Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

whatever7 posted:

Robot nurse, hurry the gently caress up Japan.
I'm sure there are a million of them just waiting to be shown at press conferences and maybe in one hospital somewhere for the sake of demonstration, and then that's it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Navaash posted:

Funny you mentioned them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxL383jN484

The head of Zaitokukai, Makoto Sakurai, and Osaka mayor Hashimoto got into a shouting match the other day. Notable is that Hashimoto, who I don't agree with 99% of the time, straight out says "we don't need your kind in this city" and calls Sakurai racist, to which Sakurai gets defensive.

My Japanese is a bit rusty so I didn't catch everything they're saying, but that's rather stronger language than I'd have expected.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I'd never seen Sakurai before, but gently caress me, he looks like such a loving oval office.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

So, there's a new trade minister in and, jesus gently caress. :ughh: He hasn't wasted any time at all.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/23/us-japan-politics-idUSKCN0IC09920141023

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/10/24/us-japan-tepco-idUSKCN0ID03C20141024?feedType=RSS&feedName=worldNews

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
2万 at a bar and 20万 worth of stock? Who gives a poo poo?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Are there going to be any politicians left in Japan after they get everyone who wined and dined someone at a hostess bar?

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy
The Smile Party.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

That's what, maybe 10 or 15 drinks? Sounds like a pretty tame night out for Japan, frankly.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Reverend Cheddar posted:

The Smile Party.
Somehow, Mac Akasaka has also wined and dined a campaign contributor at a hostess bar. Maybe whoever provides his costumes, I dunno.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Vagabundo posted:

I'd never seen Sakurai before, but gently caress me, he looks like such a loving oval office.

Every time I see any of these dudes they're always old impotent guys or young impotent guys. They're never scary, they just come off as huge dorks. Like at the beginning of that video I don't know how the press didn't lose it when he was yelling at them.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
i'd like to learn more about Imperial Japan. Anyone know any good books on the subject, please?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Darth Walrus posted:

i'd like to learn more about Imperial Japan. Anyone know any good books on the subject, please?
Depending on who you ask, that's either a few specific times through Japanese history going back thousands of years, or it is ALL of Japanese history. Which do you mean exactly?

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Depending on who you ask, that's either a few specific times through Japanese history going back thousands of years, or it is ALL of Japanese history. Which do you mean exactly?

Recent history of course.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I'm guessing he means Commodore Perry or Meiji Restoration to WWII?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
In that case I misunderstood, I thought he merely meant the time when Japan had an emperor, which includes now. If you mean history from the 1860s to 1945 or so, I'm afraid I've forgotten the name of the textbook I read.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

In that case I misunderstood, I thought he merely meant the time when Japan had an emperor, which includes now. If you mean history from the 1860s to 1945 or so, I'm afraid I've forgotten the name of the textbook I read.

Hasn't Japan always had an "Emperor" at least in name since the 800s?

mystes
May 31, 2006

pentyne posted:

Hasn't Japan always had an "Emperor" at least in name since the 800s?
Thus his previous post?

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
It's obvious when someone asks about Imperial Japan what they mean not a contest about who knows more. This isn't Reddit.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

hadji murad posted:

It's obvious when someone asks about Imperial Japan what they mean not a contest about who knows more. This isn't Reddit.
I'm sorry, it actually wasn't to me. I mean, it is now, but only in retrospect. It's been a long time since I studied this stuff so I definitely can't claim to have superior knowledge about it.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I went ninja edit wow racism and apologize for being rude so sorry for being brisk.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
If you want an in depth reading list tha covers the Meiji Restoration to VJ Day, then you'd probably be better off just looking up university Japanese history course syllabuses.
If you're mainly just interested in something that gives a good overview of WW2, Saburo Ienaga's The Pacific War: 1931-1945 is a solid primer. It's particularly valuable for its inclusion of accounts of domestic resistance to expansionist ambitions by the military and its examination of the escalation of tensions that resulted in the collapse of diplomatic relations between Japan and the US. It's difficult to recommend books on the period because many of them are riddled with omissions or cherry pick primary sources. There have been literal tons of books written about the war, each with its own axes to grind. Case in point, Ienaga's books have an ax to grind with the sanitized, government-approved histories. That's one of the reasons I think it serves as a good primer, since it covers things that get glossed over or left out of many mainstream narratives.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I was thinking more about Japanese society during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries - what it was like to live in it, and how the country psychologically geared itself up for the hosed-up poo poo it committed. You know, like the stuff you tend to get in a history of Germany from 1920-40.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

