Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
Ya, over the last 20 years, there's a consistent trend of Zimmer coming up with scores that everyone falls in love with, immediately copies, and drives into the ground. It happened in the late 90s when everyone started doing the Military Zimmer scores, it happened post Dark Knight with everyone doing the percussion strings, and it happened post Inception with everyone doing the horn notes. Whatever Zimmer is doing with Interstellar, there's a good chance it's going to become the new sound for a lot of movies, so if he's indeed going to a more orchestral Jerry Goldsmith sound as that trailer would indicate, it's great news for everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pirate Jet posted:

You're aware that Inception basically invented that trend, right?

Like it's hard to repeat something when you're the first one doing it.

Also the Inception song you're thinking of wasn't by Zimmer, if it was used in the trailer. That one was by Zack Hemsey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpR4p41F8G4

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

bullet3 posted:

Ya, over the last 20 years, there's a consistent trend of Zimmer coming up with scores that everyone falls in love with, immediately copies, and drives into the ground. It happened in the late 90s when everyone started doing the Military Zimmer scores, it happened post Dark Knight with everyone doing the percussion strings, and it happened post Inception with everyone doing the horn notes. Whatever Zimmer is doing with Interstellar, there's a good chance it's going to become the new sound for a lot of movies, so if he's indeed going to a more orchestral Jerry Goldsmith sound as that trailer would indicate, it's great news for everyone.
You beat me on pointing this out though. But he was still guilty of the same thing in Blackhawk Down imho. Maybe my expectations are unreasonably high and I'm expecting a concerto in theme or I'm not perceptive enough to appreciate it. The theme just loops notes with different random instruments thrown in and out on each pass. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-luZXfkZ9k

Some of the weird electronic static and wubs in that soundtrack probably inspired a young Skrillex, too.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I know it's the cesspool of the internet, but holy poo poo this movie gets a lot of haters in Youtube comments. Is that gonna be the opinion of the general movie going public or are these idiots the minority?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

xcore posted:

I know it's the cesspool of the internet, but holy poo poo this movie gets a lot of haters in Youtube comments. Is that gonna be the opinion of the general movie going public or are these idiots the minority?

Why the gently caress would you ever read youtube comments, let alone care about what any of them are saying? Do something better with your life.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

xcore posted:

I've asked a few random people what they felt about the film cuz I wondered the same thing, and the jist of their reactions/impressions weren't very positive. The general vibe seems to be that it's being seen as a sappy feel-good story by those with sci-fi bents, and a boring sci-fi film by those who aren't.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

GonSmithe posted:

Why the gently caress would you ever read youtube comments, let alone care about what any of them are saying? Do something better with your life.

I care in the sense that I am excited about this movie and would like to see it do well. Youtube is full of stupid people, and the majority of the movie ticket buying public are stupid so I was trying to get a sense of public opinion.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

xcore posted:

I care in the sense that I am excited about this movie and would like to see it do well. Youtube is full of stupid people, and the majority of the movie ticket buying public are stupid so I was trying to get a sense of public opinion.

The general public does not post on youtube.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

GonSmithe posted:

The general public does not post on youtube.

Sounds like you read Youtube comments more often than me. Do something better with your life.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

xcore posted:

Sounds like you read Youtube comments more often than me. Do something better with your life.

Look, dude, all I'm sayin' is that if you ask 1000 people if they've posted more than one comment on youtube when they were like 16, 90% of them are going to say no.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

bullet3 posted:

The Rock had a goddamned amazing score.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSL8yceVYdQ

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

xcore posted:

Maybe you don't pay attention to the internet very much (not a bad thing) but the notion that YouTube comments are generally and universally horrible is pretty ubiquitous knowledge.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

bullet3 posted:

To be fair, that's partially Zimmer's own fault since he kept creating the "a bunch of composers in one studio collaborating" system, that results in quite a few crossovers and such.

The rest is directors' faults because Zimmer always gets attached to one of the largest movies of the year and they're like "make my movie sound like that one!"

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

Darko posted:

"make my movie sound like that one!"

BRRAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWn

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Pirate Jet posted:

You're aware that Inception basically invented that trend, right?

