Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ImpAtom posted:

I like the chainsaws more but the whips are super fun. I wish they synergized a bit better.

I use the whips mostly with either Shuraba or Rakshasa as it not only flows better, but using the whips to pull enemies back at me and get right back to hacking at them is the best thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

BottledBodhisvata posted:

You can replay them at any time though. The LP pieces in question are rather well-hidden too in both places, you have to really scour for 'em.

It's kind of funny how this is the case. If you watch Kamiya's LP of the first game he says that the LPs were supposed to be really easy to find and acknowledges that they weren't. You'd think they'd have learned their lesson for the sequel but full LPs are still a bitch to find once they start splitting them into pieces.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

SurrealityCheck posted:

Kamiya turned up at valve. I hope this means platinum back catalogue appearing on steam, given that Sega allowed Valkyria Chronicles on recently.

Vanquish on PC would be incredible. And if they put up Anarchy Reigns maybe there would be people playing its multiplayer (ahaha no).

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam
Hey guys I just picked up this game. I don't know anything about it and refused to do any loving research. The game apparently came with the first game, which I think is pretty wicked cool.

My question is, should I play through the first Bayonetta game before diving into the sequel?

Please respond. Please be honest.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

I played the Bayonetta 2 demo and thought it was great. I started playing Bayonetta 1 on Friday and got really bored so I swapped to Bayonetta 2 and it's just a way better game so I'd play that first (like I did).

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Blackdog420 posted:

Hey guys I just picked up this game. I don't know anything about it and refused to do any loving research. The game apparently came with the first game, which I think is pretty wicked cool.

My question is, should I play through the first Bayonetta game before diving into the sequel?

general consensus is "playing bayonetta 2"("playing bayonetta 1")+6y = x^fun

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Beef Waifu posted:

I use the whips mostly with either Shuraba or Rakshasa as it not only flows better, but using the whips to pull enemies back at me and get right back to hacking at them is the best thing.

Right now I've got the whips paired with Takemikazuchi as my secondary weapon set. They've got zero combo synergy but they're great for keeping pressure on mid- to long-range enemies while my hammer smashes the close ones into paste.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Blackdog420 posted:

they're both great games and if you haven't played the first already then that is a great place to start

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Absolutely yes. The first game's graphics are from five years ago but it's objectively one of the best beat'em ups ever made. Also the first game has cool Nintendo Easter eggs added in such as if you use the Princess Peach costume the dragon she summons looks like Bowser instead, etc.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Only retards start on the second one of anything

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Assassin's Creed.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

Except for Mega Man. Mega Man 1 is unfun and has some bad design choices and is a bad introduction to the franchise. Mega Man 2 is much more fun and a lot easier for a beginner to get into.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

Assassin's Creed.

Saints Row.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Don't ever play Street Fighter 1.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Street Fighter.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

Assassin's Creed.

did you put this here in an attempt to proved the man's point? well done!

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

hey you're a rude dude, you know that? but thanks for the response anyways :hfive:

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
You can't win in tag using Love is Blue / Scarborough Fair right? :( Unless the partner is real bad.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Tatsuta Age posted:

I played the Bayonetta 2 demo and thought it was great. I started playing Bayonetta 1 on Friday and got really bored so I swapped to Bayonetta 2 and it's just a way better game so I'd play that first (like I did).

I'm honestly curious why you found Bayo 1 boring but not Bayo 2. The sequel certainly improves upon the first in basically every way, but the changes in gameplay, pacing, and mechanics are not so large that I could see liking one but finding the other boring. Is there a specific thing you can point to that is the problem? I'm not trying to call you out or anything here, I'm just not seeing the critical component.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Mr. Neutron posted:

You can't win in tag using Love is Blue / Scarborough Fair right? :( Unless the partner is real bad.

You can, you've just gotta be smart about your moves and knowing what to do.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly, the hardest part of winning is the fact that if you get behind in the combo on anything but a boss battle it can be really hard to make it back up. It can be a little aggravating sometimes.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

What is the difference between Love is Blue and Scarborough Fair?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly, the hardest part of winning is the fact that if you get behind in the combo on anything but a boss battle it can be really hard to make it back up. It can be a little aggravating sometimes.

Yeah, this is pretty much the only bad thing about Tag Climax from my perspective. If you drop behind from dropping your combo for a second you are hosed. Getting Umbran Climax might bring you back but chances are your opponent can also use it at that point too and then the gap gets even bigger. The only place it feels where it will be even for the most part are human sized enemies on 3 Stars and that's because fuckers are hard to hit and keep a constant combo against.

amitlu posted:

Do you fancy Red or Blue?

