Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

flosofl posted:

That's what the DnD status is for. It's basically a big gently caress off to anyone who wants to IM me.(I *think* users are prompted with a "are you *sure* you want to bug him? He does have DnD on...") I set that regularly when I'm doing project work, design reviews, etc. and it works fairly well. Every now and then, however:

I loving can't stand the conversations starting with a "Hi" followed by silence. Other than that, I'd rather have somebody IM me than email, it saves me from adding the "Hello X / Kind Regards" bullshit, and it's much easier to extend a conversation if poo poo turns out to be more complex than originally thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I rarely do the whole Hi/Regards stuff in email. With coworkers I treat email as glorified, less intrusive IMs.

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer

peak debt posted:

I loving can't stand the conversations starting with a "Hi" followed by silence. Other than that, I'd rather have somebody IM me than email, it saves me from adding the "Hello X / Kind Regards" bullshit, and it's much easier to extend a conversation if poo poo turns out to be more complex than originally thought.

I dont get how you could do the "Hi." [waits] thing multiple times without realizing that its basically an invitation to play message tag

Why are some people incapable of communicating a problem in anything but realtime

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Why are Monday tickets always filled with idiocy?

:downs: Hey, can you tell us which large touch screen monitor we should buy?
:geno: Buy %GoodOne%.
:downs: We bought this %NotGoodOne%.
:saddowns: This touch screen is rubbish. Why did you tell us to get that?
:geno: :fuckoff:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I am the only one in my department who has the guts to say "I will not help you via Lync, send an email to helpdesk@company.com" when someone tries to contact me on Lync. All my coworkers are crying to our manager because they are constantly flooded with Lync chat windows, and they don't know how to say "no".

Also, repeat offenders get blocked.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I like Lync. I don't like the client. The next version should be a lot better but that's all I can say.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I wish Microsoft would poo poo or get off the pot with regards to their plans for the Office suite on the Mac. At least if they come out and say publicly "we don't give a poo poo, it is always going to be awful" then we won't have customers constantly expecting it to work for them.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Maybe some office color themes other than White, kinda white, and grey white. Kills my drat eyes.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Jeoh posted:

The next version should be a lot better but that's all I can say.

Tech Marketing 101

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Galler posted:

Sounds like the perfect chat system.

I was going to say..

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

peak debt posted:

That is one of the single most infuriating IM habits ever. Holy poo poo. Open a conversation with at least a brief blurb about what you want so I can ascertain whether it's important enough to stop what I'm doing at the moment or I just need to ask you to wait and I'll get back with you when I have time. Jesus christ.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Kyrosiris posted:

That is one of the single most infuriating IM habits ever. Holy poo poo. Open a conversation with at least a brief blurb about what you want so I can ascertain whether it's important enough to stop what I'm doing at the moment or I just need to ask you to wait and I'll get back with you when I have time. Jesus christ.
Whoa, I think you're getting a little bent out of shape there. If they don't include any information, just ignore it; wait until there's some substance to respond to. No need to freak the gently caress out about it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

nexxai posted:

Whoa, I think you're getting a little bent out of shape there. If they don't include any information, just ignore it; wait until there's some substance to respond to. No need to freak the gently caress out about it.

What, is annoyed hyperbole no longer allowed in the thread or something? :v: It's really just annoying because with the people that do it, if you ignore them, you just go into a repeated pattern of "hi" "hello" "hi?" "you there?" and it's like "yes, I'm here but I'm busy, what do you want?".

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Kyrosiris posted:

What, is annoyed hyperbole no longer allowed in the thread or something? :v: It's really just annoying because with the people that do it, if you ignore them, you just go into a repeated pattern of "hi" "hello" "hi?" "you there?" and it's like "yes, I'm here but I'm busy, what do you want?".
"I thought that since you weren't asking a question, you were just saying hi. Next time, you can feel free to jump right to your issue."

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

nexxai posted:

"I thought that since you weren't asking a question, you were just saying hi. Next time, you can feel free to jump right to your issue."

Yeah, and you only have to tell this to each and every user in your entire company ten times before they continue to operate exactly how they always have. Not annoying at all.

nthalp posted:

Maybe some office color themes other than White, kinda white, and grey white. Kills my drat eyes.

