Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
AV Club did an article on rejected Oscar bait a little while back - could try searching based on those

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

radlum posted:

I think one of the podcast did Tiptoes, the "Gary Oldman is a small person" movie. It's a terrible movie

How did this get made did it and it was a glorious episode.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I just thought of another good recommendation for WHM's animation damnation.

The Captain Planet episode where a black family get graphically murdered.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Vakal posted:

I just thought of another good recommendation for WHM's animation damnation.

The Captain Planet episode where a black family get graphically murdered.

"He'd been supplying the spraypaint, guns, and finally, laser blasters to the gangs."

You can pick actually a few Captain Planet episodes to basically hear an old white guy say the blacks are noble savages when they stay in Africa but are fuckin animals when they come to the first world nations, but it's a special one to make the jump from 'their so called tags' to laser rampages.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I love that the "so called" tags are just literal scribbles with almost no end. Because that's exactly what tagging is, just flailing your arm around with a spray paint can as you walk for a quarter mile or so.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

weekly font posted:

For the longest time I didn't understand how people couldn't tell voices apart but I started listening to Flophouse and can't tell Dan/Stuart apart. I also can't tell the Alcohollywood guys apart.

I can tell Clint and Jared apart just fine, but it's not always easy to tell people apart from just a voice if they have the same accent and have roughly the same voice pitch, hence why it's difficult for some to tell the WHM guys apart (and I will admit I tend not to worry about who's saying what during the podcast - although they do tend to refer to each other by name frequently enough during the podcast, so I never find myself getting confused.) It's similar to the telephone effect - when you hear someone on a phone and often even if you know them, they sound different/odd when you're just hearing their voice. This is probably the reason why people often think I'm my mother or my brother when I answer the home phone, even though we really don't have the same voices.

bobkatt013 posted:

I really should have called in and ask for Mac and Me or Tiptoes. Maybe next time.

personally, I think those choices are too obvious. Although I will admit that they both sound like movies that seem like they need to be seen to be believed, but Mac and Me is so notorious that it may well be in the "we'll never review this" bucket for WHM, along with Troll 2 and The Room.
Predictably, I called in with The Watcher, and with Windows, because the first one is amazingly funny and the second one is awful, mean-spirited and hideously boring.

BigRed0427 posted:

I just thought of a bad movie category I don't hear enough about. Bad Dramas that are obviously fishing for an Oscar. Have the WHM guys or anyone else ever cover those kind of movies?

In my mind, bad dramas are some of the best bad movies, because they very frequently become amazing comedies. Bad comedies, on the other hand, are excruciating blocks of unfunny pain, and there's frequently very little you can say about them other than "this isn't funny. This is offensive. this isn't funny. This isn't funny!" I have a review show and I've reviewed more than a couple of bad dramas, and they're usually very fulfilling to make fun of and frequently have premises that inspire laughter just in their own right, such as Rpattz as Gay Salvador Dali, or Oliver Twist but they're all gay prostitutes
Ones that are oscar bait that don't work out so well also frequently feature laughably melodramatic acting and plot lines, obnoxious sweeping music and heavy handed themes, all of which are ripe for parody. Also, bad dramas are often bad in ways one wouldn't even anticipate.

I would love to see more bad dramas on WHM, as I love it when they do lifetime movies or erotic thrillers, which are the closest they usually get to bad drama. On the other hand, I skip several of the episodes on horror, as I have little interest in horror movies, and find they don't tend to result in particularly notable or amusing episodes.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

I don't know if it's actually considered a good movie or not, but I'd kill to hear WHM's take on the "preteens save up to buy a prostitute for the express purpose to seeing her boobs" dramedy Milk Money.

fingerpaint
Jan 9, 2014

The Duke posted:

I don't know if it's actually considered a good movie or not, but I'd kill to hear WHM's take on the "preteens save up to buy a prostitute for the express purpose to seeing her boobs" dramedy Milk Money.

