Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kater
Nov 16, 2010

The real best answer to anything in Bayonetta is equip Link outfit and buy the charge attack and spam that forever. You will automatically block everything. Or just equip the Link outfit and play normally and only block stuff when you mean to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Kewpuh posted:

Is there a version of this video that doesnt force me to listen to thIS loving BRITISH ACCENT

:lol:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Have you thought about being less British in your next LP?

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

I'm sorry, I will try to be more American for the next LP, because LPs are purely :911:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ok ok all these fancy moves are well and good but lets dial it back a moment - how on earth do you remember all the combos and what they do?

I played the demo and practiced all the combos one by one until I could do them sort of reliably but as soon as the actual battles started it all went right out of my mind in the chaos. I don't even know how you decide which ones to use.

This is so much more complicated than The Wonderful 101

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Actually Kewpuh the British are extremely cool. Almost as cool as a bespectacled brunette British stripper who is 90% leg.

Bayonetta is cool.

^^^ Rusty I see you post in the Hyrule Warriors thread all the time but the combos in Bayonetta are beyond you?! :psyduck:

codenameFANGIO fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 27, 2014

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

Ok ok all these fancy moves are well and good but lets dial it back a moment - how on earth do you remember all the combos and what they do?

I played the demo and practiced all the combos one by one until I could do them sort of reliably but as soon as the actual battles started it all went right out of my mind in the chaos. I don't even know how you decide which ones to use.

This is so much more complicated than The Wonderful 101

It tends to happen naturally while playing the game. Simple combos like PKP or PKK are something you will probably learn first, when you get more comfortable you will probably start incorporating/experimenting with other ones. You don't really need to stress about it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

codenameFANGIO posted:

^^^ Rusty I see you post in the Hyrule Warriors thread all the time but he combos in Bayonetta are beyond you?! :psyduck:

I...don't really get this comparison. The combos in Hyrule warriors are extremely simple and follow the same basic pattern with slight variations across all characters. It's not really absurd that someone could grasp the combos in HW and still have trouble with Bayonetta.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, Hyrule Warriors combos are incredibly rote and simplistic. They are literally all just weak->strong or weak-weak-strong ect. Bayonetta has a lot more to remember just for the basics.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

codenameFANGIO posted:

^^^ Rusty I see you post in the Hyrule Warriors thread all the time but the combos in Bayonetta are beyond you?! :psyduck:

The Hyrule Warriors combos are extremely easy. Every character has 4-5 moves total and they all have exactly the same inputs.

Hyrule Warriors adds difficulty not through technicality of the actual fighting, but through throwing tough enemies at you or creating complicated scenarios. It's really quite a different experience.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 27, 2014

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I've honestly never played Wrecking Crew - is it worth my 200 coins?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

I won't lie, I only played the demo for Bayo 2 but the combos reminded me of Hyrule Warriors a lot. I haven't really played many technical brawlers outside of Revengeance though so I will admit I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. It seemed to be a lot of whacking two buttons in a similar way to me, with lots of dodging sprinkled in. I just figured the skill set could cross over, I don't know :shrug:

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
Ordered the Mario Kart 8/Nintendoland bundle off Amazon, as well as Bayonetta 2 and a Pro controller.

How am I doing so far?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Sdoots posted:

Ordered the Mario Kart 8/Nintendoland bundle off Amazon, as well as Bayonetta 2 and a Pro controller.

How am I doing so far?

Where's Super Mario 3D World

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
You hosed up by not buying a Wii U months ago.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Sdoots posted:

How am I doing so far?
don't forget about the couple hundred you need to spend on the wii backlog and the wiimote you need to buy. (assuming you didn't buy a wii before)

buy every zelda and mario game made in the last thirty years all on the same day, it feels pretty good, revel in nostalgia until you realize you never grew up and decide to end it all

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

elf help book posted:

You hosed up by not buying a Wii U months ago.

elf help is right as he often is but you do deserve credit for taking steps to improve your previously miserable gaming habits. :waycool:

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Red posted:

If you like first gen NES stuff like Excitebike or Balloon Fight, sure. It's got like 99 levels, but they're all made of the same eight or nine different tiles. It does have a level editor like Excitebike though, which I remember being fun for a while. There was no way to save them on the cartridge, but with save states you can.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Red posted:

It's a likable puzzle game where most of the challenge is in finding routes through the levels that will not get you trapped. I enjoy it but it's not one of the must play games in the genre.

