Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
This is probably the nerdiest derail I've ever seen, and I post in the Homestuck thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

by exmarx
Doctor Who apparently needs some sort of MST3K style "it's just a show, relax" disclaimer at the opening. I've been watching this show for years, I've even watched some of the early stuff before it was canceled. Every tread I've ever seen on here has been a bunch of making GBS threads on absolutely everything, back handed compliments on the perfect episodes. Like, before Kill The Moon I saw bitching that the new series never deals with the philosophical questions created by time travel. Then all you did was poo poo on Kill The Moon because of consistency reasons. If you're sober enough to care about that poo poo you're too sober because like MST3K this poo poo is best viewed high or drunk because it's a British children's drama. Just because it's live action doesn't mean it's held to the same high regard as whatever it is constructive adults watch in the prime time slot.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

dogs named Charlie posted:

Doctor Who apparently needs some sort of MST3K style "it's just a show, relax" disclaimer at the opening. I've been watching this show for years, I've even watched some of the early stuff before it was canceled. Every tread I've ever seen on here has been a bunch of making GBS threads on absolutely everything, back handed compliments on the perfect episodes. Like, before Kill The Moon I saw bitching that the new series never deals with the philosophical questions created by time travel. Then all you did was poo poo on Kill The Moon because of consistency reasons. If you're sober enough to care about that poo poo you're too sober because like MST3K this poo poo is best viewed high or drunk because it's a British children's drama. Just because it's live action doesn't mean it's held to the same high regard as whatever it is constructive adults watch in the prime time slot.

I think all of the making GBS threads-on is just due to the fact that Who is a show with 30-some seasons under its belt, so whenever a good episode comes out, everyone who has stuck with the series through its "classic" era can go, "well, that was okay, but it's no [insert old episode here]."

And yeah, while I don't agree with the whole "kids' show" categorization (it's a family show), I do agree that it's not a show to take seriously. Gaze too closely and the cracks start to really show. Just sit back, relax, and enjoy the giant moon eggs and dinosaurs in Victorian London.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Just because it's live action doesn't mean it's held to the same high regard as whatever it is constructive adults watch in the prime time slot.
Except that is Doctor Who, at least in my country.

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

by exmarx
Tell me more about the 70s :allears:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Devil Wears Wings posted:

I think all of the making GBS threads-on is just due to the fact that Who is a show with 30-some seasons under its belt, so whenever a good episode comes out, everyone who has stuck with the series through its "classic" era can go, "well, that was okay, but it's no [insert old episode here]."

Now that's just crazy! We old-school fans aren't obsessed with proving the perfection of the original run...

After the War posted:

Well, Blink was okay, but it's no Horns of Nimon!

...you may be on to something.

Isn't it funny, though, that people only call it a "kid's show" after lovely episodes but never after ones people like? "Vincent and the Doctor faces the issue of depression both directly and metaphorically, but it doesn't matter because it's just a kid's show so we shouldn't think about it."

(My original choice was going to be Dalek Invasion of Earth, but then I realized how much I would just be proving your first point.)

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

by exmarx
Vincent was only emotionally groundbreaking if you're a high school art student with a fursona. It was a touching bit of TV and a fun ride with an invisible monster, but was anyone really calling for Saturn/Emmy/Hugo awards?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Vincent was only emotionally groundbreaking if you're a high school art student with a fursona. It was a touching bit of TV and a fun ride with an invisible monster, but was anyone really calling for Saturn/Emmy/Hugo awards?

So you're saying I should have gone with my original plan and done Creature From the Pit?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

People like some episodes of the long-running television show but not others and have a tendency to disagree on which episodes or even parts of the episodes they liked or disliked. They then discuss those things, sometimes disagreeing over them. I hope this clears things up for you.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Tell me more about the 70s :allears:

It only averages out to be a few decades behind; in some areas we're much worse.

Who is still definitely a family / all-ages show though.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Why the hell are you people discussing this show, in the thread devoted to it on the television forum?!

-dogs named charlie

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

by exmarx
The show is fun to watch. Most post in these threads utterly poo poo on the episode and then spooge over some poo poo that happened when my dad was a kid. I was planning to gimmick post "I thought the episode was good" for a while but there's only two episodes left in the season so I figured I would go ahead and say it. AV Club is pretty much right, the show is fun, smoke more weed before you watch children's shows.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The show is fun to watch. Most post in these threads utterly poo poo on the episode and then spooge over some poo poo that happened when my dad was a kid. I was planning to gimmick post "I thought the episode was good" for a while but there's only two episodes left in the season so I figured I would go ahead and say it. AV Club is pretty much right, the show is fun, smoke more weed before you watch children's shows.

