a kid because he didn't talk down to us, and now he's on the proper World Service and he hasn't changed his reporting style at all. :neckbeard:

You just reminded me of this:
http://cambridge.tab.co.uk/2010/03/11/lizo-mzimba-an-apology/

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I'm not a lizo fan and the thing to remember is this: if he were any good he'd still be on the telly.

Plus, I think the net result of not talking down to children is raising the most entitled generation the world has ever seen. If you're too old for newsround, watch the proper news later on. Why this obsession with ensuring children are properly catered for? They're children, they shouldn't be watching TV anyway!

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Stottie Kyek posted:

They made a start with Lizo Mzimba; he was my favourite presenter when he was on Newsround when I was a kid because he didn't talk down to us, and now he's on the proper World Service and he hasn't changed his reporting style at all. :neckbeard:

John Craven didn't talk down to children, neither did Krishnan Gurumurthy iirc. Newsround was always amazing for the way it covered even terrible stories in a way that children could understand.

John Craven is one of the presenters that a Yewtree revelation would destroy a lot of my childhood memories. I met him at London Zoo way back when I was around 7 or 8 and still have the photo of him with his arm around me.... Oh god.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Burqa King posted:

Why this obsession with ensuring children are properly catered for? They're children, they shouldn't be watching TV anyway!

Educate, Inform and Entertain.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I am!

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

You're the AntiReith.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

HortonNash posted:

John Craven didn't talk down to children, neither did Krishnan Gurumurthy iirc. Newsround was always amazing for the way it covered even terrible stories in a way that children could understand.

John Craven is one of the presenters that a Yewtree revelation would destroy a lot of my childhood memories. I met him at London Zoo way back when I was around 7 or 8 and still have the photo of him with his arm around me.... Oh god.

No doubt many "witty" variations of Country PAEDOfile have been prepared just in case.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

HortonNash posted:

That's a top class celeb encounter. So when were you released into the wild?

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Burqa King posted:

That's a top class celeb encounter. So when were you released into the wild?

Old enough to have fond memories of a broom closet and be terrified of Mr Bronsan.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun
Hardtalk is pretty good (especially when Zainab Badawi is on it, she's like Paxman but she's disarmingly polite and often gets some very interesting answers out of the interviewees) and Panorama does a lot of good investigative journalism when it's not just talking heads, and BBC4 has a lot of good science and modern history shows. The best BBC shows are on late at night, on BBC4 or on the World Service, the main two channels aren't usually much good.

edit:

HortonNash posted:

I did not know Krishnan started on Newsround, good lord. He's great, I liked his interviews of Esther McVey and the A4e people.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
The biggest PR problem the Greens have is that the affluent privately educated people who get to be journalists think most working class people are chavs/UKIP voters and so they genuinely thought they were being fair and reasonable by giving Farage all that attention over the past few years. Greens issues are just not something Journalists think the working class care about, their equality policies are again considered a middle class issue.

As Stewart Lee has highlighted, people like Red Robbo have been purged from the popular consciousness and media landscape. Politics have been professionalised and only the middle class on up can hold progressive views.

See also the concept of "Serious people".

Edit:

Stottie Kyek posted:

I did not know Krishnan started on Newsround, good lord. He's great, I liked his interviews of Esther McVey and the A4e people.

McVey got her start on How Do They Do That of course. The BBC giveth and the BBC taketh away.

ReV VAdAUL fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 27, 2014

gorki
Aug 9, 2014
Channel 4 Dispatches tonight is on Universal Credit, if anyone else is interested. It will be on our television sets at 8pm

ugh they have called the episode Benefits Britain :effort:

gorki fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 27, 2014

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Sounds good. I can't make it but if someone can précis it I will read it tomorrow

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Nick Robinson. That's really all you should have to say to anyone who defends the BBC's post-Hutton political coverage.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
What's wrong with Nick Robinson? Also did anyone see that common beardy bloke off the telly put his hand in Evan Davies's thigh over 9000 times on newsnight last week? That was hard to watch

Margaret Thatcher
Jan 2, 2013

by Cowcaster

Burqa King posted:

What's wrong with Nick Robinson? Also did anyone see that common beardy bloke off the telly put his hand in Evan Davies's thigh over 9000 times on newsnight last week? That was hard to watch

What's wrong with him? He's a Tory.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Burqa King posted:

What's wrong with Nick Robinson?

He was head of the Young Conservatives at Oxford.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
He's also rumoured to be a big fan of Nigel Farage.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
He was [?]Chairman of the Young Conservatives at uni iirc.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
Politics is great: the greens are so non-existent in Canterbury that they asked one of my hippy friends to run in 2015.

She referred them to me.