I listened to the Blame it on Rio episode last night. We don't need more light comedies with pedophilia undertones.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
I haven't seen Blame it on Rio yet but just going by the WHM's guys description, it sounded more creepy and disturbing than any of the horror movie that they covered in this year's spooktacular.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Infamous Sphere posted:

I can tell Clint and Jared apart just fine, but it's not always easy to tell people apart from just a voice if they have the same accent and have roughly the same voice pitch, hence why it's difficult for some to tell the WHM guys apart (and I will admit I tend not to worry about who's saying what during the podcast - although they do tend to refer to each other by name frequently enough during the podcast, so I never find myself getting confused.) It's similar to the telephone effect - when you hear someone on a phone and often even if you know them, they sound different/odd when you're just hearing their voice. This is probably the reason why people often think I'm my mother or my brother when I answer the home phone, even though we really don't have the same voices.

personally, I think those choices are too obvious. Although I will admit that they both sound like movies that seem like they need to be seen to be believed, but Mac and Me is so notorious that it may well be in the "we'll never review this" bucket for WHM, along with Troll 2 and The Room.
Predictably, I called in with The Watcher, and with Windows, because the first one is amazingly funny and the second one is awful, mean-spirited and hideously boring.

In my mind, bad dramas are some of the best bad movies, because they very frequently become amazing comedies. Bad comedies, on the other hand, are excruciating blocks of unfunny pain, and there's frequently very little you can say about them other than "this isn't funny. This is offensive. this isn't funny. This isn't funny!" I have a review show and I've reviewed more than a couple of bad dramas, and they're usually very fulfilling to make fun of and frequently have premises that inspire laughter just in their own right, such as Rpattz as Gay Salvador Dali, or Oliver Twist but they're all gay prostitutes
Ones that are oscar bait that don't work out so well also frequently feature laughably melodramatic acting and plot lines, obnoxious sweeping music and heavy handed themes, all of which are ripe for parody. Also, bad dramas are often bad in ways one wouldn't even anticipate.

I would love to see more bad dramas on WHM, as I love it when they do lifetime movies or erotic thrillers, which are the closest they usually get to bad drama. On the other hand, I skip several of the episodes on horror, as I have little interest in horror movies, and find they don't tend to result in particularly notable or amusing episodes.

Twist is a bad movie, but to be honest all it does it take existing subtext and make it hammer over the head text. It's lazy and unsubtle, but I don't think it's inherently laughable.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

davidHalestorm posted:

I haven't seen Blame it on Rio yet but just going by the WHM's guys description, it sounded more creepy and disturbing than any of the horror movie that they covered in this year's spooktacular.

I've seen Blame it on Rio. It is just as horrifying as they depicted.

Also, I think We Hate Movies picked my suggestion for next week! :dance:

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

The Modern Leper posted:

Twist is a bad movie, but to be honest all it does it take existing subtext and make it hammer over the head text. It's lazy and unsubtle, but I don't think it's inherently laughable.

Yeah, to be honest it wasn't the best example - most of the bad dramas I watch don't necessarily sound that stupid when I summarise them. I actually kind of liked Twist, even though it wasn't the most competently made movie and the acting was sketchy. Here's my (rather longwinded) thoughts on the entire thing.

In more podcast related news, I recently listened to the I Still Know What You Did Last Summer ep of WHM, and began to see a connection between The Hooker and The Raincoat Killer of Deadly Premonition (I doubt one directly inspired the other but any reminder of the weird hilarity and surprisingly lasting atmosphere of Deadly Premonition is a good one.)

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Well, the Monkey Shines episode is a great episode of HDTGM if you want to hear June maybe going completely insane towards the end.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

So I put in my request for Animation Domination, an episode of Spiderman 66, in which Spider-man makes a working motor boat with his webs. The whole show is ridiculous and amazing at the same time.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The Senator Giroux posted:

Well, the Monkey Shines episode is a great episode of HDTGM if you want to hear June maybe going completely insane towards the end.

