Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
Well even with a melee Athena build you'll still use guns. First, to proc the melee damage bonus, but also to shoot at fighterjets and turrets when they are too far away/located in a place where your dash will send you off the map. Also in FFYL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Chasiubao posted:

So last night I found level 30ish versions of the Celestial Gladiator and Lawbringer mods in vending machines :stare:

The Celestial Lawbringer's regen in showdown is super crazy. I've used an RL in Showdown and managed to healthgate myself and heal back to full all in the same second with a point blank firing. Also hilarious with the Nukem.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I gave up on Nisha cause I really wanted to try Athena and boy am I glad I did. I haven't figured out how to use the melee tree in TVHM yet though :( I just keep losing all my shields and life and end up in FFYL :saddowns:

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Does no one play Claptrap? :(

I think I'm skilling him properly for survivability. He definitely tanks health well, I have a point in the right tree for boosted health and shields, I have killbot to 5 for the heals per kill, and the rest is in the center tree. With class mods and skills I'm level 37 and I roll around on nearly 11k health with a 1 second Speed Shield of 2k with skills. Kills are a little slow and I get at least half my kills when I use ability, but he just refuses to ever go down at all.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Chasiubao posted:

So last night I found level 30ish versions of the Celestial Gladiator and Lawbringer mods in vending machines :stare:

Some days the RNG lets you be the pigeon, other days it's making you play the statue.

Starting the game with a lightning elemental pistol (can't recall if it was Athena or Claptrap who got it) is a pigeon day. Getting a Tediore SMG causing frequent stops for ammo in the Helios starting area is a statue day, because there aren't enough baddies to sustain my exploding reload habit.

On the other hand, the Firestarta quest reward gun is a wonderful hat-tip to The Prodigy.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 28, 2014

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

lazerwolf posted:

I always find it kind of strange to have a game so focused on bazillions of gun options that a melee build is one of the strongest for two characters.

They are merely following the path of the Brick.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Chasiubao posted:

I gave up on Nisha cause I really wanted to try Athena and boy am I glad I did. I haven't figured out how to use the melee tree in TVHM yet though :( I just keep losing all my shields and life and end up in FFYL :saddowns:

You want to be playing like Zer0 in Many Must Fall mode, bouncing from one target to the next with your melee dash. Trick is, you want to make sure you either hit someone fresh to bleed them (resetting dash skill), or you kill them outright (resetting dash skill). This will allow you to bounce around like a ping pong ball. You also have skills which do things like increased gun damage/reload and increased health regen based on how many guys are still standing but bleeding, so you want to keep a few bleeding at all times. Or, if you are going with the broken Moxxi Probe + legendary roid sheild, you can just focus on killing everything and healing from the damage done.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Slickdrac posted:

Does no one play Claptrap? :(

I think I'm skilling him properly for survivability. He definitely tanks health well, I have a point in the right tree for boosted health and shields, I have killbot to 5 for the heals per kill, and the rest is in the center tree. With class mods and skills I'm level 37 and I roll around on nearly 11k health with a 1 second Speed Shield of 2k with skills. Kills are a little slow and I get at least half my kills when I use ability, but he just refuses to ever go down at all.

Center and left tree are good, right tree is just too impractical unless you want to keep going into your menu and changing weapons.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Handsome Jack's skill tree got leaked:

http://www.evilsourcegaming.com/news/borderlands-the-pre-sequel-handsome-jack-skills/

Edit: Seems like a pet class with some swapping mechanics. Could be pretty neat.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 27, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

So did Aurelia's a bit ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fT44TYYoMU

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.

I really, REALLY can't wait to do her far right tree. That s&M tree sounds really goddamn interesting.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
The only reason an anarchy Gaige really ever needs to summon Deathtrap is to activate the Buck Up glitch. :v:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Deathtrap brutally betrayed me by healing enemies I was trying to kill in FFYL and I hate him.

Gaige is really cool, though.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Skandranon posted:

Anarchy Gaige didn't need DeathTrap at all, you could go hours without summoning him. It's the mechanics of Anarchy that made her so awesome (+ infinity damage, -infinity accuracy, +50% richochet on all bullets)

The ricochet wasn't part of the Anarchy tree, it was a top-level skill in the easy-mode tree and Anarchy was incredibly fun without it, it became an escalating risk/reward gamble where your range of engagement grew shorter as your capacity to kill quickly and move on shot through the roof- and Deathtrap made an excellent opener to send in a main route into camp while you take the flank and start working from the side inward. Anarchy without that dumb skill is so fun but everyone took it for probably the same reason people play with Cheat Engine on- because it's there and it makes the men fall down easier.

