Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Frackie Robinson posted:

Come on, I basically cast 1/2 of a vote for her.

This is basically the tactic I've been taking with my Republican friends. They'll never vote for a democrat as long as they live, but I can usually convince them to at least not vote for the national embarrassment we'll all suffer through if Dan Patrick gets to run the state for a term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.

It's not that bad... I'm in the graduate and professional school though, so I guess I don't count.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

ReidRansom posted:

I'm an Aggie :mad:

Sounds like a personal problem.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

ReidRansom posted:

Unfortunately there is no cure and is quite contagious. :v:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

ReidRansom posted:

I'll tell your next of kin you loved them.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

You guys are dicks. :mad:

Bizarro Watt posted:

It's not that bad... I'm in the graduate and professional school though, so I guess I don't count.

Yeah, I work at IODP on west campus now, and my girlfriend is a PhD student. When you're insulated from the undergrad side of it, it's a great school.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

Roll Tide.

not exactly the best year for austinites to talk poo poo about college football

zoux posted:

That one?

awesome, yeah

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Frackie Robinson posted:

Thanks to this thread for reminding me to vote today

For Abbot :twisted: Even I couldn't bring myself to vote for Dan Patrick though; I just left it blank. gently caress that guy.

Dan Patrick is the important one to stop for entirely too many reasons.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Frackie Robinson posted:

Come on, I basically cast 1/2 of a vote for her.

That's true. And I appreciate it.

Incidentally I wonder, if Literally Hitler got the GOP nomination, by how many votes would he win Texas because :airquote:moderate:airquote: Republicans went "Well I won't vote for Hitler but I sure as hell won't vote for no Demmycrat! :freep:"

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

VitalSigns posted:

Incidentally I wonder, if Literally Hitler got the GOP nomination, by how many votes would he win Texas because :airquote:moderate:airquote: Republicans went "Well I won't vote for Hitler but I sure as hell won't vote for no Demmycrat! :freep:"

While I respect your thoughts, :godwin: tells me that you just lost the argument

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Ninkobei posted:

While I respect your thoughts, :godwin: tells me that you just lost the argument

I am actually quite curious to see how much does it take to push a straight ticket Republican away from a candidate. How nutty do they have to be in order for someone to go "I know I am a true conservative all the way, but Jesus Christ, this guy is messed up!" I mean, Texas Democrats are Republicans elsewhere so it won't be that much of a stretch to hold their nose and vote for a Democrat. But does the candidate have to be a baby eating rapist to lose support?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ninkobei posted:

Nope Godwin's Law is about comparisons, ie figuratively Hitler. I was discussing what would happen if the Texas GOP nominated Literally Hitler. :c00lbert:

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Ninkobei posted:

But :godwin: deals with the probability of Hitler/the Nazis coming up in a conversation and not winning said argument...? :confused:

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Dante Logos posted:

I am actually quite curious to see how much does it take to push a straight ticket Republican away from a candidate. How nutty do they have to be in order for someone to go "I know I am a true conservative all the way, but Jesus Christ, this guy is messed up!" I mean, Texas Democrats are Republicans elsewhere so it won't be that much of a stretch to hold their nose and vote for a Democrat. But does the candidate have to be a baby eating rapist to lose support?

I don't know if any of these would cause a R. to lose votes, though.

1. Discrimination against one/several cultures that arent there own. How long until a Republican wants to deny citizenship to any Muslim/Hispanics?
2. Anti-capitalism. Clearly libertarians fall into this category but it seems like republicans are very much supportive of it, for better and worse.
2b. Do they actively try to dismantle capitalists companies that do not support their goals?

e: ^ I thought Godwin also caused whoever brought up Hitler to automatically lose. Maybe that's something else

ee: "there is a tradition in many newsgroups and other Internet discussion forums that once such a comparison is made, the thread is finished and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever debate was in progress" from the wiki

Setset fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 26, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Just got back from voting. I counted 10 positions where the Republican candidate ran completely unopposed and another 3 or 4 where there was a Green Party member running but no Democratic candidate (a few also were just Republican and Libertarian, and aside from those 10 unopposed spots there was a Libertarian for every office).