I just came to post this. I find myself laughing really hard at whatever dumb poo poo spews from June and Jason calls her out on in the last few episodes.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

weekly font posted:

I just came to post this. I find myself laughing really hard at whatever dumb poo poo spews from June and Jason calls her out on in the last few episodes.

I like how it's become such a thing with June that as soon as it sounds like she's going to start talking about her theory about the plot/characters/whatever, everyone gets real quiet because they know there's going to be some serious magic coming from Junes mouth.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I like how it's become such a thing with June that as soon as it sounds like she's going to start talking about her theory about the plot/characters/whatever, everyone gets real quiet because they know there's going to be some serious magic coming from Junes mouth.

I just imagine both Paul and Jason doing the :allears: as they wait for whatever crazy poo poo she thinks to happen.

June is a legitimately funny person but yea her highlights will always be when she just skids wildly off the road into crazytown.

radlum
May 13, 2013

The Senator Giroux posted:

I think I may be going insane as well, I actually understood what she was trying to say. We joke about why is she married to Paul, but the crazier she gets, it starts to make sense.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I always thought June was just kind of playing a character, but nope, she's really completely nuts and I love it. That was one of the more epic rants i've ever heard, and Mantzoukas LOVED every second of it.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

It really bothers me how Steve pronounces scythe.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

There was an episode of WHM I had real trouble listening to because they kept saying capoeira wrong, don't remember which one it was.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

A Meat posted:

There was an episode of WHM I had real trouble listening to because they kept saying capoeira wrong, don't remember which one it was.

That must have been Only the Strong. Because that's like the whole plot.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

A Meat posted:

"capoeida", yeah, I don't think that's how it's pronounced in Portuguese either.

Side note: Steve going "ewwww" will never not be funny.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

radlum posted:

We joke about why is she married to Paul, but the crazier she gets, it starts to make sense.
After the episode where June said that a man should "stand up" to random people on the street saying things to a lady, I realized that June is actually the lucky one.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I wish I had a picture of Paul's face from when June starts getting into things at the end of this week's episode and Jason's trying to puzzle it out. That was insane.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

I UNDERSTOOD the point she was trying to make. It was not a great point and didn't really matter at all, but I got it.

Jason kept trying to help her out with "Well you have one good part, but the bit about casting is absurd" but she refused to back down.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ArtVandelay posted:

I always thought June was just kind of playing a character, but nope, she's really completely nuts and I love it. That was one of the more epic rants i've ever heard, and Mantzoukas LOVED every second of it.

HDTGM: "Let's wrap this up!"

Me: Why are there still nearly thirty minutes left in the episode if they're going to wrap things up?

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

ArtVandelay posted:

I skimmed the Earwolf forum to see more people's reactions to June's argument. I was not disappointed.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

OctoberCountry posted:

I skimmed the Earwolf forum to see more people's reactions to June's argument. I was not disappointed.

This is just beautiful

I also loved Jasons reaction to June in the beginning when she said how much she loved the first hour of the movie. I just kinda love when Jason reacts to June incredulously.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Calaveron posted:

"capoeida", yeah, I don't think that's how it's pronounced in Portuguese either.

Side note: Steve going "ewwww" will never not be funny.

My wife was raised in new york and she said "skith" once and I yelled at her. The fact that Steve says skith and nobody yells at him makes me think it might be a New York thing.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
I guess I understood the basic point of what June was saying, I just have no idea how it related to only one monkey being credited for the performance.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Brocktoon posted:

I guess I understood the basic point of what June was saying, I just have no idea how it related to only one monkey being credited for the performance.

Yeah, that's what was so weird. She basically had two points, one about the monkey being the only one held responsible, and one about personifying animals and treating them as if they were actors when they're more like props. Whether I agree with those or not, I got those. The problem I was having was that I cannot see how those two points are connected, like at all. One has nothing to do with the other, but she seemed to think that the second point made the first point even worse.

