Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Howard Beale posted:

BROK MCALDONY IS BAD BAD COMICS MANS
There's a reason that I haven't done a 9 Junji Lane edit in a long time; his comics have gotten so bad that they are not worth mocking.

Have a repost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Why aren't they dressing up in costumes? I thought that's what 18-year-olds in relationships did when they were alone together unsupervised in a prop room.

F Minus

Mary Worth

"What drugs did the nurses give them?"

Rex Morgan MD

Sara's looking a bit evil there.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Bernice accidentally hosted one party and knows no one. Call Tiffany.

Aardmania posted:

Barney Google and Dick Tracy
That's is not how people from Hootin' Holler talk. And isn't Silas's shop in Hootin' Holler? I do like the fact that Silas's and Barney's tongues are both constantly visible though. It's a nice detail, like the Little Orphan Annie characters having no irises or pupils.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

When does she not?

Genuine question, she has always looked like Damien as far as I can remember.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Tiggum posted:

Bernice accidentally hosted one party and knows no one. Call Tiffany.
Seriously. Everyone admitted that Tiffany was a great event/party coordinator at the prom but now all conveniently forgot about it. Nope, let's call loving Bernice instead.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Psst, they're making a joke about how Bernice thinks she's cool now because she accidentally was in the vicinity of a successful party. I know this is Luann, so its hard to tell what's supposed to be humorous, but c'mon.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
Reply All

Pearls Before Swine

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Somehow, I would not be surprised in the slightest if Luann believed her and in the next strip they are calling Bernice.

Dustin

I always figured Ed was like this strip's version of Dennis the Menace's Mr. Wilson.

On the Fastrack

They're kids. Kids are nice to everyone, especially if you give them treats. They're like puppies. See above.

Safe Havens

Now's your chance to take over the world!!!

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
That trapeze is one of the dumbest things about that inane+insane comic.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Midnight Moth posted:

Safe Havens

THINGS BILL HOLBROOK GETS OFF ON

1. Body transformation
2. Body transformation stories
3. Freakishly high cheekbones
4. lovely metaphors

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Blhue posted:

Psst, they're making a joke about how Bernice thinks she's cool now because she accidentally was in the vicinity of a successful party. I know this is Luann, so its hard to tell what's supposed to be humorous, but c'mon.

I think you're giving too much credit. Quill clearly doesn't know what Luann's talking about, so I think Luann is serious.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Midnight Moth posted:

Safe Havens

WHY DO YOU EVEN HAVE THAT.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Howard Beale posted:

1. Body transformation
4. lovely metaphors

You don't know that.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Howard Beale posted:

1. Body transformation
4. lovely metaphors

5. Animals loving
6. Dangerously incompetent school administration
7. Murder
8. Child murder

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac

Poptropica

Heathcliff

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

ZeeToo posted:

Reply All

My mom does this. :negative:

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

catlord posted:

When does she not?

Genuine question, she has always looked like Damien as far as I can remember.

I dunno. That sinister smile gives me more of a Chucky vibe.

Jane's World

Jane's always in the right place at the right time.

Non Sequitur

I have no idea what happened. It was such an elegant design when I was drunk. :v:

Heavenly Nostrils

Huh. We're not in a rerun? Cool. Could someone clue me in on that Lorde reference?

Kliban's Cats

:)

9 Chickweed Lane 10/28/2003

And you know that second part, how?

Zits

Kevin & Kell

I thought we were done. Really, I did.

:)

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Heavenly Nostrils

Huh. We're not in a rerun? Cool. Could someone clue me in on that Lorde reference?

Lorde is a pop singer best known for Royals: Lorde - Royals (US Version): http://youtu.be/nlcIKh6sBtc

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set knows how to save money on gas.

Working Daze is a cutting indictment on the state of the app store.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Kevin & Kell

I thought we were done. Really, I did.

"Well, he's a boar, and as we all know they're inherently violent and combative." :biotruths:

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

scarycave posted:

You don't know that.

