Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Comparisons to Taiwan usually work best since it's a country full of ethnically, linguistically, culturally, genetically similar people. It followed a similar path of development and used a lot of the same policies and ideas.

I know Taiwan never imposed a one child policy and I know fertility rates are now like 0 children per woman but I don't know what the rate of decline looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
It's not that hard. As a country gets richer, people have less babies.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
People also have less babies when the chance the baby survives to adulthood goes up, since there's no need to hedge your bets, as it were.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
It does go back up a bit with improved healthcare, welfare, and maternity leave systems though

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Ceciltron posted:

People also have less babies when the chance the baby survives to adulthood goes up, since there's no need to hedge your bets, as it were.

Not if people don't get richer, no. You have uncontrolled population growth in those cases, which decreases human development rates and increases population growth. Its a viscious cycle.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
You can also have crazies who want to have lots of kids (Israeli Settlers, The American 'Quiverful' movement')

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
My wife's parents kept popping them out until they had a son. 4 daughters in a row. The first daughter, her father was disappointed, but accepted it. The second (my wife) he was angry. The third, he cried.

The fourth had a convenient illness in infancy while in the care of an "aunt" no one talks to, and did not make it.

And that is how my wife is pretty sure that if she had ever had a serious illness as a child she would not have survived it.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Its a delicious irony of humanity that attractive couples are more likely to have female children then unattractive couples. I suppose the lesson is, if you want a boy so bad that you're willing to kill your third child, well, you should've married an ugglo.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

VideoTapir posted:

My wife's parents kept popping them out until they had a son. 4 daughters in a row. The first daughter, her father was disappointed, but accepted it. The second (my wife) he was angry. The third, he cried.

The fourth had a convenient illness in infancy while in the care of an "aunt" no one talks to, and did not make it.

And that is how my wife is pretty sure that if she had ever had a serious illness as a child she would not have survived it.

Good lord that is scary.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Vladimir Putin posted:

Good lord that is scary.

My mother's retarded twin sister drowned in the bathtub, in North Dakota. My mom isn't convinced it was an accident, and given what I know about her mom, I believe her.

Her mom also tried to marry her off to a 45 year old man when she was 17.

There's scary poo poo all over.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

Ardennes posted:

Hong Kong is a pretty different situation since it is a Westernized city state.

I think this a policy that has a lot of problems but it probably much more fair to compare it to India which has a had a more gradual decline. Most of the decline does seem to be happening in the 1970s. There was a drop in the late 1950s/early 1960s but the 1970s drop is a lot harder. Of course, during the early 1960s, there were other governmental policies impacting the population that reduced growth rates.

I think it is a pretty strong armed policy but I don't think that drastic decline in the 1970s was accidental.

According to this graph Korea and Thailand had very similar drops in fertility rates compared with China during the same period of time.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Didn't Mao actively encourage people to have babies in the 50s and 60s though? You can't look at China vs other countries from 1970 on if the meat of the problem happened before then

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

kenner116 posted:

According to this graph Korea and Thailand had very similar drops in fertility rates compared with China during the same period of time.

One of the largest questions I have is the accuracy of China's data reporting. One of my hookups is a second child of central party officials who was sent off to be raised by her grandparents because the family already had one daughter; I wonder how often this occurs, and whether a statistically significant increase in reported gerontological pregnancy can be found in the published Chinese population data after the inteoduction of one-child policy versus rates pre-introduction.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

kenner116 posted:

I think different things are going on, in 1970, using nominal terms, China was about $144 GDP per capita, Thailand was $583 and Korea was $1967. China was far less developed compared to Korea/Thailand which by the 1970s had started to make the first moves toward export focused industrialization while it would take China far longer. China's birthday declined far before industrialization and its transition to an export economy happen.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

VideoTapir posted:

Oh hey, that's like exactly the opposite of my immediate family. Mom kept having boys and everyone was banking on a girl until she gave up after the 4th birth.

Big shame too, since girls are the first inheritors in my family.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

WarpedNaba posted:

Oh hey, that's like exactly the opposite of my immediate family. Mom kept having boys and everyone was banking on a girl until she gave up after the 4th birth.

Big shame too, since girls are the first inheritors in my family.

Yeah I know a guy (native Taiwanese too), he's one of 5 brothers and one (youngest) sister, over a span of at least a decade.

I'm personally happier with girls. :shrug:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

caberham posted:

:laffo: :laffo: :laffo:

4.5k and that's considered top tier manufacturing job. Guarantee pay on time, clean and safe work environment, relatively decent living quarters, etc. People use to bribe the work foreman 1.5 month's pay for a job at Foxconn or other big name factories. Dong Guan's minimum factory wage is 1200, Shenzhen 1500. Most factories pay the minimum.

