Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

I've always wondered, are the formant waveforms in FM7 the same as in the FS1R?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Korg DSN-12 is out in the US. Glad I never caved and bought a monotron/monotribe/volca for my portable needs.

Initial impressions: limited modulation, single EG, single LFO, imprecise knob control, no keytracking patch point. Also, when it says it has 12 monophonic synthesizers, it means it has 12 tracks of the same monophonic synthesizer. It has a KAOSS pad thing (3 of them, actually) that has assignable X/Y that you can record or step sequence.

The sequencer's got a lot of room, though. Patterns can be anything from 1-64 notes long, with 4 banks of 16 patterns, which can be arranged into a 99-slot pattern map.

The lissajous output is worthless eye candy, but the standard scope is as useful as ever. It comically allows you to adjust the focus and intensity of the graph.

Edit: Also, the manual has some nice Engrish, e.g.:

FREQ (Frequency)
It adjusts the wave speed. Turn right to fasten it.

Tan Dumplord fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 24, 2014

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Looks neat, but I can't imagine getting too much use from it. Gonna stick it on my wishlist and watch for sales. Also, why the hell is it exactly $37?

e: apparently the M01 supports Streetpass AND up to eight players.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.

BKPR posted:

e: apparently the M01 supports Streetpass AND up to eight players.

I'm very curious, but need to go and buy a 3DS to try it.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
So now that KORG has demo'd that you can sample INTO the Volca Sampler, who's gonna buy one? I am thinking about it!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Where did you see that?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

A MIRACLE posted:

Where did you see that?

I think it's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZZCop8U4gE

Which is basically what exactly what I was hoping the app would be. Also, it looks like the app thing could get ported to a computer fairly easily since it's not a wireless transfer.

It looks really awesome and even if iso devices no longer exist in 10 years it's a $150 fun little sampler.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
It's audio? loooool, yeah that's getting hacked apart immediately. Probably from the youtube video if it's a legit transfer. :v:

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Could be audio in or it could be a digital file transfer over that cable. Probably the latter

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

A MIRACLE posted:

Could be audio in or it could be a digital file transfer over that cable. Probably the latter

Yeah, it's probably a file transfer which would be slightly harder than just audio... but still really easy to hack.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
It's encoded audio data as far as I know. The Monotribe uses a similar process for updates.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

(Prolly M)FSK motherlovers

Northeast goons, first ever AHNE@MIT meet is tomorrow. I'll be there with an A4 and small euro, come rub knobs with us.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

I was messing around with learning my newest synthy acquisition (expert sleepers disting what what) and ended up with a nice sounding patch so I threw in some quick and dirty drums for a little 1V/OCTober thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX531PsH5sU

W424
Oct 21, 2010
The sampler has been the one volca I've been interested in, might have to buy it.

Also the more gearslutz have been crying and bitching about it the more I've wanted one. "It's a loving toy and not a SERIOUS musical instrument like the 303"

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
Any of you guys in the Boston area? There is a really great synth meetup going on at MIT. I plan to go later, I'll try to get some photos.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

What up nerd

MSPain posted:

Any of you guys in the Boston area? There is a really great synth meetup going on at MIT. I plan to go later, I'll try to get some photos.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
edit: should have read like 3 posts up

MSPain fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 25, 2014

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Would be there but I'm at a fencing tourney (the most IDM of sports)

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I925oYQ_lAA

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

toadee posted:

Would be there but I'm at a fencing tourney (the most IDM of sports)

Since you're posting in the synth thread I'm just gonna go ahead and assume that you're a nerd-gently caress epee fencer.

(like me.)

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

:eyepop:

also nice vid

MSPain posted:

edit: should have read like 3 posts up

No goon love connection, this time.
Meet was pretty great, somebody had a full Verbos system, that harmonic oscillator is really something. Some classic japanese stuff, System 100, CS60, maxikorg, etc. Dude from Cycling'74 brought a Roli Seaboard they sent them, I don't get it. The Continuum is easier and more fun to play I think. Found out Kurzweil laid off their soundware department from an oldbeard, I think there goes any dreams of the K3k happening.
I didn't take too many pics but I'll get them up later.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Rotten Cookies posted:

Since you're posting in the synth thread I'm just gonna go ahead and assume that you're a nerd-gently caress epee fencer.

(like me.)

I do both foil and epee, but I actually prefer foil.

Really I just like wearing the mask.

Verror
May 10, 2012

i really like fm8

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

For the Synth-Winter album I have three separate ideas for songs. They were supposed to be one thing, but they've split off and I love them all but I don't have enough time to dedicate to all of them. I feel like I have multiple personalities. They are, tentatively and creatively named, Flurry, Blizzard, and Shoveling. As has been expressed earlier in the thread, I'm gonna try and not show anything unless I can fully label it "done" (a.k.a. never.)