I was thinking more about Japanese society during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries - what it was like to live in it, and how the country psychologically geared itself up for the hosed-up poo poo it committed. You know, like the stuff you tend to get in a history of Germany from 1920-40.

There's a huge gap in the mentality pre and post WW1. During the Russo-Japanese war the Japanese army played by the standard rules, no mistreatment of prisoners, no callously massacring civilians or forcing soldiers to kill themselves rather then surrender. After WW1 and with the rise of extreme right wingers that mentality infected the entire military and culture to where killing an entire Oknianwan village rather then letting them surrender to the Americans was seen as a noble thing to do. The Japanese front line soldiers were also extremely brainwashed by the leaders, told the Americans killed all prisoners, ate corpses, raped woman and children etc. so for the Japanese that were taken into POW and given 3 meals and a cot they literally couldn't believe it. A lot of it was certainly "Oh they're even worse then us" but the Japanese did some barbaric poo poo that was only topped by the Holocaust as far as serious war crimes went.

The leaders involved jumped in whole heartedly without any concern for "human rights" or "morality". Non-Japanese were literally subhuman scum, which is why you had actual rape camps established to service the military with each woman forced to have sex with 50+ soldiers a day.

The rest of the population was either ignorant or assumed they deserved it, and in the decades after began a campaign of deliberately re-writing history to say those things never happened. I'd be really curious for a survey of Japanese schoolchildren who know anything about WW2 other then who won and lost, and the atomic bombings. I'd say the country as a whole never "geared-up" for anything, the people in charge of things like Unit 731 probably thought of their subjects as the same as lab rats, and once everything was said and done and some people held responsible by tribunals the rest of the people involved just re-absorbed back into society and would probably look back on their war crimes as "well it's just one of those things you do during war, but we were forced into it"

Found this good bit on the wiki page

quote:

The Japanese government sought to suppress information about captured personnel. On 27 December 1941, it established a POW Information Bureau within the Ministry of the Army to manage information concerning Japanese POWs. While the Bureau cataloged information provided by the Allies via the Red Cross identifying POWs, it did not pass this information on to the families of the prisoners. When individuals wrote to the Bureau to inquire if their relative had been taken prisoner, it appears that the Bureau provided a reply which neither confirmed or denied whether the man was a prisoner. Although the Bureau's role included facilitating mail between POWs and their families, this was not carried out as the families were not notified and few POWs wrote home. The lack of communication with their families increased the POWs feelings of being cut off from Japanese society.

Japanese POWs held in Allied prisoner of war camps were treated in accordance with the Geneva Convention.[53] By 1943 the Allied governments were aware that personnel who had been captured by the Japanese military were being held in harsh conditions. In an attempt to win better treatment for their POWs, the Allies made extensive efforts to notify the Japanese government of the good conditions in Allied POW camps.[54] This was not successful, however, as the Japanese government refused to recognise the existence of captured Japanese military personnel.[55] Nevertheless, Japanese POWs in Allied camps continued to be treated in accordance with the Geneva Conventions until the end of the war