Like it's hard to repeat something when you're the first one doing it.

Not to mention the "BUM BUMMMM.... BUM BUMMMM" theme from Inception comes from it being the Edith Piaf song slowed down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVkQ0C4qDvM

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I believe this is the sound everyones talking about?
https://soundcloud.com/8dawn/hybrid-tools-vol-2-mega-horns

The second anyone big comes up with something new these guys are onto it, recreating it, making variations and selling them to other composers/producers.
Basically if someones making music for movies or games, they probably own this - http://8dio.com/instrument-category/hybrid-tools/#instrument/bundle-7-all-hybrid/
It's not a big investment if you're a working producer and get to save weeks/months of recording individual drum hits.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 12, 2014

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

DeusExMachinima posted:

Zero hope here. Zimmer and most other big name composers has been repeating a few max volume horn section notes for almost a decade and calling it a theme song. Inception was like a parody of this trend: BRAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH. *strings hook* BRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH. *strings hook* aaaaaand repeat ad infinitum.

Lol you dumbass.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

Josh Lyman posted:

The Rock had a goddamned amazing score.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSL8yceVYdQ

It sure did. One of my favorite films back in the day, too. I haven't seen it in ages and now I can't help but to wonder if it has stood the test of time.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Arthe Xavier posted:

It sure did. One of my favorite films back in the day, too. I haven't seen it in ages and now I can't help but to wonder if it has stood the test of time.

I just rewatched it and the opener two-fer still gives me the chills. The shower room showdown in the middle and the Mexican standoff near the end, too.

"It has been the greatest honor of my life to serve with you, General."

It doesn't surprise me one bit Nolan is a fan of Michael Bay.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 18, 2014

surfwriter1
Oct 17, 2014

Hi. New here. Anyway, I read the 2008 screenplay before ever seeing the spoilers posted on here. I admit, it was a bit fantastical and really hard to envision as a Christopher Nolan movie (not because it was so far removed from anything we've experienced, but because it seemed to be missing the Chris in the Nolan since it was his brother that wrote the original). Just read the article in Entertainment Weekly:

Chris Nolan officially boarded Interstellar in 2012. He wasn't jealous of everything in his brother's screenplay. "I think the first thing I told him was: 'You realize I'm going to rewrite this, right?" says Nolan. He wanted to reshape the middle section, the exploration of planets. He wanted to play with scale and pit man against monolithic nature. Dust storms. Tidal waves. The spoiler in the last act. He wanted to round out the story's view of moral character with scenarios that depict humankind at its selfless best, selfish worst, and nuanced points in between. "When you take an audience as far away from human experience as possible, you wind up focusing tightly on human nature and how we are connected to each other," Nolan says. "The film tries to be very honest in that appraisal."

And he wanted to change Cooper's child, Murph, from a boy to a girl. "For me, the whole movie is about what it means to be a dad," Nolan says.

So, for those who read the spoilers in the thread or the screenplay itself, I have a feeling that you don't need to worry about knowing too much. The whole sun-kissing fractal life-forms and Chinese ghost town built by robots on autopilot encompasses a HUGE portion of the second act. It always seemed weird, reading that portion of the script, when compared to the feeling of any other Nolan flick I'd seen. There were some things I did notice from the new trailers that were in later sections of the script, though, such as Cooper crying over videos on the monitor, possibly the transmissions from his children that came a couple hundred years too late. That definitely fits with the notions of love and family, however much of the other events from the 2008 draft don't fit thematically into what he's stated. I'm guessing that those events had to change.

Anyway, after seeing the trailers and reading that article, I'm fairly confident that the original draft or spoilers higher in the thread hasn't ruined much for people. Shoot, even something as simple as his occupation is different from engineer to pilot (implied). Looking forward to seeing this flick, definitely.

surfwriter1 fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 19, 2014

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

There were two previews of the film yesterday. One to cinema proprietors in New York, and another to military families at Fort Hood.

Twitter reaction seemed to be positive ("depressing but good" to "BEST MOVIE EVER"). Apart from the crying babies at the military showing.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Hey is there any Chicagoan goons here that know which the best theater to see this in with the 70mm, I cannot find poo poo on it other than the normal release.

