Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

ICHIBAHN posted:

That's one of the issues I alluded too. Sometimes the keyboard disappears entirely and you have to restart the app. Pretty chill.

Yeah, I just had my first hang up this morning oppening facebook messenger. I think it's too soon to tell if this is going to really annoy me or not.

Coming from android I find it incredibly frustrating that iOS hangs up on something that newer android does stock very well. I would think that with it's large user base, and messenger being such a big thing for so long, that someone at Apple would have done this a long time ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ManMythLegend posted:

Yeah, I just had my first hang up this morning oppening facebook messenger. I think it's too soon to tell if this is going to really annoy me or not.

Coming from android I find it incredibly frustrating that iOS hangs up on something that newer android does stock very well. I would think that with it's large user base, and messenger being such a big thing for so long, that someone at Apple would have done this a long time ago.

This all seems to be related to the new keyboard API. Except for "secure" or password fields, it looks like anything that accepts text input is using this new API, regardless of whether a custom keyboard is installed.

Custom keyboards are a brand new thing barely over a month old. Apple never had to worry about it before. Yeah, they probably had issues pop up in the betas, but it should get sorted shortly. Even though it really should have been identified and addressed before general release.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I used to use an app called "Geek News" which would grab headlines from some IT news websites. Sadly the app hasn't been updated for years, and you can't change which sites it looks at for news.

Is there a newer app which does the same thing?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

You Am I posted:

I used to use an app called "Geek News" which would grab headlines from some IT news websites. Sadly the app hasn't been updated for years, and you can't change which sites it looks at for news.

You could always just use Feedly.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

You Am I posted:

Or Flipboard, Zite, and Circa--all of which have curated sections for Tech that draw from similar if not the same sources. The first two are both basically magazines with different interfaces, Circa allows you to keep updated by stitching together a story from multiple sources and giving you a realtime notification with breaking info on stories you select.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Someone can have this code for Camera+

FF3JYJHNX3*H

Missing number is the one that ate nine.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

noirstronaut posted:

FF3JYJHNX3*H

Grabbed it, thanks!

I have some issues with SwiftKey and messages still. It usually won't open unless I switch to another app that will load the keyboard first, and then back to messages.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Kheldarn posted:

You don't have these buttons at the bottom?

Yes but when I click IT I get taken to the website for my nearest store.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

monkeytennis posted:

Yes but when I click IT I get taken to the website for my nearest store.

Weird... OH! I think I know. Tap it, and when it shows your nearest store, scroll down. The Camera+ thing should be below that.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Kheldarn posted:

Weird... OH! I think I know. Tap it, and when it shows your nearest store, scroll down. The Camera+ thing should be below that.

It just shows what workshops are running at that store, no icons for any apps!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Is there a way I can access my computer through my iPhone 6? I currently have my computer connected through a VPN at home and I would love the ability to shutdown, defrag or manage downloads with my phone.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

obi_ant posted:

Is there a way I can access my computer through my iPhone 6? I currently have my computer connected through a VPN at home and I would love the ability to shutdown, defrag or manage downloads with my phone.
You could use TeamViewer or Splashtop to remotely control your machine. I use TeamViewer myself although not very often since my home internet speeds are garbage.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

monkeytennis posted:

It just shows what workshops are running at that store, no icons for any apps!

OK, try killing both the App Store and Apple Store (double tap Home, and swipe them away), then go into Settings > Services > Privacy > Location Services and turn off Location Services for the Apple Store and try again.

Also, if you're not on iOS 8, then you'll need to redeem the code through iTunes.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

noirstronaut posted:

FF3JYJHNX3*H

What's the source on these codes? And Is it likely they're gonna keep popping up regularly/have a chance I'll see one in the next few days. Or should I just buy it?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Sextro posted:

What's the source on these codes? And Is it likely they're gonna keep popping up regularly/have a chance I'll see one in the next few days. Or should I just buy it?

They've been talking about it all page. It's in the Apple Store app.

Kheldarn posted:

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Kheldarn posted:

OK, try killing both the App Store and Apple Store (double tap Home, and swipe them away), then go into Settings > Services > Privacy > Location Services and turn off Location Services for the Apple Store and try again.

Also, if you're not on iOS 8, then you'll need to redeem the code through iTunes.

Thanks! I love you. Also getting the 'code already redeemed' bullshit though but will keep trying!

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Sextro posted:

Apple Store app is giving them away. I already have the app on both of my accounts, so here's another!

YM3NERJ3**TM

Missing characters are North Korea. I don't know why I do these small spoiler-games, but I saw someone else do it so why not

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

noirstronaut posted:

Apple Store app is giving them away. I already have the app on both of my accounts, so here's another!

YM3NERJ3**TM

Missing characters are North Korea. I don't know why I do these small spoiler-games, but I saw someone else do it so why not

Taken, tyvm!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I'm always too slow to get the codes. :sigh:

Ah well.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

Kheldarn posted:

I'm always too slow to get the codes. :sigh:

Ah well.

Can't message you, give me a way to contact.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

spongeworthy posted:

Can't message you, give me a way to contact.

Edit: Got it! Thanks!

