Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I feel as if we should see something like a comic tonight if we are going to have Halloween by Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I like to bind Q to 'good shot' and spam it whenever someone goes to 1vs1 me.

:iceburn:

ColHannibal posted:

I feel as if we should see something like a comic tonight if we are going to have Halloween by Friday.

I hope so. I personally hope that Valve has managed to get a contract with Tom Jones to provide the voice for the new Halloween Boss: Hutta-Neck-Snap Tom Jones.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

a cock shaped fruit posted:

:iceburn:

I hope so. I personally hope that Valve has managed to get a contract with Tom Jones to provide the voice for the new Halloween Boss: Hutta-Neck-Snap Tom Jones.

As a wholly sincere and unironic Tom Jones fan, I would kill a man for this update.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

As a wholly sincere and unironic Tom Jones fan, I would kill a man for this update.

Would you kill....TOM JONES!!!???

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Shouldn't we have a Halloween event by now?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Just looking at the past dates, it seems Tuesday is most likely.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Didn't it coincide with the Halloween sale in the past? Friday, if so.

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013
http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=14798

TF2 Blog post on the distribution of gifts, seems like they're not too impressed with the practice of servers teleporting players to gift spawns. Instead of that this year they just want to give everyone stuff straight up, with extra stuff if they complete this year's achievements.

e: With the guiding principle that they don't care what people do in game for fun, so long as everyone's having fun.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

HMM YES A LIKELY STORY AND NOT AN ATTEMPT TO STEM THE FLOOD OF FREE STUFF SO THAT PEOPLE WILL BE FORCED TO BUY IT FROM THE STORE :tinfoil:

But seriously, farming gifts sucks so I can't really fault them for this, even though it means that prices will probably be way higher than before.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Xander77 posted:

Didn't it coincide with the Halloween sale in the past? Friday, if so.

Doesn't look like it in 2012 at least. Update on the 26th, Halloween sale on 29th. The past dates are all at least two days before Halloween, so (hopefully) the 31st is less likely.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

So we get gifts for playing the new Halloween map and actually getting the achievements on it? Yikes.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
That's a spooky image they used in the article.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

mabels big day posted:

So we get gifts for playing the new Halloween map and actually getting the achievements on it? Yikes.

Almost all the achievements they've ever done that were tied to a single map either mandated grinding on one map for ages (100+ wins on Foundry, Process, Snakewater, etc) or else were so obscurely situational that most people wouldn't ever unlock them unless they were actively trying to do so. I'm assuming that the new achievements will follow the same pattern, and if that's the case, I'd be surprised if even a quarter of the people who actually play during the Halloween event end up unlocking the achievement-based gift bundle.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The first year they did Halloween stuff it was all tied to one map. It's not necessarily going to require crazy grinding.

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013

gtrmp posted:

Almost all the achievements they've ever done that were tied to a single map either mandated grinding on one map for ages (100+ wins on Foundry, Process, Snakewater, etc) or else were so obscurely situational that most people wouldn't ever unlock them unless they were actively trying to do so. I'm assuming that the new achievements will follow the same pattern, and if that's the case, I'd be surprised if even a quarter of the people who actually play during the Halloween event end up unlocking the achievement-based gift bundle.

Yeah, this history doesn't have me too excited for their achievement grind.

The way I've played previous Halloweens personally is just having fun and goofing around with the stupid novelty playtime, gifts are just secondary to that. People grinding out the drops with the special idling servers just contributes to cool stuff like the Exorcism spell selling for below 10c on the marketplace, which is excellent. This is confusing because Valve reckons this harms other players just trying to have fun??

All this being said I play TF2 way more than I should be at Halloween so I'll probably be earning the achievements anyway, no matter how grindy they are :shepface:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Frankly posted:

Yeah, this history doesn't have me too excited for their achievement grind.

The way I've played previous Halloweens personally is just having fun and goofing around with the stupid novelty playtime, gifts are just secondary to that. People grinding out the drops with the special idling servers just contributes to cool stuff like the Exorcism spell selling for below 10c on the marketplace, which is excellent. This is confusing because Valve reckons this harms other players just trying to have fun??

All this being said I play TF2 way more than I should be at Halloween so I'll probably be earning the achievements anyway, no matter how grindy they are :shepface:

Hey man people want to play two of the worst maps, one of which has a bad arena map tacked on the end that decides who actually wins

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'm still guessing cp_eee!gypt, since valve is on a terrible map kick for their event maps.

e: wait holy poo poo i've got it. It's a spooky remake of hydro... tc_DAMMED

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Oct 28, 2014

Frankly
Jan 7, 2013

Grapplejack posted:

Hey man people want to play two of the worst maps, one of which has a bad arena map tacked on the end that decides who actually wins

I hate regular Hightower with a passion, I'm only here to explode snipers with bat bombs while dressed as an undead squid pirate really

Event lakeside is excellent though for harassing people really keen on getting that crappy skull hat or whatever you get for killing the wizard.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Tying presents to achievements sounds like a neat idea, and it's exactly what a lot of other games do for holidays.