Anyone else fancy it? I'm obviously not as ridiculously aggressive in person as I pretend to be online but I'm still not the best choice to represent a party in public if they like getting their money back in white people mecca.

Alertrelic
Apr 18, 2008

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/johann-lamont-quits-gordon-brown-4518919

Looks like the Scottish Labour leadership election will probably be straight left v right, Neil Findlay and Jim Murphy.

We might actually see some principled, effective opposition from Labour.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
So what's the over/under on Findlay actually becoming leader? He does seem to be a bit less than completely afraid of doing anything left-wing so surely he won't have a lot of friends high up in the party.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Angepain posted:

So what's the over/under on Findlay actually becoming leader? He does seem to be a bit less than completely afraid of doing anything left-wing so surely he won't have a lot of friends high up in the party.

The unions like him and against Murphy that means he probably has 1/3rd of the electoral college votes already.

The problem will be that like Keiza he is an 2011 accidental list MSP, and he has said some things which will not gel with Labour's 2015 strategy. The last Scottish Labour leader to actively go against the marching orders of London was Wendy Alexander and that ended brilliantly for her.

If he gets in over Murphy and tries to operate like Lamont did then he'll be sidelined in the same way. If he is smart then he will repeat what Murdo Fraser did for the Scottish Tory leadership election, and run on a leadership platform that the party should become functionally separate.

twoot fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 27, 2014

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

With what's come out about Lamont being held back by Milliband, seems like it doesn't actually matter which one wins.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Heard talk from Labourites today about rallying round Findlay as the "Holyrood" candidate to resist an MP taking it.
Also a lot of the rank and file membership really bloody hate Murphy. I don't really know much about Findlay though.

I've been asked to run a few times for things, which I find utterly hilarious and have usually laughed in the faces of those offering. Not to rule it out forever, but at my age, I should not be representing anything remotely serious (also I have zero interest in being at Westminster, it's all about Holyrood :))

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

BisonDollah posted:

The BBC are horrific, I hate them with a passion. Green Party who are next to a box in the UK general election, I meant, btw. Thanks for the correction, you big beast you.

What the Green Party needs is a PR campaign funded by some Euro Millions winners. I can't believe there's actually a conversation going on (generally speaking, not just in this thread) right now just about the Tories & Labour for the general election - in this day and age, for gently caress's sake. Green's should have been primed to leap in once the LibDems (RIP) became part of a coalition.

Perhaps I've just been left bitter and jaded by the current state of politics, but having read through the green party manifesto it comes across as a wishlist of ways to fix various things without any practical idea of how they are going to do it. Assuming they don't do a LibDem and abandon all their promises the second they sniff a shred of power.

Plus a lot of there stuff comes across as frankly ill considered, such as :

Banning causing any harm to animals in research and testing - I personally completely oppose animal testing for the purposes of cosmetics and alike, but all research? Animal testing is a vital part of medical science, and jeopardising potentially life saving research for the same of some animals is frankly bollocks.

Prohibiting new car parks on new retail developments except for the disabled. - Thats a brilliant idea, have a nice new retail development with nowhere to park for 90% of people. If people can't park their cars, they won't go there, which means they won't be spending their money in these shiny new retail places.

Phasing out nuclear power - We are already worried about not having enough power in the future at peak times with our current level of power generation, and everyone seems onboard with renewables until NIMBYism inevitably strikes. More anti nuclear hysteria by the looks of it.

Bringing back the fuel duty escalator to discourage use of fossil fuels and increase fuel price - gently caress right off. We already pay more for fuel than anyone else in Europe, it doesn't need to go up more.

Reduce the speed limit on motorways to 55mph to make them safer - Uh what? Motorways are already the safest roads in the UK, they're nice, big and wide, and everyone is going in the same direction. I would even go so far as to say you could increase the speed limit to 80mph with no issues whatsoever.

I know its a bit of a hodge podge of the stuff I've picked out, but I just can't see the every day person looking at stuff like that and thinking "yeah, that all sounds like a brilliant idea!". They're just completely unelectable.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
That speed limit one is really bad wow

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Ludicro posted:

Perhaps I've just been left bitter and jaded by the current state of politics, but having read through the green party manifesto it comes across as a wishlist of ways to fix various things without any practical idea of how they are going to do it. Assuming they don't do a LibDem and abandon all their promises the second they sniff a shred of power.

Banning causing any harm to animals in research and testing - I personally completely oppose animal testing for the purposes of cosmetics and alike, but all research? Animal testing is a vital part of medical science, and jeopardising potentially life saving research for the same of some animals is frankly bollocks.

Prohibiting new car parks on new retail developments except for the disabled. - Thats a brilliant idea, have a nice new retail development with nowhere to park for 90% of people. If people can't park their cars, they won't go there, which means they won't be spending their money in these shiny new retail places.

