Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

If it's anything like BL2, having more players actually decreases the drop rates, which they did to account for there being more enemies overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I've been playing almost exclusively with 2 other people for co-op and drop rates are just as bad if not worse than solo.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

mycot posted:

I looked to see if I missed a "greatness" stack anywhere, but nope. All you get is inspiration.

what else could you possibly need

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Reaaaally curious how that Doppleganger's "inspiration" skill plays out. Really titillated.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I know it's going to give some kind of temporary buff to you and your teammates but inside I am hoping it does absolutely nothing but make Jack say more voice lines.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

I've hit some kind of wall :( My level 34 Athena is at the Drakensburg (TVHM) and I'm being taken down in a few shots at most :smith:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Just bought this game. I'm leaning towards Nisha because I really really like pistols. We'll see how this goes I guess.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Nisha's dual wielding pistols skill and that O2 kit type that increases accuracy while you're airborne is basically Max Payne mode. Leap through the air and empty all your ammo into some dude's head gently caress it go hog wild :getin:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chasiubao posted:

I've hit some kind of wall :( My level 34 Athena is at the Drakensburg (TVHM) and I'm being taken down in a few shots at most :smith:

TVHM is where you gotta start picking the guns and shields that compliment your class, not just what you like to use. You may need to start checking vending machines for a better shield upgrade.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Fauxtool posted:

TVHM is where you gotta start picking the guns and shields that compliment your class, not just what you like to use. You may need to start checking vending machines for a better shield upgrade.

Hmm. Any guidance on what guns and shields would compliment a Captain America build then? I tend to choose Anshin resistance shields, and my guns are a hodgepodge.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I'm using adaptive on my Phalanx / Ceraunic Storm build. For guns, at that level I was able to start getting some use out of Conduit, so I was preferring a couple of shock weapons, and then whatever else had the best damage that was not shock - with being able to hip shoot effectively, so basically no snipers, at least for me.

It wasn't until I started running into the Ascended Lost Legion that I really needed to use the non shock weapons much.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Adaptive shields seem totally broken (in a good way) for me. They seem to resist nearly all the elemental damage ticks I would normally get rather than the 20-30% listed. I will always use one given the choice.

Also level 34 at that quest mission is a weird point in tvhm. It feels like that quest should be level 33. There's not enough XP to get yourself to 35 which is what that story quest is rated for unless you did the vast majority of side quests in pt1.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Decided to go with Athena instead and hot drat this shield is satisfying.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Is there a reason they decided to force the annoying scientist from the Hammerlock DLC into the game? Do people actually like this character?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Tezzeract posted:

Been testing out BL2 with guaranteed legendaries and it feels like a good baseline for how combat should be. Fun weapon effects and decent firepower makes the game more fun. Also, being underleveled by 2-3 levels can still kill you in BL2 even with all legendaries.

The default drop rates in BL2 really are that bad - I haven't seen a blue drop from a Badass unlike in TPS.

I feel like giving BL2 another lick, how you doing this? I'm assuming its the script stuff and while i got that working at one point, BL2 patched pretty much the next day and ruined it again. :argh:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Dyz posted:

Is there a reason they decided to force the annoying scientist from the Hammerlock DLC into the game? Do people actually like this character?

Assuming you're talking about Nakayama, there's a very minor story reason but other than that it's just because he dies in Borderlands 2 and by this point he hasn't been killed yet so :shrug:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I find it kind of funny how a middle aged scientist is the "senpai, notice me" character. :shrug:

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Thyrork posted:

I feel like giving BL2 another lick, how you doing this? I'm assuming its the script stuff and while i got that working at one point, BL2 patched pretty much the next day and ruined it again. :argh:

On the BL2 OP there's a cheatengine script that you can download. The process is a bit convoluted - you have to start the game, start the script, sync the script and then finally select your presets. I used the only legendaries one, and voila - going to a locker would give me a legendary shield or an Unkempt Harold.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Does anyone know a way to use gibbed's editor to unmark a weapon as a quest item? I want to complete all the quests in playthrough 2 on Athena, but I don't want to lose my vibra-pulse. If I turn in the quest the weapon vanishes, is there any way around that other than not turning in that quest?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Reveilled posted:

Does anyone know a way to use gibbed's editor to unmark a weapon as a quest item? I want to complete all the quests in playthrough 2 on Athena, but I don't want to lose my vibra-pulse. If I turn in the quest the weapon vanishes, is there any way around that other than not turning in that quest?

Try just marking the quest as completed.

LackinPants!
Mar 25, 2007
He actually isn't
Ran into an odd problem. When reloading a save everything my character had equipped on their person disappeared along with all my cash/moonstones. I'm on Steam, so I assume I've lost everything due to cloud save synching, but does anyone know how to revert to a previous state or a restoration method?

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Reveilled posted:

Can you copy the weapon code and give yourself a second copy of it? Or will it still be marked as a mission item then and you'll just have 2 of them?

LackinPants! posted:

Ran into an odd problem. When reloading a save everything my character had equipped on their person disappeared along with all my cash/moonstones. I'm on Steam, so I assume I've lost everything due to cloud save synching, but does anyone know how to revert to a previous state or a restoration method?

Someone might have more experience with messing with Steam saves to get your stuff back. I suggest adding the weapons you want back with Gibbed.

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
Yeah you can just create a new version of the item with Gibbed if you want. It's pretty easy to use, as long as you select the right weapon base type the unique version will appear in the options for it.

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW
I started the game as Nisha, then rolled over to Claptrap, beat the game as Wilhelm, but am now playing TVHM as Athena.

