Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

A good interview with Filoni that explains Luminara's appearance http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/10/28/star-wars-rebels-dave-filoni-on-the-luminara-twist-in-rise-of-the-old-masters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

So Kanan and Ezra see the holorecording of her execution? It's a term that has been parroted about in the thread, but that's so goddamn dark, especially when you realize that she's so broken as to willingly step into her own coffin :stare:

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 28, 2014

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Cross-Section posted:

edit: Tangentially related, but the legendary X-Wing and TIE Fighter are getting a PC re-release; they'll be available to buy from GOG.com tomorrow! :dance:

gently caress.YES:getin:

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Great interview! I'm guessing the question Filoni had for Lucas was "Would Ahsoka be able to sense that Vader is Anakin?"

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

DancinBrud posted:

Great interview! I'm guessing the question Filoni had for Lucas was "Would Ahsoka be able to sense that Vader is Anakin?"

I am sure most people know that Darth Vader is Anakin, the real question is what does she do about it?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Cross-Section posted:

Hera's background is kind of weird in that sense; A New Dawn establishes that she has an innate gift for judging people's personalities, in addition to her unnaturally good piloting abilities (she also already has the Ghost when she is introduced). She also pretty much unconditionally accepts Kanan when it's revealed that he used to be a Jedi. Though all of these qualities can be attributed to other contexts, I still wouldn't be surprised if such a plot point occurred.

Is that book good? I'm expecting not, but I like the show so much I'm actually legit interested.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

tin can made man posted:

Who's to say he wouldn't be happy rising to the rank of Grand Inquisitor (if the Imperial Inquisitorius is still a thing in this brave new canon)? Not every dark side adept strove to be a Sith. Some did, surely, and if that was The Inquisitor's goal and he was knowledgeable enough on Sith lore to covet the position, he would probably just assume that he has to prove himself worthy to be Vader's apprentice. Sith Apprentices and potentials aren't told "there are only two Sith, so you gotta wait in line"; they're told "there are only two Sith, so help me kill the old one and I'll let you be my #2".

Hence I said 'unless Vader decides he's gonna take a swing at Palpatine', because the opportunity is there then. Otherwise, the Inquisitor seems to be something of a standalone figure, given he's also been referred to as the Inquisitor...

Though there'd be a thought. Imagine a bunch of these fellows with no name and identity, and what the heck you'd have to do to stand out. If there is a Grand Inquisitor position, it'd be interesting to see people vying for it.

Cross-Section posted:

So Kanan and Ezra see the holorecording of her execution? It's a term that has been parroted about in the thread, but that's so goddamn dark, especially when you realize that she's so broken as to willingly step into her own coffin :stare:

I thought it was her spirit of something, but that actually makes it all the worse. She probably sat there, hoping for the kind of rescue that Kanan (and others before him) actually tried to attempt. Hell, maybe its because of those that she finally just gave it all up. Plus I like how he views the issue of sensing in the 'verse, and how people sometimes misuse it.

Edit: As to whether or not people know Anakin = Vader, that's a question that was inconsistently answered in the EU, and we'll probably have to wait and see on what the new canon has to say. For all we know, Palpatine declared him dead along with all the other Jedi, and then announced his personal Hand out of nowhere Darth Vader the next day. Or he put it up on every poster to showcase Anakin's loyalty to the State. The new novel will probably give us our first clue.

Astro Nut fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Oct 28, 2014

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Hakkesshu posted:

Is that book good? I'm expecting not, but I like the show so much I'm actually legit interested.

It's quite good for a tie-in prequel novel, so much to the extent that I was slightly let down by the show's relatively trite characterization of Kanan and Hera compared to the book. Really adds layers to those guys if you go for A New Dawn first, though, outside of that aspect, it's a really entertaining portent of the show's adventurous though easy-going tone.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Craptacular! posted:

Disney has never been shy about hiring James Earl Jones to say a Vader line or two, even just one-liners for commercials played in theme park hotel rooms.

I'm almost positive that's not him.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think it sounds so off because the dialogue is so clunky, but it sounds like JEJ to me. But it doesn't sound like Darth Vader.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

feedmyleg posted:

I think it sounds so off because the dialogue is so clunky, but it sounds like JEJ to me. But it doesn't sound like Darth Vader.

I think it sounds pretty modified/almost-auto-tuned to sound more like him, but that's it's actually someone else. But who knows.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
The Twi'lek pilot is wearing boxer briefs on her head. :v:

Tarquinn fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 28, 2014

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
It's also not him "directly", it's a holo-transmission with interference and that disconnectedness type of distance as well.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Tarquinn posted:

The Twi'lek pilot is wearing a boxer brief on her head. :v:

She fills it out better than I would, too

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

MrBigglesworth posted:

It's also not him "directly", it's a holo-transmission with interference and that disconnectedness type of distance as well.

What? No, in that commercial for Star Tours, which is where this started, he sitting there on the ride. Not a holo transmission.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf

thrawn527 posted:

What? No, in that commercial for Star Tours, which is where this started, he sitting there on the ride. Not a holo transmission.

Sorry. I was referring to the show.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

MrBigglesworth posted:

Sorry. I was referring to the show.

Well, yeah, that's been confirmed to be JEJ, so there wouldn't be much of an argument about if it's him or not.

Rizzo Crackers
Oct 11, 2009

Like a midget at a urinal, I was gonna have to keep on my toes.
The Inquisitors introduction/entrance in episode four was one of the best intro's I've seen in a while. Punctuated by what just happened prior. That Williams swell and Isaacs voice were perfect.

Shame about the teeth though.