Phasing out nuclear power - We are already worried about not having enough power in the future at peak times with our current level of power generation, and everyone seems onboard with renewables until NIMBYism inevitably strikes. More anti nuclear hysteria by the looks of it.

Bringing back the fuel duty escalator to discourage use of fossil fuels and increase fuel price - gently caress right off. We already pay more for fuel than anyone else in Europe, it doesn't need to go up more.

Reduce the speed limit on motorways to 55mph to make them safer - Uh what? Motorways are already the safest roads in the UK, they're nice, big and wide, and everyone is going in the same direction. I would even go so far as to say you could increase the speed limit to 80mph with no issues whatsoever.

I know its a bit of a hodge podge of the stuff I've picked out, but I just can't see the every day person looking at stuff like that and thinking "yeah, that all sounds like a brilliant idea!". They're just completely unelectable.

I've posted it before but...
The animal rights stuff is downright kicking the sick and disabled. They want a ban on xenotransplantation (okay to eat pigs, but don't try to use their heart valves to cure the sick!) and research using animals, so thats the end of the British biotech industry (one of our biggest industries), then?

The Greens never have to worry about being in power, so they can offer their middle class target demographic pretty much anything.

The anti-nuclear, anti-GMO stuff are points of faith for them, fundamental not based on evidence. Even Friends of the Earth have revised their nuclear policy in light of global climate change.

I hadn't seen the 55mph thing before though, that's just precious.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Ludicro posted:

Can I get a link to that, I've never heard of some of those policies before.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I'd take all of those over "Lets starve the poor and give tax cuts to the rich" any day.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Stottie Kyek posted:

Conveniance link for the a4e boss interview. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NWXatbUSzI. The youtube comments are in good form, pretty much every one is a variation on 'lying thieving oval office' although the one that says 'She is 1 lying frog looking bent eyed oval office' is a bit harsh, I think she's very pretty.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

ThomasPaine posted:

Can I get a link to that, I've never heard of some of those policies before.

http://www.greenparty.org.uk/assets/files/resources/Manifesto_web_file.pdf

I've just noticed its the 2010 manifesto, but the only other one I can find is their 2014 European Manifesto.

Gonzo McFee posted:

I'd take all of those over "Lets starve the poor and give tax cuts to the rich" any day.

I'd rather have a party that has fair policies based on common sense, but thats as likely as the Greens getting into power.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Ludicro posted:

http://www.greenparty.org.uk/assets/files/resources/Manifesto_web_file.pdf

I've just noticed its the 2010 manifesto, but the only other one I can find is their 2014 European Manifesto.

I'd rather have a party that has fair policies based on common sense, but thats as likely as the Greens getting into power.

Yeah, politics is always about the least worst candidate. I disagree with the Greens on a lot less than I disagree with the rest.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Nah, gently caress common sense. Common sense is almost always a way of saying "Don't tell me I'm wrong or ask for evidence, I'm right because that's the consensus among people who also don't want to give evidence."

We could get a society based on evidence but that almost always flies in the face of common sense.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

HortonNash posted:

I hadn't seen the 55mph thing before though, that's just precious.
It's more likely a fuel efficiency thing than a safety issue. It would only ever appeal to urban idiots who never have to drive anywhere (and possibly my dad). The same could broadly be said for the other policies, it's the hippy equivalent of FYGM.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Those policies are loving the poor to a much greater extent anyway. I guess sick rich people are also hosed so it works out a bit?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gonzo McFee posted:

Nah, gently caress common sense. Common sense is almost always a way of saying "Don't tell me I'm wrong or ask for evidence, I'm right because that's the consensus among people who also don't want to give evidence."

We could get a society based on evidence but that almost always flies in the face of common sense.
I always think of this whenever I hear an appeal to common sense.
http://freethoughtblogs.com/crommunist/2011/10/04/another-victory-of-evidence-over-common-sense-in-canada/

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Ludicro posted:

For instance, the only hints we have that GSK's Ebola vaccine might work in people (for now, at least) is that it seems to have worked in other primates. Ditto Zmapp; almost all the evidence for its efficacy comes from studies in rhesus macaques (the number of humans who've received it is way too small for us to have any definitive idea whether it works in people).

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Ludicro posted:

Do you have any evidence for that, though? Reducing the speed limit would increase the time available to react to something unexpected and greatly reduce the amount of energy involved in a collision. In other words there are good, intuitive reasons to think it would make motorways safer. You can argue that it isn't worth the trade-off, but that's a different claim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
You could probably raise it to 80 with no problem because a huge amount of cars are already going 80 anyway.

• Locked thread