Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
al-azad
May 28, 2009

Overbite posted:

Watch it not have mouse+keyboard support.

Honestly Sega's output on PC is pretty good. Next to post-RE4 Capcom and Square, Japan has realized the importance of branching out. Fingers crossed that Ground Zeroes isn't garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The class upgrades are aaawwwwful in VC2 though. It's a nice idea, but they're built on some really arbitrary tokens requiring specific actions for each individual soldier you want to upgrade. You have to go way out of your way to get some of them to the point you're better off just burning through with what you've already got.

Yeah, some of the class upgrades were a bit obtuse and obnoxious to unlock. If you could just bank them then it would have been much more interesting.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Yaos posted:

You don't need a joystick, I played X-Wing and TIE Fighter on this.

No, the giant stick was not comfortable, but it was removable.
I can't imagine managing power distribution/shield configuration/weapon options/targeting/actually firing weapons/SLAM overdrive/etc. with just four buttons.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Paracelsus posted:

I can't imagine managing power distribution/shield configuration/weapon options/targeting/actually firing weapons/SLAM overdrive/etc. with just four buttons.
You don't, you have to use the keyboard too!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

al-azad posted:

Honestly Sega's output on PC is pretty good. Next to post-RE4 Capcom and Square, Japan has realized the importance of branching out. Fingers crossed that Ground Zeroes isn't garbage.

They did take in a few Western PC developers, so chances are they've been learning some stuff from that.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Paracelsus posted:

No joke, I wonder if you could map all the most relevant commands on a Dualshock 4 using the shoulder buttons as modifiers. That seems like it might be feasible.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Manatee Cannon posted:

They did take in a few Western PC developers, so chances are they've been learning some stuff from that.

I forget what the name of the UK company they got to port Sonic Generations and Binary Domain is (something to do with the word "Devil"?) but they do a fairly bang-up job aside from the launchers/config tools that look like they were made in VB6. I think Sumo did Transformed PC themselves.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

kirbysuperstar posted:

I forget what the name of the UK company they got to port Sonic Generations and Binary Domain is (something to do with the word "Devil"?) but they do a fairly bang-up job aside from the launchers/config tools that look like they were made in VB6. I think Sumo did Transformed PC themselves.

Devil's Details, which is an amazing name for a port house.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Do I wanna play it? :shrug:
(Yes, yes you do. It's a neat cover shooter with neat looking bosses and a not-really-used-but-cool-idea buddy friendship system)

Orv
May 4, 2011
And the best sci-fi cheese in a video game in some time. :cmon:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Croccers posted:

Do I wanna play it? :shrug:
(Yes, yes you do. It's a neat cover shooter with neat looking bosses and a not-really-used-but-cool-idea buddy friendship system)

It also uses every action movie stereotype in the book. This is what a Hollywood blockbuster looks like as directed by the Japanese. I'm surprised the main character wasn't named John Everyman or something. There's a French robot that talks with the snootiest accent and wears a red scarf, I'm not making this up.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
The game ends on such a schlocky action movie note that I couldn't help but love it.

Binary Domain loving owns and it makes me want to play the Yakuza games.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Mutation posted:

Binary Domain loving owns

Should really just be every post for the next page or so.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mutation posted:

Binary Domain loving owns

Correct. Everyone should play Binary Domain.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
gently caress, I'll probably end up with Binary Domain in my library next time it goes on sale. I just finished Sleepy Dogs and it ruled even thought the ending sucked and now I need some more violent action in my game time and Spec Ops is too depressing.

Also, I don't know if anyone here has played or is interested in Screen Cheat, but I've played a few rounds and have it's pretty neat and hilarious. I have a feeling the novelty will wear off but hopefully they add more modes/maps/weapons and some polish on it and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to people. It's an arena FPS, but it always displays in splitscreen so you everyone sees the same thing and everyone's player model is invisible. It's surprisingly intense, Like playing TF2 where everyone is a spy and can kill you instantly. I was playing with my bro at my computer and we could still play online which is something that I've really missed from when I used to play Halo 3 at my buddy's place. Gameplay-wise feels like an mid 2000s fps (UT2k4, timesplitters, halo) where your character is always moving pretty fast and you have nice bouncy jumps, but the weapons don't really feel good right now at all. I think any hit is an instant kill which is tense but the weapons don't really feel balanced.

I'm hoping it gets expanded and tightened up, but I am still enjoying it as it stands now. There's already a reallyy neat mode where you have to kill a specific player with a specific weapon to get points, but the target is on cards that are hidden until you press a button to pull them up, so you have to quickly glance at them and hope no one else saw what weapon you need to pick up or where your target is.

Mostly it makes me want Halo 3 on PC. Or some kind of similar feeling FPS with easily modifiable rules and gamemodes and smooth, easy to set up local multiplayer. Easily the biggest thing I miss about consoles.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Last Remnant is pretty decent. I'm assuming the dungeons eventually get longer but right now they're the same size as Mars War Logs and the battles are very quick which I like. At least in the early going the missions are short and sweet. I don't think I necessarily understand how formation/location determines deadlock/interference yet, but the battles have been very small groups so far and very easy to win so I have time.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
If someone's not sure about Valkyria Chronicles, GT did a good job explaining the game in their review:
http://www.gametrailers.com/reviews/kpw6gu/valkyria-chronicles-review
(the video's compressed like poo poo but it's six years old now)

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

holy poo poo

also valkyria chronicles owns provided you have a moderate tolerance to anime

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Terminally Bored posted:

If someone's not sure about Valkyria Chronicles, GT did a good job explaining the game in their review:
http://www.gametrailers.com/reviews/kpw6gu/valkyria-chronicles-review
(the video's compressed like poo poo but it's six years old now)
I think I would find more appeal in that if the setting was anything else whatsoever. World War 2 is loving played out to death, no matter how much anime you shove into it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cardiovorax posted:

I think I would find more appeal in that if the setting was anything else whatsoever. World War 2 is loving played out to death, no matter how much anime you shove into it.