It kinda sucks on bosses, but rushing from enemy to enemy with that melee augment is crazy fun.

Cryo AoE nades are terrific as well.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I've realised the weapon doesn't appear in gibbed's editor, because it's a quest item it's apparently dynamically spawned in by the game every time I log in, so copying the code is out, but I was able to just make a new pistol which had the Probe's properties, so that suits just fine. :)

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
5 Second google gave me this -

BLOZ(igAAAAB6qgDFywE9DiOTKWBiwsSCpQTT/38WTDOYDvAAYLHFhIPl)

Gibbed Paste code for a Potent Probe. Modify to taste.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I respecced/geared Athena into a melee build and man, I am not digging it anywhere near as much as melee Zer0. She's like a version of Zer0 that:
-basically is always in deception no matter what
-doesn't have to worry about building damage by killing weaker enemies first
-doesn't have to risk letting the deception timer run down for a damage boost against tougher dudes
-doesn't have to maneuver behind enemies or decide if it's worth spending deception time to do so
-doesn't have to think about where to place a decoy
-doesn't have kunai to apply death mark (though admittedly shooting a bullet to get Gun Kata to kick in is kinda similar)
-doesn't have to chain kill things quickly to keep deception going
-doesn't have to leave enough deception time leftover to hide during the cooldown if necessary
-can't spam dash on faraway enemies to traverse an area in a quick and fun way

Just point at anything from any direction at any time, hit the melee button for an instant kill, repeat for the next guy. She's super boring by comparison. I also think that roid shields are an annoying and stupid mechanic to deal with so I don't appreciate that shooting star has a far shorter recharge delay than love thumper.

I think I'll ditch roid shields entirely and spec into some more gun skills for a hybrid melee/gun setup, even if it means I'm intentionally gimping myself.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Vargs posted:

I respecced/geared Athena into a melee build and man, I am not digging it anywhere near as much as melee Zer0. She's like a version of Zer0 that:
-doesn't have to risk letting the deception timer run down for a damage boost against tougher dudes
-doesn't have to maneuver behind enemies or decide if it's worth spending deception time to do so
-doesn't have kunai to apply death mark (though admittedly shooting a bullet to get Gun Kata to kick in is kinda similar)
-doesn't have to leave enough deception time leftover to hide during the cooldown if necessary

Just point at anything from any direction at any time, hit the melee button for an instant kill, repeat for the next guy. She's super boring by comparison. I also think that roid shields are an annoying and stupid mechanic to deal with so I don't appreciate that shooting star has a far shorter recharge delay than love thumper.

I think I'll ditch roid shields entirely and spec into some more gun skills for a hybrid melee/gun setup, even if it means I'm intentionally gimping myself.

There is the one caveat that she doesn't deploy a decoy or turn invisible, so she is constantly being shot at through all this. However that does for your idea of balancing, YMMV.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Vargs posted:

I don't know if I'm crazy or what, but it's exactly BECAUSE Athena's melee tree is less finnicky and hard to use that I enjoy it. Many Must Fall was cool, but it was just not effective enough, especially in multiplayer. Athena being able to ALWAYS be dashing if you play correctly makes it way more fun and speedy for me.

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!
Jack's Hero of the Story entire line from top to bottom is excellent. If you like pets (and I like Axton/Wilelm) that is going to be a strong build.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Claptrap's Fragmented tree is loving weird. I like it in theory but it's a bit too random for my tastes.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Zer0 was just badly designed and implemented, I think, with a tree that generally got him into trouble without great ways of getting out, and relying on an action skill that was most effective when he least needed it. They may have gone too far in the other direction with Athena, but too much is always better than not enough.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

I really love it when enemies can instakill things that you need to protect for a mission if they happen to spawn with a certain type of weapon. :suicide:

Edit: Or y'know, any weapon at all really.

watho fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 28, 2014

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Enjoying the new class mechanics, but not the game's polish. Quests have dumb ways of glitching and guns feel and sound awful and weak.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

gently caress EVERYTHING. I managed to protect that god drat thing for once but I got perma-frozen so after firing the moonshot I restarted the game so I wouldn't move at a snail's pace and the mission got set as "failed". :suicide:

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

watho posted:

gently caress EVERYTHING. I managed to protect that god drat thing for once but I got perma-frozen so after firing the moonshot I restarted the game so I wouldn't move at a snail's pace and the mission got set as "failed". :suicide:

I actually got on top of it while it was moving down the conveyer belt then got stuck and glitched through the wall. Had to restart it to complete it but man was that annoying.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

watho posted:

If that ever happens again, it wears off if you gain another status effect. I've only tested it with cryo, but I've heard it works with any. Just walk up to a barrel and get yourself covered in elemental goo.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Reveilled posted:

If that ever happens again, it wears off if you gain another status effect. I've only tested it with cryo, but I've heard it works with any. Just walk up to a barrel and get yourself covered in elemental goo.

That's cool. I've had it happen to me twice and I just restarted both times because it's really annoying.

Oh well, finally managed to beat that mission, not fun at all.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Should I get this game? As a guy who beat BL1 just once but didn't get past the very first Sanctuary bit in BL2, would this be an alright buy?
Not sure if I'd like to plunder Elpis of its resources shootmans and lootmans with lasers and ice stuff.

widespread fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

widespread posted:

Should I get this game? As a guy who beat BL1 just once but didn't get past the very first Sanctuary bit in BL2, would this be an alright buy?
Not sure if I'd like to plunder Elpis of its resources shootmans and lootmans with lasers and ice stuff.

Really that depends on why you didn't play more than a few hours into BL2.

• Locked thread