Caros
May 14, 2008

So do we have an idea when some of the DLC is coming out, and if there is anything planned in the way of raid bosses etc to add some difficulty?

I'm on my TVHM playthrough as Nisha and the game's difficulty has totally bottomed out. I found the Celestial Lawbringer mod in a vending machine and a good 30 round pistol when I hit 47, and I can't say I've had a challenge since. Zarpadon went down in a little over two seconds in both her forms, and I'm generally not even getting any use out of my second capstone special effect, because the entire room is dead before Nisha makes them explode. :(

Not expecting (or even desiring) UVHM or anything, but this has just gotten too damned easy. Maybe I ought to try again as claptrap. :negative:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

You're having such an easy time because Nisha is this game's Sal.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Genocyber posted:

You're having such an easy time because Nisha is this game's Sal.

I played Sal in Borderlands 2, and it was never quite like this. I go from nearly dead to full health in about a second of sustained fire, I don't need to aim for the head because of auto crit and my shots bounce everywhere. My biggest problem in the last hour of gameplay is that I run through pistol ammo with such alacrity that I'm actually losing money even while I'm picking up all the gear I can find.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm on Athena and it isn't really difficult at L50 TVHM either. Everything I see gets frozen, then gets a disc in the face. Only the Eternals are really being a problem, and that's just because they're spongey.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but I remember high-level TVHM as more difficult in BL2. Fun memories of being desperately crouched in a shipping crate trying to beat the last stage of the Hyperion slaughter mission.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Alain Post posted:

I'm on Athena and it isn't really difficult at L50 TVHM either. Everything I see gets frozen, then gets a disc in the face. Only the Eternals are really being a problem, and that's just because they're spongey.

Maybe I'm misremembering, but I remember high-level TVHM as more difficult in BL2. Fun memories of being desperately crouched in a shipping crate trying to beat the last stage of the Hyperion slaughter mission.

Nah, TVHM there was about the same difficulty as it is here. The arenas were one of the few exceptions to that.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Jack's Money is Power skill looks interesting. Gain stacks when you pick up money, stacks increase damage and cap at 999. Lose all stacks when you die, or when you spend money. No more topping up ammo and health at those mid-level break points, and you better be sure that item of the day is worth losing your massive damage bonus if you're going to buy it.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Jesus the baroness's cold tree looks amazing.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

wdarkk posted:

Jesus the baroness's cold tree looks amazing.

You can have your cold tree, and best of luck with it. I'll take the huntress - that looks utterly nuts, and everything Zero should have been.

I love sniping in Borderlands, and while Nisha makes it stupidly effective, it does remove some (ok, all) of the skill. Bonus damage at range though, and all the other perks...I now want this.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Yeah the Baroness looks way more interesting gameplay-wise than the Doppelganger. That sniping tree is hot.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I feel like I'm less accurate when I aim down sights than when I don't. It's weird.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Any one have a non-video breakdown of the tree, similar to the Handsome Jack ones?

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
HAY GUYS WHAT IS TEH INTERWEBNET, AND ISN'T A0L the SECKZ!? :LOL: 1337
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER
Just so everyone is aware, the Celestial Lawbringer mod is bugged and gives way too many skill points. It seems to be multiplying the skill points rather than adding them.
http://www.reddit.com/r/BorderlandsPreSequel/comments/2k8qus/celestial_lawbringer_is_bugged_adds_far_too_many/

My sham which has just about 4k capacity gets to a little more than 9k with the lawbringer.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tezzeract posted:

Handsome Jack's skill tree got leaked:

http://www.evilsourcegaming.com/news/borderlands-the-pre-sequel-handsome-jack-skills/

Edit: Seems like a pet class with some swapping mechanics. Could be pretty neat.

Hahaha holy poo poo I love it.

edit: Is there a text version of Aurelia's skill tree out there yet? I don't wanna listen to some nerd ramble on about it for half an hour.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 28, 2014

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

CJacobs posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo I love it.

I looked to see if I missed a "greatness" stack anywhere, but nope. All you get is inspiration.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
I hope it's a 5 point skill that gets better lines with more points in it, as well as being able to benefit from class mods, with extra lines that you can only hear with a class mod pushing it above 5.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Eventually there will be a torgue gun which commandeers the skill to deliver inspiration a la torgue.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Is there a link to the CE tables somewhere? Playing a 2nd character is more fun with better drop rates.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Clapping Larry

CJacobs posted:

edit: Is there a text version of Aurelia's skill tree out there yet? I don't wanna listen to some nerd ramble on about it for half an hour.