Kheldarn fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 27, 2014

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
Any suggestions for a replacement music app? The stock one is really, really horrendous with 80 gigs of music. "Genius" support would be a plus as well.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Whelp, can't use the Health app anymore for the one thing I actually cared about because the British have to be different and use a slightly different Metric System than everyone else, so Apple has to shut the whole thing down.

Is a pretty graph of my blood sugars too much to ask?

Yes. Yes it is. The other blood sugar tracking apps in the App Store are all for Type-2 fatties, not broken snowflakes like me last I checked.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Yes. Yes it is. The other blood sugar tracking apps in the App Store are all for Type-2 fatties, not broken snowflakes like me last I checked.

MyNetDiary has a diabetic version that isn't too bad. I don't know anything about how the British measure everything, but the app handles mg/dL and mmol/L units.

Read the fine print though: they want a subscription to export data. I don't require this so it doesn't bother me but it's probably a deal breaker for most.

Also no healthkit integration, so there's that too.

Ben Murphy
Sep 9, 2001

I like him in spite of the fact that he's not me.
?

Ben Murphy fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 25, 2015

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

In the end, can't you just use an excel spreadsheet to monitor your health? I use it for my lifts, weight, BP and other health factors and easily link it to various forms of ourput of my own design. For most people, it's a way to get use of Excel that they might very well rarely ever use otherwise.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

XyrlocShammypants posted:

In the end, can't you just use an excel spreadsheet to monitor your health? I use it for my lifts, weight, BP and other health factors and easily link it to various forms of ourput of my own design. For most people, it's a way to get use of Excel that they might very well rarely ever use otherwise.

If you enjoy Excel, sure, use it. But it's perfectly reasonable that our pocket computers be able to log data in a sensible manner.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

xzzy posted:

If you enjoy Excel, sure, use it. But it's perfectly reasonable that our pocket computers be able to log data in a sensible manner.

Is Excel not considered sensible? I haven't looked but it wouldn't surprise me at all if there weren't premade Spreadsheets with macros to track health. All you'd have to do is enter the data.

Edit- There are a lot. Here is a good one.. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/templates/blood-sugar-chart-TC006197787.aspx?redir=0

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 27, 2014

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
This should be relevant to all you Camera + downloaders. I just got an update for the app that has descriptions about an ultra high resolution TIFF mode that takes up way more space per picture but is good for the really great pictures you want to take. i'm sure they're not liars, but I found it interesting that such a thing existed as part of the camera API or whatever. Do you know if this is really possible or they be bullshitting?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Feenix posted:

This should be relevant to all you Camera + downloaders. I just got an update for the app that has descriptions about an ultra high resolution TIFF mode that takes up way more space per picture but is good for the really great pictures you want to take. i'm sure they're not liars, but I found it interesting that such a thing existed as part of the camera API or whatever. Do you know if this is really possible or they be bullshitting?

It's really possible, other camera apps do it (and have been doing it for a long time). Hueless and ProCam come to mind but I'm sure there are others.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

nerdrum posted:

Any suggestions for a replacement music app? The stock one is really, really horrendous with 80 gigs of music. "Genius" support would be a plus as well.

Hope you get a decent answer for this. Never even occurred to me to use a different music app aside from Music.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

the kawaiiest posted:

You could always just use Feedly.

Thanks, that is perfect

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
What's a good news aggregator app? I've been using SmartNews but although the look and feel is nice, I'd like to be able to filter out sources. Seeing The Onion, Fox News, Mashtable, Buzzfeed, and Daily Mail is annoying when mixed in with real news. Not to mention entrepreneur stuff in tech news.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

What's a good news aggregator app? I've been using SmartNews but although the look and feel is nice, I'd like to be able to filter out sources. Seeing The Onion, Fox News, Mashtable, Buzzfeed, and Daily Mail is annoying when mixed in with real news. Not to mention entrepreneur stuff in tech news.

I use Flipboard

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Why not just use an rss reader? Feedly was recommended like three posts ago and I use it every day.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
loving hate the smug update notes that accompany every Camera+ update. Really hope their writer would die in a god drat fire.

The app loving sucks, in my opinion. 645 PRO takes much better pictures, has great options, and I've never had to "edit" a photo taken with it. Its been said in this thread before about 645 PRO, but it takes pictures that make you go, "Wow, I can't believe that was taken with an iPhone."

The interface can be intimidating at first but it's pretty easy to understand once you play with it.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

decypher posted:

loving hate the smug update notes that accompany every Camera+ update. Really hope their writer would die in a god drat fire.

The app loving sucks, in my opinion. 645 PRO takes much better pictures, has great options, and I've never had to "edit" a photo taken with it. Its been said in this thread before about 645 PRO, but it takes pictures that make you go, "Wow, I can't believe that was taken with an iPhone."

The interface can be intimidating at first but it's pretty easy to understand once you play with it.

"Say that to my face."

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

noirstronaut posted:

"Say that to my face."

Die in a fire you stupid dick licker!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

nerdrum posted:

Picky. Don't know if it has Genius support, but otherwise it's everything a music app should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Can a 3rd party app use Genius?