You're right. I was guessing on the cheekbones.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Oh god, I hope this doesn't turn into a 'bullies have low self esteem' story.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Aleph Null posted:

Lorde is a pop singer best known for Royals: Lorde - Royals (US Version): http://youtu.be/nlcIKh6sBtc

No, no, I know that. I meant the relationship of her parent's costumes to a Lorde concert. I guess I should've been specific. Do the denizens of Lorde concerts all look like they should be in a Matrix movie? What, with leather coat, turned up collar, etc? And if so, why? That's what I was wondering, never having been to a Lorde concert personally.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Lorde dresses sort-of gothy in some pictures if you squint. Maybe in a 2014 nine-year-old's frame of reference it's the closest match for "black stylish clothes." A great deal closer than Matrix to be sure.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Green Intern posted:

"Well, he's a boar, and as we all know they're inherently violent and combative." :biotruths:

The kid should just ask one of his serial killer friends (or mother) to hunt the guy down and eat his face. They can't suspend him again, that would be double jeopardy. I know, because I saw it in a movie.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

No, no, I know that. I meant the relationship of her parent's costumes to a Lorde concert. I guess I should've been specific. Do the denizens of Lorde concerts all look like they should be in a Matrix movie? What, with leather coat, turned up collar, etc? And if so, why? That's what I was wondering, never having been to a Lorde concert personally.

I found a video of the final Agent Smith/Neo fight set to Lorde's cover of "Everybody Wants to Rule the World," but it's got like 400 hits so I seriously doubt the strip was inspired by that.

Maybe the joke is that Phoebe is too young (and Marigold is too unicorn-y) to know what the Matrix is?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Oh my god.

Classic Prince Valiant

:(

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I hope the Phantom isn't joking and he really does have amnesia. And then he dies. And something loving happens in the weekday strips! I know, I'm an Eternal Optimist Comix.

Pooch Café

We're past rom-com here. Hell, we're past comedy of errors and straight into wacky stoner movie hijinks here.

Ballard Street

Oh, look, it's me again. I always look at the clearance stuff this time of year, because I just know that next year I'll finally have the motivation to start that garden!

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

Oh my god.

The only sensible thing to do given the evidence at hand is to inquire at the nearest circus tent. Next: HOW AMNESIA

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Selachian posted:

I found a video of the final Agent Smith/Neo fight set to Lorde's cover of "Everybody Wants to Rule the World," but it's got like 400 hits so I seriously doubt the strip was inspired by that.

Maybe the joke is that Phoebe is too young (and Marigold is too unicorn-y) to know what the Matrix is?

Wow, I got kind of fired up when you mentioned that she covered that (Tears for Fears geek, here), and listened to it. Yuck. I liked ICP's cover of "Let's Go All The Way" better than that. Other than "Royals", I've not listened to much Lorde. Are all her songs like "Everybody Wants to Rule the World"?

Sorry to derail, here's a Gelé that we all may've seen before, but it's my absolute favorite of any Ida Eva's done. I might be slightly biased because I may, or may not have a kid majoring in Illustration at the Cleveland Institute of Art. :v:

timg'd because it's huge.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (August 23, 1927)

Okay, art farts, can anybody place these pictures?

Peanuts (October 27, 1967)

Info Dumperbean

Popeye

We are talking about the same Olive that's been in this strip for almost 90 years, right? Where have you been hiding this non-interfering Olive of which you speak?

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (December 11-12, 1925)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

That poor guy's going to be in so much trouble when he cashes out at the end of the day and is two grand short.

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (December 11-12, 1925)

That kid is going to be forced to kill the sheriff, isn't he? :ohdear:

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

I figure Mandrake's dad just slipped in the $2k diamond in the illusion. Or he really, really hates the service industry.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

the fantasy version of "old man can't figure out new-fangled money"

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County puts things in perspective.

Calvin And Hobbes play the angles, see?

Ripley's

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I fear greatly for that cabbage.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Water in a punch bowl, eh, colorist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

Jesus christ it's easy to fall way behind on this thread, way too fast. Finally caught up.

Before I resume posting from my archive of John Darling, some interesting news:

I've been contacting some cartoonists, showing them some of the best edits we've made of their work.

Very positive responses from:

Kevin Frank! (of course)
Dana Simpson!
Paul Gilligan!
and Paige Braddock!

(well, I don't know what Paige's response actually was, but her assistant said "oh god, she'll love this".)

• Locked thread