Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Why the hell is "I'm $200,000 in debt" in these posts always followed soon after by "I'd like to buy a home soon". Dude, that's not a priority at the moment.

Because a shocking number of people think that debt and home ownership are the keys to living a middle class lifestyle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

tentish klown posted:

Interestingly, in the UK the student loan is probably the best loan you can possibly get. Interest rate is the base rate + 1%, capped at RPI (inflation), so currently 1.5%. Repayments are set at 9% of your income above £16,910. Easy.

If your student loan is backed by the government then interest rates aren't too bad in the U.S. either. Even private loans (of which I have two) aren't bad interest wise.

The problem with student loan debt is borrowing too much and deferring for too long. There was a story on NPR last year about a guy who borrowed around 20k that's now over 100k because he kept deferring the payments. I think he's obligated to pay $1000 a month for the next 30 years to pay off the loan (final cost with interest will be close to 400k).

MickeyFinn posted:

Because a shocking number of people think that debt and home ownership are the keys to living a middle class lifestyle.

Depending on your income, not getting that mortgage interest deduction can really hurt. Not saying these people should take on the obligation and higher costs of maintenance associated with home ownership, just that it can look like a good financial deal on paper.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 27, 2014

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
In gambling there's a concept called the Threshold of Pain. Once you lose more than you find comfortable, you'll easily lose 5x as much. I know this certainly contributed to the time I got way over my head. I'm already paying xxx a month servicing debt and I don't have everything I want. What's xxx+1?

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Krispy Kareem posted:

If your student loan is backed by the government then interest rates aren't too bad in the U.S. either. Even private loans (of which I have two) aren't bad interest wise.

The problem with student loan debt is borrowing too much and deferring for too long. There was a story on NPR last year about a guy who borrowed around 20k that's now over 100k because he kept deferring the payments. I think he's obligated to pay $1000 a month for the next 30 years to pay off the loan (final cost with interest will be close to 400k).

I think you've got the terms mixed up ... in the US, during deferment period the gov't pays the interest accrued, so a balance of 20K will stay 20K after deferment. In a forbearance you arn't required to make payments but interest accrues and is capitalized at the end of the forbearance so that is what you want to avoid.

With private student loans you are hosed because the interest rates tend to be higher and they don't offer deferments or any kind of relief that helps you whatsoever.

No discharge in bankruptcy for you in any of these cases either!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Breetai posted:

His bright idea for how to get out of the hole was to deliberately take on 6k of credit card debt :allears:

Maybe the interest rate was lower.

Hey, that'd be a good way to get out of student loans.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Why the hell is "I'm $200,000 in debt" in these posts always followed soon after by "I'd like to buy a home soon". Dude, that's not a priority at the moment.

Well they're brought up on the idea that building up a credit rating is a good idea. The only way to do that is be $200k underwater. Perhaps they even think they'll qualify for a sub-prime loan with no deposit and no chance of paying the mortgage, because that worked out so well.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

seacat posted:

I think you've got the terms mixed up ... in the US, during deferment period the gov't pays the interest accrued, so a balance of 20K will stay 20K after deferment. In a forbearance you arn't required to make payments but interest accrues and is capitalized at the end of the forbearance so that is what you want to avoid.
There are multiple types of federal loans. There are direct subsidized loans(which work as you say, but require you to demonstrate financial need), and direct unsubsidized loans(which do accrue interest during deferment, with the school determining how much you can borrow).

Although with the guy in question, he probably was in forbearance just because deferrment requires specific circumstances.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 27, 2014

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

seacat posted:

With private student loans you are hosed because the interest rates tend to be higher and they don't offer deferments or any kind of relief that helps you whatsoever.

No discharge in bankruptcy for you in any of these cases either!

Okay, I did not know that. Then I was referring to forbearance.

Kids, don't forbear your student loans.

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
I have a bunch of un-subsidized loans because I was working full time before I went to college and students like that get 1 full year of the shaft from FAFSA calculations. You get double hosed because those loans accrue interest for the next 3-4 years while you're in school.

They're the highest balance, highest interest rate loans that I have. :smith: I hate them, and my student loan company makes it very difficult to pay on just that one loan account as well. They screw it up every time I do it and I have to call.

Don't be poor and don't take unsub loans if you can help it (but they're still way better than private!).