Basically, I loved Jason who kind of wouldn't let it go.

Frankenfinger
May 1, 2007
As best as I could figure it, she was leaning heavily into the idea that: Because the monkey was portrayed by 6 monkeys but only credited as one, it could be dangerous to animals(?) because then people would assume one monkey could actually do those kinds of things when in fact it takes many animals. This means the animals are personified more and people begin to treat them with less respect they otherwise would and could result in someone (monkeys - people?!?) being hurt in the process. Which I think tied back into the bears comment.

Jesus I don't know but it was magnificent to behold.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Frankenfinger posted:

As best as I could figure it, she was leaning heavily into the idea that: Because the monkey was portrayed by 6 monkeys but only credited as one, it could be dangerous to animals(?) because then people would assume one monkey could actually do those kinds of things when in fact it takes many animals. This means the animals are personified more and people begin to treat them with less respect they otherwise would and could result in someone (monkeys - people?!?) being hurt in the process. Which I think tied back into the bears comment.

Jesus I don't know but it was magnificent to behold.

This is how I understood it too but that's based of Jason's understanding of it based on the James Bond counterexample. :psyduck:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

As near as I could tell, June was worried that people would see that only one monkey was credited in the role, and would therefore think that a single real-life monkey was capable of doing all those horrible things in real life.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Holy fucken poo poo the rant by June is amazing, and I can not believe the words coming out of her mouth.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
I think she meant it was dangerous like how Jaws got a bunch of sharks killed after it came out, but I don't think anyone's going to go around murdering monkeys because of Monkey Shine. I can actually agree with her more this week than about being a man last week, she just really emphasizes the craziest points of her argument.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Trujillo posted:

I think she meant it was dangerous like how Jaws got a bunch of sharks killed after it came out, but I don't think anyone's going to go around murdering monkeys because of Monkey Shine. I can actually agree with her more this week than about being a man last week, she just really emphasizes the craziest points of her argument.

Right, that's one of her points. But Jaws was also a mechanical shark. Her full point only works if, had the shark been played by 6 real sharks, people wouldn't have reacted that way. But if the shark had been played by one actual shark named Bruce, they would be more likely to react poorly to sharks.

It's two separate points, and I don't see how they're connected.

the Insane Piano
Feb 10, 2011
The fact that six monkeys were used makes it clearer the extent to which the monkey character was an imaginary creation fabricated using special effects, one that bears no resemblance to actual real-life monkeys. Even if the monkey in Monkey Shines was portrayed as a hero instead of a killer, it would still be dangerous because it would contribute to perpetuating a distorted idea of animals that mistakenly judges their actions according to human standards that don't apply to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
June's weirdass rants and theories are definitely reasons 1-4 to listen to HDTGM.

the Insane Piano posted:

The fact that six monkeys were used makes it clearer the extent to which the monkey character was an imaginary creation fabricated using special effects, one that bears no resemblance to actual real-life monkeys. Even if the monkey in Monkey Shines was portrayed as a hero instead of a killer, it would still be dangerous because it would contribute to perpetuating a distorted idea of animals that mistakenly judges their actions according to human standards that don't apply to them.

It's a little more than the Monky Shines monkey bearing no resemblance to actual monkeys. Crediting a single monkey makes it look like a monkey did acting and that the part of Elle was actually a character being portrayed by a singular entity making choices so as to best embody the character. Instead of a group of monkeys doing tricks for treats. It gives monkeys an agency that they lack, which as you said contributes to reflexive personification.

Which ties back into June's bear tangent in that campers attacked by bears engage in actions that are foolhardy by assuming that bears can differentiate between trash and food. Like they were Yogi's institutionalized cousin who just got out of bear jail and wants your pic-a-nic basket. Which is dangerous but in actuality probably owes far more to self centered idiocy of said people than an assumption of intelligence on the behalf of local wildlife by them.