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Finish the one that sounds like the music to the snow level in Sonic 3 first.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYxlqTpZ-24

Really good stuff. FM does icy vibes well. Also digging the more literal crunchy/noisy ice sounds.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Miguel Jakestone made it, his composer credits just got stripped when it got found out that he was molesting Tails. Teach the controversy, teach the truth.

edit: now accepting industrial/environmental samples if anyone's got field recording gear and wants to share.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Hmmm... next weekend may be the first time in a while where I have some free time. Should probably get on that winter synth track going.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Update on DSN-12: happy with the workflow. It's suitable for live jamming, with a "lock" toggle that prevents off-bar pattern transitions. Sequencing patterns into a song is in a different mode though, so you either sequence the whole song or use the pattern pads to switch patterns.

FX are OK with the usual suspects plus compression and "Kick". They're all insert so it's an on/off affair for each track.

FM/cross-modulation is possible (patch VCO2 to VCO1 pitch), but there's no way to mod that patch with EG or LFO. What you CAN do is assign the VCO1 pitch mod depth to a KAOSS axis and sequence that. The KAOSS sequences interpolate/tween so if your notes are far enough apart you can simulate an envelope. Also, finding the right pitch for VCO2 can be a bitch with the on-screen knob. You need to drag way off to the side for better resolution.

No master/VCO1 pitch adjust so unison is limited to VCO2s and a single VCO1.

Filter isn't quite the same as the KingKorg's MS20 filter (supposedly the DSN-12 is modeled after the MS10). Not as edgy/glitchy in high resonance. As mentioned before, there's no keytrack-to-cutoff potential, so it's decidedly limited in that regard.

VCO2's noise source is decimated via the pitch knob, so that's pretty cool.

It could have been so much better with a couple more patch points. I give it 7/10.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I really like your Tuesday Night Machines channel.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Is there any more information about KORG's new Electribe boxes? I read the specs on the Sampler and my gearboner flared up, but I can't find anything but some product demo video in Italian... And my Italian is limited, mostly to dirty words and gestures.

Edit: While I'm here, I might as well ask; I've been playing some of the original Deus Ex and naturally the soundtrack is bringing back memories. The sound palette is distinctive like it could be a preset library - anybody know what synths were used for that soundtrack?

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Oct 28, 2014

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
Did this just now for shits and giggles. :v:

HIYO

I should really do an entire recording.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Does anybody rock an oscilloscope in the modular setup? I've got a sleepers module on that will do this via my DAW but thats not super fun right?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

I'm waiting on the O'Tool update before I stick one in there. He's working on some new software features and making it more accurate. I think Doepfer quit making theirs because it was basically just a mount for a panel scope that was EOL'd. It wasn't great anyway. My bench scope is a tek boat anchor but more than adequate for my wants/skills.

Mister Speaker posted:

Edit: While I'm here, I might as well ask; I've been playing some of the original Deus Ex and naturally the soundtrack is bringing back memories. The sound palette is distinctive like it could be a preset library - anybody know what synths were used for that soundtrack?

Not sure of the original sample sources but those are samples in impulsetracker. Think of contemporary romplers and you're probably most of the way there.

Fors Yard
Feb 15, 2008

Aside from getting shot in the head, David, what have you done with yourself?
Just in time for Halloween, here is probably the most haunting and ominous thing I've ever made. Mostly used the cardinal image because it sort of reminded me of the scene in Eyes Wide Shut and the organ like sound. I now realize it is also pretty inspired by Richard Devine's Flask. All JX-3P with some verb.

https://soundcloud.com/fors_yard/imepm

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

magiccarpet posted:

I really like your Tuesday Night Machines channel.

magiccarpet posted:

Does anybody rock an oscilloscope in the modular setup? I've got a sleepers module on that will do this via my DAW but thats not super fun right?
They always seemed so small and rather expensive to me. Also, they take space inside the rack :D so I just got a cheap old one from local classifieds. No idea how precise it is, but it's good enough to check my DIY projects and for a light show.

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

magiccarpet posted:

I initially got my O'Tool to help calibrate DIY modules, but it has been the #1 most useful module in my system. If I were in the market right now, I would wait for the updated version (I think they are all out of stock anyway until then), but the original is fantastic. A great example of "everything you need, nothing you don't" design philosophy, I don't know how I lived without it.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

Mister Speaker posted:

Is there any more information about KORG's new Electribe boxes? I read the specs on the Sampler and my gearboner flared up, but I can't find anything but some product demo video in Italian... And my Italian is limited, mostly to dirty words and gestures.

Not sure, BUT you can load up the soundtrack files into modplug and rip all the samples they used

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?

Mister Speaker posted:

They're all Impulse Tracker mod files; you can grab the tracker of your choice and open up the source files.

Also I'm probably going to try and unload my EMX and Micron for whatever I can get and grab the new sampler as long as it comes with the same VA engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
New Electribe's VA engine is based on the KingKorg's XMT.