Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

There's a mask later in the DLC called Hollow Skin that completely negates curse build up. If you're really having trouble with the invader, just leave him and get that. Personally, I dealt with him by backing him into a corner and backstabbing him over and over again. You can also just run past and take care of the altar. The soul fragment will still be there if you die so don't worry about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I wound up using my Mastodon Halberd on him since it was the strongest thing I had, I actually have plenty of stamina so I don't know why I didn't just keep cheesing him before, though the tricky part is killing him during the getaway

On a side note: You know what's really bugging me? The lack of mimic chests in the DLC...

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Harrow posted:

I kind of think From might've gone too far in the mage-nerfing. I think sorcery at least is in a pretty good place in the main game right now. I didn't feel overpowered, I didn't feel underpowered. I had good melee options, good damage from spells, it was all around working pretty well.

But my god this DLC. I'm kind of having a hard time seeing the point of having magic at all. As in, I've got six total casts of Soul Spear (counting the extra casts from my Hexer's Hood) that do decent damage to the normal enemies and then a few casts of Warmth to save me some Lifegems between fights and that's all I can really see the point of using. I'd be better off just attuning Warmth and upgrading a bow.

I get that melee is the core of the Souls games and magic is intended to be supplementary. That's fine, it's how I used it in the first place. But good spells require heavy stat investment, so in general that left me to rely on infused (or naturally magic- or fire-scaling) weapons. Some of those are pretty cool and do good damage in the main game. It feels like I'm trading sustained melee damage and a wider weapon variety for versatility and some burst damage with a solid mid-range game (at least for NG, before you can farm up like six copies of Crystal Soul Spear). And I really liked that! It's all spellsword: mostly melee but with powerful spells to mix it up.

But that all falls apart when every enemy resists all magic and that kind of leaves you with very few options in the DLC, doesn't it? I get to do significantly less damage than a pure physical character no matter what weapon I use (magic, fire, raw, or normal), and I don't really get anything in return.

I can still see the appeal of magic in PvP. I really want to try rocking a buffed Blue Flame in my main hand and use my offhand to cast pyromancy--seems like you could play some fun range games with that. I'll stick with this build as long as I can in this DLC but my patience for just kind of being worse in every way than I could be if I only used physical damage is really wearing thin.

Yeah I had the same experience as you and ran into a brick wall on Sunken King so my next character went ahead and sacrificed some int and attunement to pump 30 strength well before drangleic.

You need an upgraded great club. 2h R2 all day every day, gently caress their hyper-poise bullshit.

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I guess that's what I mean. I mean, some spells had their casts reduced and damage reduced, but you're right, it's very indirect.

As a balancing strategy it doesn't make a ton of sense to me. Should some enemies resist magic and force you to mix it up? Hell yeah. I also think a few enemies should be really resistant to physical damage--it'd be easy enough to work around with a resin or keeping an infused weapon around or throwing some bombs. But having three full-scale areas of the game that are otherwise really cool just be all-around harder for anyone who specialized in INT and/or FAI just kind of baffles me. Is it punishment for magic being easy mode at launch or something? Was it balanced around pre-nerf magic and just never adjusted to account for the changes?

Anyway I'm going to give the game a rest for the night and try again tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure this ends with me burning a Soul Vessel, making a STR/DEX build, and upgrading that Hunter's Blackbow I've been carrying around.

(And then probably switching back to magic once I'm done with the DLC and "retiring" this character from PvE to try out various magic-related PvP builds while I make a separate, pure physical PvE character.)

If it's any consolation they hosed melee too by making it a boring circle strafe backstab fest because you can't even knock sanctum knights down with the loving Greatswords 2h strong attack.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I really should've done my research and just not started as a Sorcerer to begin with.

Oh, well. I still want to do lots of sorcery/pyromancy PvP builds and this character will be great for that, so it's not a massive loss.

There's just no way to have magic be effective without totally reworking enemy AI in the souls games. If they make it equal to a melee weapon in strength then they'd have to teach all the enemies how to roll or give them all shields and have them keep them up all the time or something. It's an interesting project and I'd love to see a souls game where mages had the same sorts of challenges a melee guy does but since some enemies still can't figure out how to get you when there's a treestump in the way something tells me that's easier said than done. So they can either make magic satisfyingly powerful and thereby let cretins blue last l laser their way though the game or they can not do that and honest mages are then left with a lot of second rate options.

