Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

I figured they'd make an Ob Nixilis walker card in Standard, judging by his sudden return/relevance to the plot (if the hints about getting back to Zendikar/Eldrazi are true), but maybe they will anyway seeing as how this one is "pre-demon" Ob Nix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Zero_Grade posted:

I figured they'd make an Ob Nixilis walker card in Standard, judging by his sudden return/relevance to the plot (if the hints about getting back to Zendikar/Eldrazi are true), but maybe they will anyway seeing as how this one is "pre-demon" Ob Nix.

I wouldn't be surprised if he showed up on Tarkir because he has a bone to pick with Sorin because the hedrons were made by his friend The Lithomancer

Demons be crazy like that.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Count Bleck posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if he showed up on Tarkir because he has a bone to pick with Sorin because the hedrons were made by his friend The Lithomancer

Demons be crazy like that.

What's funny is that his armor as a planeswalker resembles his current form, implying he's been sealed within the armor that is now his skin. :gonk:

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I thought Ob Nixilis didn't have his spark anymore and couldn't transform out of his demon form, let alone planeswalk? The Commander one could be an incarnation from the past, much like Teferi (who is still missing and spark-less as far as I know).

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I thought Ob Nixilis didn't have his spark anymore and couldn't transform out of his demon form, let alone planeswalk? The Commander one could be an incarnation from the past, much like Teferi (who is still missing and spark-less as far as I know).

All of the planes walkers will be retro as far as the timeline is concerned. I was hoping for Tevesh Szat, but Ob is cool too.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

That is exactly what it is. The actual sets have some continuity (at least now they do) so you can't have Ob Nixilis PW but supplimental products can do whatever.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Reef Worm is cute, but Freyalise is great! There's a lot of competition for mono-green commanders, but being able to pop out a creature or have a constant threat of Naturalizing something is very powerful.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

BJPaskoff posted:

Reef Worm is cute, but Freyalise is great! There's a lot of competition for mono-green commanders, but being able to pop out a creature or have a constant threat of Naturalizing something is very powerful.

Freyalise was who I thought they'd use for the green retrowalker.

I'm glad I wasn't wrong. She's got some good abilities on her too, and all of them are very green.
Pretty cool.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Reef Worm :allears:

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President
That Reef Worm quote nesting is adorable. And awesome design.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

This card seems made for Riku decks. (if tumblr is hotlinking I can upload on imgur)

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Just show the the Serra planeswalker card already. :f5:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I didn't know Freyalise had an eyepatch. That's rad.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Freyalise is sick.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Entropic posted:

Just show the the Serra planeswalker card already. :f5:

We aren't getting one. We get 3 old walkers, and we've seen them all.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
If you told 13 year old me reading the Magic books that Freyalise would one day have a card, I would have poo poo myself in joy of putting it in my Kamigawa snakes deck.

He's inside going nuts, even though I know I'll never play the card because I hate EDH.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

The Lord of Hats posted:

We aren't getting one. We get 3 old walkers, and we've seen them all.

I thought we were getting one for each of the 5 colors?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

They said the walkers would be 3 known, 1 known but not generally by name, and one new one from an old plane

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

O my... weaving this with Revilliark in my Sac/ETB deck will feel good.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

I guess I'm just old and grumpy but these cards seem fine but not particularly exciting.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Serperoth posted:

This card seems made for Riku decks. (if tumblr is hotlinking I can upload on imgur)

Possibly not a coincidence that it's name is similar to Snapcaster Mage. If copies an enemy spell that hits "all opponents" does it still hit you and not the original caster? Or does it work as the cast copy did as you are the owner of the copy?

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

C-Euro posted:

I didn't know Freyalise had an eyepatch. That's rad.

Yep, she's why Llanowar elves wear those weird goggle/eyepatch things. They believe Freyalise is a deity.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
You own the copy.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I love Reef Worm. It's almost an un-card.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008
Reef Worm + Pandemonium + Sac Outlet

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I love the goofy cone of ability granting template. Mitotic Slime did it before, but whatever.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Reef worm owns, can't wait to hear MaRo whine about how it breaks the color pie and should be green instead :qq:

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Kraus posted:

Reef Worm + Pandemonium + Sac Outlet
It would do work without the sac outlet, just by dealing damage to its self when it enters the battlefield until the kracken. 9 damage and a 9/9 for 4 is pretty good.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Babylon Astronaut posted:

It would do work without the sac outlet, just by dealing damage to its self when it enters the battlefield until the kracken. 9 damage and a 9/9 for 4 is pretty good.

0/1. Can't kill itself when it's first played.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Now announce some reprints!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Man I hope the white or red planeswalker costs less than 5

Dualcaster Mage seems pretty good, actually. Any chance of it getting some legacy play?

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Cernunnos posted:

My bad. They probably thought of that, and making it so you don't have to block it off the bat helps balance it too.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008

Cernunnos posted:

It's probably a 0/1 for that very reason.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

TheKingofSprings posted:

Man I hope the white or red planeswalker costs less than 5

Dualcaster Mage seems pretty good, actually. Any chance of it getting some legacy play?

I really doubt it, what deck wants that effect and isn't just playing a fork? The extra mana can really hurt on a fork.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Elyv posted:

I really doubt it, what deck wants that effect and isn't just playing a fork? The extra mana can really hurt on a fork.

You can tutor for it with imperial recruiter. It's a convenient one of you can tutor up if you want more protection from force of will and have all your combo pieces.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Dualcaster should have been a 2/1 for 1R. :colbert:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Dualcaster Mage is also a 2/2 that wins counter wars in red.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

whydirt posted:

Would have had a better chance at seeing Legacy play with those stats.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

whydirt posted:

I don't understand what they think they are fixing by creating a slightly less broken version of Snapcaster Mage. This is always going to remind red players of how they're not quite as fancy and cool as blue players.

We get that snaps is broken, give us a whole cycle of broken dudes then.

Don't cancel the harvest ball because Tommy the quarterback is drunk, go all in and spike the punch at both ends of the table as an adult chaperone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Bring on the overpowered poo poo Wizards, this is the one real chance to do it

• Locked thread