Sdoots posted:

How am I doing so far?

Severe lack of Wonderful 101. Shameful.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

codenameFANGIO posted:

I won't lie, I only played the demo for Bayo 2 but the combos reminded me of Hyrule Warriors a lot. I haven't really played many technical brawlers outside of Revengeance though so I will admit I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. It seemed to be a lot of whacking two buttons in a similar way to me, with lots of dodging sprinkled in. I just figured the skill set could cross over, I don't know :shrug:
In Musou combos are mostly just hitting light attack a certain number of times and then branching onto heavy attack to choose which precanned animation you want to play. In Bayonetta first of all the move tree is a little more complicated, so your inputs might switch between light and heavy or pause for a beat, and also individual moves can be strung together based on their hit properties like a fighting game.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
I only have so much money in each paycheck, guys, christ.

I was planning on Smash, Wonderful 101, and Hyrule Warriors with my next one. I'll pick up the Wii U Mario games the week after.

I have a Wii, but a very small collection for it. I imagine a friend of mine would be willing to let me have or sell me his games for dirt cheap, though, and I do own Metroid Prime Collection, at least.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

codenameFANGIO posted:

You defended Bayo like a few pages ago calling me an internet tough guy because I said I didn't like it lol

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

You defended Bayo like a few pages ago calling me an internet tough guy because I said I didn't like it lol

I don't care if you like Bayonetta or not, but I do care if you're an annoying rear end in a top hat :shrug:

I probably should not have said 'internet tough guy' though, that is clear to me now

EDIT: I just looked and I called you a 'posting bad boy' which is funnier

codenameFANGIO fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 27, 2014

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I have never played Bayo 1 and I've only played the Bayo 2 demo, so I don't understand why her clothing disappears when she attacks. I didn't notice this until my gf asked me, "why do her clothes disappear when you attack?" I had no answer for why it happens or for why I didn't notice.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

codenameFANGIO posted:

I don't care if you like Bayonetta or not, but I do care if you're an annoying rear end in a top hat :shrug:

I probably should not have said 'internet tough guy' though, that is clear to me now

Annoying rear end in a top hat for not liking Bayonetta and saying so.

*writes down notes*

Anyway, does anyone know if the MK8 preorder DLC is tied to pre-orders only? As in, after November, if I buy the DLC, will I still get the Shy Guys and Yoshis?

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

Her clothing?

That's her loving hair. And she's beating poo poo up with her hair. HAIR BASED COMBAT.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
For wrecking crew, check out a youtube video of it. It's not a particularly varied or complex game, so you can pretty much see if you'll like it or not.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wildtortilla posted:

I have never played Bayo 1 and I've only played the Bayo 2 demo, so I don't understand why her clothing disappears when she attacks. I didn't notice this until my gf asked me, "why do her clothes disappear when you attack?" I had no answer for why it happens or for why I didn't notice.

Her clothing is actually her hair. There were old legends about witches using their hair for magic and that got telephoned-game into "her hair is literally magical" so she uses it as a summoning focus for demons from hell. The more powerful the focus the more hair she needs (and thus the less clothing she has on.) All those fists and stuff are actually demon fists being manifest through her hair.

Bayonetta!

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Sdoots posted:

I only have so much money in each paycheck, guys, christ.

I was planning on Smash, Wonderful 101, and Hyrule Warriors with my next one. I'll pick up the Wii U Mario games the week after.

I have a Wii, but a very small collection for it. I imagine a friend of mine would be willing to let me have or sell me his games for dirt cheap, though, and I do own Metroid Prime Collection, at least.

I just bought a Wii U two days ago with Mario 3D Land and it's pretty loving incredible. I'm like you in that I'm a bit overwhelmed on what to buy next.