But then again, those games don't have to worry about Steam Achievement Manager. :sigh: People are going to cheat either way.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Grapplejack posted:

I'm still guessing cp_eee!gypt, since valve is on a terrible map kick for their event maps.

e: wait holy poo poo i've got it. It's a spooky remake of hydro... tc_DAMMED

Hydro was mentioned in the last thread and I am really hoping that's what it is. Each zone can have a different theme, come on valve!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Frankly posted:

http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=14798

TF2 Blog post on the distribution of gifts, seems like they're not too impressed with the practice of servers teleporting players to gift spawns. Instead of that this year they just want to give everyone stuff straight up, with extra stuff if they complete this year's achievements.

e: With the guiding principle that they don't care what people do in game for fun, so long as everyone's having fun.

Abyssal Squid posted:

HMM YES A LIKELY STORY AND NOT AN ATTEMPT TO STEM THE FLOOD OF FREE STUFF SO THAT PEOPLE WILL BE FORCED TO BUY IT FROM THE STORE :tinfoil:
Err... yeah? That's not actually paranoid at all?

I mean, the gift farming made sure that the holiday stuff was actually "minor" - fairly cheap and accessible for anyone who cared to get it - for quite a while. If no one could farm and everyone got their (average) five drops, then the price of halloween costumes or whatever would go through the roof.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Xander77 posted:

Err... yeah? That's not actually paranoid at all?

Jokes.

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

How many keys do those cost

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

I'm probably just super dumb but I think Valve is upfront enough to say "hey we're making changes for economic reasons" if they were making the changes primarily for economic reasons and not for gameplay reasons. Farming gifts does in fact hurt the game because it takes away servers that could be used for having fun and replaces them with idle servers, and encourages players to idle instead of playing the game (and potentially buy/play other games). Imagine new players starting up the game and running into an idle server, with invincible players teleporting around but otherwise motionless.

And seriously, the phrase "idle server" should make you feel sick to your stomach. It's a server computer that is chugging down electricity and processing an (8-year-old) AAA title in multiplayer effectively just to make counters tick up. If you can make the counters tick up client-side, it's the only ethical option.

But yeah, I'm sure they're happy about the economic changes as well.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

VALVE IS TRYING TO FREE UP SERVERS SO THEY CAN USE THEM TO MINE BITCOINS :tinfoil:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Are there any specific settings I should be messing with to see spell effects? I've got Gourd Grenades on my Loch n' Load but it's not till it explodes that it looks like the spell is working. It still fires pills.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

RareAcumen posted:

Are there any specific settings I should be messing with to see spell effects? I've got Gourd Grenades on my Loch n' Load but it's not till it explodes that it looks like the spell is working. It still fires pills.
That's all it does; it makes the explosion look pretty.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Peanut President posted:

Hydro was mentioned in the last thread and I am really hoping that's what it is. Each zone can have a different theme, come on valve!

The halloween event running a little late because of them needing more time to make hydro an actual fun map to play on would make sense.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Any ideas as to what spells to put on what weapons so that they'll be worth something in a few months?

Feats of Strength
Feb 9, 2012

Man, If god told me to sacrifice my son I'd tell
him to fuck off.
Is this an intentional reference? Am I imagining it or does A Brush with Death make the Medic look like Dr. Harold Shipman?:

I painted mine a mann's mint and ran around killing more people than I healed with a needle gun. I couldn't help but make some parallels.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Roger Explosion posted:

That's all it does; it makes the explosion look pretty.

The rocket launcher has smoke trails and I'm fairly sure it changes the rocket to so that's what I was confused about. Thanks for the clarification.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Feats of Strength posted:

Is this an intentional reference? Am I imagining it or does A Brush with Death make the Medic look like Dr. Harold Shipman?:

Yeah, those scars are obviously a reference to an English doctor.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Any ideas as to what spells to put on what weapons so that they'll be worth something in a few months?

IIRC there are only 4 weapon spells, and the only two that look good IMO are the Soldier squash rockets (purple smoke trail) and the green flames for the Pyro. The gourd grenade effect is way too subtle and the Pumpkin sentry rockets only work on level 3 sentries (which means playing as a defensive/turtling Engie and that's boring).

If you want to make money from spells, footprint spells are your best bet. The cheapest one is over a dollar and the most expensive one goes for over $5.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

IncendiaC posted:

the Pumpkin sentry rockets only work on level 3 sentries (which means playing as a defensive/turtling Engie and that's boring).
Ahaha, I put one on a gunslinger. Welp, thaaaaaaaat's Valve.

quote:

If you want to make money from spells, footprint spells are your best bet. The cheapest one is over a dollar and the most expensive one goes for over $5.
Yeah, but spells are going to expire after the 12th, so I need to bind them to some weapons - which ones have the best synergy and whatnot, is what I'm asking.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
lil tide turner horsemann is a fun gimmick. may cause immense rage on lakeside_event though.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I just want some exorcisms so I can make my weapons that gib people turn them into a cloud of ghosts too, but I keep getting pigmentation thingies.

Feats of Strength
Feb 9, 2012

Man, If god told me to sacrifice my son I'd tell
him to fuck off.

Xander77 posted:

English Doctor/most prolific serial killer in the UK

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

QwertySanchez posted:

I just want some exorcisms so I can make my weapons that gib people turn them into a cloud of ghosts too, but I keep getting pigmentation thingies.

its the cheapest one.

http://backpack.tf/classifieds?item=halloween+spell

Pickle dicker
May 25, 2014

by XyloJW

Xander77 posted:

You're talking about the fencing duels traditionally held at that German university, right?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academic_fencing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pickle dicker
May 25, 2014

by XyloJW
okay, so, it's the 29th here in Australia and there's still no comic or Halloween update or anything :ohdear:

• Locked thread