Doctors and civil servants are paid like 1.5k / month. I was going to write more about the medical system in China but :effort: and I will let you rant about China with the wrong figures.

Apparently my imagination put both doctors and Foxconn workers' wages too high!

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I heard a pretty good quote tonight,

"The next 30 years for China will prove more critical and difficult than the last 30 years."

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

My Imaginary GF posted:

"The next 30 years for China will prove more critical and difficult than the last 30 years."

That's a lot of Friedman Units.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Ardennes posted:

It did limit population growth but didn't halt it, and it has remained more or less stable across the 2000s. Of course you also now have the issue of very soon an inverted age pyramid and gender imbalances.

That said, India also has been a decline over time, it is just much higher than China.

Perhaps without the one child policy there would've been a disaster anyways, but the inverted age pyramid is going to be an enormous problem.

It'll be the baby boom retirement times 10, and China's artificial constriction of birth rates will also cause their demographic divided to evaporate even more rapidly than normal.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

My Imaginary GF posted:

I think that's probably true if vacuous and inspecific, catch-up growth is easy and after the cultural revolution there was a strong concensus not to rock the boat in any way. Both those things are fading.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

V for Vegas posted:

That's a lot of Friedman Units.

Said by the President's right-hand man on foreign policy development.

Arglebargle III posted:

I think that's probably true if vacuous and inspecific, catch-up growth is easy and after the cultural revolution there was a strong concensus not to rock the boat in any way. Both those things are fading.

It was in the context of China's growing nationalism, competing foreign policy interests, increasing civil unrest, oncoming recessionary period, and unwillingness to pay their fair share towards global development snd security issues such as climate change and disease containment.

My Imaginary GF fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Oct 28, 2014

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

Apparently my imagination put both doctors and Foxconn workers' wages too high!

Being a waiter or some entry level job in a the coastal city can get you 5000 RMB a month but food and board is not included. Somehow the money you pocket ends up being the same. Some people prefer working in an assembly line because they rather interact with machines instead of people. Then there's this miracle restaurant Hai Di Lao, where staff turn over is much lower than the industry average, and service staff get much higher pay and perks.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The biggest issue for China may simply be an emptying of savings in the West and the rise of competition that can cut their labor costs even lower. The US probably isn't going to be buying far more Chinese manufactured goods then they already are.

I think it is fair to think of the early 1980s to the early 2010s as a pretty remarkable industrialization bubble helped fueled by peace and very generous trade rights from the West especially the United States.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
In the province I'm in it's illegal for doctors to disclose the gender of unborn children, unless it is medically necessary. I went to the hospital recently and had to get a few ultrasounds and there were notices and signs everywhere explaining this. I'm pretty sure the legality of this varies by region, and it's pretty much unenforceable. Just grease the doctor with a few hundred RMB and you're in business.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Woodsy Owl posted:

In the province I'm in it's illegal for doctors to disclose the gender of unborn children, unless it is medically necessary. I went to the hospital recently and had to get a few ultrasounds and there were notices and signs everywhere explaining this. I'm pretty sure the legality of this varies by region, and it's pretty much unenforceable. Just grease the doctor with a few hundred RMB and you're in business.

That or get your ultrasound in Hong Kong or abroad. Think the unofficial rate is 2000 rmb for the screening :smith:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

caberham posted:

Some people prefer working in an assembly line because they rather interact with machines instead of people.

The smart people iyam

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
Have we D&D'd Chinese efficiency yet?

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

caberham posted:

Being a waiter or some entry level job in a the coastal city can get you 5000 RMB a month but food and board is not included. Somehow the money you pocket ends up being the same. Some people prefer working in an assembly line because they rather interact with machines instead of people. Then there's this miracle restaurant Hai Di Lao, where staff turn over is much lower than the industry average, and service staff get much higher pay and perks.

While the minimum wage for factory is fairly low, what I am hearing from factory managers is that if a factory doesn't provide sufficient overtime hours (which legally is 1.5-2 times the minimum wage), the factory will suffer high turnover rate since many workers rather work more to save up more money by the time they quit. When I was visiting my company's warehouse last month my boss was talking with the warehouse manager to figure out busy work for the workers to do during overtime since business has been slow recently so there isn't much for the workers to do even with their regular hour.

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Perhaps without the one child policy there would've been a disaster anyways, but the inverted age pyramid is going to be an enormous problem.

It'll be the baby boom retirement times 10, and China's artificial constriction of birth rates will also cause their demographic divided to evaporate even more rapidly than normal.

