Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

comes along bort posted:

Unless you harvested them yourself pretty much all the crab in MD is imported. :ssh:

If you live in MD and don't have a few waterbilly friends/acquaintances then this might be the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

MickeyFinn posted:

Fixed this for you.

Something is really wrong with you and I hope you get the help that you need. :ohdear:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

pathetic little tramp posted:

So has there been any discussion of the 40,000 missing voter registrations in Georgia? That poo poo sounds so crazy I'm sure there's something to it I'm missing.

http://thinkprogress.org/election/2014/10/26/3584582/tens-of-thousands-of-missing-voter-registrations-could-sway-georgia-elections/

It will be a cold day in hell before Deal doesn't do every illegal thing he can to ensure victory. Given the fact he's pretty much gotten away with years of corruption he's never going to stop and it looks like the judge is going to tell those voters tough poo poo and :fuckoff:

But it's ok, because racism is over in America.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Forget about Obama, now ISIS is gonna grab your guns.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Joementum posted:

"Rioters". Jesus Christ.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
America's first freedom is the....second amendment. Got it.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Ravenfood posted:

America's first freedom is the....second amendment. Got it.

How do you think we wrested control from the redcoats? :911:

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

My Imaginary GF posted:

Let me ask you this, what was the last close race for an executive office where Illinois waited until election day to count the votes?

Or, what does everything coming in late do to the vote count in the one county who's turnout is paramount?

I haven't lived in Illinois for a while, so I wouldn't know.

As for everything coming in late, no idea - I mean I figure on its face that the race would look like it's going for the republican before Cook County counts their votes and then it could shift to the democrat pretty hard, but the votes would get there eventually. I don't see why the vote counting may be delayed, but it's not as though votes wouldn't get counted is it?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The freedom to defend America by any means necessary is actually the fifth freedom, which you might remember from such noted historical sources as the Splinter Cell games.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
I thought the Fifth Freedom was love.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

It's actually heart, then you summon Captain Reagan and he trickles down all over your welcoming, open mouth.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is that a magazine?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

zoux posted:

Is that a magazine?

Yes, it's the NRA's print mag.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

zoux posted:

Is that a magazine?

NRA News http://www.nrapublications.org/index.php/first-freedom/

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

zoux posted:

Is that a magazine?

The subscription has no limits

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Oh man, I didn't even bother reading the article because I assumed it would be the normal nonsense from Wayne, but no. It's so much better.

quote:

But the reality is that we may be living in some of the most dangerous times in human history. Does that sound like some crazy exaggeration to you? Well, consider this:

Recently, in The Wall Street Journal, former CIA Director James Woolsey warned that “the most significant threat to the U.S. in the world” is the threat of catastrophe caused by an electromagnetic pulse, or EMP. And that danger appears to loom larger every year.

What is an electromagnetic pulse? It can be triggered by a massive solar storm, or set off by detonation of a nuclear device hundreds of miles above the earth. Even if no blast, shock or fallout reaches the ground, the cascading avalanche of infrastructure failures caused by an EMP can create a national catastrophe.

Stock up on guns in case terrorists detonate a nuclear weapon in the atmosphere above the US and knock out the power grid!!!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

^
Excellent, we quoted different insane parts of the article.

I actually just read the article where that pic is from:

quote:

Imagine your world blanketed by pitch black. You have no lights, no electricity. Phones don’t work. Even the battery-powered radio you keep for emergencies picks up nothing but static—if it powers up at all.

Transportation grinds to gridlock as soon as everyone’s gas tank runs dry—even if their cars’ computer chips aren’t ruined by the EMP. Fuel shipments dry up as energy companies struggle to jump-start their pipelines and refineries. Food shipments stop.

In many ways, our nation would be plunged back into the 1800s. Without clean water or sanitation, Third World diseases would re-emerge—amoebic dysentery, typhoid, cholera—killing our youngest and frailest family members. Hospitals would be overwhelmed.