It's basically a melee game with magic shoehorned in. I'd love it to be otherwise but I think that would require a lot more than fiddling with damage numbers and resistance values to get it right.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Oh God gently caress the Iron Passage

everything is going to go extinct

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Just run through you big babby.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

axelsoar posted:

I am going quality, so I guess composite it is. will be at 50/50 soon.

According to the character planner, at 50/50 the Hunter's Blackbow will do 155 + 116.0 = 271, the Composite Bow will do 165 + 116.0 = 281, and the Dragonrider Bow will 180 + 163.0 = 343 physical, not counting the ~150 magic damage even at fairly low int. The Dragonrider Bow is by far the most powerful per shot, but takes a lot more stamina to draw and its damage drops off more quickly with range.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

FrickenMoron posted:

Just run through you big babby.

I cant

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The best bow is the Light Crossbow. If you want to use a 2H bow then the best one is the Short Bow. Fastest and lightest each in their categories with lowest stamina useage, enough damage to pull with or to kill salamanders using a kajillion arrows.

I'd only bother with another bow if I had carry weight to burn or was doing some bow only run.

=====

In other news I've killed some poor guy named Gunjah about six times in the Belfry now. He's tried the Heide Sword, a great shield, a fire long sword, and the Craftsmans Hammer, but he never strays from the Dranleic Set. Poor guy.

E: Seven times, dual caestus.

raton fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Oct 28, 2014

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Nah, you can.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Paracelsus posted:

According to the character planner, at 50/50 the Hunter's Blackbow will do 155 + 116.0 = 271, the Composite Bow will do 165 + 116.0 = 281, and the Dragonrider Bow will 180 + 163.0 = 343 physical, not counting the ~150 magic damage even at fairly low int. The Dragonrider Bow is by far the most powerful per shot, but takes a lot more stamina to draw and its damage drops off more quickly with range.

The speed of the blackbow is really beneficial. Most enemies will take at least two arrows to die anyway, so you can get your killing done faster with it. I can't stand using other bows, it makes that much of a difference.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
In the time it takes you to shoot one arrow from the Dragonrider Bow you'd probably be nocking the third or fourth with the Hunter's Blackbow. It's super fast.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sheep-Goats posted:

There's just no way to have magic be effective without totally reworking enemy AI in the souls games. If they make it equal to a melee weapon in strength then they'd have to teach all the enemies how to roll or give them all shields and have them keep them up all the time or something. It's an interesting project and I'd love to see a souls game where mages had the same sorts of challenges a melee guy does but since some enemies still can't figure out how to get you when there's a treestump in the way something tells me that's easier said than done. So they can either make magic satisfyingly powerful and thereby let cretins blue last l laser their way though the game or they can not do that and honest mages are then left with a lot of second rate options.

It's basically a melee game with magic shoehorned in. I'd love it to be otherwise but I think that would require a lot more than fiddling with damage numbers and resistance values to get it right.

None of those balance issues stopped them from making bows useful, though.

Personally, I think magic's in a good place in the main game. I found my spells useful, but not so powerful that I didn't mainly want to play melee. And the base Dark Souls II actually gives mages some pretty compelling melee options, so that worked out really well. There are some really fun weapons that have natural magic, fire, lightning, or dark damage, and even if you don't want to use those there's a good selection of weapons with relatively low STR/DEX requirements and scaling that you can infuse. Good spells require a large stat investment so it makes sense to offer melee options that can scale with the stats you're using for spellcasting.

(Of course, that all sort of breaks down once a player can burn endless Bonfire Ascetics and farm like a dozen Crystal Soul Spears, but things kind of break down in general at that point anyway.)

Which is why I don't really get their approach in the DLC. In the main game, I still felt like my best option as a mage was to use my Watcher Greatsword or another magic-scaling weapon and then use my few Soul Spears when I really, absolutely needed to do good damage at range. I was much more effective in melee than at range, and that was fine. But the DLC leaves mages with no options other than to equip a normal or raw weapon and just kind of accept that it's not going to be particularly fun. That approach to balance just kind of bothers me. I wish they'd just made maybe a few more enemies in the DLC magic resistant but still left it a viable playstyle. Right now, it almost feels like a punishment for magic being so overpowered at the game's launch: mages were too powerful, so now if they want to do the DLC without respeccing they have to play the same way as everyone else but do half the damage as penance.