Most people have liked the last three episodes though, me included. Some did not. I'm watching the newest one now so I cannot comment on it yet. You don't have to like every episode. You can even admit some of them are bad, even if they get slightly better after smoking or drinking.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

Most people have liked the last three episodes though, me included. Some did not. I'm watching the newest one now so I cannot comment on it yet. You don't have to like every episode. You can even admit some of them are bad, even if they get slightly better after smoking or drinking.

Yeah, the reaction to the season has been fairly positive here, and especially to the Mummy and Flatline episodes.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

If you need to be intoxicated before watching a kids show to enjoy it, it's a pretty lovely show.

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

by exmarx
I've seen people complaining that episodes don't make sense. Doctor Who episodes, not making sense. This very episode there was complaining about there not being people on the streets. Would you have liked more bewildered bumbling Englishmen wandering around in bathrobes? Who care's what animals are actually in the London Zoo? I'm not making an argument for drugs, I'm making an argument for suspension of disbelief and letting Doctor Who make zero sense if it wants to. It's not about the philosophical point it makes, because that can be unmade next season. Inviting comparisons to stuff from decades past is asinine, you may was well compare it to the other works of scifi that have explored the same topics.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I've seen people complaining that episodes don't make sense. Doctor Who episodes, not making sense. This very episode there was complaining about there not being people on the streets.
It's not some point of arcane esoterica that London has a lot of people living in it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I've seen people complaining that episodes don't make sense. Doctor Who episodes, not making sense. This very episode there was complaining about there not being people on the streets. Would you have liked more bewildered bumbling Englishmen wandering around in bathrobes? Who care's what animals are actually in the London Zoo? I'm not making an argument for drugs, I'm making an argument for suspension of disbelief and letting Doctor Who make zero sense if it wants to. It's not about the philosophical point it makes, because that can be unmade next season. Inviting comparisons to stuff from decades past is asinine, you may was well compare it to the other works of scifi that have explored the same topics.

What of people like me, who object simply to the message that certain children WILL take from this children's show?

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

by exmarx

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's not some point of arcane esoterica that London has a lot of people living in it.
The show has no time for more bathrobe wearing idots, and it's not age appropriate to see them torn apart by wolves. Or looting/raping/other poo poo that would realistically happen six hours after a forest prevented cops form coming close. Maybe, if the episodes were set weeks after the forest, there could have been a new London wood culture with cool ranger dudes. But we did cool english woodsman already this season.

Burkion posted:

What of people like me, who object simply to the message that certain children WILL take from this children's show?
Oh no, maybe now it'll be difficult to get schizophrenic children to take their pills. They might resist authority and think the voices are real. This is a new problem, never before encountered. I'm sure this problem will explode exponentially, and can be tracked and proven when the episode is reaired.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Oh no, maybe now it'll be difficult to get schizophrenic children to take their pills. They might resist authority and think the voices are real. This is a new problem, never before encountered. I'm sure this problem will explode exponentially, and can be tracked and proven when the episode is reaired.

Hey man. Shut the gently caress up. People are allowed to have opinions about things.

Anyway, I saw the latest episode. I wasn't a big fan of the magic tree balloon because it was a bit boring, but I enjoyed the Coal Hill Crew, including all of the children. I like Danny more and more each episode. I think the thing about the pills was probably more meant as a comment about stifling imagination in the schools and it was just a bit botched and insensitive because it specifically dealt with audible hallucinations, which are a real thing that people experience.

edit: the preview though, arrrrrgh!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

As a piece of children's entertainment, this show has a duty to be one thing. Only one.

Not entertaining, not well written, not even good-

It has a duty to not be harmful.

This episode is potentially VERY harmful because yes, dickhead, mentally ill kids DO have trouble taking their medicine AS IT IS, and *WILL* take any excuse, even if they don't really BELIEVE IT, to skip out on them.

And the results are almost never pretty.

So, in short, gently caress you, gently caress your attitude, and go gently caress yourself.

Pick any other episode, I will give it to you.

lovely science doesn't matter, but when you start throwing in things that impressionable people WILL take to heart? You have problems. Actual problems.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The show has no time for more bathrobe wearing idots, and it's not age appropriate to see them torn apart by wolves. Or looting/raping/other poo poo that would realistically happen six hours after a forest prevented cops form coming close. Maybe, if the episodes were set weeks after the forest, there could have been a new London wood culture with cool ranger dudes. But we did cool english woodsman already this season.
Setting a story in a city and having it be essentially empty of people is weird to the point that it's actually an interesting concept in its own right.

Finding out halfway through the episode that most of London had been off literally with the fairies (and that the school group was only left because of Maebh) wouldn't have felt out of place at all.

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

by exmarx
Yeah those are good points and valid complaints.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

smoke more weed before you...