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

amitlu posted:

they have completely different movesets

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

Do you fancy Red or Blue?

The moveset is entirely different.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ah, never mind then. Doesn't Rosa also have Bayo 1 moveset too or is she different?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
She's old Bayonetta, but she gets 2 shot by like everything, and a rad robot that shoots your score through the roof.

Pomp fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 27, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Does anyone have any tips for playing as Rodin? He seems kinda too slow and immobile for the game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ImpAtom posted:

Does anyone have any tips for playing as Rodin? He seems kinda too slow and immobile for the game.

From what I've played of him he just hits everything really hard and that guard he has is loving solid. I'd say take advantage of his kicks that push you forward like air B and doing attacks immediately out of jump. I need to mess around with him more myself as I've been pretty much exclusively doing Lumen Sage poo poo since he is radical, but I don't think Rodin's outclassed by anyone.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
For the first Bayonetta, what does easy (automatic) mode mean? I'm getting crushed on Normal. I'm on around chapter V and I really just can't beat it. I'm not using any items, maybe that's the issue? I never needed them in any other Platinum game I've played so I don't really wanna use any here.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Also what does the left trigger do? It seems to cycle through 2 different types like modes in DMC or something but I don't remember it ever getting explained. I was waiting for a tutorial or something but it still hasn't brought it up.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Austrian mook posted:

For the first Bayonetta, what does easy (automatic) mode mean? I'm getting crushed on Normal. I'm on around chapter V and I really just can't beat it. I'm not using any items, maybe that's the issue? I never needed them in any other Platinum game I've played so I don't really wanna use any here.

It means holding down the attack button will make Bayonetta perform a string of combos automatically, with no need for directional imputs or pauses combos and poo poo. It's easy easy mode.

Just use the items - that's what they're they for, until you become more familiar with stuff. What part exactly are you finding difficult?

Austrian mook posted:

Also what does the left trigger do? It seems to cycle through 2 different types like modes in DMC or something but I don't remember it ever getting explained. I was waiting for a tutorial or something but it still hasn't brought it up.

Changes the weapon loadout. You have to set the weapons yourself first though, in the weapons menu.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Pesky Splinter posted:

It means holding down the attack button will make Bayonetta perform a string of combos automatically, with no need for directional imputs or pauses combos and poo poo. It's easy easy mode.

Just use the items - that's what they're they for, until you become more familiar with stuff. What part exactly are you finding difficult?

Changes the weapon loadout. You have to set the weapons yourself first though, in the weapons menu.

I couldn't beat the second fight with the red woman (i forget her name, Jeanne?). I've been relying pretty heavily on witch time to beat most of the enemies, can you even hurt the two claw dudes without it? Oh, I have other weapons? Are those the things I get from the CD's? Don't I need to buy them first?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

I couldn't beat the second fight with the red woman (i forget her name, Jeanne?). I've been relying pretty heavily on witch time to beat most of the enemies, can you even hurt the two claw dudes without it? Oh, I have other weapons? Are those the things I get from the CD's? Don't I need to buy them first?

No, the weapons are given to you as soon as you give the LPs to Rodin. You can buy duplicates of some of the weapons to have them on both hands and feet.

For Jeanne, you can get witch time by dodging her wicked weaves. To build up magic and deal some damage, hold the attack button after punching or kicking to shoot her.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Evil Eagle in about 20 minutes would you be good for some tag climax action?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Austrian mook posted:

Grace and Glory? They're real bastards the first time everyone plays. It's possible to beat everyone really, without witch-time. The hardest difficulty actually disables it. It's kinda crazy.

Oh yeah, Jeanne. Listen out for her attacks - she'll always give some signal for what she's going to do, like when she uses her own wicked weaves; best advice is to equip Shuraba - the sword, get in close, and never be afraid to dodge. Use items if you're really struggling. There's no shame in it.

You have to find the LPs first, Rodin will give the weapon to you automatically when you visit the Gates of Hell. It's bad labelling, but the weapons he "sells" to you, are just so that you can equip another set. So having shotguns on both arms and feet at the same time for example.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Austrian mook posted:

You can check out your weapon loadout with the - button. You can set two different loadouts here, the left column is hands, right column is legs, upper row is loadout A, bottom is loadout B. As a bonus, when you get the sword, equip that and the Link costume at the same time.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Beef Waifu posted:

Evil Eagle in about 20 minutes would you be good for some tag climax action?

Sure, why not. I still only have 2 of the cards from witch trials though.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think I've only got one left, but yeah I wanna mess around with Rodin a bit more before today is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
:vince: Holy gently caress the combinations are limitless

• Locked thread