I watched a nerd ramble on.

I hate that poo poo too, but it is one of the most promising things I have seen for one of my favourite games, so here is the 'Huntress' tree:

Action Skill - Cold as Ice - throw frost diadem shard - automatically seeks out & attacks enemies dealing cryo damage (duration 21 secs, cooldown 21 secs)

T1:

Markswoman - Crit +6%, Aim Speed + 20%
Only the Best - Bullet speed +10%, Gun damage +6%

T2:

Culling the Herd - + Gun damage (8%, few seconds) with all weapons after crit

Warning Shot - + 7% Fire rate, 9% Acc, 7%Crit damage after MISSING WITH SNIPER. Also, chance for next shot to not use ammo (9%?)

Long Range Killer - Bonus damage based on distance to enemy, up to 60%

T3:

Silver Lining - Kill with crit, add a bullet to magazine (oh yeah!)

T4:

I Never Miss - Sniper rifle hits stack this up to 999 for 0.4% sniper crit bonus each (presumably damage?). Lose all stacks when you miss.

Wait for it - Miss with sniper rifle, gain .9% sniper damage per stack, up to...999. Lose all stacks on any damage with any weapon.

Magic Bullet - Sniper crits give health regen for you, based on distance (closer the better, up to 5% per sec). Also creates healing nova for other players based on distance (further the better, up to 25% max health) which also give second wind* to anyone in it.

T5:

Large Caliber - Decreased mag size (-17%), increased gun damage (+9%), all weapons

Scramble - After receiving melee damage**, +movement speed (6%), weapon swap speed (+10%), weapon damage (+7%)

Capstone:

Custom loads - When zoomed with sniper rifle, you have a timed spinny wheel thing where you get to pick an elemental type to apply to your shot, and a crit creates a nova of that type.

Can't be arsed with the other trees, that was enough :effort:

Also, I have probably made a typo or two, and there's a non-zero chance this whole thing is just a wind-up, but holy poo poo, I want OP Borderlands sniping to be a thing!

*Emergency healer-sniper FTW!

**why are you receiving melee damage?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
You're the best. Thank you for doing what I don't have the patience to do. :respek:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Are there any classes (TPS or prior Borderlands) that have a skill which boosts effectiveness of Tediore reloads?

After getting a hang for these cheap plastic grenades with triggers, I want to see if Gearbox/2K has decided to cater to Tediore enjoyment by enabling some form of built which centers around winging these things at enemies like Bruce Wayne from hell. A Gatman build based on hurling explosive gatarangs at scavs.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

Clapping Larry

FAUXTON posted:

Are there any classes (TPS or prior Borderlands) that have a skill which boosts effectiveness of Tediore reloads?

After getting a hang for these cheap plastic grenades with triggers, I want to see if Gearbox/2K has decided to cater to Tediore enjoyment by enabling some form of built which centers around winging these things at enemies like Bruce Wayne from hell. A Gatman build based on hurling explosive gatarangs at scavs.

I'm not sure that qualifies as explosive damage, but it really ought to, and if so, then Axton is your go-to choice. Any +grenade damage applies to all :torgue: explosive damage I think.

xiansi fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 28, 2014

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

I have a feeling its based on grenade damage, I specced a soldier for it in one of the earlier games I think

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

They count as grenade damage. For BL2, see if you can get ahold of the pearl Tedeore smg and use Axton.

serakyu
Jan 11, 2007

and lo, motherfuckers
So I recently hit 50 with my Riflewoman spec Nisha and my god, her damage is insane. My build combined with the "Rosie" 518% continuous cryo damage bonus laser rifle (blue quest reward, near endgame) translates into Iwajira being destroyed in roughly the time it takes for my class talent to end. Six seconds. Six seconds.

my god, the farming

EDIT: typo

serakyu fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 28, 2014

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Been testing out BL2 with guaranteed legendaries and it feels like a good baseline for how combat should be. Fun weapon effects and decent firepower makes the game more fun. Also, being underleveled by 2-3 levels can still kill you in BL2 even with all legendaries.

The default drop rates in BL2 really are that bad - I haven't seen a blue drop from a Badass unlike in TPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
For everyone complaining about drops being bad, are you all playing solo? Playing 4 player we were getting nonstop greens, lots of blues, and enough purples to keep us nicely equipped. We've had a half dozen legendary drops too.

• Locked thread