The inevitable mantra of the idiot. Rest of the post was crap too, you didn't see to many people making GBS threads over the previous two episodes.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

marktheando posted:

I enjoyed that quite a lot, despite how ridiculous the whole thing was. The Doctor, Clara and Danny trio works really well.
If it were Doctor, Clara, and Danny Trejo, that would have saved the episode.

Astroman posted:

:clint: When I was a kid we just made our OWN Doctor Who legos. I had a TARDIS exterior, console room set, and Daleks.
Yeah... When I was a kid.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Burkion posted:

As a piece of children's entertainment, this show has a duty to be one thing. Only one.

Not entertaining, not well written, not even good-

It has a duty to not be harmful.

This episode is potentially VERY harmful because yes, dickhead, mentally ill kids DO have trouble taking their medicine AS IT IS, and *WILL* take any excuse, even if they don't really BELIEVE IT, to skip out on them.

I do think it was an insensitive mistake rather than some intentional attempt at a comment about over-prescription or anything, though. There's an extent to which the same criticism could be leveled at Harvey, and they're both trying to say the same thing: that the world tries to police different people it perceives as not being "useful" instead of supporting their differences. In particular, I like that the Doctor apologizes and admits he was wrong for failing to listen to her.

It is a shame they chose to make their point specifically with pills for hallucinations though. Someone should have done a bit of quick research and a quick rewrite.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Burkion posted:

I think you'll find it's not actually a children's show. :goonsay:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Just got to the end of episode 3 of Unit: Dominion. Doesn't matter that I knew the twist going in. Didn't matter it was incredibly obvious from the get-go anyway. When episode 3 ends with,"Hello you :smug:" I got the biggest grin on my face. My God that was good :allears:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Jerusalem posted:

Just got to the end of episode 3 of Unit: Dominion. Doesn't matter that I knew the twist going in. Didn't matter it was incredibly obvious from the get-go anyway. When episode 3 ends with,"Hello you :smug:" I got the biggest grin on my face. My God that was good :allears:

I wish Big Finish was as popular as the TV series so that I could get a dumb "HELLO YOU" shirt on teefury or some poo poo.

And, of course, I was actually shocked by the reveal when I first heard it... almost exactly two years ago, now.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I look forward to Occ getting to Vincent and the Doctor in the reviews... especially in comparison to the Shakespeare/Dickens/Christie episodes.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

thexerox123 posted:

I look forward to Occ getting to Vincent and the Doctor in the reviews... especially in comparison to the Shakespeare/Dickens/Christie episodes.

If he gives a single episode an A+, it'll be Vincent. And he won't be totally wrong.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

If he gives a single episode an A+, it'll be Vincent. And he won't be totally wrong.

If he thought The Unicorn and the Wasp dealt with the uncertain nature of artistic legacies poignantly... Vincent and the Doctor hits that note so beautifully.

Edit: And now I feel the need to rewatch it. At like 2:30 am. 4 minutes in and I'm already remembering how delightful this episode is as Matt Smith and Bill Nighy compliment each other's bowties.

And the commentary on mental health in this episode is quite the contrast to this week's.

Oh man. I didn't know that Moffat was able to talk Richard Curtis into writing it based on the fact that they were both involved in making The Curse of Fatal Death. Haha.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Oct 28, 2014

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

"HELLO YOU"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I've seen people complaining that episodes don't make sense. Doctor Who episodes, not making sense. This very episode there was complaining about there not being people on the streets. Would you have liked more bewildered bumbling Englishmen wandering around in bathrobes?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
My biggest issue with Forest is that it clearly thinks of certain things that would've helped it, it just doesn't do them.

It clearly knows that it can, and perhaps even should, be doing something with the public's response to the forest, but it stops at having a mum look for her daughter.
It knows that one of the repercussions of the forest would be that something like a zoo would be ruined, and that that's a good source of drama. But it only thinks about that for one scene before forgetting about it.
It knows that the biggest 'villain' it has is the government's attempts to clear-cut the forest, but it only puts enough into that to make us aware that they're doing it, and doesn't bother to explore that whatsoever.

So it sidelines all of these concepts, that it's clearly at least considered. But it doesn't focus on something worthwhile in their stead; the episode mostly just consists of people walking through a forest and not really doing much of anything. I barely remember any scenes in the episode that weren't the single appearances of those concepts, and I' pretty sure that's because nothing happened in them.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Was at a home decor store yesterday.

Oh, the things you can see at a home decor store.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Gonz posted:

Was there any desert paintings on the nearby walls?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

RodShaft posted:

Was there any desert paintings on the nearby walls?

I didn't look. However, the store itself is IN a desert. Does that count?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Gonz posted:

So who sues at this point? Is it the BBC or the London Metropolitan Police?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

qntm posted:

So who sues at this point? Is it the BBC or the London Metropolitan Police?

The BBC have official ownership of that style of police box, but I'm pretty sure they aren't too harsh on this sort of infringement.

• Locked thread