Maybe they'll start accepting immigrants and everyone in the thread can finally get their green card and start being treated nicely by the perfidious Han

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Fall Sick and Die posted:

Maybe they'll start accepting immigrants and everyone in the thread can finally get their green card and start being treated nicely by the perfidious Han
:lol: Accepting immigrants :lol:

Han Chinese are White People v2.0. Take it from me, I'm Southeast Asian, a.k.a. Asian Mexican.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

I'm Jewish, aka whitish

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2014-10-27/it-s-time-to-give-china-some-time

quote:

Is China headed for a boom or bust? Depending on whom you read, the world’s most populous nation is on the cusp of either a debt meltdown, or a middle-class expansion.

I’ve written before about the possibility of China suffering its own "Minsky moment" -- the point when a debt-driven speculative bubble comes to a sudden and nasty end. Yet there’s also evidence the country may be approaching something of a Henry Ford moment, when a manufacturing-based economy matures to point where workers can afford to buy the products they're making. The reality, as unsatisfying as it may be to those looking for a dramatic headline, is probably somewhere in between.

Whee!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

It can be both! (Like the US from 1870-1935)

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

That pretty much is par for course as for Bloomberg's editorial slant, I mean Bloomberg has been real bullish on China since the early 2000s. He cites disposable income growth, but not whether urban Chinese will sit on that money instead of consuming enough to keep the system going.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
More Occupy news! Head of Liberal Party, the pro business sector of Hong Kong James Tien:

http://online.wsj.com/articles/china-advisory-body-to-vote-on-hong-kong-lawmaker-james-tiens-membership-1414497714

quote:

HONG KONG—China’s top advisory body was set to vote on Wednesday on whether to revoke the membership of Hong Kong politician and businessman James Tien, according to a person familiar with the situation.

The move by the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference comes just a few days after Mr. Tien, a Hong Kong lawmaker and head of the pro-business Liberal Party, called on Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying to resign.

The CPPCC standing committee held a meeting Tuesday afternoon in Beijing, in which the question of whether to revoke Mr. Tien’s membership was on the agenda, the person said, without giving a reason for the move.

Mr. Tien, who also runs his family’s garment business, said Friday that Mr. Leung failed to govern Hong Kong amid a monthlong wave of protests that have paralyzed some city streets, and therefore should tender his resignation to the central Chinese government.

Mr. Tien couldn’t be reached for comment on Tuesday evening. A person answering the phone at his office said he would make a statement on Wednesday.

This is loving insane. James Tien has been around in HK politics for quite a while and lead the liberal party. He was the previous head of the tourism sector of Hong Kong and organized a few successful events like the Wine and Beverage festivals and other events. Even he has to go just for stating his opinion. Beijing is trying to get all the boot lickers in line and man if Tien does get voted off, then a major portion of the pan establishment moderates will stop supporting the HK government.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

caberham posted:

if Tien does get voted off, then a major portion of the pan establishment moderates will stop supporting the HK government.

Sounds awesome, I love watching Beijing shoot itself in the foot. Keep us updated!

iceaim
May 20, 2001

caberham posted:

then a major portion of the pan establishment moderates will stop supporting the HK government.

But not even Tien's own brother is supporting James Tien's decision.

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/article/1627050/james-tien-faces-cppcc-expulsion-after-calling-cy-leung-resihn

quote:

Tien's younger brother, lawmaker Michael Tien Puk-sun, said a delegate had a duty to observe the CPPCC's rules and should be prepared to pay a price if they felt a need to air their views.

Also it's official: James Tien has been stripped of his CPPCC seat.

I do hope you're right though. A huge split in the establishment camp would be a delight.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 28, 2014

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003
A staggering blow for Mr. Tien. Losing his seat on the CPPCC means he will no longer be able to introduce legislation or affect government policy in China!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo, I can't believe the HKCPPCC is being that loving transparently bootlicky. I mean it's obvious to everyone who they are, but kicking a guy out the second he steps even slightly out of line is really awful.

I always thought James Tien was pretty terrible. He represents my district and I walk by his neighborhood office every day (he's literally never there. Someone stores those water cooler jugs in it). His posters are often slashed, but I haven't seen anyone draw 共匪 (Communist bandit) on his face like they do with :siren:DR:siren: Elizabeth Quat :siren:PhD:siren: and the other DAB politicians.

Him actually standing up to the establishment gives me a bit of respect for him. But his posters still say "oppose Occupy Central" and their fake line about supporting democracy by which they mean "accept the NPC's reform package no questions asked."

Fall Sick and Die posted:

A staggering blow for Mr. Tien. Losing his seat on the CPPCC means he will no longer be able to introduce legislation or affect government policy in China!!

I've often heard that it comes with lots of cash or perks or something. Like there's a reason people really appreciate getting to be on the HK delegation of the CPPCC, but I've never seen it spelled out exactly what it is.