All in all, gently caress WW2 Imperial Japan and the fact that everyone growing up in Japan doesn't know this and leading politicians continue to deny and whitewash the history is the fault of the US military letting tons of extreme right wing collaborators in the private sector cozy up to the US and promise to keep communism out so they were given a pass. Said right wingers simply went underground till the 70s, and after amassing an extreme amount of wealth used said money and influence to push right wing nationalism back to the forefront.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 15, 2014

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

pentyne posted:

There's a huge gap in the mentality pre and post WW1. During the Russo-Japanese war the Japanese army played by the standard rules, no mistreatment of prisoners, no callously massacring civilians or forcing soldiers to kill themselves rather then surrender. After WW1 and with the rise of extreme right wingers that mentality infected the entire military and culture to where killing an entire Oknianwan village rather then letting them surrender to the Americans was seen as a noble thing to do. The Japanese front line soldiers were also extremely brainwashed by the leaders, told the Americans killed all prisoners, ate corpses, raped woman and children etc. so for the Japanese that were taken into POW and given 3 meals and a cot they literally couldn't believe it. A lot of it was certainly "Oh they're even worse then us" but the Japanese did some barbaric poo poo that was only topped by the Holocaust as far as serious war crimes went.

The leaders involved jumped in whole heartedly without any concern for "human rights" or "morality". Non-Japanese were literally subhuman scum, which is why you had actual rape camps established to service the military with each woman forced to have sex with 50+ soldiers a day.

The rest of the population was either ignorant or assumed they deserved it, and in the decades after began a campaign of deliberately re-writing history to say those things never happened. I'd be really curious for a survey of Japanese schoolchildren who know anything about WW2 other then who won and lost, and the atomic bombings. I'd say the country as a whole never "geared-up" for anything, the people in charge of things like Unit 731 probably thought of their subjects as the same as lab rats, and once everything was said and done and some people held responsible by tribunals the rest of the people involved just re-absorbed back into society and would probably look back on their war crimes as "well it's just one of those things you do during war, but we were forced into it"

Found this good bit on the wiki page

All in all, gently caress WW2 Imperial Japan and the fact that everyone growing up in Japan doesn't know this and leading politicians continue to deny and whitewash the history is the fault of the US military letting tons of extreme right wing collaborators in the private sector cozy up to the US and promise to keep communism out so they were given a pass. Said right wingers simply went underground till the 70s, and after amassing an extreme amount of wealth used said money and influence to push right wing nationalism back to the forefront.

I would have assumed, though, that a nation as totalitarian as Imperial Japan wouldn't have been altogether pleasant to its own citizens. What was it like to actually live there? How did they instil their paranoid hypernationalism, and what were the costs for people who couldn't measure up, didn't fit in, or actively went against it? I hear a lot about what the nice people running the Empire did to the rest of the world, but what did they do to their own people? Or was it actually pretty OK if you were Japanese, with the other countries bearing the brunt?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Darth Walrus posted:

I would have assumed, though, that a nation as totalitarian as Imperial Japan wouldn't have been altogether pleasant to its own citizens. What was it like to actually live there? How did they instil their paranoid hypernationalism, and what were the costs for people who couldn't measure up, didn't fit in, or actively went against it? I hear a lot about what the nice people running the Empire did to the rest of the world, but what did they do to their own people? Or was it actually pretty OK if you were Japanese, with the other countries bearing the brunt?

That previous post paints things a little rosy. The Japanese were *still* an Imperialist power, since at least the 1890s (the first Sino-Japanese War) where they lopped off part of Mainland China and Taiwan. If anything, the end of WW1 only fueled their ambitions because they were granted even more parts of China.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

It was pretty horrific for the civilians by and large. One of the reasons Japan's police forces lagged so far behind other nations (they didn't have a national FBI equivalent until the late 70s/80s) was because the police/secret police during the Imperial reign brutalized the population and Japanese who grew up with those experiences absolutely refused to support a larger and more powerful police agency because they feared it being turned against them. I don't think there were any major movements against it, one reason being fear but another reason being that it was all done with the permission/acceptance of the Emperor (or was so assumed) and Japan didn't have a culture of worker rebellions/uprisings to the same degree as other places where similar things happened.

