Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Drifter posted:

I had such a huge crush on Kristin Kreuk. She actually never got better at acting.

(my biggest smallville crush was Allison Mack, the girl who played Chloe :heysexy:)

Erica Durance is the best actress, and prettiest though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

I imagine that her tank top says "poo poo poo poo poo poo," encompassing her current mood.

It actually says Shirt Shirt Shirt. She's trying to make up for all the shirtlessness.

It's still not enough.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Drifter posted:

I had such a huge crush on Kristin Kreuk. She actually never got better at acting.

(my biggest smallville crush was Allison Mack, the girl who played Chloe :heysexy:)

See, Kreuk is beautiful, but she is a charisma vacuum, to the point that I don't think she's capable of 'sexy'. Which makes all these attempts at making her a star-crossed forbidden lover ring utterly false.

And her lack of acting talent means she fails at anything else she's given in scripts.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

jscolon2.0 posted:

Erica Durance is the best actress, and prettiest though.

I stopped smallville after season 5 or 6 or something. Erica was actually Louis Lane? Huh.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I think part of the problem with Laruel is that they honestly have never had any real idea what to do with her. The first season they gave her fuckall to do, she was just a bit player in Tommy's plot-line really. Then Tommy let a burning building fall on him they dropped a burning building on him so Ollie could learn that killing people is wrong. Then Season Two rolled around they didn't know what to do with her so it was all "YAY! BOOZE AND PILLS YUM YUM!" which kept her occupied until poo poo finally got rolling then she was a secondary player in Serah's plot-line. and now here she is getting a plot-line of her very own, and honestly it feel's more like they are just checking boxes off a list. okay let's see here Number 1 Dead Relative for motivation: check, Failed first attempt: Check, and Mentor to teach her how to fight: well poo poo, we already established that she can fight so what do we do? Ah gently caress it, Check. It honestly quite formulaic and that they are just going through the numbers with her and combined with the sometimes awful dialog they give her really brings her character down.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

David D. Davidson posted:

It honestly quite formulaic and that they are just going through the numbers with her and combined with the sometimes awful dialog they give her really brings her character down.

Every character is running off a checklist, though. Ollie most of all.

You're right about dialog though.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Gaz-L posted:

See, Kreuk is beautiful, but she is a charisma vacuum, to the point that I don't think she's capable of 'sexy'. Which makes all these attempts at making her a star-crossed forbidden lover ring utterly false.

And her lack of acting talent means she fails at anything else she's given in scripts.

And also she cut in front of me in line for a burger at LAX once so she's a huge bitch.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Drifter posted:

You're right about dialog though.

What are you talking about? "There is a fire inside of me! Drugs and alcohol can't touch that fire! Only justice can quench that fire!" Fuckin' Shakespeare, man.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Just played catch-up on S3 and the Flash tonight. Really glad all my disappointment in not killing Sarah and vaguely indicating Oliver already had the company back at the end of S2 were reversed/fixed :)

I'm generally liking how they're doing the Laurel plot so far- but drat I don't think it's too spergy to say DAs don't wear badges and you can't charge/threaten someone with perjury for lying to you during questioning?

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Kind of off-topic but I just got in a bow by the same company that makes Ollie's bow. I've never owned anything but a recurve before so things with compound parts are new to me. It's hilariously fun to shoot though.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Daric posted:

Kind of off-topic but I just got in a bow by the same company that makes Ollie's bow. I've never owned anything but a recurve before so things with compound parts are new to me. It's hilariously fun to shoot though.

Congratulations on getting a weapon that's 10x more powerful/easy to use than your old one.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Did you get the Kestrel?

I posted it in here last week. 1700 dollaridoos :australia:

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

I'm generally liking how they're doing the Laurel plot so far- but drat I don't think it's too spergy to say DAs don't wear badges and you can't charge/threaten someone with perjury for lying to you during questioning?

Yeah, that was stupid. Wildcat wasn't under oath or in any formal context for questioning. It's not perjury until he was placed in such a context. And it would be valid if she threatened him with a subpoena ("would you still say that under oath?"), but instead we got...whatever that was.

The writers get superheroes. But business economics and law...not so much.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
If we're gonna sperg then yes most DAs have badges. They don't usually wear them on a lanyard or anything.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

deimos posted:

If we're gonna sperg then yes most DAs have badges. They don't usually wear them on a lanyard or anything.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=district+attorney+badges

Ok you win this round Arrow writers...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Xealot posted:

Yeah, that was stupid. Wildcat wasn't under oath or in any formal context for questioning. It's not perjury until he was placed in such a context. And it would be valid if she threatened him with a subpoena ("would you still say that under oath?"), but instead we got...whatever that was.

The writers get superheroes. But business economics and law...not so much.

But does he know that?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

But does he know that?

