Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

BULBASAUR posted:

Don't forget about THE SPARTAN ASSAULT TANK, grand daddy to all land raiders, fought in 2 world wars, smoked 2 packs every day, made love to every woman in town, and died only after he felt it was agreeable.

Besides the Achilles the Spartan is basically a land raider, but better in every way for about 50 points more. Same problems as a normal land raider, but better in all the others. The Proteus has a single gimmick in 30k- you can modify reserve roles AND it has infiltrate/scout. It's also the easiest way to spam AV14. Otherwise its pretty bad.

e: I hope this thread gets... broken, loose

Is that painted half in Fists colors and half in BT?

Is it like... a timeshare or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I thought they were the same thing in the pre-heresy? Back then their colors were black, iron, and yellow. Pretty rad actually.

Sulecrist posted:

Hobby progress!

Chaos Terminator Sorcerer (pretty much straight out of the box; the only conversions are the halberd and the base)

This belongs in the painting thread, but I really dig what you did with the gritty armor. Looks ace and I bet it didn't take you a long time either. What kind of varnish did you use? Was it testors dullcote?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

BULBASAUR posted:

I thought they were the same thing in the pre-heresy? Back then their colors were black, iron, and yellow. Pretty rad actually.

Well, the germanic cross(?) specifically is what made the black half say 'templars' to me, rather than just a black-heavier variant on a Fists scheme. Of course, it's possible that they had that too and I'm just ignorant of it.

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
The Black Templars are a successor chapter of the fists, could be its a templar land raider dating from all the way back to their founding and they got lazy about painting it halfway through.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

BULBASAUR posted:

Don't forget about THE SPARTAN ASSAULT TANK, grand daddy to all land raiders, fought in 2 world wars, smoked 2 packs every day, made love to every woman in town, and died only after he felt it was agreeable.

The Spartan Assault Tank is not a Land Raider variant. :colbert:

Hollismason posted:

I think I'm remembering right but wasn't 3rd edition like the BRB for 3rd didn't it have good Tyranid rules?

Tyranids have followed a really weird downward spiral over the editions. In 2Ed they were straight-up broken, with Carnifexes having ten wounds, the whole army moving as fast as the fastest other models in the game (Hormagaunts could run 21", for example), everything being straight-out immune to anything that referenced their Leadership, etc, etc. Basically they were a huge pile of special exceptions to the rules (in a good way.) 3Ed toned that down a lot, but they were still playing their own unique game compared to most armies- there was a whole "Hive Fleet customization" minigame that you could play that let you alter the stats and availability of all your units, plus you could then also tack on unique mutations to specific models. 4E was the "build-a-bug" codex that realistically boiled down to "take a Flyrant and six Carnifexes with minimum Genestealer troops."

The problem is that GW wants Tyranids to be unique, even amongst the xenos codices, but doesn't actually do a very good job writing the book in such a way as to support their nominal primary strategy. Tyranids have, historically speaking, been pretty terrible as an assault army and that's absolutely bizarre. The lack invulnerable saves, the vulnerability to ID, the slow movement speed, and other factors have just made them complete non-competitors in that arena, meaning that all of their successful builds have relied on shooting for functionality.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Pretty much. The best assault unit in my Tyranid detachment is the hive tyrant. If it's in assault, it usually means things have gone horribly wrong.

The primary assault unit in my Tyranid list is my imperial knight.

Though I did bog down a squad of marines containing Lysander in assault for five game turns by spawning over 70 termagaunts from one Tervigon. That was fun.

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009
I'm looking at the Renegades and Heretics list, and I have to ask - at 1850, what's a good amount of points to sink into blobs of scoring infantry? With cheap Plague Zombies and ways to make mobs of 3 point Mutants Fearless via CSM allies, I'm very excited. At the same time, I don't want to invest too much into units that are essentially going to set someplace, soak fire, and try very hard to get me an objective.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Hamshot posted:

The Black Templars are a successor chapter of the fists, could be its a templar land raider dating from all the way back to their founding and they got lazy about painting it halfway through.

It looks like it's done for 30k since Sigismund and his company used his personal heraldry. Which when the legions split, became the Black Templars.

a cat youtube
Jun 25, 2013
have they made a 40k equivalent of the warhammer uniforms and heradly books, specifically IG?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

a cat youtube posted:

have they made a 40k equivalent of the warhammer uniforms and heradly books, specifically IG?

