Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006

SarutosZero posted:

I really enjoy the music in this game. The song that plays when you are fighting a big FATE monster is my favorite.

If you dig the music, https://www.youtube.com/user/Huskybythegeek/featured does some insane covers of it. Friggin love his stuff.

Oh hey new page. Guess I'll go play in the real world today with the downtime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
I only step in to tell people they're bad when they're giving other people horrible advice in here. You're allowed to be bad as long as you don't answer someone's honest question with "I don't play tank but".

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh
Hey here is my RAF code!

B8STCEYF

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

orange juche posted:

I don't think the patch will be available through the launcher until the login server is back up, at a minimum.

The login server is up. You can log in right now! You just can't play and the patch isn't available for download yet.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Did somebody say RAF codes? X2RCEFGP

Especially good if you're rolling on Cactuar as that's where I am but I don't see a drat thing in the info that means we don't get the items if you're not.

Come play Chocobo Dressup 14! Possibly with me! Also there's something about fighting and crystals and stuff?

i want that hat

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

i just realized that they continued the FFXIV storyline beyond the end of the Main Scenario/Garlean Invasion, so I am gonna have to run through that when the servers come back up, after I unlock ROG of course.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

orange juche posted:

i just realized that they continued the FFXIV storyline beyond the end of the Main Scenario/Garlean Invasion, so I am gonna have to run through that when the servers come back up, after I unlock ROG of course.
Every major patch has added more main storyline, yep. There's quite a bit by now.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Zereth posted:

Every major patch has added more main storyline, yep. There's quite a bit by now.

It's actually through the extended storyline that the other Primals are brought in. Have fun! Some of them can be a real blast.

I'd also like to say that I think the quality of the storytelling, voice acting, and the story itself kind of improves a lot as these patches go on, so if you liked it before then it should be a treat. The post-50 story stuff is pretty great, in my opinion.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.
I started playing again and unlocked Bard. Now I'm torn between continuing on as DPS and going back to level a healer. I liked druid and shaman healing in WoW but never tried a priest, what is healing like here?

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
White mage is a big raw healing class with some powerful heal over times, Scholar has bubbles like disc priest and a pet that helps with healing

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Spuzzz posted:

I started playing again and unlocked Bard. Now I'm torn between continuing on as DPS and going back to level a healer. I liked druid and shaman healing in WoW but never tried a priest, what is healing like here?

It is fun and kind of challenging, it's one of the more interesting roles in FFXIV for sure.

Scholar healing is all about damage prevention until you hit 50, where you get a massive raw HP dump in Lustrate, 150% of a target's max HP in about a second if you spam it and burn both stacks of Aetherflows that you can get at once. They have a merely decent heal in Physick, and a very good, if expensive combination heal/shield in Adloquium (heals someone, and applies a damage shield for the heal amount for 30s, crits apply a 3x HP shield). You also get a healing pet which can basically toss out buffs and heals independently of you, but if you're really good at micromanagement, you can out-heal a White Mage if you know what you are doing, without running out of MP.

White Mage is all about overhealing and how much you can do it by. Cure is your first heal spell, and is approximately equal to Physick in heal power. Cure II is a much more potent heal but it is also much more expensive than Cure, but it works out to burn less MP than spamming Cure, if you make sure that you don't overheal. Cure III is a very small AoE extremely powerful Cure spell for every friendly target in the AoE. Benediction is the WHM's oh poo poo button, akin to the SCH's Lustrate ability, I think Lustrate might heal more HP, but in smaller chunks instead of one big shot.

Both jobs have wide AoE heals, SCH has Succor, which costs 399 MP at max level, and heals everything within I think 20 yalms for about the same amount as Adloquium, and applies a damage shield on them for 30 seconds same as Adloquium, and crits work the same way. White Mage has Medica, which is basically a 20 yalm AoE Cure spell, and Medica II, which applies HP regeneration on everyone who is affected by the spell.

