Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Stinky rabbits are very shameful. My dumbass buns smelled like sweet sugar and grass. Except when they stepped in a cecal pellet, then they smelled loving awful.

I'm 99% sure it's the cecal berries that are left lying around. It's almost as bad as the goo from expressed anal glands. The type of pellet litter the lady gave me was part of the problem too because switching to the wood stove pellets helped quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JULIAN ASSANGE
Dec 6, 2012

Julian Assange FACT:
If you unzipped my pants, you would only find more pants.
Mine only smell bad when they're having a tiff. They release some kind of angry rabbit musk. I hope that means I'm not about to find out that one of them is unspayed.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Do ruby-eyed* rabbits have any difference from regular ones aside from the color of their eyes? Any other kind of health problems, personality quirks, or anything?

*I have no idea if this is the proper term, but it's what House Rabbit Society describes them as. They're reputable, right?

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Oct 7, 2014

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Pirate Jet posted:

Do ruby-eyed* rabbits have any difference from regular ones aside from the color of their eyes? Any other kind of health problems, personality quirks, or anything?

*I have no idea if this is the proper term, but it's what House Rabbit Society describes them as. They're reputable, right?

They're not any different than a different colored rabbit of the same breed, or to make it a human analogy, they're like a person with red hair/pale skin/freckles. If anything you'll see more praise for the white fur/ruby eye rabbits having great personalities and temperaments than other breeds. But honestly I think a certain amount of that is rescues and such really trying to "market" for them since some people find the red eyes creepy and tend to steer clear of a potentially awesome bunny for a "cuter" one.

For a mostly meaningless anecdote, I've spent time with several ruby-eyed bunnies at our local rescue and they've fit that promoted stereotype of having great bunny personalities. It's probably no coincidence that the ones I've spent time with are larger breeds and the rough rule of thumb with bunnies is that the bigger breeds tend to have a more pleasant disposition.

Also it's more than fine to go with information from the House Rabbit Society. They're the biggest advocate there is for rabbits getting the same sorts of proper care that more common pets do, and an invaluable resource if you are venturing into owning a rabbit.

The337th fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Oct 7, 2014

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
My albino red-eyed bunny is an rear end in a top hat. gently caress him.

But he is also soft and cute and gets me a lot of attention when I walk him in the park.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I left my bun more or less unattended for 5 days. A friend came in on day three to re-fill the food and water. I expected to come back to a destroyed room. Nope, not even one stain on the bed. I got a good bun.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Mom was making apple cake the other day, Ella got an apple peel to nibble. It's adorable because the peel is in one long string, and Ella eats it like spaghetti.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKaJZ9EdOes

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Suspect Bucket posted:

Mom was making apple cake the other day, Ella got an apple peel to nibble. It's adorable because the peel is in one long string, and Ella eats it like spaghetti.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKaJZ9EdOes

OHMYGOD! That is so freaking ADORABLE! Thank you for sharing that video! awwwwwww

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

The337th posted:

They're not any different than a different colored rabbit of the same breed, or to make it a human analogy, they're like a person with red hair/pale skin/freckles. If anything you'll see more praise for the white fur/ruby eye rabbits having great personalities and temperaments than other breeds. But honestly I think a certain amount of that is rescues and such really trying to "market" for them since some people find the red eyes creepy and tend to steer clear of a potentially awesome bunny for a "cuter" one.

For a mostly meaningless anecdote, I've spent time with several ruby-eyed bunnies at our local rescue and they've fit that promoted stereotype of having great bunny personalities. It's probably no coincidence that the ones I've spent time with are larger breeds and the rough rule of thumb with bunnies is that the bigger breeds tend to have a more pleasant disposition.

Also it's more than fine to go with information from the House Rabbit Society. They're the biggest advocate there is for rabbits getting the same sorts of proper care that more common pets do, and an invaluable resource if you are venturing into owning a rabbit.