Feel free to blame Windows 8 and the associated marketing for this, too. The party line is "We want our users to have a consistent User eXperience across our entire product line," which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing if that experience wasn't designed for the lowest common denominator of screen size, memory and power, making it all look like poo poo from the early 90's.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

I think someone is having FFXIV downtime anxiety :gitgud:

I do send people a good morning and wait for them to reply, mostly because with Lync people can be basically asleep at their desks and a bunch of geriatric devs at my company check IM's like twice a day. To the people I know, the issues come upfront trailing a "good morning"/guten abend in the same IM.

Someone who says hi like 3 times because they're impatient, can :fuckoff: . So I'd agree on that one.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

good jovi posted:

We have an xmpp server locally and nobody has any complaints, but we just started using slack and are really digging it. And I just noticed that I'm basically parroting their marketing copy, but it's not bad. To be honest, I think we're just using it because it inlines gifs, but I'm ok with that.

We appear to be moving to Slack explicitly because it allows for IRC connections, and all of our hard-tech guys are using the company-internal IRC already. Getting Admin/HR into it has been a battle that's been over for years, though.

To be honest I can't blame them, because I can't expect everyone to be like "yeah sure let me ssh into this backdoor system to connect to my work linux machine's screen session and attach to irssi to check if anyone messaged me", but given how much work some people on the dev side are putting into getting ZNC set up for everyone who doesn't have a persistent connection, the full-on Slack approach seems like it's a waste of time.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Kyrosiris posted:

I realized I was doing this to a friend of mine on Facebook thanks to these posts.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Kyrosiris posted:

Asking to ask is asking for an axing.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

I realized I was doing this to a friend of mine on Facebook thanks to these posts.

I just jump right in to what i want, usually with a "sorry if I woke you up" for people in weird timezones / weird shift times that happen to have facebook messenger / google talk set to make noises on their phone

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Che Delilas posted:

Feel free to blame Windows 8 and the associated marketing for this, too. The party line is "We want our users to have a consistent User eXperience across our entire product line," which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing if that experience wasn't designed for the lowest common denominator of screen size, memory and power, making it all look like poo poo from the early 90's.
I'd prefer a bunch of shades of white to Win 8's Mixed-Berry Skittles color scheme.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Background: the company I own is taking over the IT responsibilities for a second company that currently has their IT managed by a third.

I ask the controller to send out a meeting request to us and the old IT company so we can sit down and ask any questions prior to switchover date, and so that we can all reply and coordinate our schedules.

I receive this in my email:

quote:

Can we please set up a meeting with someone from <old IT company> to meet with our new IT person as soon as possible. Thank you.

Not quite what I meant.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
So we've got a fiber run between two buildings out in our LA location, about 1200 feet. We're shutting down the LA office and the powers that be wanted to know if we could pull it and re-use it. My answer was no as we had no need for fiber in the MD office and it's structured cabling and should just be left.

I got told today that our parent company is doing a build out and wants us to pull the cable so they can use it! I could be wrong but my knowledge of building cable is that you should not pull it and re-use it, especially with fiber. But hey, their word is law so I'll voice my concerns and let them do what they want.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The costs in running cabling isn't in the cable, it's the installation labour and the bits that go on the ends. The labour costs to pull a cable out and install it somewhere else and then redo the ends will cost a lot more than a new cable.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

pr0digal posted:

So we've got a fiber run between two buildings out in our LA location, about 1200 feet. We're shutting down the LA office and the powers that be wanted to know if we could pull it and re-use it. My answer was no as we had no need for fiber in the MD office and it's structured cabling and should just be left.

I got told today that our parent company is doing a build out and wants us to pull the cable so they can use it! I could be wrong but my knowledge of building cable is that you should not pull it and re-use it, especially with fiber. But hey, their word is law so I'll voice my concerns and let them do what they want.

I do not see that ending well. Bend that poo poo wrong and shatter.

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer
My favorite part about fiber optic cable is that junkies hear that fiber is advanced and expensive to work with so they steal it even though the cable is basically worthless

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Thanks Ants posted:

The costs in running cabling isn't in the cable, it's the installation labour and the bits that go on the ends. The labour costs to pull a cable out and install it somewhere else and then redo the ends will cost a lot more than a new cable.

And it's in a studio lot so it's around 50 feet in the air. They'd have to rent a cherry picker to get it down.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

pr0digal posted:

We delivered a project late because we were moving a cab and the facilities manager said the fibre runs past future location so you can just snip and re terminate

We said no just give us a new fibre but they insisted

When they went to do it for us they found the fibre didn't go the route they expected at all which hosed everything up... At least we had CYA emails...