This was me ten years ago but I'm ready for more WW2 stuff again. Especially if it's not actual WW2 but crazy anime WW2 with electric lances and gigantic tanks.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
It's close enough to provoke that relexive "not a-loving-gain" reaction from me. Between two dozen different games featuring wizard Nazis I am kind of burnt out on the whole "WW2 but with ~magic~" concept.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
As themes go this is still better than 'murica in modern warfare. But the main draw for me in VC is the mechanics. It's like a cross between Fire Emblem and Combat Mission with anime art/story. Can be broken easily but it's fun and still kinda unique and there are still not enough good strategy games around.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Overbite posted:

Watch it not have mouse+keyboard support.

It will have the worst case of mouse acceleration you've ever seen.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed
Hey Steam thread, I just got some great new headphones and I'm wondering if anyone's got a recommendation for games with strong sound design & fidelity? To clarify I don't really mean 'has good music' although that's wonderful, but more high quality environmental sound and ambience - the design rather than the composition.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

ReWinter posted:

Hey Steam thread, I just got some great new headphones and I'm wondering if anyone's got a recommendation for games with strong sound design & fidelity? To clarify I don't really mean 'has good music' although that's wonderful, but more high quality environmental sound and ambience - the design rather than the composition.

Dead Space

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Cardiovorax posted:

I would loving love to see WW2 make a comeback. I'm more sick of modern military shooter and generic sci-fi.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

ReWinter posted:

Alien: Isolation has the best sound design I have ever heard in a game and I'm not talking about the music which by the way also owns.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

If anyone's still on the fence about Godus, they just pushed an update with the following bullet point
  • Shortened intro video to reduce game’s memory footprint
and announced their Balance File Editor is coming this Friday.

If it's not clear what that is, it's literally backdoor access to everything from timers to generated and required resources with a built-in function to email your settings to the developers so they can "collate your feedback with the intention of making global adjustments to Godus on PC and Mac based on your collective contributions."

Yes! That's right! Literally balance Molyneux's lovely half-implemented game for him.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Palpek posted:

I would loving love to see WW2 make a comeback. I'm more sick of modern military shooter and generic sci-fi.

Yeah, I mean I'm pretty sure that the last proper (as in not an alternative retelling) WWII shooter was the COD after Modern Warfare. There's stuff like Company of Heroes but the second one is kinda uncomfortably Germany fanboying.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Oh, neat, as an owner of Godus I didn't even know that update was in the cards. Finally I'll have a reason to go back to it without waiting a decade or so for all of my little huts to make god power blobs for me. :unsmith:

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Testekill posted:

Yeah, I mean I'm pretty sure that the last proper (as in not an alternative retelling) WWII shooter was the COD after Modern Warfare. There's stuff like Company of Heroes but the second one is kinda uncomfortably Germany fanboying.

Wasn't there also Enemy Front, the one by the studio that made Alien Rage?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Holy poo poo, a TIE fighter re-release? :swoon:

What's a good joystick these days?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Darkrenown posted:

Never played one of those games, but if you're looking for cheap and efficient joysticks its kinda hard to go wrong with:

http://gaming.logitech.com/es-es/product/extreme-3d-pro-joystick

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Ghostlight posted:

Yes! That's right! Literally balance Molyneux's lovely half-implemented game for him.
I wonder how shocked he's going to be when 90% of the adjustments are 'remove the endless bullshit timers on everything so I can play the game at a reasonable pace'.

Also too bad there won't be an adjustment that says 'follow the clear path I made for you instead of walking to the other side of the mountain and complaining about the cliffs'

A convert this game to Populous button would be nice as well.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Darkrenown posted:

I just picked up a CH Flightstick (the beige, 2 button model) plus a game port to USB adapter for $30 shipped off of eBay; those old games work great with a two button joystick, plus the old CH products are built like loving tanks :getin:

Relivin' my childhood, $30 at a time

You can pick up a slightly more modern USB CH flightstick pro (black base) with 8 way hat switch for about $30 used. modern joysticks have a twist function for kinda sorta rudder function but it's not required, unless you're a proper flight sim nerd and/or plan on getting a pilot's license some day.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Oct 28, 2014

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Darkhold posted:

A convert this game to Populous button would be nice as well.
Well, Reprisal is literally Populous 1

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

quote:

"[It's] a really, really, really good tactical RPG," Oli wrote in Eurogamer's Valkyria Chronicles review. "Fans of the genre should pick it up without delay, but beneath the inviting exterior and thoughtfully designed battle system lies a game with a few too many clunky inconsistencies which directly impact the strategic heart of the experience."

gently caress off Oli, nobody likes you.

Valkyria!!! :neckbeard:

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Palpek posted:

Totally disagree, there is no more trodden ground than WWII and I would be happy to never see another game set in between 1930 and 1950

Orv
May 4, 2011

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Totally disagree, there is no more trodden ground than WWII and I would be happy to never see another game set in between 1930 and 1950

I'm not going to do the legwork, but I'd bet modern and barely-future is equally as trod now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I hate to be part of the "I'm tired of shootmans games harumph!" crowd but personally I'm just plum tired of games that boil down to "you're a dude in a major world war! remember how that world war sucked? yeah it was awful! anyway shoot a bunch of dudes that were opposite your country in that war".

• Locked thread