Awesome, I am perfectly fine with owning a ruby-eyed rabbit if the only difference is in appearance. I'm still doing research on the subject and honestly it doesn't look like I'll have the resources to support a rabbit, but maybe a few years in the future, right?

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Do not put rocks in brain.
I have the pleasure of a short-term foster of these lovely ladies..so there are four flemmies in my house right now.

Temporary setup -- I moved them to behind a door real quick. Buns do not like other buns.

Cuddling.

Invader Mat
Aug 16, 2012
Got home from work and went in to take what I thought would be a totally :3: photo of my bun rubbing his face against sign we have set up.

A bit different than the picture I had in mind

Rodent Mortician
Mar 17, 2009

SQUEAK.

Pirate Jet posted:

Awesome, I am perfectly fine with owning a ruby-eyed rabbit if the only difference is in appearance. I'm still doing research on the subject and honestly it doesn't look like I'll have the resources to support a rabbit, but maybe a few years in the future, right?

If you've got a rescue or shelter near you that deals with bunnies, you could volunteer to foster. Typically they'll cover vet expenses, and some will cover food. So you get to play with bunnies and help bunnies!

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Laser bun!

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

The new buns are settling in just fine. I haven't had an issue with the cecals since the third day, which is pretty nice because the smell was getting to me. They are slowly accepting the lack of pellets and increased hay, although the boy will not eat any veggies that I have seen. I'm a bit concerned about that, and surprised since he mimics his mom with almost everything else.

The vet visit last week was a trip. They checked out healthy, slightly overweight but not enough to be a major concern yet. I had the techs trim up the claws because I was worried about hitting the quicks. Since I hadn't been able to pick them up much, I had no idea how bad the claws were. The front claws on the mom were over an inch on some toes. One had actually begun to curl. It was so gross. I'm not sure how she was actively running around on those without pain. When trimming the boys claws, he jerked his paw and the entire nail on one toe came off leaving just the quick exposed. He was bleeding everywhere. The tech was more traumatized than he was, and we were sent home with medication just in case. I've been watching all week and you'd never know it happened the way he bounces everywhere and digs in the litter boxes.

Other than that, they are settling in nicely. They keep finding new way to get out of the enclosure which my old buns never had issues with. I think these two are just extra curious and interested in exploring.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
My bun loves her craisins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij67r0pYz20

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I just got Jean Pierre neutered, he came home about an hour ago. He seems to be doing ok, except hes making this hiccuping sound (almost a chirp?) every now and then. My guess was maybe pain is making him do this? Poor little buns :(

Here's a picture of Jean Pierre yesterday before his manhood was tampered with.

IMG_3132 by francography, on Flickr

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Is it like a weird nasally snorty grunt? That's the 'mildly annoyed bunny' noise.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

somnambulist posted:

I just got Jean Pierre neutered, he came home about an hour ago. He seems to be doing ok, except hes making this hiccuping sound (almost a chirp?) every now and then. My guess was maybe pain is making him do this? Poor little buns :(

Here's a picture of Jean Pierre yesterday before his manhood was tampered with.

IMG_3132 by francography, on Flickr

If he was in pain he'd be hiding from you.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Well hes currently shredding paper and running through the tube in his XPen. So hes probably doing pretty good. I can tell hes kind of dragging his hind legs so hes probably in a bit of discomfort but hes not hiding, so thats good.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Taking Charlie for his 2 year check up today, oh man he can tell something is up and is being so skeptical of us.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Chompsky's fur is getting extremely long. She is really fluffing up. Its weird, I don't remember this happenng last year when it was getting cool out.

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013
Simba has acquired a taste for our clothing. And my toes. Bunny bites hurt like the dickens.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Haha! I'm on a flight now from JAX to JFK, and guess who I was sitting next to in the lounge? A lady with a newly adopted house rabbit, flying home with it, who grew up in my town, and graduated from my school 30 years before me. Has a condo in Mandarin, and her son runs a big cat rescue in Orlando. I got pics of the flying bun, will post once we land.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Mr Confetti posted:

Simba has acquired a taste for our clothing. And my toes. Bunny bites hurt like the dickens.