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

Haifisch posted:

There are multiple types of federal loans. There are direct subsidized loans(which work as you say, but require you to demonstrate financial need), and direct unsubsidized loans(which do accrue interest during deferment, with the school determining how much you can borrow).

Although with the guy in question, he probably was in forbearance just because deferrment requires specific circumstances.

Sorry you're right. I'm lucky that I only had subsidized loans so I forgot unsubs are worse during deferment (but still not as shittacular as pretty much any private loan).

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

tentish klown posted:

Interestingly, in the UK the student loan is probably the best loan you can possibly get. Interest rate is the base rate + 1%, capped at RPI (inflation), so currently 1.5%. Repayments are set at 9% of your income above £16,910. Easy.
That sounds like a half-decent arrangement. But here in Canada student loan rates are typically around Prime + 3.5% with no inflation cap, and zero consideration for your post-graduate income level. You're put on a regular payment plan with a set minimum payment amount, like any other loan you'd take out from the bank. Sure, you can pay out the minimum amounts. But as you can imagine the interest cost would be significant.

lostleaf posted:

That's something I would do though for a different reason. Because mortgage debt is can be discharged in bankruptcy while educational debt can not. If the rates are comparable, I would prefer to take on mortgage debt. If I get into financial difficulties, I would be free and clear in 7 years if I declare bankruptcy.

Granted your students aren't thinking this far ahead but a broken clock will always be right twice a day.
That might be a valid, somewhat-realistic option in the U.S., but it sure as heck isn't here in Canada. While it's much easier to declare bankruptcy in the U.S., it's really difficult to do so in :canada:land. You'll lose everything, and the bankruptcy process is a lengthy one.

And let's be honest- restructuring your finances so you can facilitate bankruptcy in the near future epitomizes "bad with money".

melon cat fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 27, 2014

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Dik Hz posted:

We just recently purchased a new (to us) car and went with the max-term 75-month loan because the interest rate was significantly lower than our mortgage.

Just out of morbid curiosity what rate did you get on your 6+ year loan?

Laterbase
May 18, 2011
You forgot to mention with UK student loans they are also forgiven after 40 years. The only people who have it better are the Scottish. Free uni there.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
Me: Remember, rent is due next week.
Bad-with-money roommate: That's fine! I have five thousand in the bank so I'm still flush.

For those who are new to the thread, he's referring to cashing out his 401k. Meanwhile, another oversized mug and $100 in DVDs arrived in the mail from Amazon.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Laterbase posted:

You forgot to mention with UK student loans they are also forgiven after 40 years. The only people who have it better are the Scottish. Free uni there.

It'd be nice to see an expiration date on student loans in the U.S. Obviously it's a balancing act between protecting borrowers and creating an environment that attracts lenders. I remember having a poo poo time finding money for college, but that was when people could discharge everything in a bankruptcy. Now that student loan debt is permanent, it's a lot easier to find lenders.

Or we could just say gently caress it and make public colleges free for what we spend on our pets each year.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business...on-free/282803/

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

legsarerequired posted:

Me: Remember, rent is due next week.
Bad-with-money roommate: That's fine! I have five thousand in the bank so I'm still flush.

For those who are new to the thread, he's referring to cashing out his 401k. Meanwhile, another oversized mug and $100 in DVDs arrived in the mail from Amazon.

I bet I could get this dude to buy me poo poo

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Das Volk posted:

Just out of morbid curiosity what rate did you get on your 6+ year loan?
Less than inflation.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

NancyPants posted:

I bet I could get this dude to buy me poo poo

We should get him to buy us all giant mugs that say Truck Equity on them.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Comrade Flynn posted:

We should get him to buy us all giant mugs that say Truck Equity on them.

The logo should be a truck that has rolled into a lake and is underwater.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Krispy Kareem posted:

It'd be nice to see an expiration date on student loans in the U.S. Obviously it's a balancing act between protecting borrowers and creating an environment that attracts lenders. I remember having a poo poo time finding money for college, but that was when people could discharge everything in a bankruptcy. Now that student loan debt is permanent, it's a lot easier to find lenders.

Or we could just say gently caress it and make public colleges free for what we spend on our pets each year.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business...on-free/282803/

Federal loans are forgiven after 20-25 years of payment. Less if you work in a non profit or public sector.

You just need to be on the right payment plan for it.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

I swear it must be overearning retard week over on reddit or something.

