Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Razzled posted:

So I just finished watching toradora and man, if there's one egregious thing that was wrong with that show it was near the end where Takasu
gets mad and says some Real poo poo to his mom. I thought that was kind of hosed up considering how much right she did by him despite the way her life kind of unfolded. And he never really ever said sorry either!

Whatevs though, the show was pretty meh overall

I enjoyed a good chuck of Toradora, but some parts, especially at the end, were kind of hosed up and/or really dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

toradora is good and you would need to be some kind of monster not to find the last episode almost too cute

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Also I will start watching the first anime that someone recommends to me on Crunchyroll, as long as I haven't seen it, no questions asked.

once in a life time opportunity here

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cake Attack posted:

Also I will start watching the first anime that someone recommends to me on Crunchyroll, as long as I haven't seen it, no questions asked.

RWBY. Have fun with that :v:.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Blast of Tempest, if you wisely choose to ignore Neddy

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

RWBY. Have fun with that :v:.

It was understood that I would only watch good anime

that said i'm a man of my word, i'll post my thoughts shortly

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cake Attack posted:

It was understood that I would only watch good anime

that said i'm a man of my word, i'll post my thoughts shortly

You knew exactly what would happen when you didn't specify it had to be good :colbert:.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

this looks like an FMV from a PS1 game

also the "dude slams book shut" soundeffect sounds like a gunshot

Blhue posted:

Blast of Tempest, if you wisely choose to ignore Neddy

seen it, unfortunately

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

As far as I can tell we just mugged a bookstore owner

i feel having not seen season one i'm missing out on understanding the rich and complicated world of RWBY

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Cake Attack posted:

Kyousougiga. You're welcome.

If you've already seen it, you should watch it again anyways.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

Otome Yokai Zakuro.
http://www.crunchyroll.com/otome-yokai-zakuro

Am I too late? Watch it anyway. :colbert:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I want you to know that you got lucky with RWBY, Cake Attack. I was going to make you witness the majestic awfulness that is Cross Ange, but it seems Crunchyroll isn't Simulcasting it.

Which is for the best. Don't watch it. Not even out of curiosity.

Redcrimson posted:

Kyousougiga.

Too late Red, I'm making him suffer through RWBY.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I want you to know that you got lucky with RWBY, Cake Attack. I was going to make you witness the majestic awfulness that is Cross Ange, but it seems Crunchyroll isn't Simulcasting it.

That's just mean

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Rahwubby isn't real anime :colbert:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GorfZaplen posted:

That's just mean

Neddy Seagoon posted:

[He] knew exactly what would happen when [he] didn't specify it had to be good :colbert:.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I admire RWBY

we all wanted to make an anime when we were 14, but they did it for real. What dreams of mine have I accomplished?

I expected a bad show, but instead I got a long hard look at my own self.

A+, would recommend.

Anyway, as RWBY is anime in spirit, but not true anime - which much like Hanzo steel can only be forged in Japan - I'll watch Kyousousiga instead

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Mercrom posted:

A teenager said bad things to his mom and another teenager got in a fight? :captainpop:

It's kinda ridiculous sometimes but the writing is decent, and it's the best rom com anime I've seen. It manages to be funny without just being fluff. I've enjoyed other romantic comedies like Lovely Complex, Nodame Cantabile and I even kinda enjoyed Kimi ni Todoke, but those things are just 100% pure unadulterated fluff.

gently caress anyone who doesn't enjoy Kimi ni Todoke, for real. I actually started rewatching it all yesterday after I came across the opening theme again.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Cake Attack posted:

we all wanted to make an anime when we were 14, but they did it for real. What dreams of mine have I accomplished?

Did someone mention Xin?
http://youtu.be/EX2nsgu8L68

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Captain Invictus posted:

Fuuuuuuck, I thought Dorohedoro had finished already, but apparently there's one volume not yet published, and I just hit chapter 127. I've not bought the series yet, but it's definitely on my list of "series to buy when I have the cash" because poo poo, Dorohedoro is fantastic.

I think one of my favorite aspects of the latter parts of the series is (major spoilers)Nikaido's transformation and her antics related to it. I'm not one for fanservice normally, but this artist draws it really well and it never hangs around for too long, often being used in humorous ways as well(Nikaido's idea of a devilish outfit, for example). There's something about devil-entranced Nikaido's EXTREMELY HAPPY FACE that makes me laugh at almost every panel she's in. I'm actually glad she's the "main" character and not Kaiman, as happy as I am to see him make his inevitable return. Jonson is also a surprisingly solid character even without any backstory to speak of, and seeing Lil' Baby Jonson in one of Nikaido's time jumps was adorable :3:. My biggest complaint might be that there was a fairly long period where it dragged with all the poo poo about Risu/The Boss/Aikawa but that's come to a head(or multiple :v:) and I'm really curious as to what'll happen in the finale.

Honestly my biggest issue/fear is that I am really unsure of how the author will tie up everything they've set up nice and neat with a bow on top in a single volume including epilogue for this long-running series. I mean, it's the final showdown, sure, but I feel like we're still going to get at least one or two more exposition dumps which will likely take up a chapter or two on their own.