The toe nipping is actually a sign of affection.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
AFter moving my new roomie in, I have leftovers boxes, and decided to build Stately Bun Manor

Harriet liked it so much, she chewed a hole in the side to hide underneath it. In the Bun Cave.....

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx

Mr Confetti posted:

Oh many, sometimes when I'm giving Chompskey a treat, I'll keep holding on to it while she's trying to eat it, so she hast to kind of bite through it or pull it from my grasp. More than once she has bitten the tip of my finger trying to wrestle a craisin from my fingertips, and yes, they do hurt quite a bit.

Those of you who have built your own cage, how do you latch your cage shut? I built the cage out of nic cubes, but don't really have anything to keep it shut while I'm gone, so I usually just zip tie the last square shut for the day while I'm at work and cut it open when I get home.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Flying rabbit!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

Flying rabbit!

Poor bun musta been terrified

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Suspect Bucket posted:

Flying rabbit!

So few airlines actually let you take them these days.

boberteatskitten
Jan 30, 2013

Do not put rocks in brain.

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

Those of you who have built your own cage, how do you latch your cage shut? I built the cage out of nic cubes, but don't really have anything to keep it shut while I'm gone, so I usually just zip tie the last square shut for the day while I'm at work and cut it open when I get home.

Either those clips like you would see at the end of a leash or a binder ring work well enough, though your bun size tolerance is likely smaller than mine.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

Plastic spring loaded clamps from a dollar store. Worked perfectly.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

bunnyofdoom posted:

Poor bun musta been terrified

She seemed fine. Was bright and curious, flopped out for a nap on the flight.

Jet Blue is awesome.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Suspect Bucket posted:

She seemed fine. Was bright and curious, flopped out for a nap on the flight.

Jet Blue is awesome.

I wish they'd change their official policy then, because I'd hate to plan on taking a rabbit but get a rule stickler. Luckily my rabbits are too big for under-seat carriers anyway so its a moot point.

JetBlue's Website posted:

We only accept small cats and dogs as pets in the aircraft cabin onboard our flights

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Trabisnikof posted:

I wish they'd change their official policy then, because I'd hate to plan on taking a rabbit but get a rule stickler. Luckily my rabbits are too big for under-seat carriers anyway so its a moot point.

Its a designer french munchkinkatte, do you have any idea how expensive it is to get ears this long?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

The Bun Knight leaps into action out of Bun Manor to confront her archnemesis, the dreaded Vacuum Cleaner!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

You are being stalked by a specter of death, fyi. Try beating him in a riddle contest.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Can anyone suggest a suitable hay manger or something in the order of hay wrangling? For my last rabbit I'd just put some in a large dish as well as to one side of one of her litter boxes and she was fine with that. My current two are idiots and can't figure out how to not flip over the dishes and make a huge mess all over the cage floor. I love them, but they hate my free time. I've tried a cardboard box, this thing and dishes. I also can't have anything that hangs on the cage because Eeyore is an acrobat and has climbed out before. Any suggestions are appreciated!

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Windy posted:

Can anyone suggest a suitable hay manger or something in the order of hay wrangling? For my last rabbit I'd just put some in a large dish as well as to one side of one of her litter boxes and she was fine with that. My current two are idiots and can't figure out how to not flip over the dishes and make a huge mess all over the cage floor. I love them, but they hate my free time. I've tried a cardboard box, this thing and dishes. I also can't have anything that hangs on the cage because Eeyore is an acrobat and has climbed out before. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Have you tried punching a few small holes in the side of a cardboard box and zip-tying it to the bars of the cage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

They chew up the the cardboard and then pull all the hay out.