Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Eddain posted:

It's being sold through a merchant using Amazon fulfillment, not directly by Amazon.
At the time I posted, it was being sold directly by Amazon.com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Anyone had a chance to test how EVGA 970's perform with the bios update?

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Volguus posted:

Jetson is a big board. I'd go with an M4 kind of board (or arduino), and optimize the poo poo of my program, and what I can't do there in a reasonable time, talk with a server. K1 is a powerful chip, but it runs on linux (has an entire OS running). An M4 board would be a much weaker cpu, but with no OS, you'd have all the resources at your disposal. And none of them can stand a chance against a desktop machine.

Yeah, that is some good advice. I'm going to go with a server and use a Arduino Yun on the drone.

Now for the server, for GPGPU what type of card should I be looking for? I've currently got a 560ti that I will use in the meantime, but should I be looking at a Quadro or some other GTX? I don't know how powerful I will need, I can't find much on how individual cards perform with CV, but if I'm looking for raw performance/GFLOPS which card type?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

So I'm hoping to be upgrading my graphics card soon and after looking through everything I could my only remaining concern is if I need to be upgrading my power supply at the same time, which I'm woefully uneducated on. Currently I'm running a Corsair 750W with a HD 6970 and looking to upgrade to a R9 280/290. Most of the things I've seen suggests a 750W will be more than enough but having blown 2 power supplies in my life because of being stupid I'm always looking for more confirmation I'm not about to make it 3. I'm only running a single hard drive, an unclocked i5 2500K, and a DVD drive I never use otherwise.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
It should be more than adequate if the PSU's not too old. I'm running a 290, a bunch of HDDs, and an overclocked 2600K on an original-revision TX750 for the moment before the Seasonic arrives and it's fine. I'm pulling about 410-450W max from the wall and the 12V rail hasn't budged.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Can someone check Newegg on their own device for me? I wanted to confirm that Newegg literally removed their browsing filters in the Desktop Graphics Card section for specific graphics card make just to make it take slightly longer to find out if GTX 970s are in stock. :allears:

You can't even Power Search them.

E: Further investigation shows that all chipset tags have been removed, even for motherboards and the like.

E- 12 hours later: they're back

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 26, 2014

Nthman
Nov 3, 2004

Creepy
I was just noticing that same thing.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

If Newegg doesn't put those filtering options back, I'm gonna do all my shopping at Amazon. Real talk.

edit: Yeah they're back now, yay.

td4guy fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Oct 27, 2014

Nthman
Nov 3, 2004

Creepy
I wonder if they are trying to curb people from using that extension that lets you browse newegg for items but see if its cheaper at other places.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
So I'm trying to get a mega Skyrim build functioning for screenshotting at 4K (with nvidia DSR). At 1080p, I'm able to turn off most of the effects so the game runs at 60 fps when I'm setting up a scene. This is the same case at 2160p as long as I stay indoors (where presumably draw distances are short). As soon as I'm in an open area, the frame rate at 2160p drops to < 1 fps, whereas at 1080p it would still be a pretty solid 60 fps. It's also worth noting at as soon as I turn the camera to face a wall even when outdoors, the frame rate shoots back up. In addition to the fps drop, there's also poly flickering. What's the reason for such a disproportionate decrease in performance? Wondering if there's some way I can work around it.

Eddain
May 6, 2007

td4guy posted:

If Newegg doesn't put those filtering options back, I'm gonna do all my shopping at Amazon. Real talk.

Honestly I haven't bought anything from Newegg for a long time. I only use Newegg to look up the tech specs since Amazon doesn't list jack poo poo.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Duck and burger posted:

So I'm trying to get a mega Skyrim build functioning for screenshotting at 4K (with nvidia DSR). At 1080p, I'm able to turn off most of the effects so the game runs at 60 fps when I'm setting up a scene. This is the same case at 2160p as long as I stay indoors (where presumably draw distances are short). As soon as I'm in an open area, the frame rate at 2160p drops to < 1 fps, whereas at 1080p it would still be a pretty solid 60 fps. It's also worth noting at as soon as I turn the camera to face a wall even when outdoors, the frame rate shoots back up. In addition to the fps drop, there's also poly flickering. What's the reason for such a disproportionate decrease in performance? Wondering if there's some way I can work around it.