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2kix9o/need_a_reality_check_household_income_220k_but/

quote:

My wife and I both work and make about $110K each (excluding bonus) . CC debt is $40K and student loans are $150K.

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2kit8s/never_thought_i_would_have_to_live_paycheck_to/

quote:

I'm 29 and make 90K. I'm a frugal guy...

I live with my parents along with my elder brother and his wife (In our culture we don't normally move out until we are married - my bother and his wife didn't move out because they don't make enough). The house mortgage alone is $3000. Other utilities/expenses is $1500. The problem is if my dad retires, I'm gonna have to pick up most of the expenses because my elder brother is deadbeat who has a hard time even holding a min. wage job.

He goes on to say they cant do anything about the
insane Mortgage or costs because it would lead to a 'loss of status.'

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
At least he's a frugal guy. :downs:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
That is great. His dad is 55 an has ~200k in his 401k.

That won't even pay the mortgage alone for 5 years.

But the house is a status symbol and we'd become the laughing stock of the community!

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

Devian666 posted:

The logo should be a truck that has rolled into a lake and is underwater.

preferably pulled backwards by a boat on a trailer that is, also, underwater

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Clearly he's inherited his ideas about status, etc. from his father. As someone says, his thinking about status is the way his dad has only 200k in his 401k at age 55 while making 120k.

He needs to move to a smaller house, get his mom to work at a grocery store or something, and get his arranged marriage wife to work too.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Wait, how the gently caress is daycare $2100/mo for ONE kid? Is that right?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Comrade Flynn posted:

Sounds right. My parents paid almost that much 15 years ago.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

LorneReams posted:

Sounds right. My parents paid almost that much 15 years ago.

Your parents paid almost $100 per day?

Christ, it's $35 per kid per day in my area. There's no way that $2100 number is right.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Laterbase posted:

25 Years if you started between 2006 and 2012! I got lucky, I'm in the band after they reduced the forgiveness limit but before they put the tuition fees up.

Having said that I haven't started repaying yet - for some reason my work hasn't started deducting it yet. Does that make me bad with money?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Spermy Smurf posted:

Christ, it's $35 per kid per day in my area. There's no way that $2100 number is right.

If it's a baby then that poo poo gets expensive, but I think the most we ever paid was around $250 a week for infant care. I don't know what the gently caress kind of artisanal diaper cream they're using to justify twice that price. Maybe they're lumping in all child expenses?

At least they can deduct that. Even after we lost most of our child deductions, we still shaved several thousand off each year as a child care credit.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Spermy Smurf posted:

Includes two meals, and transportation, so maybe it was an edge case. I know it was right around 2K because they often complained about it.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Comrade Flynn posted:

That is either quite high for a daycare center, or kind of cheap for an in-house nanny.

At least based on Chicago prices.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Nail Rat posted:

I think both he and the friend would be in big trouble for having such a large personal loan done in what's a pretty shady manner, without it being reported to the credit bureaus or the IRS.

There's nothing illegal about that unless the initial loan was done in paper money.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

There's nothing illegal about that unless the initial loan was done in paper money.

Really? I would think the IRS would consider the interest income to be taxable.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

Nail Rat posted:

Really? I would think the IRS would consider the interest income to be taxable.

It is, but interest reporting rules don't apply to personal loans between individuals so the guy in debt is fine. The lender does have to pay taxes on the interest.

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

Comrade Flynn posted:

When my wife and I priced out daycare for our <1 year old twins, the prices ranged from $5,000 per month to $2,400 per month, all within a 10 mile radius of each other. Daycare prices are widely variable and range from "Christ that's a lot of money" to "*gasp* *choke* HOW MUCH?"

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

$12k/month in take home pay with only $7k/month of expenses listed. He said they stopped contributing to their 401k's to get their expenses in order. I'll take "not telling remotely the whole story" for a billion, Alex.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Saros posted:

I swear it must be overearning retard week over on reddit or something.

quote:

Most debt was incurred while our incomes were lower (both <$50K 5 years ago). This year we bought a house for $465K and have spent about $50K cleaning it up

Does not compute.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/2kkwwd/working_just_to_pay_the_bills_uk/

Yeah...

quote:

"he works a minimum wage part time job (this is by choice by the way so he can spend more time on his music)"
...and they are not even a couple anymore. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
He's a "musician type". Did she expect him to be good with money?

• Locked thread