Remember the horrific scenes you saw from Hurricane Katrina or the 2010 Haiti earthquake. Then magnify those calamities to a national scale and lengthen them from weeks to many months.

If this all sounds inconceivable to you, again, consider the findings of the government’s own congressional EMP Commission. According to their report, within a year of a national blackout, as much as 90 percent of the population of the U.S. could die due to starvation, disease and the collapse of civilization as we know it.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Joementum posted:

I personally love it when pro-gun people don't realize they're exactly why I own guns.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

Oh man, I didn't even bother reading the article because I assumed it would be the normal nonsense from Wayne, but no. It's so much better.

Stock up on guns in case terrorists detonate a nuclear weapon in the atmosphere above the US and knock out the power grid!!!

You know if terrorists do build both a bomb and ICBM then quite frankly they've earned the privilege of using them.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Joementum posted:

This has been a rallying cry in the nuttier circles for a few years now. As far as I can tell it originated from one of Newt's crazy tech fetishist presentations. It's so so dumb.

But if the solution is a big public works project to strengthen the grid then sure whatever.

e: yep, he read it in some cheesy book and thought it sounded cool so it became another one of his things:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5TzyFFbclY

He's been ranting about it to anyone who will listen since.

Good Citizen fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 27, 2014

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

SedanChair posted:

Quarantine? More like Qur'antine.

November thread title.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
One of my favorite ads from 2012 was about an EMP attack. Note the Iranian nuclear sub anchored off the coast of Seattle teaming up with a land-based ICBM from Venezuela. :ohdear:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

joeburz posted:

It's actually heart, then you summon Captain Reagan and he trickles down all over your welcoming, open mouth.

I just watched Clear and Present Danger last night, it's weird but funny Tom Clancy made Reagan the bad guy.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Joementum posted:

Holy poo poo! That clears up something that confused the hell out of me: my hardcore conservative dad suddenly freaked out last month about the possibility of ISIS detonating an EMP weapon on 9/11 and causing the collapse of the USA. It seemed like a bizarrely off-the-wall scenario for him to be worried about and I was wondering where the hell it came from. Mystery solved.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

effectual posted:

November thread title.
:agreed:

Joementum posted:

What always amuses me is the people that say poo poo like this also deride people who put solar panels on their roofs so they aren't dependent on the grid as "hippies."

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

It will be a cold day in hell before Deal doesn't do every illegal thing he can to ensure victory. Given the fact he's pretty much gotten away with years of corruption he's never going to stop and it looks like the judge is going to tell those voters tough poo poo and :fuckoff:

But it's ok, because racism is over in America.

Any backlash is a big unknown though. It's quite likely that the state can drag this out long enough to prevent the voters waiting on their registrations from participating. However whether it fails or succeeds, it's going to have an effect on other voters. Given that this is about minority voter suppression in the South, many voters have personally experienced poll taxes and literacy tests and the Republicans have made their views of black people voting crystal clear. Even with all the measures taken before 2012, black turnout was higher than white turnout. So my money's on the backlash being significant enough to potentially eliminate the intended effect even if it's not enough to push the Democrats to victory.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

My very liberal mom is in a book club with friends of hers from across the political spectrum (a few old hippies and also a bunch of members of the Glenn Beck/Fox News crowd). A few years ago they read some postapocalyptic novel where an EMP knocked out all the electronics and the country fell apart and the only guys who survived were the rugged individualists who had all the guns. My mom was kind of worried about the EMP thing after she read it because all the Fox News folks treated it like it a real threat. Then she asked me if it was something that could actually happen and I was like no and then she got over being afraid of it.

fake edit: I just remembered the best part, it had a foreword by a certain possible leader of the civilizing forces telling us how big a threat EMPs were.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Notahippie posted:

Holy poo poo! That clears up something that confused the hell out of me: my hardcore conservative dad suddenly freaked out last month about the possibility of ISIS detonating an EMP weapon on 9/11 and causing the collapse of the USA. It seemed like a bizarrely off-the-wall scenario for him to be worried about and I was wondering where the hell it came from. Mystery solved.