I kinda thought that, but I feel this show is generally too on-the-nose with exposition to not have a moment where someone (Detective Lance maybe) specifically calls Laurel out as "trying these phony tactics to run your own investigation yadda yadda..." for that to be the writer's intent.

I think I said this last season, but one thing this show probably does better than any other action-serial is keeping a b-story like Diggle/ARGUS just running at the edge. It feels like both seasons have given you just about 4 episodes where that's the center story and it maintains both the legitimacy of a non-super dude on the team, keeps the world's bigger picture developing, and just brings in some really fun bit characters.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

They really seem to have dropped the H.I.V.E. thread, though. It was in that one episode and then never brought up again as far as I can recall.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Klungar posted:

They really seem to have dropped the H.I.V.E. thread, though. It was in that one episode and then never brought up again as far as I can recall.

I'm still holding out hope that it suddenly pops up again, possibly when Deadshot makes his annual appearance :)

edit: on the list of negatives, though, is hinting at Peter Stormare as something other than a one-shot villain and the snatching that dream from me like the dream that was Rome the Republix :(

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Oct 28, 2014

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, but they throw it out there because they can. They dropped OMAC all casual like, it's great for nerding out.

Gotham spreads it on like vegemite.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
But how else will people know that Edward Nigma will become the Riddler if he don't mention riddles every time he is on screen.

I did chuckle at "The Blur Lives" website Felicity was looking at though.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

For some reason I really insanely loved the Corto Maltese ARGUS agent's little bit of "ARGUS is here!" "That's why I hired my own forces, you'd be surprised how cheap they are."

It was such a ridiculously simple little way to establish him even at the very end as smart and dangerous.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

deimos posted:

She and her Dad are also idiots. Just tip a patrol cop out the outstanding warrents or call the bounty hunter and tip them off. Of course then we would have missed Luarel getting the crap beaten out of her.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Her goal wasn't to get him arrested. It was to hurt him.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Laurel is acting as a vigilante, she will have to learn to become a hero just like Ollie.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

sbaldrick posted:

She and her Dad are also idiots. Just tip a patrol cop out the outstanding warrents or call the bounty hunter and tip them off. Of course then we would have missed Luarel getting the crap beaten out of her.

Right and that's what happened at the end of the episode- I'd assume it was Detective Lance that made the tip because of his smug comments when he sees him being booked.

But the point is to continue building Laurel's need for vengeance and purpose after the death of Sarah- which is good because it's pretty much the only interesting thing you can do with her IMO.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I love goons. A character makes a decision that's clearly meant to be dumb, and all that gets said on is "That's dumb writing!". As a few folks stated, Laurel didn't want to arrest the guy, she wanted to make him PAY. She didn't get to vent that anger on Komodo, so she's sublimating it (much like Sara did) into payback on men that hurt women. I doubt she would even have called the cops if she had beaten him up.

Whereas Ollie would've shot him with a bola arrow, punched him in the dick and then called Lance on the Arrowphone. Which I just realised is a smartphone equivalent of the red phone in Batman '66.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I hope now that he's a big police man Captain Lance will finally get to enjoy a hot dog after he had to tragically throw his away in that one episode.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Are you kiddin' me? On a captain's salary he can afford the gourmet hot dogs! The kind that ain't greenish.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Pwnstar posted:

I hope now that he's a big police man Captain Lance will finally get to enjoy a hot dog after he had to tragically throw his away in that one episode.

Season 4: Lance finally gets his hot dog, Barrowman shoots it out of his hand with an arrow. Lance goes on a mad quest for revenge, gets trained in super gun-shooting abilities, becomes Manhunter.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

dordreff posted:

Season 4: Lance finally gets his hot dog, Barrowman shoots it out of his hand with an arrow. Lance goes on a mad quest for revenge, gets trained in super gun-shooting abilities, becomes Manhunter.

We just had Manhunter last episode.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Whizbang posted:

The other manhunter got her neck snapped.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Whizbang posted:

He can be one of the other 8 Manhunters. Or Vigilante, I think one of them was a cop out for revenge.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

dordreff posted:

He can be one of the other 8 Manhunters. Or Vigilante, I think one of them was a cop out for revenge.

I want to see Greg Saunders, the singing cowboy Vigilante. Or hell, put him on Flash, so we can have a musical episode with Grant Gustin and Jesse L. Martin singing too.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I wanted to see the Kate Spencer Manhunter. I would be more than happy to see the Goodwin and Simonson Paul Kirk Manhunter and the Council (army of ninja clones!)show up...also the singing cowboy Vigilante is far better than the District Attorney Vigilante

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Is there no new episode tonight?

Eddain
May 6, 2007

JohnSherman posted:

There should be a new episode tonight.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

JohnSherman posted:

Delayed because of World Series.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Tonight's episode is also the 50th of the show. Stephen Amell wrote a thing about it on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/stephenamell/posts/743938545691415

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Well it's starting right now on my livestream soooo v:shobon:v

• Locked thread