Good job Texas Dems, good job.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

That's the stuff. I hope Sargent never retires.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

A new Texas Tribune poll is out. Good news is the transportation bill looks like it will pass easily. The bad news:

Q15. If the 2014 general election for Governor were held today, would you vote for the
Democrat Wendy Davis, the Republican Greg Abbott, the Libertarian Kathie Glass, the Green
Party candidate Brandon Parmer, or haven’t you thought about it enough to have an opinion?
[RANDOMIZE 1-4]
Among likely voters (n=866, MOE is +/-3.33%; 3.60+/-% adjusted for weighting)
1. Greg Abbott 54%
2. Wendy Davis 38
3. Kathie Glass 6
4. Brandon Parmer 2

Q16. If the 2014 general election for Lieutenant Governor were held today, would you vote for
the Democrat Leticia Van de Putte, the Republican Dan Patrick, the Libertarian Robert D.
Butler, the Green Party candidate Chandrakantha Courtney, or haven’t you thought about it
enough to have an opinion? [RANDOMIZE 1-4]
Among likely voters (n=866, MOE is +/-3.33%; 3.60+/-% adjusted for weighting)
1. Dan Patrick 52%
2. Leticia Van de Putte 35
3. Robert D. Butler 9
4. Chandrakantha Courtney 4

Q36. When thinking about your gubernatorial vote choice this year, which ONE of the following
issues is most important to you? [RANDOMIZE 1-12]
1. Border security 23
2. Immigration 11
3. Education 10
4. Jobs/employment 9
5. Affordable Care Act/”Obamacare” 9
6. Ethics in government 8
7. Abortion/women’s health 7
8. Size and scope of government 6
9. Taxes and spending 6
10. Income inequality 5
11. Infrastructure (e.g. Water and Transportation) 4
12. Voter identification 3

And just for fun:

Q28. [ASK IF Q27=1] If the 2016 Republican primary election for president were held today,
which of the following possible candidates would you vote for, or haven’t you thought about it
enough to have an opinion? [Randomize 1-13]
(n=560, MOE is +/-4.14%; 4.50+/-% adjusted for weighting)
1. Ted Cruz 27%
2. Rick Perry 14
3. Ben Carson 10
4. Jeb Bush 7
5. Rand Paul 7
6. Mike Huckabee 7
7. Paul Ryan 4
8. Marco Rubio 3
9. Chris Christie 3
10. Bobby Jindal 2
11. Scott Walker 2
12. Rick Santorum 1
13. John Kasich 0
14. Haven’t thought enough about
it to have an opinion 11

Q29. [ASK IF Q27=2] If the 2016 Democratic primary election for president were held today,
which of the following possible candidates would you vote for, or haven’t you thought about it
enough to have an opinion? [Randomize 1-7]
(n=429, MOE is +/-4.73%; 5.04+/-% adjusted for weighting)
1. Hillary Clinton 60%
2. Elizabeth Warren 13
3. Joe Biden 10
4. Andrew Cuomo 2
5. Brian Schweitzer 1
6. Jim Webb 1
7. Martin O’Malley 0
8. Haven’t thought enough about
it to have an opinion 13

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Do people honestly sit around and worry about the border? Like what are they afraid of? I honestly never think about border security ever, and it's these people's no. 1 campaign issue.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

They sit around and worry about Mexicans, and have learned that "the border" is code for that.

Also I can't believe Van de Putte is doing worse than Davis, considering her opponent.

Edit: although immigration is on there too so I don't know what the gently caress.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

They sit around and worry about Mexicans, and have learned that "the border" is code for that.

Also I can't believe Van de Putte is doing worse than Davis, considering her opponent.

But what do they worry about with respect to Mexicans? Why are they afraid of them.

And it's not surprising at all considering that a quarter of voters are worried about the border and Patrick is a hard right R that is running pretty much a "border first" campaign against a Hispanic person.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Badger of Basra posted:

Edit: although immigration is on there too so I don't know what the gently caress.

I need to take a deeper look but I would think that it is an indicator that the issue is important, not so much that they feel about it one way or another.

Hopefully anyway. I hope that they won't foam at the mouth and go full Arizona.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008
Paul Rudd spotted straight-up regulating homophobia in Texas. Texans also helped out.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

But what do they worry about with respect to Mexicans? Why are they afraid of them.

