Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Rebel Blob posted:

Not quite music, but every now and then I get in the mood to listen to The Deb of Night.

Oh man, I just zoned out as soon as I clicked that link. Now I wish there was a RainyMood mod for the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

Potsticker posted:

I really, really wish there was more. Or more like this.

If you haven't you really need to play Alan Wake.

Adnachiel
Oct 21, 2012

SplitSoul posted:

Did the Source upgrade project ever get anywhere?

They gave up on updating it and switched over to just rebuilding the whole thing in Unity with multiplayer and a bunch of little extra bits. They also have a new site.

Adnachiel fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 16, 2014

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

NeoSeeker posted:

If you haven't you really need to play Alan Wake.

I heard that game was super boring.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Potsticker posted:

I heard that game was super boring.

It's crazy repetitive and too long for what it is. Decent story though.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's pretty good for the, like, 5 bucks or less you can get it for these days when it inevitably goes on sale. make sure you have a decent comp.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Adnachiel posted:

They gave up on updating it and switched over to just rebuilding the whole thing in Unity with multiplayer and a bunch of little extra bits. They also have a new site.

Lol, that will either never be finished or be finished but have so many "customizations" that it ends up being nothing like the original game and no one will play it.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, Alan Wake is worth playing for the story and atmosphere (though it's no Bloodlines). Best played in small chunks at a time, though, because the combat is very repetitive, especially early on.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
I loved it. I liked the combat, probably because everything else carried it so well. I don't think I felt of it as combat even, more like a means to an end to progress to the next awesome centerpiece.

You gotta admit, that one part where the big black cloud is swarming out of you know where the mental hospital was a magnificent sight.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if the idea of playing through a gigantic love letter to stephen king sounds great to you then it's probably a good buy. i didn't mind the combat all that much beyond the occasional frustrating moment due to the enemy AI's pinpoint accuracy.

to connect this to vtm: bloodlines, it's not much like that game at all beyond having random touches like radio broadcasts and tv shows you can find throughout, which i guess is what started the conversation. if it helps, i liked alan wake's spin on it better. especially in the little dlc chapters that are automatically included with the base game.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Counterpoint - Alan Wake is remarkably poo poo. It kinda picks up when you get to hang out with a bunch of more interesting characters, but otherwise it's really boring.

It's like Max Payne, but without the self-awareness, or fun combat.

It's like Deadly Premonition, but with 10 times the budget and 1/100th of the anything interesting at all.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Man, I loved the combat. Just dodging around like a nut was really cool.

Plus if you don't like a game with Roy Orbison on the soundtrack, gently caress right off. :colbert:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Xander77 posted:

Counterpoint - Alan Wake is remarkably poo poo. It kinda picks up when you get to hang out with a bunch of more interesting characters, but otherwise it's really boring.

It's like Max Payne, but without the self-awareness, or fun combat.

It's like Deadly Premonition, but with 10 times the budget and 1/100th of the anything interesting at all.

countercounterpoint: you're very rude and alan wake is definitely up there on my list of 'cool games to get on sale' list :(

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Alan Wake, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, and Deadly Premonition all came out around the same time and all shot for a sort of Lynchian, not-quite-horror tone. With weird and surreal things going on in a small, tightly knit town. All three also ephasized a mix between the supernatural and petty, personal drama.

The fact that Alan Wake is third third best game with the same basic premise to come out in a twelve month stretch is pretty damning. As is the fact that unlike Deadly Premonition, its cod-Twin Peaks poo poo never coalesces into anything more interesting than a fairly generic fantasy story.

American Nightmare is actually good, but it doesn't even try to scratch that itch.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Alan Wake for $3 or whatever it goes for on sale these days is a p. nice deal.

Would not have payed full price for the game, though.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Additionally the PC version is shockingly demanding for a game that's no prettier than it is.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M1k1tgq87g

There, now you've experienced the only slightly non-tedious thing in Alan Wake.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Xander77 posted:

It's like Max Payne, but without the self-awareness

But that's a matter of opinion. In my opinion it's at least as self-aware as Max Payne if not moreso.

It's more like if Max Payne were just the story and atmosphere and humor, but the combat was made really awkward and bad. But I looked past that because everything else was just so good.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Pope Guilty posted:

Additionally the PC version is shockingly demanding for a game that's no prettier than it is.

i'm not even sure what the hell they did or didn't do on the optimization front, but it was ridiculous. i haven't played entirely through american nightmare yet but from what i've seen so far one of the best changes in that is that it runs so much smoother.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Adnachiel posted:

Why bother with multiplayer at all? Just give me the original with better graphics. I don't even care if they improve the combat. :(

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Was multiplayer actually a thing people were asking/wanting from this game? It seems like such a weird thing to be wasting their time with.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Probably a holdover wish from Redemption. Only Redemption was at least (partially) designed around having that as a component for ST-guided multiplayer chronicles. Adding it to Bloodlines would be...difficult. Might be able to tap into Source and make a deathmatch (assuming the alpha build of source actually has multiplayer bits and bobs in it), but anything beyond that would have to be built from the ground up.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Evidently Bloodlines was going to have multiplayer deathmatch at some point during development and this is justification enough for that whole project I guess.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Upmarket Mango posted:

Evidently Bloodlines was going to have multiplayer deathmatch at some point during development and this is justification enough for that whole project I guess.