I'm trying to imagine a situation outside of Goldeneye or Escape From LA where the EMP isn't a secondary bonus effect which is somewhat less important than the nuclear strike which caused it.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Most survivalists I've known really like solar, but are afraid because it's made by the Chinese.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Shear Modulus posted:

My very liberal mom is in a book club with friends of hers from across the political spectrum (a few old hippies and also a bunch of members of the Glenn Beck/Fox News crowd). A few years ago they read some postapocalyptic novel where an EMP knocked out all the electronics and the country fell apart and the only guys who survived were the rugged individualists who had all the guns. My mom was kind of worried about the EMP thing after she read it because all the Fox News folks treated it like it a real threat. Then she asked me if it was something that could actually happen and I was like no and then she got over being afraid of it.

fake edit: I just remembered the best part, it had a foreword by a certain possible leader of the civilizing forces telling us how big a threat EMPs were.

It'll be no shock to anyone that the Secure the Grid Coalition has such partners as Newt Gingrich, Allen West, Frank Gaffney, and William Boykin

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Shageletic posted:

Also, in yet another debate debacle this season, things aren't too friendly down in the Washington metro area.

Honestly, how far away are we from the point where debates resemble the Jerry Springer show, complete with "oooooooo-ooooo-hhhs", staged fist fights and a "moment of reason" at the end? I give it ten years. Ratings, sadly, will skyrocket.

When the apocalypse comes, I'm going to eat gold.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Oct 28, 2014

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

zoux posted:

Is that a magazine?

:rolleyes: It's called a clip.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

The Warszawa posted:

Hillary Clinton has the greatest potential to be a 21st century FDR.

By which I mean she's the most likely to broker exclusionary compromises to her legislative achievements in the name of pragmatism, further entrenching systemic inequity.

I can't tell if this criticism of FDR is legit.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Joementum posted:

The ironic thing to me is that the NRA puts out the same kind of reactionary digital magazines that Al Qaeda does.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

I can't tell if this criticism of FDR is legit.

I think it is. In order to get Southern Democrats on board, a lot of New Deal programs were deliberately crafted to exclude blacks as much as possible.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Pope Guilty posted:

I'm trying to imagine a situation outside of Goldeneye or Escape From LA where the EMP isn't a secondary bonus effect which is somewhat less important than the nuclear strike which caused it.

This is the best part about fears of an EMP.

"EMPs will destroy civilization :byodood:"
"Not nearly as much the nuclear apocalypse that precedes it"

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Ed Gillespie boldly comes out in favor of racial slurs.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Silver2195 posted:

I think it is. In order to get Southern Democrats on board, a lot of New Deal programs were deliberately crafted to exclude blacks as much as possible.

Well yeah, no doubt FDR had to make some sacrifices, but he still managed to shift the direction of the country very far left. He created one of the biggest social programs in history and he jacked up the top tax rate to 94%. A Hillary presidency would never come anywhere near close to doing that, even if she had a democratic congress.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Joementum posted:

Ed Gillespie boldly comes out in favor of racial slurs.

Raising take home pay and create jobs...by I'm assuming not mandating that companies pay their employees more or providing federal money to state economies. Do people still believe that cutting taxes somehow makes "job creators" unburdened and able to fully flex their kind, giving souls?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

joeburz posted:

Raising take home pay and create jobs...by I'm assuming not mandating that companies pay their employees more or providing federal money to state economies. Do people still believe that cutting taxes somehow makes "job creators" unburdened and able to fully flex their kind, giving souls?

My dad unironically argued that if we cut the minimum wage, then businesses would be more willing to hire millenials for "job training, since kids don't need the money from flipping burgers that much" and giving them job experience so they can move on to better jobs, and shouted me down when I said that they wouldn't hire people out of the goodness of their hearts if you cut the minimum wage and that they would just pocket the extra change and keep the same amount of workers. I honestly feel insulted that he expected me to take that argument seriously.

• Locked thread