And it's not surprising at all considering that a quarter of voters are worried about the border and Patrick is a hard right R that is running pretty much a "border first" campaign against a Hispanic person.

I think someone must have hijacked zoux's account; they worry because their afraid of them and their afraid of them because, their skin is darker, they speak a different language, they're catholic, they come from a different culture, they like funny music, they might vote Democratic, just choose any one of those. I've lived in Texas my whole life, which has been a long one, and I always felt Texans were more accepting and understanding of Mexican immigrants. The GOP has done a good job of stoking the fear and hatred and, that feeling of kinship with our Mexican neighbors may have been destroyed for a generation. The poo poo storm created by the cartels along our border hasn't helped and at some point, that stuff is gonna spill over into Texas and will have to be dealt with.

vvvvv Hey I understand. It really is a head scratcher for me because I've always thought we had a kinship and good neighbor policy with our latin immigrants here. That's been changed by a deliberate marketing campaign by the GOP, a decision that was obviously made at the national level and that is bad for our state.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 27, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well I like to try and understand why people think they believe the way they do rather than just chalk everything up to racism.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

radical meme posted:

vvvvv Hey I understand. It really is a head scratcher for me because I've always thought we had a kinship and good neighbor policy with our latin immigrants here. That's been changed by a deliberate marketing campaign by the GOP, a decision that was obviously made at the national level and that is bad for our state.

I think you have it right with it being a national trend that is trickling down to Texas. The GOP, independent groups, and conservative media have all figured out that beating the border security fear drum works really well in most of the states. That narrative was bound to have an effect on Texas voters just because it kept getting repeated in the national press over and over.

Even if it didn't any R who has ambitions beyond Texas knows that the previous policies won't fly in today's national GOP so they go hard-line. You only have to look at the thrashing Perry got over his support of in state tuition for immigrants who meet the residency requirements.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

zoux posted:

Do people honestly sit around and worry about the border? Like what are they afraid of? I honestly never think about border security ever, and it's these people's no. 1 campaign issue.

If nothing else it's been featured in all of the Republican ads I've seen this cycle.

I think it's a mix of factors including the usual racism, "terrorism"/Ebola, and the deluded hope that they can keep people from taking their jobs/having jobs be sent south (NAFTA et all).

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

computer parts posted:

If nothing else it's been featured in all of the Republican ads I've seen this cycle.

I think it's a mix of factors including the usual racism, "terrorism"/Ebola, and the deluded hope that they can keep people from taking their jobs/having jobs be sent south (NAFTA et all).

My take is close to this. "The border" has become an umbrella topic that neatly brings racism, fear of Mexican drug cartels, fear of terrorists sneaking into the country, fear of Ebola or some other disease sneaking into the country, the War on Drugs, unhappiness with globalization and more into one short phrase.

Also your avatar reminded me: If you had told me two weeks ago that Colt McCoy would start another NFL game before Manziel started his first (or poo poo, if you'd told me last offseason that he'd ever play non-garbage minutes again) I'd have said you were full of poo poo.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

zoux posted:

As someone that has been born and raised on the border. Its a different Texas here in the RGV, we have private land owners that have land right on the river that is constantly trespassed by coyotes and the people they smuggle over, cartels that are avoiding the bridges to cross drugs in. You have more and more local gangs that are being wooed by cartels to do their dirty work over here. Sixty miles north in Brooks county ranches are finding people dehydrated malnourished lost and a lot of times have been dead for a while and its becoming the norm.

A lot of times people here are concerned about border security not because of the people mainly from Central America fleeing for their lives, but the disturbing the way of life down here. A lot of times I see most of the time the people that freak the most are the ones that haven't lived down here long coincidentally tends to be more Anglos, Hispanics for the most part don't like crossing illegally, but we understand why it happens. poo poo when the "militias" offered their help during the summer no law enforcement agency wanted them around only private land owners would have them because they feel like they have no other choice to protect their land and more often than not their homes on that land. It's a lovely situation all around. Most down here don't care for how the GOP and talk radio use what's essentially a humanitarian crisis and use loving fear mongering saying Islamists and ISIS are crossing our borders and infiltrating the country. I had to correct my fiancee on that because its just so mind boggling retarded to even think that it would happen. In my experience I've encountered more racial views about it the further north you go in Texas, Austin in particular.