When I play after work today I'm going to Soul Vessel and call it quits on the magic in PvE.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
I don't know, I played all three DLCs with my mage using a magic mace and spells and it wasn't that bad. Certainly not as dire as you make it sound.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Yeah, I did all the DLCs on my hexer using dark infusion and Dark Weapon or a dark-infused Abyss Greatsword and it was fine.

Dark Orb on occasion to pull enemies and pick off wounded ones at range, but otherwise I mostly went in for melee.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Those two are a product of the magic mace being a damned god tier weapon (despite being so boring) and the DLC enemies not being that resistant to dark vs the other elements.

I didnt notice it much since I was using a dark Murakumo.

A thing that pisses me off slightly: there arent any good reasons to use non elemental bolts/arrows. The elemental ammo is always better in every way.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Greatbow arrows do more damage usually if they are pure physical from what i've seen.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Re: Greatsword talk: The Bastard Sword IS the best Greatsword you can get, easily. I used one in my NG+2 No death no bonfire run because the moveset is so good, the damage is good, the range, reach and swing width are all really good.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Huzzah! posted:

I don't know, I played all three DLCs with my mage using a magic mace and spells and it wasn't that bad. Certainly not as dire as you make it sound.

I just started to get really disheartened when I noticed that, with 18 STR, 18 DEX, and 50 INT, I was doing more damage with a maxed normal Espada Ropera than with a maxed magic Watcher Greatsword, even though I can't even really scale the Espada Ropera (and raw adds maybe 10 damage). If I buff the Watcher Greatsword it's better, but that chews up its durability, and even with full Northwarder and a Lingering Dragoncrest, it doesn't last longer than it takes me to kill maybe two or three enemies. And I'm definitely not about to attempt buffing during a boss fight--I learned my lesson on that one in the first Dark Souls.

Tarezax posted:

Yeah, I did all the DLCs on my hexer using dark infusion and Dark Weapon or a dark-infused Abyss Greatsword and it was fine.

Dark Orb on occasion to pull enemies and pick off wounded ones at range, but otherwise I mostly went in for melee.

Do you mean the Crypt Blacksword or the Majestic Greatsword?

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Those two are a product of the magic mace being a damned god tier weapon (despite being so boring) and the DLC enemies not being that resistant to dark vs the other elements.

I didnt notice it much since I was using a dark Murakumo.

Man, now I really regret going sorcery instead of hex, especially because I don't have enough Twinkling Titanite to upgrade my Sunset Staff to +5 now that I've maxed out the Staff of Wisdom. (Luckily I haven't bought out Chloanne's three Darknight Stones yet, so if I do decide to try dark I'll at least be able to infuse a weapon or two.)

Is dark really that much less resisted than magic? I feel like that might bite me in the rear end against some enemies.

My other idea was just to Soul Vessel a whole lot of points out of Attunement, since most of my spells aren't that useful anyway so I don't need that many slots for PvE, and put it into STR/DEX while keeping my INT where it is. Then maybe I could do better damage with some thrusting swords or something.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Tarezax posted:

otherwise I mostly went in for melee.

:ironicat: Most people complaining about the DLC were magic-heavy characters who used melee only as a sidearm kind of thing.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lordfrikk posted:

:ironicat: Most people complaining about the DLC were magic-heavy characters who used melee only as a sidearm kind of thing.

I'm using an INT-heavy build but I mostly play melee, too. I have high INT because the spells I want to use require it (as does the Staff of Wisdom), and as a result I tend to have to use infused weapons to melee, which is fine because some of the naturally "infused" weapons are cool as hell and I want to wield them anyway.

It's just that at least magic weapons (don't know about dark from personal experience) do crap for damage compared to normal weapons even with the same build, in the DLC anyway. It's kind of disheartening that a weapon I get next to no scaling bonus on handily outdamages a weapon that I get a fairly large scaling bonus on in three entire areas of the game, so naturally I wonder why I'm bothering with having INT at all, y'know? Buffing helps a bit but it's not really all that sustainable over long stretches or in boss fights.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 28, 2014

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Manatee Cannon posted:

There's a mask later in the DLC called Hollow Skin that completely negates curse build up. If you're really having trouble with the invader, just leave him and get that. Personally, I dealt with him by backing him into a corner and backstabbing him over and over again. You can also just run past and take care of the altar. The soul fragment will still be there if you die so don't worry about that.