Sounds like you're running out of video RAM and it has to swap to system RAM. As fast as PCIe is, it's totally suck compared to a video card's internal memory bus. Try lowering the DSR ratio.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Eddain posted:

Honestly I haven't bought anything from Newegg for a long time. I only use Newegg to look up the tech specs since Amazon doesn't list jack poo poo.

This. Especially if you have Amazon Prime, shopping becomes 'Let's see how expensive it is on Amazon first'. Since Prime I've bought huge things I'd never thought I'd buy off the internet, like grills and TVs. Newegg is good to see specifics on cards but I'll take Amazon every time for superior shipping and return functionality.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Eddain posted:

Doesnt that basically make you online retailing Hitler

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

KakerMix posted:

This. Especially if you have Amazon Prime, shopping becomes 'Let's see how expensive it is on Amazon first'. Since Prime I've bought huge things I'd never thought I'd buy off the internet, like grills and TVs. Newegg is good to see specifics on cards but I'll take Amazon every time for superior shipping and return functionality.

I think a lot of people who don't live in California (and maybe select other states?) use Newegg over Amazon because they like self-reporting sales tax at the end of the fiscal year instead of at the time of purchase

Schiavona fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 26, 2014

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

It fits!

Albeit I had to take out the 3.5 tray....but i'll never use it for anything anyway.

I've yet to test it out on anything yet.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

WMain00 posted:

Nvidia's Dawn demo :toot:

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

cisco privilege posted:

Nvidia's Dawn demo :toot:

wonder if you can still get the nudepatch anywhere...

Fajita Fiesta
Dec 15, 2013
I just looked that demo up and christ it's creepy.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

WMain00 posted:

It fits!

Albeit I had to take out the 3.5 tray....but i'll never use it for anything anyway.

What the heck case is that?

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Aerocool DS Cube

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Basticle posted:

What the heck case is that?

I donno but it looks like the entire PC can fit inside my case, but I do love the idea of it's motherboard laying flat. It goes with what I was saying about GPU's looking awesome, but all I ever see is the PCB board.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

WMain00 posted:

Aerocool DS Cube

Looks like they bought the schematics to the prodigy and stuck a new logo on it.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
In the past 24 hours I acquired the only two MSI GTX 970 & 908 Gaming cards in western Canada for two friends, installed and overclocked them, and then ran some poo poo with DSR enabled.

I can confirm these cards are :frogsiren:

My 7870 Hawk weeps as I try to push its overclock higher to compare. :smith:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Step 1) Buy 970's and 980's
Step 2) Sell on ebay for 25% profit
Step 3) Be Evil and rich?

Seriously is there like, a single old lady in the entire factory making these things?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Wait if I can get 970s and 980s I can sell at profit? There is lots of stock where I live.

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010

Ak Gara posted:

Step 1) Buy 970's and 980's
Step 2) Sell on ebay for 25% profit
Step 3) Be Evil and rich?

Seriously is there like, a single old lady in the entire factory making these things?

Step 2.5)Ebay and paypal take 20% of that profit and you wonder why you even bothered.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
I dunno if anyone else had this problem with their 970 but mine would set its core to a max of 530MHz occasionally when I alt tabbed games. Restarting or disabling/re enabling it in device manager would reset it to normal. It may just be the newest nvidia drivers doing this since it wasn't happening in the older ones.

Using EVGA precision and turning on kboost seems to have fixed it without rolling back, so there you go.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

bobby2times posted:

Step 2.5)Ebay and paypal take 20% of that profit and you wonder why you even bothered.

I'm actually returning the 2 Asus 980s I bought because gently caress Ebay and their fees and all the scammers. Also the reference blower is loud as hell and I don't feel like voiding my warranty to watercool asus cards.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

simplefish posted:

Wait if I can get 970s and 980s I can sell at profit? There is lots of stock where I live.

In the US it seems that you can get a Gigabyte non-Gaming model 970 or a base Zotac (non Omega or AMP! version) 970 pretty freely, and I believe MSI non-Twin Frozr models are widely available, but good luck finding the ASUS STRIX or the MSI Gaming models anywhere. I haven't seen them in stock for days, and if they do come in it seems to be a very small number that get purchased within a few minutes.