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

VitalSigns posted:

If the 1990 gubernatorial election were held today, would Clayton Williams' gaffes still cost him the election? My mom voted for Ann Richards because of his rape comment.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

EPICAC posted:

If the 1990 gubernatorial election were held today, would Clayton Williams' gaffes still cost him the election? My mom voted for Ann Richards because of his rape comment.

gently caress yeah it would. There were eleven GOP candidates that made questionable rape comments during the 2012 cycle and none of them won.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

zoux posted:

gently caress yeah it would. There were eleven GOP candidates that made questionable rape comments during the 2012 cycle and none of them won.

How many of them were state-wide races? How many of them in states as red as Texas?

We have some truly reprehensible candidates this year that are going to win by a very large margin because theres an R next to their name. I don't think one Williamsesque comment would do it anymore in Texas.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The craziest part of this story is if you read the comments on The Blaze it is full of surprisingly not anti gay comments and more hoorah that cowboy rules

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Wasn't Paul Rudd. But yeah Dallas. It has a thriving gay nightlife which is probably the largest in the state. Might be one of the largest in the country. But the city has some real cave-dwellers. I like that a big ol' dude in a cowboy hat helped take him down.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

The craziest part of this story is if you read the comments on The Blaze it is full of surprisingly not anti gay comments and more hoorah that cowboy rules
That's encouraging. Beck is much more advanced on gay rights than a lot of other right-wing types. Much more libertarian and populist. His views don't line up with progressives with his get-the-government-out-of-marriage idea, which is a non-starter anyways. He hates "anti-gay bigots" and calls Russia a "hetero-fascist" regime. He's still a crazy person but he's more complex than the left-wing caricature.

Slight caveat, from self-described Texan commentators, is how they were proud of him being taken down *not* because he was a homophobe, but because he was a jerk/rear end in a top hat/jackass. That's very Texan.

If you go back and watch those hidden camera what-would-you-do? shows involving actors staging homophobic outbursts in public, the ones in Texas witnessed complete strangers intervening and lecturing the "homophobic" actors not to cause a scene. Where in New York, strangers would just ignore it. That makes sense. New York is way too busy and crowded, and you expect people to keep their heads down.

But for the Texas interventions, that's paradoxically a reflection of Texan conservatism. Priority is on maintaining the social order, and homophobic outbursts disrupt order. Conservatives are all about order. There's a safety in this, but the flip-side is that this culture can be stifling for gay people, as well. At least that's my experience.

It's like "I respect your beliefs but children are present and you're upsetting them." Where you can't imagine a lot of progressives saying stuff like that. The homophobia would be the most upsetting thing.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 28, 2014

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Why the gently caress are you not allowed to use a phone while voting? I'm not calling anybody, I'm looking up the meaning of a word, loving imbeciles who run this election garbage.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Nonsense posted:

Why the gently caress are you not allowed to use a phone while voting? I'm not calling anybody, I'm looking up the meaning of a word, loving imbeciles who run this election garbage.

You might cheat!

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
To be somewhat fair, I think it's partly to prevent vote buying; IE, you vote exactly how someone says to, you take pictures with your phone as proof, and they give you money.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Oct 28, 2014

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.

Shifty Pony posted:

Q36. When thinking about your gubernatorial vote choice this year, which ONE of the following
issues is most important to you? [RANDOMIZE 1-12]
6. Ethics in government 8

What about ethics in games journalism? Will Dan Patrick and Greg Abbott tackle this.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

How many of them were state-wide races? How many of them in states as red as Texas?

We have some truly reprehensible candidates this year that are going to win by a very large margin because theres an R next to their name. I don't think one Williamsesque comment would do it anymore in Texas.

"If rape is inevitable, the woman should just lay back and enjoy it" is so beyond the pale that it would cost the reddest candidate in the reddest district in the state.

Nonsense posted:

What word?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

zoux posted:

"If rape is inevitable, the woman should just lay back and enjoy it" is so beyond the pale that it would cost the reddest candidate in the reddest district in the state.

Its kind of sad though, because they don't get called out on it by their own party enough....