Best way to kill him is to use a Seed of a Tree of Giants when he runs down his hidey-hole.

:byewhore:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The guy that was having issues with it said he didn't have one when someone else mentioned that solution.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Before I give up on magic I guess I'll go see if I can get a Black Witch's Staff to drop (since I think I'll have an easier time getting one of those and upgrading it with Titanite than I will getting the Twinkling Titanite to upgrade my Sunset Staff) and use a Soul Vessel to give a hex build another shot. Dark Murakumo sounds like a pretty fun time, if nothing else.

Unless I burn a Bonfire Ascetic at the Dragon Aerie to respawn all the Crystal Lizards... hm. I could take those drakes...

EDIT: Would the Stone Ring help at all with the mega-poise on the normal enemies, or is it still so high that it won't make a practical difference?

Harrow fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 28, 2014

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Do I need to collect all four crowns in order to break the curse, or can I just collect the three DLC ones? I skipped a bunch of things in my NG+2 run and I can't remember what I collected.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Harrow posted:

Just got to Aava on my sorcerer character.

Time to respec, huh? Even a +5 Watcher Greatsword barely scratches this thing. I do more damage with a +10 Espada Ropera and I don't even have the stats to scale it. It doesn't help I can't seem to get a handle on dodging his attacks, but the fact that I barely scratch the boss with anything even vaguely magical is... discouraging.

I love that fight. I'm pretty drat good at dodging the attacks, I really like the way Aava moves. (he? she?)

My +10 claymore and +5 majestic greatsword just ripped her apart with dark damage.

All the DLC enemies are supposed to have really high magic/fire/holy/dark resist though.

Harrow posted:

I kind of think From might've gone too far in the mage-nerfing. I think sorcery at least is in a pretty good place in the main game right now. I didn't feel overpowered, I didn't feel underpowered. I had good melee options, good damage from spells, it was all around working pretty well.

But my god this DLC. I'm kind of having a hard time seeing the point of having magic at all. As in, I've got six total casts of Soul Spear (counting the extra casts from my Hexer's Hood) that do decent damage to the normal enemies and then a few casts of Warmth to save me some Lifegems between fights and that's all I can really see the point of using. I'd be better off just attuning Warmth and upgrading a bow.

I get that melee is the core of the Souls games and magic is intended to be supplementary. That's fine, it's how I used it in the first place. But good spells require heavy stat investment, so in general that left me to rely on infused (or naturally magic- or fire-scaling) weapons. Some of those are pretty cool and do good damage in the main game. It feels like I'm trading sustained melee damage and a wider weapon variety for versatility and some burst damage with a solid mid-range game (at least for NG, before you can farm up like six copies of Crystal Soul Spear). And I really liked that! It's all spellsword: mostly melee but with powerful spells to mix it up.

But that all falls apart when every enemy resists all magic and that kind of leaves you with very few options in the DLC, doesn't it? I get to do significantly less damage than a pure physical character no matter what weapon I use (magic, fire, raw, or normal), and I don't really get anything in return.

All my characters (except for my latest) are spellswords and I had no trouble with the dlc? :shrug:

Harrow posted:

Which is why I don't really get their approach in the DLC. In the main game, I still felt like my best option as a mage was to use my Watcher Greatsword or another magic-scaling weapon and then use my few Soul Spears when I really, absolutely needed to do good damage at range. I was much more effective in melee than at range, and that was fine. But the DLC leaves mages with no options other than to equip a normal or raw weapon and just kind of accept that it's not going to be particularly fun. That approach to balance just kind of bothers me. I wish they'd just made maybe a few more enemies in the DLC magic resistant but still left it a viable playstyle. Right now, it almost feels like a punishment for magic being so overpowered at the game's launch: mages were too powerful, so now if they want to do the DLC without respeccing they have to play the same way as everyone else but do half the damage as penance.

When I play after work today I'm going to Soul Vessel and call it quits on the magic in PvE.

Again I beat all the DLC with a dark claymore so maybe you just need to git gud? :darksouls:

The grass is always greener on the other side. DLC is supposed to be challenging. You may find that respeccing pure str doesn't really make it that much easier. Then again they gave us soul vessels so we can use them, so feel free to try out the poopbat for awhile, it does work well.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 28, 2014

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Concurred posted:

Do I need to collect all four crowns in order to break the curse, or can I just collect the three DLC ones? I skipped a bunch of things in my NG+2 run and I can't remember what I collected.

