Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

John Carstairs posted:

I think you'll find the most likely explanation for that is simply drama.

Actually in both cases its an attempt to avoid drama that will eventually happen at a later time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

ImpAtom posted:

I'd err on the side of 'lazy writing' before the Build Burning having miraculous nanomachine technology or something considering nobody has pointed it out onscreen yet. It could be otherwise but I kinda doubt it.

On the other hand, one of the first points that gets touched on in the first episode is that Gunpla Battle invariably leads to something you invested a lot of time and hard work into getting completely trashed if you lose. And the new Gunpla Battle start up sequence actually indicates how much damage the models will take during the fight itself.

As you said, it is entirely possible that the writers are just lazy, or the animators could have just made a mistake. I could just be way over-thinking a dumb kid's cartoon about little plastic mans beating and shooting the hell out of each other.

But it still just strikes me as strange.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Actually in both cases its an attempt to avoid drama that will eventually happen at a later time.

I would, personally, count exploding out of another model that should be by all accounts destroyed as the theme song kicks in as a pretty dramatic entrance. :v:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Sei Iori actually just left the concept of the Build Burning hidden inside that Dom. The reason the Build Burning is fine is because the Build Burning consumed the Dom from within like a chestburster when Sekai touched its burning heart.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Or it can fix itself like the Turn A.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I counted the Build Burning not being damaged as a programming glitch, basically a way to get around the damage is to Nesting Doll the gently caress out of a Gunpla. It only counted the hit as part of the Dom because it didn't recognize the inner Build Burning as "in play" yet. Now if Yuuma shot twice into the explosion...

Caros
May 14, 2008

W.T. Fits posted:

Yeah, I pointed that out, too, but nobody else cared or considered it significant enough to think about. :shrug:

Actually I commented on this exact thing.

My best guess is that the Build Burning wasn't registered in the system. All of the beams, explosions etc are nothing but visual effects in Build Fighters, when a beam goes through the center of the torso, the system simulates the damage that it should be causing to the model underneath. If the Build Burning wasn't registered, or was intentionally registered in such a way that the system didn't consider it 'part' of the Dom, then it is entirely possible that the system would simulate damage to the Dom, but wouldn't simulate the damage to the Build Burning inside of it.

Edit: Beaten.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

On the other hand, one of the first points that gets touched on in the first episode is that Gunpla Battle invariably leads to something you invested a lot of time and hard work into getting completely trashed if you lose. And the new Gunpla Battle start up sequence actually indicates how much damage the models will take during the fight itself.

As you said, it is entirely possible that the writers are just lazy, or the animators could have just made a mistake. I could just be way over-thinking a dumb kid's cartoon about little plastic mans beating and shooting the hell out of each other.

But it still just strikes me as strange.

I lean more toward the lazy writing/animation budget explanation but I don't think it's odd to question it. This is, after all, a show where a literally magic particle is not only animating plastic models, but simulating terrain and bullets and plasma shots and explosions and all sorts of other poo poo. This is also an upgraded version of a model whose whole gimmick was to manipulate said particle to do crazy horseshit, so I wouldn't be shocked if the Build Burning had some sort of Plavsky self-repair function.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
They did it because it's cool.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
What the Rising Gundam actually nicked was one of Sekai's Burning (God?) Shadows. :v: (I think that was the dub name of the attack? G Gundam is pretty awesome.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really do hope Sekai runs into a problem he can't just kung-fu his way out of. It's sort of weird having a team of two real robot pilots and a super robot pilot.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Spelling Mitsake posted:

They did it because it's cool.

This.

Plus, it establishes the Build Burning as a monster so once it does start getting damaged you'll know things are getting serious.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
I'm convinced Building Burning Gundam is actually made entirely out of Plavsky Particles.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Probably true since it doesn't even have a builder in the gpbase description. You'd think someone would walk to Sei's place and ask him about it already. Unless he's a gunpla cop or something :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Probably true since it doesn't even have a builder in the gpbase description. You'd think someone would walk to Sei's place and ask him about it already. Unless he's a gunpla cop or something :v:

He's overseas promoting Gunpla, like his dad.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Zwingley posted:

What the Rising Gundam actually nicked was one of Sekai's Burning (God?) Shadows. :v: (I think that was the dub name of the attack? G Gundam is pretty awesome.)

God Shadow is also a thing in the original Japanese version, yes.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Well a year(ish) before BFT started, China and Sei were living in Europe while China goes to art school in Paris, so they still might be there.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
I wanna know how they got the money for that off a gunpla shop no one visits.
World Tournament cash dollaz?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Razzled posted:

Plus endorsements, and Sei's dad probably makes mad bank as a vaguely-defined Gundam Secret Agent Cop.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Poison Mushroom posted:

vaguely-defined Gundam Secret Agent Cop.

If they make a third season, I hope they go down this route. :allears:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Razzled posted:

I have a feeling after Sei won the world tournament as a little middle school poo poo Iori Models probably became a pilgrimage spot for Gunpla nerds.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Poison Mushroom posted:

Plus endorsements, and Sei's dad probably makes mad bank as a vaguely-defined Gundam Secret Agent Cop.

They prefer Gunpla Interpol.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alternately China's gunpla appears to be mass produced so maybe she's swimming in Gunpla Money and Sei just mooches off her.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Alternately China's gunpla appears to be mass produced so maybe she's swimming in Gunpla Money and Sei just mooches off her.

At least until his parents retire and he gets to run the Gunpla shop.