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009
I believe the Navy Pier theater is showing it in 70mm IMAX.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hollismason posted:

Hey is there any Chicagoan goons here that know which the best theater to see this in with the 70mm, I cannot find poo poo on it other than the normal release.

Navy Pier and the IMAX out in Lincolnshire. I'm only going to Navy Pier because it opens there Tuesday, as opposed to Friday, but if you have a car, I'd drive out to Lincolnshire to see it, it's so much easier than dealing with Navy Pier.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

Yoshifan823 posted:

Navy Pier and the IMAX out in Lincolnshire. I'm only going to Navy Pier because it opens there Tuesday, as opposed to Friday, but if you have a car, I'd drive out to Lincolnshire to see it, it's so much easier than dealing with Navy Pier.

isnt the navy pier one an omnimax as well?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Bolek posted:

isnt the navy pier one an omnimax as well?

No, it's a regular screen. The Omnimax is at the Museum of Science and Industry.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah Navy Pier it is I don't have a car, unless i could take the Metra out there.

Evil Trout
Nov 16, 2004

The evilest trout of them all

twoot posted:

There were two previews of the film yesterday. One to cinema proprietors in New York, and another to military families at Fort Hood.

Twitter reaction seemed to be positive ("depressing but good" to "BEST MOVIE EVER"). Apart from the crying babies at the military showing.

Do you have a source for that? I'm curious about reading them myself.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Evil Trout posted:

Do you have a source for that? I'm curious about reading them myself.

They've been collected here; http://www.nolanfans.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=15677

(eugh Nolanfans.com)

twoot fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Oct 21, 2014

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

twoot posted:

Twitter reaction seemed to be positive ("depressing but good" to "BEST MOVIE EVER").

Seems to hint at the shaggy dog ending in the old leaked script.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

The gravitational lensing around the black hole looks awesome as hell once they explain what's happening. http://video.wired.com/watch/exclusive-the-science-of-interstellar-wired

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

The review embargo just expired.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

twoot posted:

The review embargo just expired.

And the reviews are mixed (64% on Rotten Tomatoes)...wow. First mixed reviewed film of Nolan's career if it stays this way.

Wabbit
Aug 22, 2002

Have you any figs, Sir?

TerminalBlue posted:

BRRAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWn

I was watching The Untouchables over the weekend and I got a big laugh out of the score during the train station shootout:

(rated R for slow motion Peckinpah-esque blood)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJpRSf4q-hI

Magnificent
Jun 17, 2005

I was not programmed for friendship.
Nap Ghost

Arkane posted:

And the reviews are mixed (64% on Rotten Tomatoes)...wow. First mixed reviewed film of Nolan's career if it stays this way.

Out of 11 critics. I don't think we need to worry yet.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Divisive movies are usually the best ones.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Yeah, every Marvel movie is at 96% on day 1. Mixed reviews can also mean you frustrated people with an ambiguous ending or challenging themes or something that doesn't have a nice bow tied at the end.

Nothing against Marvel, but high early reviews can also indicate a comfortable film without risks. Not necessarily, but the trailers so far make it seem like a dense movie.

I guess Inception rated well, though.

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011
Remains to be seen if its the good kind of mixed, or the bad kind (where people are afraid to criticize their idols and give hedging recommendations - see Prometheus). Its a real bummer if he indeed didn't knock it out of the park, most of Nolan's stuff ends up tripping itself up just short of greatness and I was hoping this would be the one where he finally nails it, but I guess not.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

bullet3 posted:

(M)ost of Nolan's stuff ends up tripping itself up just short of greatness and I was hoping this would be the one where he finally nails it, but I guess not.

Lol. The movie doesn't even come out for nearly two more weeks. Maybe just wait a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

England Sucks
Sep 19, 2014

by XyloJW
Top critics are at 100% so.

I think if Nolan doesn't get credit for this in hollywood he's gonna make a really dull period piece with Daniel Day Lewis and win the oscar and be all like "gently caress you"

• Locked thread