Imagine if when the FBI was created it did clamp down on interstate crime but was also a tool to punish anyone anything deemed dissent by a cabal of leaders who didn't have to answer to anyone. That's more or less how the post WW1 Japanese police operated, and then became drastically worse during wartime, which for them started in 1931.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
One story I heard was that some teachers got in trouble for having their students write essays about their daily life. Since their students were poor, these essays of course reflected their poverty. The government felt this was reflecting poorly on the nation and punished the teachers for it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm glad someone remembers this stuff better than me. All I remember is that there was a brief time in the early 20th century when it looked like Japan might become the first completely self-made liberal democracy in Asia, but those dreams were quickly dashed. Making a stable democracy when you're only a few decades away from feudalism is...hard.

Protocol 5
Sep 23, 2004

"I can't wait until cancer inevitably chokes the life out of Curt Schilling."
The Taisho democratic reforms failed mainly because after the Russian Revolution, the political elite had the same fears as their counterparts in Europe and stomped down hard on anything that looked like it might mean getting overthrown and put up against a wall somewhere. Radicals in the JCP actually attempted to assassinate Hirohito when he was still Prince Regent, so the fears weren't entirely unfounded. This is what lead to hard-right paramilitary fraternal societies getting involved in politics with the backing of the old-school ex-samurai behind the Satsuma Rebellion who had become regional kingmakers. They were essentially quasi-independent ultra-nationalist black-ops-for-hire squads, and joining or allying with one of them was a big leg up in a political or military career. The parallels with Weimar Germany are pretty obvious, except there were never any serious efforts to suppress Japanese paramilitaries.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

pentyne posted:

(they didn't have a national FBI equivalent until the late 70s/80s)
That's a bizarre way to demonstrate how good/non-corrupt a nation's police is. The UK didn't get an FBI equivalent until last year, do you think it's the most hosed up nation on earth?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

ookiimarukochan posted:

That's a bizarre way to demonstrate how good/non-corrupt a nation's police is. The UK didn't get an FBI equivalent until last year, do you think it's the most hosed up nation on earth?

No, I think Ireland is.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ookiimarukochan posted:

It was more a point that the voting population strenuously resisted any attempt to create a national police force as a result of how oppressive and brutal the state police were back then. There are much better criticism for the Japanese police/justice system but none of them really linked back to pre-war abuses.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

ookiimarukochan posted:

I thought Scotland Yard was UK's equivalent of the FBI.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Rexroom posted:

I thought Scotland Yard was UK's equivalent of the FBI.

New Scotland Yard is just the HQ of the Metropolitan Police Service, who are the police force for almost all Greater London.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
So it turns out dumping a regressive tax increase on a shaky economy has poo poo all over demand and sent the economy back into recession. Who could have ever foreseen this turn of events?

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy
It's ok we still have "THE THIRD ARROW" to protect us.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

7c Nickel posted:

So it turns out dumping a regressive tax increase on a shaky economy has poo poo all over demand and sent the economy back into recession. Who could have ever foreseen this turn of events?

Is there any evidence that the tax has anything to do with the recession?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Stringent posted:

Is there any evidence that the tax has anything to do with the recession?

I don't see how you could argue against it. Wages are stagnant and costs are rising. You slap a regressive tax increase on top of that and then the numbers for domestic consumption plummet. The BBC are running the headline Japan falls into recession as consumers 'stop spending' on their site. Another article includes an analysis from their Tokyo Correspondent saying much the same thing.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Iunno, maybe the economy is in the same slump it's been in for the past 10 years and the recent upswings have just been from the massive amounts of cash the government has been pumping into the economy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Don't get me wrong, I'm all in favor of a progressive sales/consumption tax here, but I'm not convinced the sales tax hike is what's causing the recession.