Lexicanum has tons of them, the codex itself has quite a few, IA1 has lots and lots of vehicle paint schemes although they're generally not too fancy.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
CUT IT OUT

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
lmao he really does have a script that alerts him when someone says his name doesn't he

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

ghetto wormhole posted:

lmao he really does have a script that alerts him when someone says his name doesn't he

Either that or he just browses the thread but doesn't post.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

AbusePuppy posted:

I don't hate the model, but it does bring up one thing that really bugs (HURR!) me sometimes: does Games Workshop not realize that people have to transport their models to and from places, ideally without them breaking into a hundred tiny pieces? I like fancy kits as much as the next guy, but a model like this is just borderline unusable because there's just no way you're going to be able to fit it into a case or foam without it taking up a hideously unreasonable amount of space.

To be fair it looks pretty trivial to make a small pin on the end of the tentacles (which seem to be all one piece) and just pop it in a drill hole each time, a friend of mine does that with his maulerfiend.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Lord Twisted posted:

To be fair it looks pretty trivial to make a small pin on the end of the tentacles (which seem to be all one piece) and just pop it in a drill hole each time, a friend of mine does that with his maulerfiend.

I'm sure pinning is trivial for those of you who started playing with old metal minis that fell apart without it, but as a newer player my response to anything that needs pinning is "gently caress off, never going to buy it"

Tiny rear end drill bits and a hand drill for making magnet holes in tanks and walkers and turrets and arms is hard enough already.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Oct 28, 2014

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Abusepuppy missed the Land Raider Ares and the one with the lascannons that block its other lascannons. Terminus maybe?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

I think it's been retconned since no more rules exist, or am I wrong?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Sorry to double post but here are the actual rules to the new bugs. Enjoy, but please do not break loose:

quote:

Toxicrene 160-ish pts (Heavy Choice, unit composition: 1)

WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv
3 3 5 6 5 3 6 8 4+

Special rules
Fearless, Instinctive behavior (feed), Poisoned 2+, Shrouded, Hypertoxic (6's to wound inflicted by poisoned weapons whether in combat and in shooting= instant death)

Weapons/Biomorphs
Acid Blood, Choking cloud, Lash whips, Toxic miasma

Choking cloud
Rng S AP Type
12" 3 - Assault 1, Ignores cover, Large Blast, Poisoned 2+, Hypertoxic, Predatory sentience (Gets armorbane against open topped vehicles
and vehicles that have already lost one or
more hull points)

Maleceptor 205-ish points (Elites Choice, unit composition: 1)

WS BS S T W I A Ld Sv
3 3 6 6 5 3 3 10 4+

Special rules
Psyker (lv 2)
Shadow in the warp
Synapse Creature

Weapons/Biomorphs
Scything talos

Powers
Maleceptor always knows Psychic Overload and must generate the remainder of its powers from the Hive Mind chart

Psychic Overload: Warp charge 2. Focused Witchfire. Range 24". Target must take a Ld test on 3d6 (Vehicles can be affected as well and count as having Ld 10 for the attack). If the test is failed the target takes d3 wounds no armor/cover saves allowed. Vehicles that fail take a glancing hit with no cover allowed. The psyker may attempt to manifest this power up to 3 times in each of its psychic phases. Each attempt must be resolved separately. However a single enemy unit cannot be the target of Psychic Overload more than once a psychic phase.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
oh, i guess that's why you called me.

160 points for a ws3 close combat mc with a 5+ save, no movement options, and a 30% chance of not being able to function on its own turn lol

and what's the other one? a 205 point zoanthrope replacement but worse in every conceivable way? stellar.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Lungboy posted:

Abusepuppy missed the Land Raider Ares and the one with the lascannons that block its other lascannons. Terminus maybe?

I can find information about what the Ares is easily enough, but I can't actually find any rules for it

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Jesus Christ, those are bad. The toxic one's pointless in the Heavy Support slot and will never see any use. I have no idea what it's going to accomplish with its awful cloud which is AP- because Tyranids. As for the psychic thing, they should've just made that into something like a toned-down Doom instead of a terrible wannabe sniper/dice-hog.