Rizzo Crackers fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 29, 2014

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Latest episode has Dante Basco as a guest VA, not that it's hard to pick his voice out of a crowd or anything.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
New episode was a lot of fun, the Storm Trooper training exercises were something straight out of a video game, which I really enjoyed.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

thrawn527 posted:

I think it sounds pretty modified/almost-auto-tuned to sound more like him, but that's it's actually someone else. But who knows.

It's him. They recorded it in the same session they used to do lines for the ride itself. And he doesn't sound "right" in the ride either, but he (and likewise Frank Oz) came in for the role.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

TL posted:

New episode was a lot of fun, the Storm Trooper training exercises were something straight out of a video game, which I really enjoyed.

Seriously if Stormtroopers have to go through that regimen during training you'd think they'd be better at their jobs.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
When is the next episode of this? Are they releasing it on their streaming site sooner than it's airing?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

eriktown posted:

When is the next episode of this? Are they releasing it on their streaming site sooner than it's airing?

Yeah, its clearly the standard plan now. Episodes are uploaded online a week ahead of their airing date.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
If the last one I saw was the one with that Luminara ghost/trap am I caught up?

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Fetus Tree posted:

For TV airings, but for online, no. The latest on WatchDisneyXD is Breaking Ranks, which sees Ezra infiltrate the Imperial Academy on Lothal.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Fetus Tree posted:

Also, according to an interview with the showrunner, that wasn't a force ghost, it was a hologram of Luminara's execution from the Inquisitor's point of view.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

jng2058 posted:

Also, according to an interview with the showrunner, that wasn't a force ghost, it was a hologram of Luminara's execution from the Inquisitor's point of view.

Cool thanks.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

Seriously if Stormtroopers have to go through that regimen during training you'd think they'd be better at their jobs.

From what I can tell they seem to assume all the ones doing well are using the force and take them away. Everyone else are whatever rejects are left over :v:

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Just FYI, if you have Time Warner Cable and can't use Watch Disney XD, the episodes show up early on the Kids on Demand channel. Not sure how early, but I was able to watch Breaking Ranks today. No commercials at all, too.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Kibayasu posted:

From what I can tell they seem to assume all the ones doing well are using the force and take them away. Everyone else are whatever rejects are left over :v:

That's why they can't hit anything wi a blaster.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Kibayasu posted:

This is so loving retarded. I know there is a hunt for Jedi going on. But does there just have to be two? Make like an army that you call something else...like force powered...I don't know. The Emperor is loving dumb.

I mean work with me here. They have a character called The Inquisitor. Just kill everyone that seems they want to take down the empire. It wouldn't be hard. Imagine Bunk And Mcnulty with force abilities in an interigion room. That would suck.

Fragmented fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Nov 2, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fragmented posted:

This is so loving retarded. I know there is a hunt for Jedi going on. But does there just have to be two? Make like an army that you call something else...like force powered...I don't know. The Emperor is loving dumb.

The entire history of the Sith is "raise other dark side jedi, eventually get overthrown."

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Fragmented posted:

I mean work with me here. They have a character called The Inquisitor. Just kill everyone that seems they want to take down the empire. It wouldn't be hard. Imagine Bunk And Mcnulty with force abilities in an interigion room. That would suck.

Edit: Phones are awesome. This is my edit post.

Fragmented fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Nov 2, 2014

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
If you go by the old EU the Emperor had about a thousand other force users of various titles and job descriptions running around. Emperor's hands, force sensitives, spies and so on. It was actually kind of retarded to be honest, because he apparently believed completely in the rule of two, but had hundreds of other force users that he just wasn't calling Sith essentially, since they did much the same thing.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
I think it was because all those 'other Force users' were written into that EU before the rule of two, wasn't it? Purging the old EU might clear the slate.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I always saw a pretty clear distinction between dark force user/follower of the sith and actual number 1 and 2 sith dudes.

Maybe I'm wrong, but with all the stuff out there you kind of have to unless you want your head spinning all the time

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Well, from certain aesthetic and narrative points, yeah there were differences, but for practical purposes (which is often where fans like to focus on things), it was never really especially laid out what exactly a Sith knew that was any more different or special than what any other dark side wielding hobo would figure out. Not helped that, of course, every video game that lets you use the dark side is obviously going to want to give players the iconic powers, so oft-times that which should be incredible and rare - force lightning, for example - ends up seem as absolutely standard, which makes it harder to clearly lay out what it is that distinguishes the Sith from their peers.

There were some efforts to change that, but they often wound up broad or otherwise ill defined, even by Star Wars standards. Sith Alchemy, for example, toyed with the idea that the Sith had techniques to manipulate life - alter it, and suit it to their needs. But then you have Sith magic, which was basically a 'do whatever the hell we want' card. Whilst yes, it did allow for some literally epic things to happen, it did often create the question 'well why does no-one else learn that?'.

Probably my favourite example for handling this sort of thing are actually the Nightsisters, especially with regards to Clone Wars (which, unlike the stuff above, is currently still canon). Because they use the force in very, very strange ways, and not really explained either. But its played as some kind of deliberately alien thing that other force users wouldn't really do, and inversely, most of the Nightsisters exhibit little to no talent in what we would consider 'normal' force abilities. Ventress and Opress are rare exceptions to that, because they at least were taught by a former Jedi, and Sith Master. The end of season 6 ends up demonstrating that the Sith had powers that the Jedi didn't really know, and that in turn, there were things that everybody didn't know, and thus, had to come from the strangest of sources. I'm not sure entirely how to sum it up, but I like the notion of various 'cultures' of force usage, which if more properly established by the revamped canon, could probably be a great boon to it.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

TheBigBad posted:

That's why they can't hit anything wi a blaster.

Well, that and they've already shown that moving slightly back and forth invalidates all projectile weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Madurai posted:

Well, that and they've already shown that moving slightly back and forth invalidates all projectile weapons.

This was implied by Qui-gon during his pod racing period.

• Locked thread