Question - months ago I purchased Shovel Knight for 3DS (actually i have a 2ds). I only got about halfway through because the 2ds cramped up my hands under the serious platforming of the game. Now that I own a Wii U and have synced my Nintendo Link up does that mean I can download SK on the Wii as well?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

noirstronaut posted:

Annoying rear end in a top hat for not liking Bayonetta and saying so.

I mean dude, it's like the difference between saying "noirstronaut is a lovely loving poster lol" and "Noirstronaut sometimes makes seemingly unprovoked incendiary posts that incite responses in kind." They're basically the same sentiment but one implies basic respect and discourse while the other is not too useful unless you want to rile everyone up for fun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I just bought a Wii U two days ago with Mario 3D Land and it's pretty loving incredible. I'm like you in that I'm a bit overwhelmed on what to buy next.

Question - months ago I purchased Shovel Knight for 3DS (actually i have a 2ds). I only got about halfway through because the 2ds cramped up my hands under the serious platforming of the game. Now that I own a Wii U and have synced my Nintendo Link up does that mean I can download SK on the Wii as well?

No, Nintendo does not have Crossbuy.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sure you can.

It'll just cost you $15. :v:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Strange Quark posted:

I mean dude, it's like the difference between saying "noirstronaut is a lovely loving poster lol" and "Noirstronaut sometimes makes seemingly unprovoked incendiary posts that incite responses in kind." They're basically the same sentiment but one implies basic respect and discourse while the other is not too useful unless you want to rile everyone up for fun.

The implication my post made (watching a video of what happened) imp[lies that i thought the story was weak and that the gameplay wasn't even worth engaging in. No idea why it matters that I think the game is garbage, though. I could have said the game reminds me of some slash fanfiction you'd see on Tumblr and it wouldn't have made a difference. But alas, here we are, gamergoons.

You can buy the Wii U one, but they're different "games" in the sense that the 3DS one has 3D and the Wii U one has Miiverse. Outside of that, Nintendo has yet to have cross-platform purchases, so you'd have to buy it again anyway. :shrug:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

There's one game which has cross-buy, and Shovel Knight is not it. So, it's possible, and hopefully we'll see more of it, but unfortunately it's not something which is common on the eShop.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
NOE lets publishers do cross-buy on the PAL eShop but it's not an automatic thing, developers have to elect to do it and it counts a a sale/promotion rather than a system-wide perk so they can make it a limited-time offer if they want, and they have to be specific about whether or not it works from 3DS-to-WiiU, WiiU-to-3D or both. It probably should be a simple thing (and it definitely should be an international thing) but it's not.

The Shovel Knight devs haven't given any indication as to whether the PAL release will or won't have any sort of cross-buy loyalty discount.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
What are some games that are easy to pick-up-and-play with my casual-gamer wife? I might pull the trigger on a Wii U if a decent bundle makes an appearance around Christmas.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

melon cat posted:

What are some games that are easy to pick-up-and-play with my casual-gamer wife? I might pull the trigger on a Wii U if a decent bundle makes an appearance around Christmas.

Super mario 3D world and Mario Kart 8 are probably the best bets.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Kirby's Epic Yarn

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I just beat SM3DW :getin:

Or the first 8 Worlds, at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

Soul Glo posted:

Just bought a blue wii remote plus and nunchuk refurbished from Nintendo's website. I know the consoles they sell refurbished are basically new, how are the controllers? The same or with visible wear?

The refurbished controllers I got were basically new, just like my refurbished Wii U. You made a smart choice if you're on a budget. If anyone needs to pick up extra ones I think that's the right way to go.

I'd buy more myself for 8-player Smash...if I had 7 friends. :(

melon cat posted:

A couple easy games to get into are Super Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8. If you get a refurbished one for $200 it comes with NintendoLand, which is a nice collection of minigames that are pretty fun and really easy to play as well.

Apparently a lot of people have said co-op Hyrule Warriors is awesome. The controls are easy to understand, but it depends on if your wife would be interesting in stabbing literally thousands of dudes.

• Locked thread