Yeah, but at that point it was a lot more action oriented. The whole game was remodeled several times over and got released in the middle of the second or third total revision. They were rebuilding the hub maps from scratch at that point and never quite finished IIRC.

An old version of the HUD from a more action-based version of the game actually shows up in the game as the video game the drug dealers are playing in Santa Monica. If you don't blow all their poo poo up, the TV is showing a screenshot of the sewers with the old UI. It's got like, discrete blood points instead of the larger bar, and stuff.

Renzian
Oct 25, 2003
REDTEXTING IS SERIOUS BUSINESS YOU GUYS.

SERIOUS.
BUSINESS.
Question: I was playing VTM:B last night, new game, and as I'm entering the Elysium area in Santa Monica where Mercurio is, I notice that one of the doors is locked and you need a keycard to get in. Like, when you approach the door, you get the icon at the bottom of the screen of the keypad and keycard. Is this part of a quest? Is it actually possible to do some stuff in the game that gets you into that room?

Hope you guys can help me out here! :)

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Renzian posted:

Question: I was playing VTM:B last night, new game, and as I'm entering the Elysium area in Santa Monica where Mercurio is, I notice that one of the doors is locked and you need a keycard to get in. Like, when you approach the door, you get the icon at the bottom of the screen of the keypad and keycard. Is this part of a quest? Is it actually possible to do some stuff in the game that gets you into that room?

Hope you guys can help me out here! :)

There's a quest that gives you the key. I think it's one of the bounty hunter quests.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

WrightOfWay posted:

There's a quest that gives you the key. I think it's one of the bounty hunter quests.

Yep. And if you want to initiate the quest, talk to Arthur Kilpatrick about his missing bounty hunter.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I'm due for another playthrough and I checked the OP for the recommended mods but it's been a long time since it's been updated.

Is there anything not in the OP or any more recent versions of the mods that are that I need to know about?

I just wanna know what I should be installing for the best experience. If there's anything that significantly changes the game for the better, I'm up for that. I've finished it countless times so I'm not adamant about a "vanilla" experience.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Wesp basic or CQM, depending on which interests you. Don't do Wesp plus, he's just moving poo poo around for the sake of moving it around (sure whatever) but also adding really bad dialogue options and the library (terrible).

whatever version of either should be fine.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
I just installed CQM (This version: http://www.moddb.com/mods/vtmb-clan-quest-mod) on a fresh install of the game and now the game is giving me a "Ram less than 15MB" error at startup. I read on previous pages that it's caused by incompatibility between mods, but what I installed was a modpack, so I wouldn't think it would be innately incompatible with itself.

Anyone know how to fix/prevent this?

Edit: Nevermind, I didn't check the first half of the path which for some goddamned reason led to a version of the install path that was somehow created on the C drive but steam is on my F drive.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Oct 25, 2014

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

What is that Final Nights mod like?

AzureSkye
Mar 4, 2010
Is there a command to spawn in NPCs? Larry is not at his truck and I assume he got killed by the thugs in is new WESP-ified location in the alley.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.

ZearothK posted:

What is that Final Nights mod like?

I like this mod, which for the dude asking about mods can be found here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/vtm-the-final-nights

It opens up a full list of new clans to play, that are typically from non-Camarilla backgrounds. It introduces a few other quests as well. I haven't noticed it being any more buggy than the base game, and the additional stuff is kinda neat. I've played it all the way through with a setite and I had a good time.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Here is Stovetop posted:

I like this mod, which for the dude asking about mods can be found here: http://www.moddb.com/mods/vtm-the-final-nights

It opens up a full list of new clans to play, that are typically from non-Camarilla backgrounds. It introduces a few other quests as well. I haven't noticed it being any more buggy than the base game, and the additional stuff is kinda neat. I've played it all the way through with a setite and I had a good time.

Voice Acted or silent text? And if the former, how good is the VO Work?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Malek posted:

Voice Acted or silent text? And if the former, how good is the VO Work?

Silent text. Last time I had tried it, it was rife with terrible grammar and spelling errors, even in the descriptions of the new clans. The implementation is also pretty terrible compared to what those clans are supposed to be in PnP, but then again this is Bloodlines and most players probably don't give a poo poo anyway.

Overall I still think CQM is the best way to play.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
There is a little VO work here and there but mostly silent text changes. I didn't notice any misspellings, and I typically overlook grammar errors or don't notice them either. Not saying they aren't present, just that I didn't notice them. That being said I first played it about 4 months ago, and I don't know how many revisions it took to get to where it was.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

It's safe to assume mod VO is garbage, just sayin..

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

NeoSeeker posted:

It's safe to assume mod VO is garbage, just sayin..

I believe there is some LaCroix voice acting where they got the actual actor for CQM.

But there is also some other characters who have different VAs for the CQM stuff that is either bad or just too different to not detract from it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Trojan Kaiju posted:

I believe there is some LaCroix voice acting where they got the actual actor for CQM.

But there is also some other characters who have different VAs for the CQM stuff that is either bad or just too different to not detract from it.

They did, yeah. Play through as a Ventrue and you'll hear a bit of extra stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
Recently watched an X-files episode about vampires in Hollywood ("Blood " from season 2, I believe), and there's a scene in a blood bank that reminded me a lot of Bloodlines. That's got to be intentional, considering all the pop-culture references in V:tM, right?

• Locked thread