Quoting this from uh 3 months ago I guess but good news!

I'm sure everyone knew about this already but I'm extremely relieved that this fantastic story will actually get an ending, eventually :)

Pierce_The_Heavens
Feb 7, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So exactly how bad is Cross Ange? I have a morbid curiosity and I'm really considering picking it up. I think I might just wait and drunkenly binge watch it once it ends.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Pierce_The_Heavens posted:

So exactly how bad is Cross Ange? I have a morbid curiosity and I'm really considering picking it up. I think I might just wait and drunkenly binge watch it once it ends.

Sunrise is acting like an annoying kid, constantly yelling "Look at me! Look at me!" Do NOT look at Sunrise's desperate attempt for attention. There's no need to watch the worst of the 3 Sunrise mecha shows of the season.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I am going to say this in as simple a way as possible, encapsulating the entire sphere of it in an easy-to-understand response. No.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

I'm gonna be contrarian here and say that Cross Ange is fascinatingly bad. It's gross, nonsensical, mean-spirited, and ridiculously loving tryhard. If someone told me that Cross Ange was an attempt by killer robot aliens to emulate human entertainment, I wouldn't even question it. If you want a show to lampoon for being awful in pretty much every conceivable way, Cross Ange is a solid contender.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

It starts with rape and things degenerate from there. Do Not Watch

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Listen: If you want to drunk watch/binge a fanservice-heavy show, watch Highschool of the Dead. For all its faults, it was an honestly fun, dumb ride, especially back when I wasn't sick to death of zombies. If you want to see something somewhat exploitative but way more fun, watch Black Lagoon. The love that both the mangaka and Madhouse obviously have for old-school (and not-so old) action movies is palpable.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

HotD is amazing and it's poo poo garbage that they haven't done another season yet.

[IIRC it was done just as an ad for the manga, but then the manga went on a hiatus right after so I dunno]

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Oct 28, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

RabidWeasel posted:

Quoting this from uh 3 months ago I guess but good news!

I'm sure everyone knew about this already but I'm extremely relieved that this fantastic story will actually get an ending, eventually :)

yesssssssss

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

GorfZaplen posted:

It starts with rape and things degenerate from there. Do Not Watch

I was all like "this look pretty trashy" and then like "that was literally a huge erection in the OP. Like a fully erect mans penis. WTF" And then it was gross. And then the next episode preview tried to be winking and self referential about it and it was incredibly insulting.

CONTEXT: This made me feel grosser than the first Queens Blade episode.

Pierce_The_Heavens
Feb 7, 2014
Man, I don't think I've ever seen such an outright negative response about a show. I feel like I have to watch it.

I will have to get back on the Build Fighters train first though. If it's anywhere as fun and endearing as the first season I recommend anyone wth even a passing liking of the Gundam franchise watch it.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Don't watch Cross Ange you loving idiots. If you want a trainwreck to watch try Valrave.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

The Devil Tesla posted:

Don't watch Cross Ange you loving idiots. If you want a trainwreck to watch try Valrave.

This, except only the first season because that one is actually entertaining. The second one is just so massively boring and a waste of anyone's time.

rvm
May 6, 2013
Cross Ange, I'm not even sure what kind of target audience did they have in mind making this. You probably heard a lot of awful things that are in it and they are indeed present, yet it manages somehow to be, above all else, extremely boring. Not worth your time, period. Watch silly twin-tails sentai instead.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Just watch Twintails, it's hilarious!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Hell yeah, really happy about this. Dorohedoro is amazing. I really need to start reading some of the other series from that magazine, since the editors clearly have pretty good taste.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I started watching Sket Dance. I'm having a lot of fun with it. It's not overly silly, but it has a lot of funny moments and nice characters.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

The Devil Tesla posted:

Hmm yes, don't watch this lovely rape anime you morons, watch THIS lovely rape anime. Agreed.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
Man, you have 1 rape scene in 1 episode of 24 and you're known as a 'rape anime'. Okay....

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Uznare posted:

This, except only the first season because that one is actually entertaining. The second one is just so massively boring and a waste of anyone's time.

This is true, but at the same time you are denying everyone the wonders of the space vampire alien body snatching illuminati

Cross Ange talk: both the first episode and the second episode have rape scenes. There are back to back rape episodes. Just one was enough to make everyone jump off the Valvrave train, and Cross Ange starts off with two.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Insurrectionist posted:

Hmm yes, don't watch this lovely rape anime you morons, watch THIS lovely rape anime. Agreed.

Not to let Valrave completely off the hook, but there is a world of difference between Cross Ange's handling of rape and Valraves. In the former it's used to punish a woman for being snotty, in the latter it's frightening and ties into themes of body horror and exploitation. It is justifiably infamous because it was unexpected and bizarre, not because it is frighteningly misogynistic in the way Cross Ange is.

It creeps out enough people for no good reason that I don't usually recommend the show, but if someone is stupid enough to consider watching Cross Ange I think Valrave is fine for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Stall_19 posted:

Man, you have 1 rape scene in 1 episode of 24 and you're known as a 'rape anime'. Okay....

Handling the subject matter incredibly poorly is also a good way to get that label.

• Locked thread