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

tehloki posted:

My favorite part about fiber optic cable is that junkies hear that fiber is advanced and expensive to work with so they steal it even though the cable is basically worthless

I was talking with some Arris contractors who were helping an ISP roll out to a new region somewhere in Florida. It was a fresh install with all field equipment laid out months in advance. And within weeks of this ISP going live, a huge portion of the plant shorted out.

What they found was that those months where the plant was sitting there dark, people were stealing the copper grounding cables out of all of the power supplies. Every time there was a thunderstorm, everything got fried. Millions in damaged equipment.

Right now we're trying to deal with someone who keeps stealing mini-bridgers right off our lines. My boss also told me about a time when he was working in the field about how he had to stake out across the street of an RF node for days because someone kept stealing the entire node.

It's completely insane to me how people will straight up steal poo poo right off the cable lines. I wasn't aware any of it had any street value past scrap copper, but nodes and mini bridgers don't have any.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

Jeoh posted:

I like Lync. I don't like the client. The next version should be a lot better but that's all I can say.

That's why I use Pidgin with the Office Communicator plug-in. It's a bit flaky (the calendar integration works maybe half the time and the other half it just sets your status to something random for no particular reason, and the status of your buddies doesn't always update properly so that they look like they're online when they're really logged out), but it's still a thousand times better than the actual Lync client. Plus it has message logging, so I easily can find that random ticket/server/topic I discussed with X three weeks ago.

Obviously it doesn't support any of the advanced Lync crap like file transfers and desktop sharing and images and such, but frankly, that's a plus. :v:

forestboy
Aug 30, 2005

Renegret posted:

I wasn't aware any of it had any street value past scrap copper, but nodes and mini bridgers don't have any.

The housings are aluminum, still worth money at a recycler.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
A ticket came in...someone had to replace a hard drive in their RAID 1 and now their system won't boot.

Turns out the new guy taking over for them is having to deal with the previous admin's setup. Even though the server has a RAID controller, the previous admin did a Software RAID 1 using mdadm (yes, Linux). You have to set it up manually if you want to be able to boot off of either by itself including writting to the MBR. Well, previous admin didn't do that, disk 0 with the MBR with boot info is the failed drive, and system won't boot without the failed drive in the system...

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Renegret posted:

I was talking with some Arris contractors who were helping an ISP roll out to a new region somewhere in Florida. It was a fresh install with all field equipment laid out months in advance. And within weeks of this ISP going live, a huge portion of the plant shorted out.

What they found was that those months where the plant was sitting there dark, people were stealing the copper grounding cables out of all of the power supplies. Every time there was a thunderstorm, everything got fried. Millions in damaged equipment.

Right now we're trying to deal with someone who keeps stealing mini-bridgers right off our lines. My boss also told me about a time when he was working in the field about how he had to stake out across the street of an RF node for days because someone kept stealing the entire node.

It's completely insane to me how people will straight up steal poo poo right off the cable lines. I wasn't aware any of it had any street value past scrap copper, but nodes and mini bridgers don't have any.

Trains are regularly delayed here because some very brave/stupid people stole the powerline. I guess the fact they'll kill you dead isn't enough of a deterrent.

MrBling fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Oct 28, 2014

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?
Just had a request for a Windows 95 machine. Apparently a customer has a program that they need us to run for them that won't work on anything Windows 98+. :psyduck:

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

So about 10% of our users have been unable to connect to exchange for over 6 weeks and it keeps growing. I'm just one of the helpdesk grunts so I know I'm a little over my head troubleshooting it but I'm pretty sure the guys working on this are idiots. The issue is obviously tied to certain IP addresses, if a user is on the VPN they can connect fine, we've troubleshooted with network and if they disabled the riverbed device everyone connected fine, but they keep insisting that the issue is with Microsoft who hosts our exchange servers. It's been really fun explaining to users for 6 weeks why email is hosed to poo poo.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Seravadon posted:

Just had a request for a Windows 95 machine. Apparently a customer has a program that they need us to run for them that won't work on anything Windows 98+. :psyduck:

Sounds like a job for VMWare.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

Entropic posted:

Sounds like a job for VMWare.

The saddest part is it took a very very short amount of time before we found two machines in the building that still had Windows 95 on them. One is still used in production. :sigh:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
gently caress Cryptolocker.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Seravadon posted:

I am guessing that it's something so lovely that no shim exists to allow you to use in compatibility mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

nthalp posted:

gently caress Cryptolocker.

Did you have everything backed up externally?

Nope?

Well best start torrenting all that music again.

• Locked thread