You need all four.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Concurred posted:

Re: Greatsword talk: The Bastard Sword IS the best Greatsword you can get, easily.

Claymore R2+R2 for life. That poke's just too handy.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

I love that fight. I'm pretty drat good at dodging the attacks, I really like the way Aava moves. (he? she?)

My +10 claymore and +5 majestic greatsword just ripped her apart with dark damage.

All the DLC enemies are supposed to have really high magic/fire/holy/dark resist though.

All my characters (except for my latest) are spellswords and I had no trouble with the dlc? :shrug:

Again I beat all the DLC with a dark claymore so maybe you just need to git gud? :darksouls:

The grass is always greener on the other side. DLC is supposed to be challenging. You may find that respeccing pure str doesn't really make it that much easier. Then again they gave us soul vessels so we can use them, so feel free to try out the poopbat for awhile, it does work well.

I think Aava's a she? Not too sure.

Anyway, maybe it's just the difference between dark and magic in this case. Most people who've told me their spellswords had no trouble were using dark damage, whereas I've gone for magic, so maybe that's part of my problem.

But it's not that I can't actually do it--I beat Aava last night using a normal Espada Ropera--but that using a magic-heavy build, even though I play mostly melee with it, feels like I'm unnecessarily making it harder for myself while also cutting myself off from a wider variety of weapons. With 18 STR, 18 DEX, and 50 INT, I did more damage to Aava per hit with a normal Espada Ropera than with a magic Watcher Greatsword or a fire Estoc, all upgraded to max. If I buffed the greatsword it did slightly more damage per swing than the Espada Ropera, but the buff lasts for less than a minute even in full Northwarder and Aava doesn't like to give you an opportunity to re-buff very often. Plus, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't outdamage the Espada Ropera anyway because that thing can poke faster than the Watcher Greatsword can swing.

(I'm also open to the possibility that I'm just using a lovely weapon. I thought it might be good because of its good-on-paper damage, self-buffing, and low stamina consumption compared to other greatswords, but maybe not?)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

This is Demon's Souls related but I'm posting this in all the Souls threads for those that don't read it.

Holy poo poo new ring found.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Genocyber posted:

This is Demon's Souls related but I'm posting this in all the Souls threads for those that don't read it.

Holy poo poo new ring found.

So what's the deal here? Did they update the game, or did the Souls community somehow manage to completely miss this ring's existence?

Orv
May 4, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

So what's the deal here? Did they update the game, or did the Souls community somehow manage to completely miss this ring's existence?

The latter.

E: VV

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Nobody leaves yurt alive.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

Googling around, I've found some references to the ring's existence from a year ago and a few months ago, but clearly in the rumor way--posting about it jokingly the way you'd post about "oh yeah, just bring back General Leo, no big deal."

I don't think they updated the game--someone would've posted something about "OMG they patched Demon's Souls!??!?" if that was the case--just... I guess nobody bothered seeing what happened if you kept Yurt alive for as long as you could?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Orv posted:

The latter.

I figured as much, but it's kinda surreal that they never found that, considering they basically found enemy models from the broken archstone (among other things.)

Orv
May 4, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

I figured as much, but it's kinda surreal that they never found that, considering they basically found enemy models from the broken archstone (among other things.)

The issue is that for him to sell it he basically kills all of the NPCs you need to do stuff in Demon's Souls, so who the gently caress would have found it.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Orv posted:

The issue is that for him to sell it he basically kills all of the NPCs you need to do stuff in Demon's Souls, so who the gently caress would have found it.

Someone who doesn't give a poo poo about leaving NPCs around, obviously. Considering that game's five years old, you'd think someone would have done absolutely everything with Yurt years ago. Weird.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

It could also be a hack or a shop. I'm hoping someone here tries it and sees if it's real.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Probably find out soon enough, the community at large will tear poo poo apart to find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Orv posted:

The other thing is that, unless I'm super mistaken, once he's done killing all of the NPCs, he goes hostile if you talk to him. Peeve's follow-up tweet says to get him to sell it you have to keep Yurt alive all the way to the end of NG, just before going to NG+. So (assuming this isn't somehow faked), I guess everyone just ended up either killing Yurt or letting him kill all of the NPCs and then talking to him and having to kill him.

So for this to work you'd have to rescue Yurt and just plain leave him alone until you finish all of the Archdemons? It's super simple but something that probably nobody ever thought to try.