KoB
May 1, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

If BF's world is anything like ours, Bandai would pump out HGs of the Build Strike, so Sei should be rich too.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

KoB posted:

If BF's world is anything like ours, Bandai would pump out HGs of the Build Strike, so Sei should be rich too.

Yeah, I remember them doing that a lot for tournament Magic the Gathering guys. Granted all they need to do in there is just ignore the RG system and suddenly the metagame isn't broken as poo poo.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Revolver Bunker posted:

I'm convinced Building Burning Gundam is actually made entirely out of Plavsky Particles.

I can actually see this happening. I'm imagining the look on Nils' face when Sei suggests it to him, and it is priceless. :allears:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ImpAtom posted:

I really do hope Sekai runs into a problem he can't just kung-fu his way out of. It's sort of weird having a team of two real robot pilots and a super robot pilot.

It's, actually really good and cool.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Razzled posted:

Online sales maybe? I know a few hobby shops that have derelict-as-hell storefronts but are floating nicely off the back of their web business.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Literally The Worst posted:

It's, actually really good and cool.

:agreed:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

Wrong opinion. It's great because it's weird and kind of out of place.

Just like G Gundam itself in the greater Gundam franchise.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I agree with ImpAtom on this, I hope Sekai pulling out a super kung-fu move out of nowhere doesn't become overused like the build knuckle from season 1. Especially since with the focus on teamwork; it'd be all too easy to fall into a pattern where the battle plan is to faff about until Sekai decides he wants to win.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Srice posted:

it'd be all too easy to fall into a pattern where the battle plan is to faff about until Sekai decides he wants to win.

I hope there is an episode that is literally this

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Srice posted:

I agree with ImpAtom on this, I hope Sekai pulling out a super kung-fu move out of nowhere doesn't become overused like the build knuckle from season 1. Especially since with the focus on teamwork; it'd be all too easy to fall into a pattern where the battle plan is to faff about until Sekai decides he wants to win.

I dunno, even if Sekai hadn't pulled out Hurricane Kick and the Cardigan got blown apart it was then going to be Vengeful Ultra Sniper and Kung Fu Genius 2v1 against a completely isolated R-Gyagya.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Wrong opinion. It's great because it's weird and kind of out of place.

Just like G Gundam itself in the greater Gundam franchise.

I don't really think something being out of place is inherently good. Part of why I liked the first season fights is that it had a lot of emphasis on the many different parts of battle, including planning, preparation and the limits and strengths of their suits. Sekai's magical kung-fu sidesteps a lot of that (so far) in a way that not even Nils' magical kung-fu did.

I'm hoping they realize this and don't play it out, but on the other hand the Build Knuckle in Season 1 kinda ran into a similar problem.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
S1 was pretty much devoted to getting as many kinds of battles as possible (two equals, two friends, tactical, a monster, a slaughter, etc), but S2 is probably focusing on the usual teamwork arc. They've already laid the seeds for Sekai's melee focus biting him in the rear end, he'll get his lesson soon enough. I bet it'll tie into the Build Burning getting crushed, and Sekai realizing he can't build a model nearly good enough to continue punching things to death.

The question is whether his team or his master will pull him out of his funk.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

I don't really think something being out of place is inherently good. Part of why I liked the first season fights is that it had a lot of emphasis on the many different parts of battle, including planning, preparation and the limits and strengths of their suits. Sekai's magical kung-fu sidesteps a lot of that (so far) in a way that not even Nils' magical kung-fu did.

They're not going to play out the kung-fu super robot poo poo because it's literally the entire point of the Build Burning and Sekai's fighting style. And the RG system was basically the exact some thing as the kungfu poo poo is except one hundred times more boring.

Then again, we're only 4 episodes in and they've already done more new things with the Kung Fu than they ever did with the RG system so I wouldn't be worried about it getting stale.

KoB
May 1, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I'm hoping they realize this and don't play it out, but on the other hand the Build Knuckle in Season 1 kinda ran into a similar problem.

The first season already did those things, maybe we're only 4 episodes in and theyre going to do something different?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

They're not going to play out the kung-fu super robot poo poo because it's literally the entire point of the Build Burning and Sekai's fighting style. And the RG system was basically the exact some thing as the kungfu poo poo is except one hundred times more boring.

Then again, we're only 4 episodes in and they've already done more new things with the Kung Fu than they ever did with the RG system so I wouldn't be worried about it getting stale.

Eh, I wouldn't agree. Reiji's entire thing is that he was a super-elite pilot who could wreck guys from the moment he got into his robot, but he still had to learn about the other elements when it turned out that being really good at fighting wasn't enough. Sekai got handed what amounts to a magic robot that means he (so far) doesn't even need to worry about anything but doing his kung-fu. Ideally what will happen is he comes up against something where his kung-fu fails and it turns out that he can't just Win Button it and has to learn himself about the other elements instead of Fumina and Yuuma doing it for him.

And it doesn't matter if it is a new attack each time if it ends up being used the same way. The Build Knuckle wasn't boring because it was the same attack. It was boring because "Build Knuckle Comes Out -> I win" was the thing that happened, regardless of if it was the Build Knuckle, Double Build Knuckle, Hyper Build Knuckle or whatever. Prior to that fights had more dynamic and interesting endings.

KoB posted:

The first season already did those things, maybe we're only 4 episodes in and theyre going to do something different?

I don't generally assume that writers learn from their mistakes unless proven otherwise, especially when something is successful. v:shobon:v If they do, awesome! But I think based off the last season there is reason to be hesitant about this specific aspect.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Well, if the Build Burning gets totally wrecked, it's a good thing the team has an ace Gunpla Builder on it.

• Locked thread