SRM posted:

Man, I am really not a fan of those new Nids. I'm usually pretty positive about new GW releases, but comparing those Nids to the Nagash stuff is just a complete joke. Don't know why they couldn't have put out a Zoanthrope/Venomthrope plastic kit instead of introducing two more MCs to an army already bloated with MCs.
This also sucks about this release. Plastic zoanthropes and venomthropes would be fantastic. Personally, I own three of both models in metal and I'd pretty happily switch them out for plastic any day. They're probably better balanced in finecast, but mine are top heavy doofuses that fall over at any opportunity. On the other hand, I can't even imagine how fragile a finecast venomthrope would be. :stonk:

Edit: The new power takes two warp charges? Hahahahahahahaha :wtc:

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Oct 28, 2014

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
The Toxicrene *could* be useful in a niche kind of way. It's pretty lethal to MCs (and especially Wraith-stuff), although it's debatable if a Dimachaeron is better. Really it boils down to another unit easily capable of killing massed infantry and light vehicles, which was never an issue for Tyranids to begin with. Good if you want to run a theme list with Malanthropes and Venomthropes I guess, but nothing exciting.

That Maleceptor is actually insultingly bad. It needs 12 warp charges per turn to make use of it's power, but only generates 2 and has BS3 to boot. That won't be an issue of course as the 4+/5++ means it'll be a smoking crater by turn 2. They say never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity, but the only explanation I have for this is that the rules writers are both dumb AND wanted to send a big 'gently caress-you' to Tyranid players.

Safety Factor posted:

On the other hand, I can't even imagine how fragile a finecast venomthrope would be. :stonk:
They're actually pretty good. The tentacles are just thick enough to be 'bouncy' and are pretty resistant to being knocked over. I have 6 resin Venomthropes and keep them loose on top of my box of guants, I've never had one damaged. Unlike Zoanthropes. loving Zoanthropes.

xtothez fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Oct 28, 2014

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

xtothez posted:

a Dimachaeron

you made that up

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Broken Loose posted:

you made that up

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

LordAba posted:

The psychic beast sounds neat. You can snipe out dude! Sure it has crappy armor, but it has a 5++! Then you realize to actually use it you need 12 dice for a lvl 2 psyker. It can scare other psyker characters and a wraithknight, but good luck getting it within 24" of anything worth it beyond a plasma gunner or power fist guy.

Mind War is never used for much the same reason (and it got nerfed this edition by the latest rules for Focused Witchfire). Farseers are crosseyed, you know.

Oh well, Ol' Bugeyes will always own, throughout time. Forever.

Holy poo poo, just being a sorcerer is neato:

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

fw made a deathleaper? holy poo poo that's really detailed even if the claws and armor are hideous. got any other angles?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
So I've been commissioned to do a kind of crazy project. I'm assembling/painting an SM army made up entirely from random mini's me and client have scavenged out of bit boxes and eBay lots over the years. I basically have free reign except he calls some shots (pretty standard for commissioned armies I guess). His paint scheme of choice is primarily black with red accents and trim. Very similar to the BA Death Company scheme. Were going with this because its the scheme the first minis we chose for the army were originally painted in (in heavy coats of testors enamel of course!) by some angsty ten year old.

What I want to know (I am super rusty on 40k lore) is if there is an actual chapter that uses that scheme or a very similar one?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Broken Loose posted:

fw made a deathleaper? holy poo poo that's really detailed even if the claws and armor are hideous. got any other angles?

Bit bigger than a Deathleaper I believe

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Oct 28, 2014

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
As with most Tyranid MCs, its rules are

poo poo

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

SRM posted:

Man, I am really not a fan of those new Nids. I'm usually pretty positive about new GW releases, but comparing those Nids to the Nagash stuff is just a complete joke. Don't know why they couldn't have put out a Zoanthrope/Venomthrope plastic kit instead of introducing two more MCs to an army already bloated with MCs.

Yeah this :agreed: 100%

:vomarine:

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

BULBASAUR posted:

poo poo

Other than the 6" movement, it's very solid since nothing will want to get within a foot of it. Plus it has fleet, which helps a lot. The leaping is odd because of the huge base, but you can basically ignore terrain with it.