Athray
Jul 2, 2010

Doublestep posted:

White mage is a big raw healing class with some powerful heal over times, Scholar has bubbles like disc priest and a pet that helps with healing

Or once raids are sufficiently outgeared, shields for spikes and 2/3rds of an actual DPS!

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

orange juche posted:

It is fun and kind of challenging, it's one of the more interesting roles in FFXIV for sure.

Scholar healing is all about damage prevention until you hit 50, where you get a massive raw HP dump in Lustrate, 150% of a target's max HP in about a second if you spam it and burn both stacks of Aetherflows that you can get at once. They have a merely decent heal in Physick, and a very good, if expensive combination heal/shield in Adloquium (heals someone, and applies a damage shield for the heal amount for 30s, crits apply a 3x HP shield). You also get a healing pet which can basically toss out buffs and heals independently of you, but if you're really good at micromanagement, you can out-heal a White Mage if you know what you are doing, without running out of MP.

White Mage is all about overhealing and how much you can do it by. Cure is your first heal spell, and is approximately equal to Physick in heal power. Cure II is a much more potent heal but it is also much more expensive than Cure, but it works out to burn less MP than spamming Cure, if you make sure that you don't overheal. Cure III is a very small AoE extremely powerful Cure spell for every friendly target in the AoE. Benediction is the WHM's oh poo poo button, akin to the SCH's Lustrate ability, I think Lustrate might heal more HP, but in smaller chunks instead of one big shot.

Both jobs have wide AoE heals, SCH has Succor, which costs 399 MP at max level, and heals everything within I think 20 yalms for about the same amount as Adloquium, and applies a damage shield on them for 30 seconds same as Adloquium, and crits work the same way. White Mage has Medica, which is basically a 20 yalm AoE Cure spell, and Medica II, which applies HP regeneration on everyone who is affected by the spell.

Quick correction: Succor is half the potency of Adloquium, and doesn't get the crit shield boost. Also, with Eos out, there's also Whispering Dawn, which is a 140 potency AoE regen if used with Rouse. (Which you probably should, since they share a cooldown.)

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

KaneTW posted:

Hi please provide examples. Hard mode: belzac doesn't count.

Please don't request things like this. With a few days distance I don't want to read my DRK conjecturing again.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Saigyouji posted:

Quick correction: Succor is half the potency of Adloquium, and doesn't get the crit shield boost. Also, with Eos out, there's also Whispering Dawn, which is a 140 potency AoE regen if used with Rouse. (Which you probably should, since they share a cooldown.)

It's half the potency? Huh, didn't notice that V:shobon:V

Hitting Succor and watching a bunch of critted heals pop for 700+ HP + the shield bonus kind of made me think they were almost on the same level. I didn't even go into pet specifics because there's a lot of stuff you can do with your pet that is interesting and fun that really makes a scholar pretty useful.

The real magic ticket is when you do 8 man raids with a SCH and a WHM in the party. Their skill sets synergize extremely well and complement each other perfectly.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 27, 2014

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I need to make a list of Cactuar goons so I can find more people to stalk. Otherwise, it's time to ponder the big question before riding the Ninja train: Is a Lalafell with a glowing sword / shield better than a Lalafell with a large glowing axe?

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

nuru posted:

I need to make a list of Cactuar goons so I can find more people to stalk. Otherwise, it's time to ponder the big question before riding the Ninja train: Is a Lalafell with a glowing sword / shield better than a Lalafell with a large glowing axe?

From a personal perspective I enjoy the Paladin playstyle and goofy things you can do with the Paladin utility skills (spammable stun, stoneskin) far more then the Warrior business.

jim truds posted:

Gameplay wise I remember Paladin being better. However, an oversized glowing axe is the only weapon the master race needs.

Relics are gaudy, but you can Glamour the Mog-axe so...