What's the difference between the Gigabyte Gaming 970 model and the normal Windforce one? Slightly higher factory OC's?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

veedubfreak posted:

I'm actually returning the 2 Asus 980s I bought because gently caress Ebay and their fees and all the scammers. Also the reference blower is loud as hell and I don't feel like voiding my warranty to watercool asus cards.

It sounds like the seller gave you the item you paid for though? Why are you going to open everything up and return it to him, sounds like you're loving the guy over. I'm tempted to take his side. I return a lot of cards too but I do that with NewEgg/Microcenter, not the little guy.

Also I know you know you can RMA the thing if you put the stock cooler back, no card makers give anyone poo poo over that if you haven't obviously damaged the card installing the aftermarket cooler.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

Zero VGS posted:

It sounds like the seller gave you the item you paid for though? Why are you going to open everything up and return it to him, sounds like you're loving the guy over. I'm tempted to take his side. I return a lot of cards too but I do that with NewEgg/Microcenter, not the little guy.

Also I know you know you can RMA the thing if you put the stock cooler back, no card makers give anyone poo poo over that if you haven't obviously damaged the card installing the aftermarket cooler.

He's saying he's not going to resell on eBay and instead is just returning the cards. He bought them at Microcenter a few weeks ago.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

jkyuusai posted:

He's saying he's not going to resell on eBay and instead is just returning the cards. He bought them at Microcenter a few weeks ago.

This. It's not worth it to me to try flipping them on Ebay for a couple bucks with how much hassle ebay has become.

The reason I'm concerned with Asus is that they do actually have a sticker on the screw for the heatsink. Plus I have 2 970s on order from Tigerdirect for 323 each. Just need them to hurry up and come back in stock.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

veedubfreak posted:

This. It's not worth it to me to try flipping them on Ebay for a couple bucks with how much hassle ebay has become.

The reason I'm concerned with Asus is that they do actually have a sticker on the screw for the heatsink. Plus I have 2 970s on order from Tigerdirect for 323 each. Just need them to hurry up and come back in stock.

Oh, gotcha. Hell, I was gonna sell two MSI 970's to some aussie here for only $50 profit and kinda wasted several hours getting shipping quotes and stuff for him to back out. Returned those to newegg.

For what it's worth I've had Asus take back R9 290's with the screw sticker gone but your mileage may vary.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Just to check - two 970s running default SLI will be much better than a single 980, right?

I can afford a little more than a single 98' but definitely not two right now.

Is it better to pop 2 970s in there, or buy a 980 and save for the second one later?

They'll be used for 1080p gaming at most but I want to future proof a bit and to run games at ridiculous Fps

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Don Tacorleone posted:

Just to check - two 970s running default SLI will be much better than a single 980, right?

Is it better to pop 2 970s in there, or buy a 980 and save for the second one later?

They'll be used for 1080p gaming at most but I want to future proof a bit and to run games at ridiculous Fps

Assuming the game has a good profile.

Also, there is no such thing as future proof. Buy whatever makes the most sense at the time you are looking.

Personally I did not see enough of an increase in performance over my 290s to justify 980s. When I sell my 290s I should come out a little ahead but be spending a hell of a lot less on electricity and have the latest and greatest.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Don Tacorleone posted:

I'd buy a 970, and then grab a 2nd if you want more performance. They certainly won't be any more expensive in the future, and after looking up your TV model it looks like it won't take 120Hz input so all you need is 60fps @ 1080p.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Don Tacorleone posted:

Yeah do what I am doing, I am running a 1080p monitor at 60fps but I am also trying to run an oculus rift, so I picked up one 970 now, and I'm waiting to grab another one somewhere down the line when I start to feel like either A) my system can no longer play my games maxxed out (which currently with one 970 it can save for badly optimized games like ARMA) or B) the price point drops really low.

SLI depends heavily on the correct profiles being released and its a per game basis. I wish SLI wasn't so wishy washy, but I keep hearing that SLI is a perfect solution for VR so I am aiming for that.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Knifegrab posted:

I wish SLI wasn't so wishy washy, but I keep hearing that SLI is a perfect solution for VR so I am aiming for that.

Wut? SLI breaks VR and Oculus warns against it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Rime posted:

Wut? SLI breaks VR and Oculus warns against it.

Nvidia has a new sli vr mode where each card renders for each eye. Not sure if its available yet.