Unlike the new stuff. And holy gently caress warp charge 2? You need at least 6 dice? Or an average of 18 dice for a statistically reasonable chance? And S3 armorbane? WHY.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

LordAba posted:

Other than the 6" movement, it's very solid since nothing will want to get within a foot of it. Plus it has fleet, which helps a lot. The leaping is odd because of the huge base, but you can basically ignore terrain with it.

Unlike the new stuff. And holy gently caress warp charge 2? You need at least 6 dice? Or an average of 18 dice for a statistically reasonable chance? And S3 armorbane? WHY.

Remember you need an extra charge for the focused part to work~

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Hey the OP is a little out of date but I was wondering what podcasts goons now recommend to keep up to date with warham news and goings on

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

El Estrago Bonito posted:

So I've been commissioned to do a kind of crazy project. I'm assembling/painting an SM army made up entirely from random mini's me and client have scavenged out of bit boxes and eBay lots over the years. I basically have free reign except he calls some shots (pretty standard for commissioned armies I guess). His paint scheme of choice is primarily black with red accents and trim. Very similar to the BA Death Company scheme. Were going with this because its the scheme the first minis we chose for the army were originally painted in (in heavy coats of testors enamel of course!) by some angsty ten year old.

What I want to know (I am super rusty on 40k lore) is if there is an actual chapter that uses that scheme or a very similar one?

Flesh Tearers I think might be along the lines of what you are looking for, possibly other blood angels successors.

Obviously this is just to point you in the right direction.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Oct 28, 2014

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Herr Tog posted:

Hey the OP is a little out of date but I was wondering what podcasts goons now recommend to keep up to date with warham news and goings on

What's out of date so I can change it? I don't look it over constantly but if something's wrong I'd be happy to update it.

Also lol at being given another two 6"-movement MCs. The venom-based one is okay and situationally good, but the psychic one is just bad, bad, bad. I especially hate the look of its head and I don't expect to be picking up either one at least for a long while.

We're now back to the 5th/6th Tyranid problem, where the Elite and Heavy Support slots are too full of obviously "best" options to ever see some of the more "interesting" ones. I might consider fielding a Toxicrene if a Malanthrope and two Zoanthropes weren't the hands-down best options available.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Master Twig posted:

Though I did bog down a squad of marines containing Lysander in assault for five game turns by spawning over 70 termagaunts from one Tervigon. That was fun.

Last editions codex, right? Tervigons can't make babies into assault no more :(

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
With the toxicrene, do Tyranids need help killing other monstrous creatures? Tons of units can get toxin sacs, rending, or both. Hive tyrants can even take boneswords for a chance at instant death. True, boneswords aren't exactly prevalent right now, but they're an option. This new thing is really not doing anything that other units can't already. The models themselves aren't bad, if pretty lackluster, but the rules are downright terrible. I don't see a niche for either of these things.

BULBASAUR posted:

poo poo
:itwaspoo:

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

muggins posted:

Last editions codex, right? Tervigons can't make babies into assault no more :(

Nope. The turn 1 babies assaulted turn 2, the turn 2 babies assaulted turn 3, etc etc.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

With the toxicrene, do Tyranids need help killing other monstrous creatures? Tons of units can get toxin sacs, rending, or both. Hive tyrants can even take boneswords for a chance at instant death. True, boneswords aren't exactly prevalent right now, but they're an option. This new thing is really not doing anything that other units can't already. The models themselves aren't bad, if pretty lackluster, but the rules are downright terrible. I don't see a niche for either of these things.

:itwaspoo:

Not really, I don't have issues killing other T6 with stuff like dakkafexes but in melee they are still only I2, I do run stonecrushers but they have a reputation in the local game group and most people scream in terror and deploy as far away as possible if they can, plus all their power is in the charge. That one is interesting since it has shrouded baked in it doesn't need to huddle up next to my malanthropes for their bubble (of course a broadside unit won't give two fucks but that's besides the point) and WS3 wasn't a surprise at all, but if it really has 6 attacks at I6 because lash whips I would probably use it in a foot MC assault list. (It's not good but it's fun)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

raverrn posted:

Remember you need an extra charge for the focused part to work~

How's that?

I ask because I really don't know.

• Locked thread