Edit: Also i've always felt like you can wiggle more damage out of a good Scholar and Paladin or a good Warrior and White Mage, but if you're just duty rouletting you're hosed on the healer being awake / at their keyboard.

zolthorg fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 27, 2014

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

nuru posted:

Gameplay wise I remember Paladin being better. However, an oversized glowing axe is the only weapon the master race needs.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Yes, we're basically talking glamour importance here, not so much the playstyle since they're both going to amount to "spam aoe on trash pulls" for duty roulette :black101:

Overpower + Bloodbath makes a very satisfying sound.

Vaguido
Feb 22, 2011

When the drug test comes back positive for performance enhancing drugs.
Posting yet another RAF Code: TQ2KDABX

Choose mine because I'm a cool dude with rad 'tude.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
Warriors get their tank stance at a reasonable level and generally have enough power to hold threat before that so if you're doing low roulettes that's probably the best option

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
As a Warrior I am consistently jealous of how cool Paladins get to look but I find their playstyle endlessly boring.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Eej posted:

As a Warrior I am consistently jealous of how cool Paladins get to look but I find their playstyle endlessly boring.

Warriors have giant fuckoff axes and Steel Cyclone. I couldn't care less what anyone else does or looks like.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

zolthorg posted:

Please don't request things like this. With a few days distance I don't want to read my DRK conjecturing again.

Did you not fall onto something big, spiky and painful yet? I think you should fix that.

CrimsonObserver
May 24, 2012

Coughing Hobo posted:

Warriors have giant fuckoff axes and Steel Cyclone. I couldn't care less what anyone else does or looks like.

As PLD Main for my static (at least until DRK comes out :fap:) and the year I've been playing (started 1.0 as MRD ironically enough), I have to admit the alternate warrior pose is vastly superior to the paladin one and I am really jealous. Sword/Shield rules though.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

CrimsonObserver posted:

I have to admit the alternate warrior pose is vastly superior to the paladin one

I dunno, have you done the alternate Paladin pose while wielding/glamouring Zantetsuken?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Paladins get an orbital cannon AOE and I've always been kinda jealous of it.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Swords beat axes. This is what video games have taught me. We really need that temple knight, lancer tank to round things off.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Rei_ posted:

And after tonight it won't even be lovely! Probably.

Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006

Rei_ posted:

Took me a minute to figure out what you were referring to, but yeah that thing ain't worth much.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Klades posted:

And after tonight it won't even be lovely! Probably.

Yeah I kinda stopped using that in my rotation because I did better damage and threat generation by just hitting flash again and starting the rotation over.

Stufoo
May 9, 2010

Everybody Loves Me
and that's just about as funky as I can be

orange juche posted:

Yeah I kinda stopped using that in my rotation because I did better damage and threat generation by just hitting flash again and starting the rotation over.

Are you talking about Circle of Scorn?

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Huh, is Heart of the Party a goon guild on Cactuar or something? I've seen them around every now and then.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Maleh-Vor posted:

Huh, is Heart of the Party a goon guild on Cactuar or something? I've seen them around every now and then.

Heart of the Party is a title

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Just noticed that there's a new i80 fishing rod. My supra sure got obviated pretty fast!

It doesn't seem to be craftable either.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

orange juche posted:

I just got this, but isn't it off the GCD, so it shouldn't gently caress with your rotation at all?

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

KaneTW posted:

Did you not fall onto something big, spiky and painful yet? I think you should fix that.

Are you implying this is your lance :3:? Talk DRGy to me :jerkbag:

Klungar posted:

I just got this, but isn't it off the GCD, so it shouldn't gently caress with your rotation at all?

Circle of Scorn is off the global cooldown yes :eng99:

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

I don't think my staff qualifies but I can refer you to people who are into that kind of stuff... for a price.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
Spent a couple allied seals last night to get the rest of the Wyrm's set and got used to the DRG rotation again so hopefully it won't be terrible now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Algid posted:

Just noticed that there's a new i80 fishing rod. My supra sure got obviated pretty fast!

It doesn't seem to be craftable either.

You get it from catching every big fish in the game. Unless you're dumb like me, it's gonna take you a good long time.

• Locked thread